[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
I am having an existential crisis.

I am building Aryel, Knight of Windgrace.

I have pulled easily over 600 cards from my collection - and there are still cards that I was looking for that I haven't found yet.

While pulling cards out, I started noticing trends and themes I could do - like soldiers. Soldiers and knights pair very well together, and mass soldier summoning/buffs can really boost your knight army. Or legendary/historic - Dominaria gave a really nice historic theme, plus, equipment.

But then... my god - there are so many crappy white Knight cards. It's amazing. I could make this deck... really... really bad. And I am so tempted to do it. I could have a full on Flanking theme, with knights, on noble steeds! Chargeing forward for Valor and Glory on a Noble Purpose with a Righteous Cause.

Why is that so appealing?
Because sometimes a deck doesn't need to be the best, it needs to be the funniest.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I think I ended up middle of the road.

I'ma load this up, and take a look.

----

I think I've cut too many knights:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21576

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago

I have pulled easily over 600 cards from my collection - and there are still cards that I was looking for that I haven't found yet.

While pulling cards out, I started noticing trends and themes I could do - like soldiers. Soldiers and knights pair very well together, and mass soldier summoning/buffs can really boost your knight army. Or legendary/historic - Dominaria gave a really nice historic theme, plus, equipment.

But then... my god - there are so many crappy white Knight cards. It's amazing. I could make this deck... really... really bad. And I am so tempted to do it. I could have a full on Flanking theme, with knights, on noble steeds! Chargeing forward for Valor and Glory on a Noble Purpose with a Righteous Cause.

Yes.

Good, good. Let the jank flow through you.

:grin:

But seriously, when was the last time you built some jank tribal? Maybe it's a subconscious yearning etc metaphysical doo-dad psychological thingy.

In my world, I'm getting a bit salty with USPS and a card order I've been waiting on for over a week now.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Been a while. Usually I build highly recursive synergy decks.

This one is half and half right now. Having put it into a deck list made me see that most of the value is just in a few cards, and having played it a bit tonight really drives in how little searching there is in the deck (which was by design). I think with a few tweaks, I can actually make this into a deck that would be decent, on theme, and able to be loaned out.

If I cut the high value cards, and up the card draw (was a bit light), It should be quite interesting.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago

The jank is strong in this one!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I think.... I might be building Arcades Sabboth. It definately has Craw Wurm and Serra Angel in the 99.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sanity_Eclipse

Well on the plus side, my USPS problem is slowly being resolved. Among other things, that package has some key stuff for Naru Meha so I'll be getting that finally.

Side note, what's y'alls favorite Serra Angel artwork?
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I think.... I might be building Arcades Sabboth. It definately has Craw Wurm and Serra Angel in the 99.
Might want to dial down the power level a bit there.
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Side note, what's y'alls favorite Serra Angel artwork?
I have to give it to the classic. I'd still like to pick up a LEB copy someday purely for collection purposes, though I've got the next best thing in the old online MMQ promo. The Japanese convention promo is my favorite of the non-original art printings.

I haven't dived fully into collecting the card, but I'm on my way.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Sanity_Eclipse

I'd have to go with Rebecca Guay's art, personally. Old school-ish kinda art, I would go with Mark Zug's.

I liked the (Japanese) Dominaria arts until just now when I googled them to see them in more than 300x300 pixels. Same thing happened with Alela for me. Not even in a "generals have to be pretty" way, I simply saw Alela's artwork at like 1200x900 and really didn't like the artwork anymore. Everything else is intricate and very nicely drawn, seemingly, until you to get to the face. To me, the face looks like it was done last and the artist only had the equivalent of 5 to 10 minutes left to turn it in, if that makes sense. But if there's a new promo art of her some day, I'll probably build her.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

And then there's this one:

"Image"
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Sanity_Eclipse

I think Drana may become Elenda. Got some real Iberian history vibes going on, diggin' that for real. Feel like Drana hit a bit of a rut, need to change it up a bit.

