[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
These are good includes for that topic about less-than-3cmc cards. Establishing a board state and replacing themselves is so nice. No ground attackers (maybe deathtouch?) will challenge you early.

I think I almost always run Elvish Visionary over WoB. Clamp and able to attack are great advantages. EV probably never gets targeted removal directed at it...unless it is something like Electrolyze. =P
I think a lot of people should be playing Visionary too. While my collection is Mardu, I will always (except in Kaalia) windmill my version of it in Dusk Legion Zealot. These types of cards are so bland in appearance on paper but the reality is these really are a bit more akin to the glue of a deck. Similarly, Thraben Inspector is so sneaky good that most people miss it until you start welding the clue (or you've cracked your third clue and started crewing looter scooter in a game).

No, I can't imagine I'd electrolyze your visionary unless it were in response to said aforementioned clamp. :P

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Yeah, a 2-drop cantrip is good. They pass the Sun Titan test. And since everybody plays Panharmonicon, you're basically getting a cheap Divination that Sun Titan can reuse. Omens also has use in Alesha, who Smiles at Death, but she can do so much more.

The Sun Titan option also gives you Carven Caryatid in green. Actually, a gw Sun Titan package would include a surprising number of cantrip creatures.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I should probably be running Wall of Omens in my Brago deck. I'd skip on Wall of Blossoms though - could theoretically run it in Animar, but I prefer for my creatures to be able to attack for Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

Analyzing the cards directly... a 0/4 wall that cantrips on ETB is fine, but not exciting. I wouldn't play it in a deck without some sort of synergies - either because I have ways to blink/recur it, or I care about defenders, or I really value a cheap body that draws a card. Elvish Visionary is often going to be superior to Wall of Blossoms due to tribal synergies, the ability to attack, and easy Skullclamp synergy. There isn't really a direct upgrade to Wall of Omens - white doesn't have as many creatures that cantrip.

3drinks

[mention]Mookie[/mention] closest sub I'd imagine would be Mentor of the Meek but it both costs mana and is limited.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Sunday, October 13th. 2019; Chaos Warp

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

I always run this in my red decks.

Sometimes, your opponent flips over a non-permanent, and other times, it backfires. However, it usually hits a land or something else not immensely impactful while getting rid of anything threatening.

3drinks

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to Radiate this.... trollface.jpg

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Chaos warp should read:
shuffle target permanent into its owner's library then reveal it from the top of the deck

Because the percentage of the time it does that is uncanny :P

I even called shotted it once when someone chaos warp'd my crucible.

Mookie

I had an opponent Chaos Warp my Akroma's Memorial back into itself before. Good times.

As for the card itself.... it's one of the better removal spells in the format, due to being able to deal with any permanent at instant speed. More significantly, it's one of the only ways Red can deal with enchantments (making it both a color break and a format staple). It can backfire occasionally if something scary gets flipped, but this tends to be rare. If you use it against a deck with a lot of instants/sorceries, it's possible for it to flip nothing at all.

Note also that the owner of the permanent shuffles and reveals, not the controller. As a result, it's fairly popular to target stolen permanents - this is a great answer to a card like Bribery.

I don't think it goes in every red deck - three mana is on the high end for a removal spell, and it does have a downside. As a result, it's understandable for it to be left out of white or green decks that have other options for enchantment removal. Probably goes in almost every deck in just Grixis colors though.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Unorthodox use: With help, this can turn a 1/1 token into something huge.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

sadgasm

Post by sadgasm » 4 years ago

I love the ability to hit any permanent but I hate that it is all sorts of bending the Color Pie.

My Chaos Warp story is my opponent targeting my Coffers that flipped into my Cradle which was actually about 3x as good in that moment.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
I still have to run into a game with Zada, Hedron Grinder where i don't give enough Effs and just blast it off at my own board...

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I once got CW into my Omniscience
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
I still have to run into a game with Zada, Hedron Grinder where i don't give enough Effs and just blast it off at my own board...
Could definitely be unpredictable. I'd rather do that with Reality Scramble, though Scroll Rack could definitely help with the Chaos Warp.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

Just had one of these stories today, couple hours ago. Stuck on four lands, three basics and a strip. I've got a crucible down so I at least have some action (strip, then replay, stay on 4 mana). Guy [rightly] warps my crucible...into a crucible.

