MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

You may be aware of Random Card of the Day threads in the format-specific forums. Those are for discussing a daily random card in the context of, well, that format. This thread will be about discussing a random card in a custom card context - talking about its merits as a design, whether you'd reprint it in a custom set, or just riffing on it with a new design (examples would include referencing or homaging the original in some way or designing a card to combo with it).
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/8/2019 is Order // Chaos.

This is interesting insofar as that the original, Invasion block, split cards largely consisted of effects that just fit the card names without regard to whether they had to do with one another, but these feel actually like mirrored effects.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/9/2019 is Quiet Speculation.

A relatively early parasitic card that directly references a block mechanic, and frankly a fine one because of the possibility for great card advantage.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Riffing off both cards, is 'split card' a defined thing in the rules? Could you make something approximating the following that makes sense in Magic-ese and not just colloquial English?

Fractured Speculation 2u
Instant
Search your library for a split card, shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yes, split cards are well defined in the rules.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Surely this too, right?

Split 2R
Sorcery
Search your library for a split instant and/or sorcery card. Cut or tear it into two cards. Put one half into your hand and the other half into another target player's hand.

100% legal and viable, I'm sure. :cool:

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/9/2019 is Quiet Speculation.
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Fractured Speculation 2u
Instant
Search your library for a split card, shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
The reason Quiet Speculation is a neat design though is not just because it is a tutor for an arbitrary characteristic, but because it tutors in a way that specifically interacts with that characteristic i. e. replacing flashback with e. g. madness the card suddenly becomes a lot worse, because cards with flashback being useful despite being in the graveyard is the cleverness of the mechanic.

For your card replacing "split card" with "card with madness", "card with flying", "blue card" or even "card of flashback" doesn't inherently change anything, because any card is usually good on top of your library.

If you used "card with miracle" instead of "split card" you actually would be setting up the mechanic again, so that would be cool, but there is nothing similar inherent to wanting a split card on top of your library - maybe if combining it with something that cares about the converted mana cost of the top card of your library (lame example: clash), but that's quite indirect.

Funnily enough if you had gone the Quiet Speculation route and put the card(s) in the graveyard you'd at least catch some aftermath cards, so that would be neat in context of Amonkhet.

Some ideas:

Split Decision {B}
Instant
Search your library for a split card and exile it. An opponent chooses a card name. You may cast the card for as long as it is exiled, if that spell doesn't have the chosen name.

Create Options {2}{U}
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for three split cards and exile them.
Whenever you cast a spell, if it shares a mana cost with one or more cards exiled with ~, you may put one of those cards into your hand.

It certainly doesn't seem that easy for split cards in general.

Dragonlover

I wasn't looking to set up the mechanic, I was just looking to tutor a split card and wondered if that was a thing possible in the rules. I find it useful when asking CCC hypotheticals to chuck out a basic custom card to help contextualise what I'm on about to both myself and any readers.

Now I know it's possible, I can start thinking about how I might make a card that interacts with it on a less basic level. I'm an intermittent card designer, and the nuances of some less used mechanics elude me.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

How bizarre do we want to get?

Vertrev's Sleight 1R
Instant (R)
If the other half of target split spell is an instant or sorcery, copy that instant or sorcery and you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/10/2019 is Maniacal Rage.

Took me the longest time to realize Cagemail was this card's mirror. Also, I love dual-usage Auras. I have gotten a game-winning hit past a potential blocker at least once in Limited with Maniacal Rage itself.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

That flavor text sure sounds like it belongs onto a colorshifted Rancor.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
That flavor text sure sounds like it belongs onto a colorshifted Rancor.
Or Breath of Fury. It's kind of abstract in how it's talking about rage, not really anything to do with the mechanics of the card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/12/2019 is Bioshift.

Didn't think this was strictly a green effect but I think it works enough to be hybrid.

Dragonlover

I think it works well enough if you squint a bit through the layer of Simic-specific flavour. Green gets growth and transformation in its slice of the pie after all.

Presumably the version that moves -1/-1 counters would be {u/b}.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And in fact it is, which is justifiable because black gets counter removing (and you can leech +1/+1 counters with this one as well).

Dragonlover

Aha, I'd forgotten about Fate Transfer! I wish there were more ways of moving counters around, it's one of those niche but cool bits of design space.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/15/19 is Path to Exile.

By now this is pretty iconic.

chochky
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

Personally I always found Path to Exile felt like a GW card. As in:

Path to Exile GW
Instant
Exile target creature. Its controller may search their library for a basic land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle their library.

Now I feel like riffing on similar pieces...

Diplomatic Disbanding W
Instant
Exile target creature unless its controller pays 1.

Road to Raven's Run {G/W}
Instant
Exile target creature if its toughness is equal to or less than the number of lands you control. Its controller may create a 1/1 green and white Elf creature token.

Path to Enlightenment WU
Instant
Exile target creature. Its controller may scry 3.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I like Road to Raven's Run quite a bit.

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/16/19 is Choking Sands.

Early nonbasic hate... and in black!

