[Official] Modern Prices Discussion

MashedPotato
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MashedPotato » 4 years ago

cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
From a cursory look at things, it seems like lots of non-pioneer Modern staples are starting to drop at a pretty good rate. We'll see how alarming this gets, but with the ability to reprint any of our cards at any time and the shift in spotlight to Pioneer, it seems many are selling out of their expensive Modern cards...
Curious to know, which ones you looked at? Most of the stuff I that is on my watch list hasn't moved a whole lot, small decreases down.

The next thing I am interested to see prices on is the Shock and Fast lands price movements

Although, I must say, some stuff has jumped a lot more than i expected, thoughtseize is getting $50AUD roughly ($35USD depending on rates), which is a huge amount considering where it came from. But given the price increase on Stoneforge at its unbanning, nothing really surprises me price wise.

I am still looking to build GDS (got the shell) but also looking at JDS, so a price drop on some stuff won't affect me, fetches are still holding value nicely (scalding tarn is still $140-150aud / $100USD)

Additionally, I am glad a lot of Australian stores mirror closely the SCG / TCGplayer prices, most other goods are stupidly expensive (conversion rate + all sorts of gouging goes on here)
There is always a greater power

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thoughtseize has become monstrous in price. Grim flayer and Vraska Golgari Queen are both rising high as well.
I'm just waiting for some cards to reach the ceiling before selling them. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

MashedPotato wrote:
4 years ago
cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
From a cursory look at things, it seems like lots of non-pioneer Modern staples are starting to drop at a pretty good rate. We'll see how alarming this gets, but with the ability to reprint any of our cards at any time and the shift in spotlight to Pioneer, it seems many are selling out of their expensive Modern cards...
Curious to know, which ones you looked at? Most of the stuff I that is on my watch list hasn't moved a whole lot, small decreases down.
Mostly eBay. That's usually the place where price undercutting happens the most, and it's usually the first place you begin to see drops. Pioneer stuff is shooting up in price, while Modern-only stuff that was rising is now stagnant or falling. At least the small sample of cards I was following.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Modern-only stuff that was rising is now stagnant or falling. At least the small sample of cards I was following.
also observing this phenomenon developing in our local mtg facebook groups. Hopefully, it is only temporary.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Modern prices will lose a bit of heat, but Tarn et al won't be dropping soon.
Other cards like snappy at the top end and cars like Thalia, Mh1 lands are more likely to cool, most of the format will cool down a bit. People have a lot of fear. The main ones hit will be the 10-20 dollar Modern only cards.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Surprised Maelstrom Pulse is only 3 dollars now.

It used to be a 15-20 dollar card..

Maybe the reprint killed the price.. similar to how the price of Leylines went down with the reprints.

Ym1r

Post by Ym1r » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago

Did it? I remember buying a foil (although several years ago before the reprint) for 12-14 euros.
Counter, draw a card.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

It's now buried in my order history at SCG, but I remember buying the alternate art version there for around 15 dollars with Christmas discount. 2017 or 2018, not sure.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Maelstrom pulse has a lot of alternatives, between abrupt decay, assassin's trophy and fatal push. (Also putrefy, as the poor man's version of these.)

cfusionpm

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago

Maybe the reprint killed the price.. similar to how the price of Leylines went down with the reprints.
3 mana, sorcery speed, and can't hit lands, in a world where Assassin's Trophy exists. The upside of hitting multiple targets is irrelevant in the vast majority of of cases, and a hard justification for extra mana and slower speed. Much like Elecrolyze, it's a card from an era which no longer exists.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Tarmogoyf's price has been on steady downfall since last year. I own a playset of M17.. have been thinking of selling them before Christmas. With low demand, and pioneer. Goyf prices are at an all time low. However, I was thinking if i don't sell now, I might lose even more if goyf becomes a 30 dollar card somewhere down the road. I got most of them for approx 50+ something each.. is it wise to sell now, or wait in the hopes that the price may go up to the 60's again?

Mtgthewary

Post by Mtgthewary » 4 years ago

I don't know, but tarmogoyf dropped and dropped and dropped now for years. I can't see this changing. They printed so many of this card and people collected so many... Now they realise I believe it was a mistake. So sell it

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks, indeed I'm selling them. Maybe the first or 2nd week of Dec, :)

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

Meanwhile, someone like me who has always wanted to "dabble" in Jund can do so without completely breaking the bank. I remember when I started playing Modern in 2012-2013 and Tarmogoyf was hilariously expensive. Even with MM1 it was close to $200 if I remember right. As much as it looked fun I could never justify that particular purchase. $30-35 for a Tarmogoyf seems about right.

cfusionpm

Holy crap, how the mighty have fallen! I generally don't keep up with green cards because I just don't play them. But not only is Goyf down to the mid $30s in paper, but mtgo copies are $5. Goodness gracious. :omg:

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 4 years ago

Modern prices tanked pretty hard. Did everybody move on to pioneer? Even wrenn and six is 50-ish

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Ed06288 wrote:
4 years ago
Modern prices tanked pretty hard. Did everybody move on to pioneer? Even wrenn and six is 50-ish
Pioneer is the new hype. Everything in Magic is about what is hyped, well everything price related anyway. When it's Modern season, I guarantee you everything rebounds. You could literally make a living off buying staples in the off season, then unloading them in the season.

Same for Legacy cards before Eternal Weekend, etc.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

When it's Modern season, I guarantee you everything rebounds.
Will wait for that time before putting my modern only cards on sale again.

And sad... because of their website change, SCG lost their ability to ship USPS for 5-6 dollars. I can't order anything this Christmas. :(

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

What do people predict the price of Oko would be? now that he's banned in both pioneer and standard.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
What do people predict the price of Oko would be? now that he's banned in both pioneer and standard.
I would say about $15. He's still useful in Modern and Legacy.

You can already see tons of them for sale on Facebook.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

15 dollar seems reasonable. Although I still cannot buy any right now even if he drops to that price. Got plenty of things to spend for this holiday season. Maybe in January or February..

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Can anyone see Zendikar fetches dropping anytime soon?

I might get the ones I need

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

hard to say... people got them at a high price. And I feel they won't like to sell low unless they're desperate for some quick cash.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
hard to say... people got them at a high price. And I feel they won't like to sell low unless they're desperate for some quick cash.
I feel that is probably gonna be the factor that may unkind decision to get sooner rather than later, they probably won't get any cheaper. Most modern staples probably won't, even with pioneer

Mtgthewary

Post by Mtgthewary » 4 years ago

I own a foil marshflat and try selling it since 6 months but Noone buyed it even I am the cheapest... But I am still on price I bought and I don't go down. If they Reprint so ok, my problem.. But I don't sell them less I payed and this is everywhere with this cards same. Wait for Reprint or they never get cheaper, no matter Pioneer is here or not

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”