[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I love this card so much, because nobody ever expects the mono-G player to go "in response" and that moment of confusion is always worth it. Also it cantrips!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Bummer is, unlike interdict, they can do it again.
They can, if they're not tapped out or something.

And yeah, stifling a fetch can be satisfying. It's still destroying a land, even if it's not as good as destroying a big mana land.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 4 years ago

The fetchland thing is a good enough fail state (just like shadow of a doubt) because the cantrip makes it worth it in multiplayer, but not enough to justify this. This is another meta dependent card for when your facing lots of important activated abilities. It stops a number of combos for the turn, while stopping some splashy plays outright.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Sunday November 10th, 2019; Summer Bloom

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Just had a silly (and rather short) game with my newly brewed Golos, Tireless Pilgrim lands matter deck. My hand was 4 lands, Sol Ring, Ad Nauseum and Summer Bloom. I draw a land (the deck have 50, so it wasn't unlikely. Play land, Sol Ring. Next turn was another land. Tap Sol Ring and land, play Summer Bloom with 1 mana floating. Play my four lands for the turn, cast Ad Nauseum. Of the first couple of cards releaved was Strip Mine and Ramunap Excavator, so opponents folded on the spot.

Morale of the story? Early ramp makes for doing busted stuff, I guess...

hyalopterouslemur

Can be useful with Yavimaya Elder or Mulch or Oracle of Mul Daya. Not something for every deck, but in the right deck, it can be as useful as it looks.

Pretty sure Mulch was created for it, and, since they cared about formats other than Type 2 back then, maybe Yavimaya Elder was as well.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Summer Bloom is a pretty high-variance card. Its floor is pretty low - if you draw it with no lands to play, it's a dead draw. On the other hand, the ceiling is really high - if you can hit all three of the extra land drops, it's going to look amazing. Best way to do that is to have free lands to play from Ramunap Excavator + fetchlands, or Courser of Kruphix / Oracle of Mul Daya to play cards off the top of your deck. Alternatively, just have enough raw card draw to have enough lands in hand to play.

Can also function as a sketchy ritual - pay two for it, then get three mana back off the lands you play.

Not sure if I would favor it over Exploration / Explore / Azusa, Lost but Seeking / Sakura-Tribe Scout, but Summer Bloom is a card that is banned in Modern for a reason. If you have a Tatyova, Benthic Druid or Omnath, Locus of the Roil deck, you're probably playing all of them.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I played this as the spell partner to wrenn and six for my oathbreaker deck. It was gross.

Granted I never found anyone to actually play against and eventually disassembled it but it WOULD HAVE been gross. My goldfish games looked insane.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Granted I never found anyone to actually play against and eventually disassembled it but it WOULD HAVE been gross. My goldfish games looked insane.
I felt this in my soul. There were several years where I only got to actually play magic against other people 4-5 times a year. The number of decks I brewed and assembled with love, only to take them apart after a couple weeks of goldfishing is tragically high.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Sunday November 10th, 2019; Summer Bloom
I'm strongly considering this for Toothy/Pir (I have copy from Visions, from when I played back then), since whenever you draw a billion cards, you kind of need some way of playing some of them, or they'll just kind of go to waste.

It's kind of like a discount Azusa; if you have lands in hand turn over turn, you'll probably just want to play Azusa. If not, maybe this is your solution?

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Fun with Karoos!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Monday, November 11th, 2019; Amulet of Vigor

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

Amulet of Vigor is a card that I don't see that often in EDH. Might be a function of price, but I suspect it is also due to its effect being fairly unique, which makes it difficult to build a deck around. One could, theoretically, play it to mitigate the downside of playing a bunch of tapped lands, or even to turn karoos into rituals, but the fact that you'll only have one copy of it makes that a fairly inconsistent strategy.

Still, it is a powerful effect if you do build around it. Turns stuff like Scapeshift and Boundless Realms into rituals, assuming sufficient lands. Alternatively, use it as a combo piece with Patron of the Moon and any Moonfolk. Very good with karoos. T1 land + Amulet of Vigor, T2 land + Summer Bloom, play and bounce a karoo three times, cast a 6 drop? Seems fair.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

My group's Lord Windgrace is a huge fan of it. True, it helps him be extra explosive with ramp cascades and stuff, but I can't shake the feel he's got a case of winmore on his hands. Still, winmore can feel great, so there's that.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Serenade
UnderKing

Geth all-star
Him, cycling lands, Thawing Glaciers, Disk

ChazA4

Post by ChazA4 » 4 years ago

Amulet of Vigor + Army of the Damned = "Mama!"

Really only play it in my zombie tribal deck, where I have a number of ETBT lands and stuff like the aforementioned AotD. It's great to have an explosive start with it, or to get that last little nitro push over the finish line too, though. I am surprised at its price, particularly given Mookie's assessment that it IS a unique function. How much of a thing is 'forced ETBT' meta, anyway(Blind Obedience, Imposing Sovereign, etc)? Good counter against stuff like that too.

Sinis

It's pretty narrow; the format doesn't lend itself to something like Amulet Titan, and I wouldn't want to play it to fix a mana base that had too many lands come into play tapped because it's just not reliable enough.

I bought a copy when it was bulk to play in Patron of the Moon. It was just generally good in Patron, and allowed for some accidental infinites (or to really extend how far a definite loop could be iterated). It was nice to non-infinite mill out a player with Hedron Crab.

hyalopterouslemur

I wouldn't say it's difficult to build around. It lets you fire off Larry's Disk right away, for instance. Or it lets you get around taplands or the downside of Explosive Vegetation, if you so desire. For creatures, if they don't have haste, it becomes less useful, but they can still block, if combat is important to you. (It's usually not, but think of it as every deck's failure mode.)

Sinis

ChazA4 wrote:
4 years ago
I am surprised at its price,
It's the linchpin of a pretty decent Modern deck called 'Amulet Titan'. Basically it has multiple land plays with Azusa, a Ravnica Karoo (that comes into play untapped with Amulet, taps for mana and then bounces itself) and some big spells (like Primeval Titan).

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

It's a strong effect that goes in quite specific places I would think. Not every deck needs it which is good because it's definitely an expensive piece caused by its use in modern.

I guess if you need it it's going to be great, but I don't generally think of it as a must have. If nothing else it probably makes cheaper mana bases a little more forgiving and that's pretty decent.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Aww, man, I thought the price was due to EDH. Not as popular as I thought either...but I guess when you play Geth and Thrasios a ton, you're bound to get a better impression of it.

Mookie

....I may have completely forgotten that it affects all of your permanents, and not just lands. Not a ton of notable things that enter tapped other than Nevinyrral's Disk, but could be interesting alongside Orb of Dreams and other Kismet effects in a Stax deck, to break the symmetry.

But yeah, price is definitely due to Modern.

3drinks

Tuesday, November 12th, 2019; Birds of Paradise

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Talk about a classic. Love my summon mana birds.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Hey, it's the 6th mox :)

Staple for multicolor decks when I was a kid, for the fixing. I play a lot of birds just because they fly and block and fix, and of course turn 1 ramp is great.

It's funny how many games I've won due to having an extra flying blocker too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”