"Help me cut a card" thread

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to using the new Signet in many decks, including this one. A format staple for sure.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Skello496
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
I picked up a Contamination in a trade last night and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Here is the list.
Personally, I would cut the Wayfarer's Bauble or the Star Compass. You've got plenty of lands, plus 11 instances of artifact ramp, so I think you would be really safe cutting one. And Bauble only gives you one land, which enters tapped, and you have to spend 3 to get it.
Compass enters tapped, which is why I said that one, but I'd just replace that with Arcane Signet when it releases.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
I picked up a Contamination in a trade last night and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Here is the list.
Tenacious dead is the worst of those reanimation creature effects since it requires keeping mana up for the opportunity in many circumstances. I would cut that.

I think you have critical mass of those effects and Contamination will be much stronger.

As a backup suggestion I think Liliana, Death's Majesty is really poor overall and much worse than contamination.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago

Here is the list.
You've got a lot of redundancy in multiple departments (tokens, mana, card draw, recursion). The redundancy loses some value with so many tutors, and the most numerous is in the token generation. Dreadhorde Invasion seems like the weakest of the token generators to me and is my pick for replacement.

No Black Sun's Zenith, though?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

xeroxedfool

Thanks for the really great suggestions guys.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago

Here is the list.
Sorry for being late, but I might consider cutting Dark Ritual, since you have so many other more permanent sources of extra mana.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

xeroxedfool

I cut Dreadhorde Invasion. I felt that it was a card that was both redundant and poor later in the game. Contamination is unique and powerful in almost all instances.

OCPunisher

Just picked up a Karn, Scion of Urza for my Traxos deck here. Now, what to cut for it...?

Ideally I'd cut another four-drop as the deck is getting a little thick at that point on the curve.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

lyonhaert

Coercive Portal, Staff of Nin, and The Immortal Sun were the ones I ended up looking at without deeply analyzing the list. I don't know how Portal actually plays out in the votes or if the Sun is going to be a problem for your walkers (all its other abilities are very nice). Definitely a hard choice if you're trying to find the best choice. But you have a lot of redundancy in some areas, so you also can't really go very wrong by just picking something from one of those areas to sub Karn in for.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Skello496

I would cut coercive portal. I feel like it's a neat card, but you aren't ever able to be sure which one it will be. And also, don't you always vote first in those? Because if you do, I would definitely cut it, because the table can just vote against you to screw up your plans.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

OCPunisher

They keep making really awesome cards, so I have to keep buying them and jamming them into decks...

Just picked up Finale of Devastation and The Great Henge for my Yeva deck here. In the past, I've looked at cutting Foe-Razer Regent, Primordial Sage, Magus of the Library, and Archetype of Endurance. Of these, the Foe-Razer hurts the most because mono-green doesn't get much for removal. Any other ideas?

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
They keep making really awesome cards, so I have to keep buying them and jamming them into decks...

Just picked up Finale of Devastation and The Great Henge for my Yeva deck here. In the past, I've looked at cutting Foe-Razer Regent, Primordial Sage, Magus of the Library, and Archetype of Endurance. Of these, the Foe-Razer hurts the most because mono-green doesn't get much for removal. Any other ideas?
I would cut The Immortal Sun for The Great Henge. The Great Henge will almost always cost less, ramps you, and draws you more cards.

I'd also cut Ugin, the Ineffable for Finale of Devastation. Ugin doesn't really fit with the rest of the deck anyway, and Finale is way more versatile and usually just a straight up wincon.

Skello496

Hey all! So I run a +1/+1 counter deck with Vigor in it, and I am thinking of cutting it for Return of the Wildspeaker because I feel like Vigor is kind of Win-More in that deck. Thoughts?
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

lyonhaert

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Hey all! So I run a +1/+1 counter deck with Vigor in it, and I am thinking of cutting it for Return of the Wildspeaker because I feel like Vigor is kind of Win-More in that deck. Thoughts?
Sounds fine to me. I've never slotted Vigor into a +1/+1 counters deck, either, though I kinda want to try it in Ayula because she needs the help and its interaction with fighting is hilarious.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I'm guessing it's the Nylea list? If so, I see your point - you'll already be fielding chunky bois who are going to be tramply, so this is a little bit on the winmore side. Seems like a decent swap.

Vigor shines brightest in decks where you have to venture into combat, yet your creatures are fragile. It's more of an evasion piece than anything else, really. It's also hilarious if you're in red and can get some damage wipes going.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

lyonhaert

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm guessing it's the Nylea list? If so, I see your point - you'll already be fielding chunky bois who are going to be tramply, so this is a little bit on the winmore side. Seems like a decent swap.

Vigor shines brightest in decks where you have to venture into combat, yet your creatures are fragile. It's more of an evasion piece than anything else, really. It's also hilarious if you're in red and can get some damage wipes going.
One of the most hilarious interactions I've heard of with Vigor is it plus Dragonlair Spider plus Gruul Ragebeast. But yeah, Blasphemous Act is hilarious, too.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Skello496

Yeah that's kind of where I'm leaning. I think i'll Make the swap. Doubling Season is already going out for The Great Henge because that's also Winmore.
I'm thinking Vigor will go into Ghired instead as evasion for him so I can swing through and populate more.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Ghired's a fantastic home for Vigor, yeah. Speaking from personal experience here. Would be nice to get to see your lists, not just a deck name-drop in the sig - we've got two commanders overlapping. I'm particularly curious about the Ghired, as I'm gearing up to write him up into another primer, and could use exposure to various builds and include ideas to try to spot good cards I should be running or at least mentioning.