I then proceeded to keep Chulane off U until I was removed. Don't like it, don't come with commanders that don't have to try to be busted.
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
... Scroll Rack could definitely help with the Chaos Warp.
How. Chaos Warp shuffles the card in and flips the permanent in one movement. Players do not get priority during the resolution of a spell or ability. How are you activating the Rack in this instance?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
... Scroll Rack could definitely help with the Chaos Warp.
How. Chaos Warp shuffles the card in and flips the permanent in one movement. Players do not get priority during the resolution of a spell or ability. How are you activating the Rack in this instance?
Mirror of Fate could definitely help with the Chaos Warp
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

[mention]3drinks[/mention]: Yep, I goofed.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

Monday, October 14th, 2019; Mikokoro, Center of the Sea and to a lesser extent but still functional enough, Geier Reach Sanitarium

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

The loony Bin is good value in a looter/reanimation/graveyard themed build. I've had good mileage from it. It's subtle disruption too, in that it rewards your opponents, but forces a decision to drop something. There's plenty of ways you can turn that to your advantage with things like Mimic Vat or Havengul Lich.

I've never played Mikokoro, but I'm generally hesitant to give away draw for nothing with no downside. It probably has its place in hug lists though, or just in decks that struggle for other draw options (mono white, I guess).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

I've only had Mikokoro when I was behind or my hand got shredded, so I'm not a good source on that.

GRS was nice with Geth.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Random Scrub
No shields!

Post by Random Scrub » 4 years ago

I've only ever seen Mikokoro used in two decks: once in a hand size matters deck I had a while back and another in a Nekusar deck an opponent had using it to get more whenever a player draws triggers.

@ toctheyounger

Geier Reach Sanitarium doesn't work with Mimic Vat because the creature has to go to the graveyard from the battlefield to imprint it.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Random Scrub wrote:
4 years ago
Geier Reach Sanitarium doesn't work with Mimic Vat because the creature has to go to the graveyard from the battlefield to imprint it.
Touche. That's what I get for picking a random example and assuming it works without reading the card.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Mookie

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea is a card I see played occasionally, but don't play myself. As lands that draw cards go, it's fairly efficient - easier to activate than Sea Gate Wreckage, and cheaper than Arch of Orazca. However, the symmetric draw makes it significantly worse. I generally wouldn't run it unless I had some way to benefit from my opponents drawing cards - Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Notion Thief, etc. There are some arguments for running it in a mono-red/mono-white deck that is particularly desperate for card draw, but I don't think those arguments really hold any water.

Geier Reach Sanitarium is much more appealing to me. There are a lot more ways to make looting asymmetric than card draw. Madness cards are one option, but there are also a ton of other graveyard-based strategies they can enable - discard any reanimation target / spell with flashback / etc. Also even nastier if you have a Notion Thief out or your opponents otherwise can't draw extra cards, since your opponents will just be discarding. It's also reasonable if you specifically find your deck wanting more velocity - if your deck depends on drawing specific cards, but doesn't have the draw power / tutors to find them consistently. If you can keep your opponents relatively empty-handed, the value of looting will also go down for them.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
...There are some arguments for running it in a mono-red/mono-white deck that is particularly desperate for card draw, but I don't think those arguments really hold any water...
I wish people would stop saying this. There's far more ways to generate the CA needed to proceed in a game than just "drawing grips of cards". R is actually pretty dang solid at this aspect, thanks to this concerted effort R&D has been focusing on in the past several years to address this in very R ways.

I want you to take a step back and listen to this
very closely, and see for yourself just why this argument as it pertains to R doesn't really hold it's own weight, and how exactly there's so very much more than one way to measure card advantage and resource accumulation as it pertains to the commander format as a whole.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Monday, October 14th, 2019; Mikokoro, Center of the Sea and to a lesser extent but still functional enough, Geier Reach Sanitarium
Both Notion Thief and Consecrated Sphinx love these. While the latter is perhaps overpowered for my playgroup, Notion Thief does just fine.

I also like Geier Reach Sanitarium as a kind of slow discard outlet. It's cute in reanimator.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”