Meta Information

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

This thread is to discuss and refer to other discussion of competitive decks.

An interesting resource of Arena performance and build data for bo1 and bo3 is MTG Arena Tool.

hoser2

Of late, I have found yoman5's work to be informative, up-to-date and outspoken. The latest article at Tcgplayer is no exception.

Partly this is an icebreaker. Please refer other views of the meta, your own views or both.

hoser2

Emma Handy surveys the standard field in a comprehensive, analytical and less judgemental way here.

Nick Prince also looks at MTGO results in his overview here before focusing on aggro.

hoser2

I am editing this post to be competitive meta information for the week of 10/7-11/2019.

Another dense post by yoman5 here. Enjoy!

Brian Braun-Duin combines information and a unique dry wit at TCGPlayer.

hoser2

Another Golos Field meta review by Yoman5 here.

hoser2

Competitive Meta Information 10/20-26/2019:
  • MTGGoldfish does an MCV matchup breakdown here with the following bottom line:
    Out of decks with a meaningful number of players at the start of the tournament, by far the two biggest winners were Bant Food and Bant Ramp.
    The relevance hangs on what happens with the Ban announcement tomorrow.
  • Frank Karsten does his own MCV breakdown here.
  • Yoman5 does a thoughtful, outspoken look at Standard in the wake of the banning.
  • Nick Prince takes on the format in a somewhat complementary overlapping review.

hoser2

Emma Handy discusses Food and its alternatives at Star City.

hoser2

Mythic Championship VI was dominated by GUx Food decks. 69% Oko decks going in leading to 75% top 8 representation and all four semifinalists. SaffronOlive does a matchup breakdown. While Sultai Sacrifice did the best in a small sample, it also featured Oko as a 4-of. Simic Food did best of the major decks at 53%. In favor of diversity, the adventure decks and the other sacrifice decks were close, but it's hard to get too excited about them when, in the words of SaffronOlive,
...no non-Oko deck was good at Mythic Championship IV (sic). Selesnya Adventures was the best of the bunch but it only posted a 50% win rate overall while only winning 47% against Sultai Food. No other major archetype managed to win 50% of the time.
Frank Karsten did a similar breakdown on the mothership, highlighting a number of decks including Jund Sacrifice and Rakdos Knights. In my perusal, Gruul Adventure (65% vs Food and 71% vs non-Food winrates!) and Temur Planeswalkers (75% winrate vs Food!) seemed intriguing in a small sample size way.

Another review of the Mythic Championships by Gapollard1 on Aetherhub.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Good, Oko looks ripe for the banhammer.

hoser2

hoser2

• Nick Prince on tcgplayer sings Embercleave's praises. He starts by discussing MC VII performance before discussing a Rakdos knight-based Embercleave deck. While I chug (insane win rate on small sample size) through Gold on Arena with his last brew (Selesnya Adventures), he seems credible to me.

hoser2

Martin Juza goes into deep water with 5 Thassa brews. I'm considering a rampy version myself after having my butt kicked by one. Agent of Treachery, flicker Agent is very good.

hoser2

Nick Prince surveys the Standard field on Tcgplayer. Not much evaluation, but a wide overview. Seth Manfield focuses on three Standard decks, also at Tcgplayer (Caveat: a week old, but maybe some still useful ideas).

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

it's interesting to see Seth had Elementals in his article, deck has always seemed interesting. Meta seems a lot more diverse now but it's early in the new meta

hoser2

Nick prince analyzes Standard informatively here.

hoser2

My lack of contributions does not reflect the rich and evolving Standard metagame. Out of Worlds 2020, it looked to some like a solved metagame of Mono-R, Temur Reclamation, Azorius Control and Jeskai Fires.
But not to Aaron Gertler. After taking it to the top of the Arena ladder, he brought Temur Clover to Dreamhack Anaheim and smashed it (tournament report)!
There is information on the post Dreamhack evolution:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive Discussions”