[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Well enemy fetches were only in Zendikar and the Modern Masters sets, so they wouldn't be legal in Frontonier.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Oh yeah. They came through during one of my hiatuses from the game, so I hadn't really placed them in the timeline.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Seems more like Legacy → Vintage → Modern → Pioneer to me, as all non-rotating formats, since Standard rotates.
yeah, it seems to me anyway that they are trying hard to keep players invested while side stepping having to worry about reprints that would upset the nature of standard and the elephant in the room RL.

I don't follow the tours or anything,so when was the last time there was a legacy event or hell a vintage one?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I don't follow the tours or anything,so when was the last time there was a legacy event or hell a vintage one?
Both of them get played at Eternal Weekend, which is one per year in both North America and Europe. Legacy occasionally sees larger tournaments and up until now has been part of team events on a pretty regular basis. SCG runs the occasional larger legacy event as well. Other than Eternal Weekend, I think there are a couple big vintage tournaments in Europe (like Nebraska's War), but nothing else I'm aware of elsewhere. Both of them are mostly online or smaller local things at this point.

I know there are a couple legacy weeklies around me if I ever feel like going out to play with quite a few more options if I'm willing to drive a couple hours. No idea where I could play paper vintage without significant travel, even if I had the cards to do it.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

For anyone who hasn't seen it, by the way, we're doing a pumpkin carving contest! :)

We had a generous moderator pitch in for some really cool prizes, so it'd be great to see some of you guys join in the fun!

Hermes_

Well the chance for fetches in standard are now at the lowest possible chance

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

And Fabled Passage started shooting up. :mad:
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I was expecting a fetch reprint in ZEN3. I figured that they were consciously avoiding land type lands to pair up with them, waiting for RAV3 to sod off from standard first. They literally just put out Fabled Passage, showing they're not opposed to the idea of a fetch land existing. This announcement kills that immediately. They won't print and immediately ban a full cycle of lands in their new darling format.

I have no stake in a fetch reprint, as I have all the fetches I already need, but this is just sad.
Innit sad how my gut reaction to Pioneer turned out to be correct?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

But the design team has always been against fetchlands in standard ever since Tarkir block. If anything I was hoping ZEN3 was going to print the enemy colours of the battle land cycle.

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

Serpent_Steve wrote:
4 years ago
But the design team has always been against fetchlands in standard ever since Tarkir block. If anything I was hoping ZEN3 was going to print the enemy colours of the battle land cycle.
That's my hope/expectation as well.

I think that all the four color decks back when Tarkir was in Standard was considered a bad thing. Fetches, in my mind, have been high on the Storm Scale since then because of they end up being a barrier to entry into Standard play. Fetches are almost always going to be spendy because every format they're legal in wants as many of them as possible.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Fetches by themselves are not that crazy. The problems begin when you have both fetches and duals with land types. That's what happened with KTK - BFZ brought tangos. Plus, they weren't that spendy back when they were in standard - Wooded Foothills cost a single-digit number of dollars for a bit at one point.

It seemed that R&D learned from their error this time around, as already mentioned. From my personal selfish perspective, I'll happily take enemy tangos over fetches. But for the overall health of various non-new eternal formats, it'd be good to reprint them. I still feel the stars were aligning really nicely for that.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I think my next deck is gonna be Syr Konrad. Been noodling ideas around and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

I really like Naru Meha as a card and potential general. But looking at typical decks over on TappedOut makes it look like a fairly typical U infinite combo kinda deck.

That being said, I'm still theorying and sleeving up a list since I have most of it already. Putting my own spin on it a little bit too, having a few different ways to win, unique cards like Amnesia and Psionic Blast.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Hermes_

I'm going to commission a friend to do a drawing of one of the characters in my book, it's the first time i've commissioned any type of art work. I also plan to pay a little more than she ask for.

Sanity_Eclipse

Nice! Main character? Secondary? What's the character like?
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Hermes_

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Nice! Main character? Secondary? What's the character like?
Secondary (Abigail), here's a link to the story..at least what i have done so far https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jFa ... sp=sharing

Yatsufusa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

A few weeks ago I dropped by a local gaming convention, but being not into video games now (regressed to lazy mobile gaming for most part), there wasn't too much for me. Turns out there was a booth by a LGS (only been there a few times because it's not exactly near and I'm lucky to be quite spoilt for choices for LGS to patronize), so I decided why not buy a Collector Booster since I literally had nothing to buy there anyway.

I steered clear of those before, especially seeing how the big-spenders at the LGS I go most often opened them to massive losses most of the time on release weekend (opted to buy singles for EDH, thank goodness I grabbed that foil Fabled Passage before Pioneer got announced...), but buying some Modern Horizons instead, while generally safer, felt less special since I was already at a convention anyway, Plus I was most definitely only buying one and will take my losses.

Extended art turned out to be Questing Beast, so I really lucked out there, convention luck really kicking in (I remembered doing the same thing with an Eternal Masters booster a few years back also at a convention, ended up with Sneak Attack and a foil Entomb). Foil was only a regular-border Gilded Goose, but it was pretty fitting considering I remembered seeing some Untitled Goose cosplayers at the convention and I could use it as Bird number two for Animar anyway.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

People have been having questionable luck with Eldraine Collector Boosters because there tend to be 4 packs to a box with the really good foil rare/mythic (extended art or alt border+art)... all next to each other sequentially. Variation exist from wrap-around such as 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end, but it means people can get boxes and and up with quite a number of booster packs they can sell that they know aren't those 4, after opening enough to determine which those are.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Registration for the DC Commandfest is finally open. Who will I see there?

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Almost certainly me. I just gotta figure out how much time to spend there.

Side note: I'm way more excited seeing it's Chantilly and not actual factual DC. From work, I'm well acquainted with how much nicer it is to just fly down route 15 rather than touch any road with a "95" in the name.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Oh hey, [mention]Feyd_Ruin[/mention] has added the foil icon to card tags. Check out the details here.

Sanity_Eclipse

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Oh hey, Feyd_Ruin has added the foil icon to card tags. Check out the details here.
Niiiiiiice. :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Feyd_Ruin!
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Registration for the DC Commandfest is finally open. Who will I see there?
Most definitely me, I just need to figure whether I want the 1 day or 3 day pass.
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Almost certainly me. I just gotta figure out how much time to spend there.

Side note: I'm way more excited seeing it's Chantilly and not actual factual DC. From work, I'm well acquainted with how much nicer it is to just fly down route 15 rather than touch any road with a "95" in the name.
Oh my god, it IS in Chantilly! It's so close to me, I can't NOT show up.

Hermes_

So,there's one of those plastic storage things with a deck and three booster for sell at my local walmart, the three boosters are two guilds of ravnica and an unstable....i'm tempted to buy to see what the deck is.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
So,there's one of those plastic storage things with a deck and three booster for sell at my local walmart, the three boosters are two guilds of ravnica and an unstable....i'm tempted to buy to see what the deck is.
It's gonna be some crap intro deck. I have been disappointed every time I've ever bought those mystery boxes and whatnot from Walmart. The only good thing about the one you describe is the box itself. Sadly, I keep seeing people on Facebook who find really good packs like the Masters series.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”