Probably building Lyra too. Gonna have the color wheel in monocolor, at least.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

I still need mono blue for that, but I don't want counterspells.dec

I'm thinking Kraken, but haven't gotten around to it yet

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Do Blind Seer! its been a lot of fun for me over the years plus we now have painter's servant
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

I want to build a mindless beatdown gruul deck. I was thinking Nikya. Any other suggestions, beside Xenagos?

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
I want to build a mindless beatdown gruul deck. I was thinking Nikya. Any other suggestions, beside Xenagos?
If you don't mind ignoring a color, Samut, Voice of Dissent is great. Efficient beater + Fervor in the command zone and you can build the deck with no ways to produce white mana without a problem. I've also had a lot of fun with Grand Warlord Radha, who rewards you a little for going wide but isn't locked into any particular strategy.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

I initially build Stonebrow, Krosan Hero, which eventually morphed into Ruric Thar, the unbowed. Either or would work rather well.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Grand Warlord Radha makes me want to play MLD and/or stax, but Samut with ole Ruric as a side kick should be interesting.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Do it. MLD needs to be used more. Its the only thing that allows Red and White in the past to keep the game stuck in the early phases where they shine.

I get it is rough for some people but if you ramp your whole land base out and I MLD is the same if I dropped all my creatures then you wrath.
/rant
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

I'm a little tired of people saying that Red and White need land D to compete.

White has the best removal in the game, and some of the best recursion as well. It is quite simply one of the strongest EDH colors. It has some serious weaknesses on its own if you choose to play mono color, but even then Colorless options for draw have come a long way. Even white draw options have come a long way. When it comes to ramp, white is actually the second best color - it has the most land search, and even some to-battlefield effects, and also has the most 'catch-up' ramp available.

Red is heavily reliant on artifacts, but with the strength of current artifacts, red's ability to recur and copy artifacts and artifact abilities is quite potent on its own.

Obviously, this doesn't extend into cEDH, but saying that R or W is weak at a standard playgroup is a relic of a long distant past.

---

That said, if you want to run Land D - then do it. But don't try to excuse it as a need to be able to compete. Own up to it. If you run it, take a stance on running it, not an excuse.

lyonhaert

I have begun the long project of re-entering my collection (I manage my collection and decklists/ideas on deckbox.org). It had far too many errors of stuff that had left my physical collection without being removed from the data. Too many times I thought I had a copy of something due to it, only to search through everything 3 times without finding it.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
That said, if you want to run Land D - then do it. But don't try to excuse it as a need to be able to compete. Own up to it. If you run it, take a stance on running it, not an excuse.
Yep, this. Besides which, not all LD is the same. Things like Field of Ruin, Ghost Quarter and whatnot are totally fair, as are things like Wave of Vitriol and Ruination. The latter are more forgiving of a cheaper landbase too - as someone without access to fetches, OG duals and a bevy of shocks, it's nice to have tools to level the playing field.
Last edited by toctheyounger 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I have begun the long project of re-entering my collection (I manage my collection and decklists/ideas on deckbox.org). It had far too many errors of stuff that had left my physical collection without being removed from the data. Too many times I thought I had a copy of something due to it, only to search through everything 3 times without finding it.
I wonder if i could hire someone to do this for me... :hmm: at least the initial data entry
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I wonder if i could hire someone to do this for me... :hmm: at least the initial data entry
Data entry only has to happen once. The real trick is keeping the physical collection organized enough for it to be a useful tool.

lyonhaert

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Data entry only has to happen once. The real trick is keeping the physical collection organized enough for it to be a useful tool.
Indeed. Consistency is the key. I've been quite consistent about inputting new acquisitions for the past year or two. The biggest factor in my deckbox inventory being off was an 800-count box of duplicates and stuff I'd given to a couple in my group as a holiday gift like 3 years ago. I hadn't gone through it first to remove it from my deckbox inventory. Lesson learned.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
yeah but i'm lazy, I mean at least for me once the initial entry is done (what I currently have) then keeping it updated whenever I get new stuff will be easy since it's not often that I get new stuff lol. Maybe I should just do a rare/mythic only collection lol. I know long ago I did post one of my old decks to deck box.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”