I'd argue Doubling Season isn't winmore. That said, I'd probably run a bunch of mana doublers ahead of it.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Skello496

Well, I would say that for the purposes of my Nylea deck, Unbound Flourishing is better, and the couple times that DS has stayed out haven't really been changed by it being there. It doubles counters on an already massive creature, which usually doesn't have enough effect at that point in the game.
I've been trying to get my lists up, I just don't have time. I'll try to get my decklist done for those two Soon.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

You have to take down multiple people from 40 life. Straight-up aggro needs all the help it can get with that, and I'm pretty sure that whatever Doubling Season is contributing makes a difference :P That said, Unbound Flourishing is effortlessly better, yes.

Thanks, looking forward to them :)

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

OCPunisher

My Rakdos deck here would like to add a Void Winnower and a Kaervek the Merciless. This is one of my more casual decks, with a few pet red cards that I really enjoy playing and don't have much of a home anywhere else (i.e. Sunbird's Invocation, Warstorm Surge, Etali, Primal Storm, Neheb, the Eternal, etc).

shandiris

Post by shandiris » 4 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
My Rakdos deck here would like to add a Void Winnower and a Kaervek the Merciless. This is one of my more casual decks, with a few pet red cards that I really enjoy playing and don't have much of a home anywhere else (i.e. Sunbird's Invocation, Warstorm Surge, Etali, Primal Storm, Neheb, the Eternal, etc).
I would say these are all possible cuts.
Palace Siege
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
Angrath, the Flame Chained
Overseer of the Damned
Chandra's Ignition

shandiris

Post by shandiris » 4 years ago

I'm looking for some space in my Edgar Markov list, https://archidekt.com/decks/236778#IRL2:_Markov_Legion
Probable includes are going to be Judith, Scourge Diva, Legion's Landing. Idol of Oblivion, Bloodline Keeper, Dark Prophecy and a Knight of the Ebon Legion.
It's a pretty balls to the wall aggro list, which has some reach thanks all the aristocrat cards and stuff like Bolas' Citadel and Elenda, the Dusk Rose.

Any other card suggestions are also welcome.

OCPunisher

shandiris wrote:
4 years ago
I'm looking for some space in my Edgar Markov list, https://archidekt.com/decks/236778#IRL2:_Markov_Legion
Probable includes are going to be Judith, Scourge Diva, Legion's Landing. Idol of Oblivion, Bloodline Keeper, Dark Prophecy and a Knight of the Ebon Legion.
It's a pretty balls to the wall aggro list, which has some reach thanks all the aristocrat cards and stuff like Bolas' Citadel and Elenda, the Dusk Rose.

Any other card suggestions are also welcome.
First, unless you budget is super tight, I think you could afford to upgrade your land base a bit. If you really are an "aggro" deck, then waiting for tap-lands like the Gate cycle and the Scoured Barrens cycle is not a price you want to pay. I'd start with the check-land cycle, and the filter-land cycle, again depending on your budget. You're also really heavy on Swamps, which makes some sense given your build, but I would cut Aether Hub and Survivors' Encampment for a Plains and a Mountain.

Make sure you don't fall into the tribal trap. Just because a card has the word "vampire" somewhere on it doesn't mean it's good enough for this format.

For spells, all of the cards you want to add seem like solid upgrades. I'd cut any of the following for them:
- Adanto Vanguard is better in other formats than this one.
- Bloodtracker seems overpriced for the payoff you get.
- Changeling Outcast, Duskborne Skymarcher, Gifted Aetherborn, Insolent Neonate, Skymarcher Aspirant, Stromkirk Noble, Vampire Cutthroat, Vampire Lacerator, Vampire of the Dire Moon, and Vicious Conquistador just aren't good enough for this format.
- How often do you benefit from the madness granted by Falkenrath Gorger? My guess is not often enough for an otherwise vanilla 2/1 body.
- Serra Ascendant: How often does your life total stay above the requisite 30? She's great early, but gets a lot worse later if you don't have the consistent lifegain.
- What's the purpose of Possibility Storm? Doesn't seem like an aggro card.
- Same with Paradise Mantle and Springleaf Drum. Signets and Talismans are cheap and effective.
- Last One Standing seems a little too random and doesn't line up with your core strategy. I'd rather have something like Dusk // Dawn or Austere Command or Retribution of the Meek to take advantage of the smaller size of your guys.

Hope that helps you!

Hazzenko

Post by Hazzenko » 4 years ago

I have an Anje WGD combo and want to put a land-based damage to finish the game if the initial plan fails. The manabase is a bit tight with 35 land, with few slots to colorless lands (Drownyard Temple and Geier Reach Sanitarium are very useful), but wish to cut three basics to go down to 34 and to put two of the land-based damage:

- Shivan Gorge: didn't target, hits all opponents.
- Sunscorched Desert: one target, may be reduced by some effects.
- Stensia Bloodhall: one target, harder to reduce, can hit planeswalker if needed.
Nonsense Grenzo || Kess || Mogis || Anje || Obosh || Xantcha || Infernal Kirin || Haunt || Ayara

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”