[SCD] Once Upon A Time

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

OnceUponATime.jpg
Hi, interested to know what are the experiences of people with this new card. I heard from another forum that having four allows to trim two lands from the deck. Is this true?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
OnceUponATime.jpg

Hi, interested to know what are the experiences of people with this new card. I heard from another forum that having four allows to trim two lands from the deck. Is this true?
The idea is that in a typical 60 card deck with around 20 lands and 20 creatures, if you get a Once Upon A Time in your opening hand and cast it for free, you have about a 90% chance of hitting a creature and a land. That's really good odds, especially for a card that can be free on turn one. In fact, the chance of totally whiffing with the card on turn one (not hitting a creature OR a land) is insanely low, like less than .1%. Because of the added consistency the card provides, you can safely cut a couple lands and extra copies of creatures to make room for a playset of it. What's great is that the card is still good even after turn one because for two mana at instant speed it STILL helps you find your lands and creatures.

Here's an article that explains the details a little better:

https://www.channelfireball.com/article ... ver-after/
Last edited by Cow31337Killer 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Which deck are they trimming lands from?

I think this card has settled into Amulet Titan fairly well along with Field of the Dead. Seems like it can really grind now and put on some fast pressure by making a few Zombies a turn starting around T4-5. It's certainly on my list of decks to watch out for along with Urza now. They're dodging Field of Ruin with Sakura-Tribe Scouts. Seems fairly fragile, but because they keep you on your toes enough it's probably effective.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

[mention]Arkmer[/mention]

I saw it being talked about at the GWx Vizier Company thread in mtgs.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”