Custom Partners

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

A Magic buddy of mine partnered The Scorpion God with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, which I thought was very creative. He said Hipatra facilitated early game aggro and Scarab took over the mid-late game. Sounds like a potential Commander variant.

What dynamic duo would you partner together?

I've really been digging my monoblack infect deck lately and love the early game punch of Skittles followed up by the late game card draw and proliferation grind of Yawgy.

+
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Tags:

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

While this sounds fun, it is just so degenerate when people build to win. Gitrog Monster and Omnath, Locus of rage sound fun. But xenagos, god of revels and Atarka, World Render is a one shot kill from the Command zone. Literally the rest of the deck can be ramp and things to make Atarka hexproof.
This is also why I don't like Oathbreaker. When you have 2 cards all the time, it pushes people towards broken interactions way more.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I started a similar post on mtgsalvation back when the mechanic came out. https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... -exisiting

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Gadwick, the Wizened can't possibly be up to any good.

BounceBurnBuff

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 4 years ago

100% consistency of K'rrik into Vilis sounds horrible.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben pairs nicely with Ruric Thar, the unbowed for a hatebears deck.

Zur the enchanter would work well with Estrid, the masked.

Kethis, the hidden hand has nice synergy with captain sisay.
Or you could just pair Captain Sisay with Sisay, weatherlight captain.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Vessiliana
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Vessiliana » 4 years ago

Well, really the only custom partner pair I'd like to see is Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade because they really ought to be usable as partners.

Dunharrow

Vessiliana wrote:
4 years ago
Well, really the only custom partner pair I'd like to see is Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade because they really ought to be usable as partners.
Strongly disagree. You pretty much win the game when you cast Bruna.

Sinis

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Vessiliana wrote:
4 years ago
I've found Brisela to be less auto-win than you'd think. IME, people usually have fewer answers for Avacyn, Angel of Hope.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

My friends at my lgs and I were gonna do something similar, but both "partners" had to be of the same entity.
For example, I was running wort, boggart auntie and wort the raidmother

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Vessiliana wrote:
4 years ago
I've found Brisela to be less auto-win than you'd think. IME, people usually have fewer answers for Avacyn, Angel of Hope.
Yep, Brisela is no insta-win. She's a strong control piece, and CAN win games, but there are plenty of ways to answer her. That being said I still agree that these two don't need to be partners. There's enough pretty easy tricks to meld these two in without having them both in the command zone, it's just not really required.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Vessiliana wrote:
4 years ago
Somehow I have trouble believing that. Brisela is better against spot removal and weaker to sweepers when compared to Avacyn. But Brisela also stop people from playing magic. Avacyn is oppressive in conjunction with other spells, but Brisela is just unfun for everyone by itself. There are a lot of answers to Avacyn. You can Fog Bank Avacyn. you can O-Ring Avacyn. There are bounce spells and exiling spells. There are Pacifism variants. You can chump block. You can Imprison Avacyn on the Moon (though the flavour judge will have a few words).
Brisela turns off all interactions - spot removal and stops you from playing cards that can at least chump. Brisela just dies to wraths, because few people are playing spot removal spells that cost 4+ mana.

I am not saying Avacyn is a fun general. I am just saying that it is easier to deal with. Let's just say it has been a long time since Stingerfling Spider had a spot in any of my decks.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago

Somehow I have trouble believing that. Brisela is better against spot removal and weaker to sweepers when compared to Avacyn. But Brisela also stop people from playing magic. Avacyn is oppressive in conjunction with other spells, but Brisela is just unfun for everyone by itself. There are a lot of answers to Avacyn. You can Fog Bank Avacyn. you can O-Ring Avacyn. There are bounce spells and exiling spells. There are Pacifism variants. You can chump block. You can Imprison Avacyn on the Moon (though the flavour judge will have a few words).
Brisela turns off all interactions - spot removal and stops you from playing cards that can at least chump. Brisela just dies to wraths, because few people are playing spot removal spells that cost 4+ mana.

I am not saying Avacyn is a fun general. I am just saying that it is easier to deal with. Let's just say it has been a long time since Stingerfling Spider had a spot in any of my decks.
[mention]Sinis[/mention] and I both run Bruna decks, so we know that the be all and end all of the deck is definitely not to just meld any chance you get.

Brisela IS good, no doubt. But she's far from bulletproof, in the way that Avacyn tends to be. There's definitely scenarios where she will lock out the game. Against a storm/cantrip deck or elfball/goblins, sure. But otherwise, she's not actually all that resilient of a control piece. Ultimately, in my experience, while people do play things like Go for the Throat and Anguished Unmaking, sweepers are far more prevalent, and she doesn't turn those off, aside from a select few. It sort of forces a scenario where you need to decide whether Brisela is worth wiping with the rest of the board. But show me a deck that doesn't run wipes and I'll show you a deck that doesn't belong in this format.

