Pioneer Ban List Announcement 11/4/19

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

This is probably for the best but I still feel oath could have been fine if they got rid of Once upon a time instead.

As a Devotion player in modern I found it kinda funny that devotion was the biggest threat but these bans will put it back to a feasible deck without being a boogeyman.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

now I'm glad to have not bought any Saheeli. WotC likes to have no twin style combo in pioneer.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

Ulka wrote:
4 years ago
This is probably for the best but I still feel oath could have been fine if they got rid of Once upon a time instead.

As a Devotion player in modern I found it kinda funny that devotion was the biggest threat but these bans will put it back to a feasible deck without being a boogeyman.
I see what you mean and I kinda agree, but no way in hell Wizards are going to ban a new card people are buying packs to get. Same with Oko and stuff like that.

Also, since you're a Devotion player, I think it's time to be worried about Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx :(
It will likely not survive the next ban announcement.

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 4 years ago

Felidar guardian i understand, but i'm not that up to date with the pioneer meta, what are leyline and oath relevant in that they need to ban them? Mono-green devotion? What's up with that?
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH
Neheb, the Eternal EDH

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

Mono-green devotion is insanely fast. Leyline makes it a problem by doubling down, providing two free devotion and turning on Nykthos T2 already. A start with Leyline, mana dork and Nykthos means you're looking at 4 mana T2, drop a 4 drop, and now you're likely at 7 mana T3.

Oath of Nissa is a bit more ambiguous - it sets up draws for green devotion, true, but it also allows multicolored superfriends a bit too easily due to the color filter aspect on top of likely being the (second?) best cantrip in the format right now. This probably also is intended to take some wind out of Oko's and T3feri's sails.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Yea this is all fair but thankfully Im only a devotion player in modern where I'm perfectly safe!
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Oath is an interesting choice but I get why they'd ban it

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
Oath is an interesting choice but I get why they'd ban it
I haven't played Pioneer so I didn't know that Copycat and Monogreen Devotion were dominant archetypes, so for me OoN was the most obvious ban choice just because of how easily it can tempt otherwise focused green decks splashing for another color's planeswalker into turning into five color goodstuff.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”