Mostly my win cons in the deck are outlasting the table and swinging with superior creatures, but speaking honestly, Brisela is a game condition I actually don't pursue often - there's even times you make the meld and.....nothing about the game chances except you now have a bigger beater instead of 2 smaller ones. So yeah, some scenarios she's a devastating lock, but she's not even close to the sort of resilience that Avacyn brings.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sinis

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago

I'll go through, piece by piece.

1. It's true that Brisela is weaker to sweepers, but I wouldn't say Avacyn is weaker to spot removal by a significant margin. Avacyn is weaker to Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile and Chaos Warp. IME, other 'premium' sorts of removal you might see would hit Avacyn or Brisela equally (like some edicts, or weird fringe stuff like Silence the Believers). Also, I think the ugly truth is that people play more sweepers that will deal with Brisela than they do spot removal (or sweepers) that will deal with Avacyn.

2. Brisela stands tall on her own, but Avacyn makes every card you're playing with so much worse. Every creature is a near unconquerable blocker. Lightning Greaves make dealing with Avacyn a very tall order. Something tremendously hindering like Aura of Silence or Magus of the Moat become completely inviolate hurdles. Every board wipe in your own arsenal is one-sided and utterly ridiculous. The point here is that Brisela, formidable as she is, will only carry you so far as a 9/10 flying, first strike, vigilance, lifelink, play-only-4-mana-or-higher-spells creature will take you (and, believe me, it's surprisingly not far). Every other card you play with Brisela is as-written. With Avacyn it is not so, and they are almost always much, much better when your permanents are indestructible.

3. You can't really do all those things to Avacyn in practical gameplay scenarios. Yes, things like O-Ring are technically possible in a vacuum, but I find games rarely actually play out that way. There are sometimes Greaves. There is sometimes a Mother of Runes. Sometimes it's a High Market and an Angelic Renewal. Fog back also isn't really an answer; there are other creatures, and they (and boots, and mom) are every bit as inviolate as Avacyn, and if you can't answer Avacyn, you probably won't have enough Fog Banks for every creature I have. It's really hard to stress what an uphill battle it is to deal with a bunch of commonly played protection effects when they are also indestructible.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 4 years ago

I have a couple of decks that play a placeholder commander with my real commanders in the deck and enough tutors to assemble them. Specifically, I still have a prosh deck that's really the Gitrog monster and borborygmos enraged in a deck for noninfinite land chucking. I think that it is a bit too good of a combo to take up my group's offer and just put them in the command zone, but Hapatra + scorpion God is a more reasonable power level.

I have briefly looked at Uril the miststalker and Narset for aura shenanigans, before that deck was Genju of the Realm. There was some other theorycrafting, but it's been a couple of years.

Overall, it can be interesting theory crafting, but there are a lot of powerful/overpowered partner options if allowed without group review or approval.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

No holds bar?
I'd want Braids, Cabal Minion with Rhys the Redeemed
But then again, if I could play Braids, I'd just play braids :rofl:

More realistically?
Having Ghave, Guru of Spores with Vorel of the Hull Clade would be a great way to have a GWUB dice factory deck that isn't just another Atraxa. With pairing, you could easily change up the colors Vorel and Reyhan, Last of the Abzan for just GUB. Grumgully, the Generous with either Reyhan or Ghave would be red fun, although I suspect the latter pair would be too degenerate.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
I'd want Braids, Cabal Minion...
Cool/funny, the first duo that popped into my mind was Braids, Cabal Minion with Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder, but I didn't want to kick off the thread with a banned card.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I would absolutely love to play ephara plus sidisi brood tyrant. Literally everything I could ever want in a deck right there.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 4 years ago

My friend made a partner rule for his cube, house-ruling that all two color generals can be partnered, and it's been a lot of fun. Of course the degenerate stuff can be controlled in an EDH cube. The only problem was Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage because it gave any general flash.

Sinis

kraus911 wrote:
4 years ago
The only problem was Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage because it gave any general flash.
Oh man, I would want to partner Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage and Rona, Disciple of Gix so hard.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
The only acceptable answer to this question is Brothers Yamazaki with Brothers Yamazaki|23548.
You can do that with any other sibling in mtg's lore
So only Savra+Jarad and Jeska+Kamahl XD

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight seems a pretty great one to pair up via partner. My first thought was to pair her with Heartless Hidetsugu so you've got a two card combo in the command zone (just checked and saw this one's also in the thread darrenhabib linked), and my second was to pair her with Ruric Thar, the Unbowed to turn "Take 6" into "Take 12", while you're only at "Take 3". (Add a Cindervines to get this up to "Take 14").
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”