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

So, question about counter-moving (cause I don't have much to say about PtE): what colors should get this most often? Is this a mostly blue thing? It'd fit with aura moving effects. Moving +1/+1 counters has been on Simic Guildmage and Combine Guildmage as well. So, blue/green for +1/+1 counters, blue for counters in general? Stealing counters is extremely niche.

So I guess, something simple like these. This feels like a severely under-used mechanic.
Simple Counter Movin' Dude
GU
Creature - Merfolk Shaman
XUG: Move X +1/+1 counters from target creature onto another creature with the same controller.
2/2
Number Cruncher
2GG
Creature - Beast
Whenever ~ attacks, you may move any number of +1/+1 counters from creatures you control onto ~.

Adding to its strength multiplies its threat level as divides and conquers, subtracting its prey from the mortal coil.

4/4

I dunno. I've been sitting on these designs for about a day and just like "Eh, I'm actually not sure what to do with this ability that would be that interesting."

Choking Sands brings up something I've been thinking about re: sets and targeted land destruction anyway. Since it seems like R&D wants standard land destruction at about the level of cards like Demolish or Tectonic Rift or even Craterize, if I'm building something at a similar power level to standard, is Rain of Tears allowed? (I'd put Choking Sands as being slightly better or about on par with Rain of Tears -- not strictly better but often better.)

ANYWAY FUN FACT Choking Sands, Cyclopean Tomb and Quicksilver Fountain (the latter two being remarkably similar) are the only three cards which use "non-[basic land type goes here]" in their oracle text, which is something I'd like to see more of if there's a good use for it. I'm pretty sure that "non-swamp" is a relic of early black having an extremely awful time dealing with other black decks. Terror couldn't kill black creatures, for example, and Bog Wraith (among a couple other mostly wraiths) could be annoying because of its swampwalk ability.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
So, question about counter-moving (cause I don't have much to say about PtE): what colors should get this most often? Is this a mostly blue thing? It'd fit with aura moving effects. Moving +1/+1 counters has been on Simic Guildmage and Combine Guildmage as well. So, blue/green for +1/+1 counters, blue for counters in general? Stealing counters is extremely niche.
For reference: current cards that move counters .

Color pie 2017 says moving counters is primarily blue, so there's that but it's not the whole story as we can tell.

Blue gets to move counters between any two permanents regardless of controllers.

Green gets to move counters between its own permanents, sharing its strength.

Black a couple of counter movement cards. Black's color pie includes outright removing counters (Aether Snap, Vampire Hexmage), so moving them isn't too far off. Daghatar and Fate Transfer being able to move counters was probably a bend for theme. Aetherborn Marauder is an outlier probably pitched toward Atraxa players.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

The flavor of Choking Sands isn't the best. I mean, it seems to me as though an inordinate amount of sand would destroy a swamp as much as any other land, except maybe an Island or mountain, depending on the type.
Last edited by Legend 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
Choking Sands brings up something I've been thinking about re: sets and targeted land destruction anyway. Since it seems like R&D wants standard land destruction at about the level of cards like Demolish or Tectonic Rift or even Craterize, if I'm building something at a similar power level to standard, is Rain of Tears allowed? (I'd put Choking Sands as being slightly better or about on par with Rain of Tears -- not strictly better but often better.)
I think land destruction starts at CMC 4 specifically to limit its efficiency and availability in constructed, so Rain of Tears (CMC 3) would not be allowed for standard probably. They include small riders to sweeten the deal, but that doesn't mean we can print land removal without the riders at lower CMC.

Here's all the land destruction in recent standard sets for comparison, and recent land destruction in non-standard supplemental sets.
M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
ANYWAY FUN FACT Choking Sands, Cyclopean Tomb and Quicksilver Fountain (the latter two being remarkably similar) are the only three cards which use "non-[basic land type goes here]" in their oracle text, which is something I'd like to see more of if there's a good use for it. I'm pretty sure that "non-swamp" is a relic of early black having an extremely awful time dealing with other black decks. Terror couldn't kill black creatures, for example, and Bog Wraith (among a couple other mostly wraiths) could be annoying because of its swampwalk ability.
I got the same flashback. For those unaware like I was until a couple of weeks ago, black used to only destroy nonblack creatures. R&D has removed that part of its pattern and replaced the nonblack condition with other conditions (e.g. CMC 2 or less, CMC 3 or greater, power 3 or less).

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Color pie 2017 says moving counters is primarily blue, so there's that but it's not the whole story as we can tell.

Blue gets to move counters between any two permanents regardless of controllers.

Green gets to move counters between its own permanents, sharing its strength.

Black a couple of counter movement cards. Black's color pie includes outright removing counters (Aether Snap, Vampire Hexmage), so moving them isn't too far off. Daghatar and Fate Transfer being able to move counters was probably a bend for theme. Aetherborn Marauder is an outlier probably pitched toward Atraxa players.
/saves this article so I don't lose it

Stealing counters is an extension of removing them, so I guess it kind of makes sense for black, at certain costs, so it looks perfectly fair if it works with the rest of the set. (Aetherborn Marauder playing into black's greed helps, too.)
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
I think land destruction starts at CMC 4, so Rain of Tears (CMC 3) would not be allowed for standard probably. That's to deliberately limit the availability/efficiency of land removal.
I kind of deliberated on it for a while because 1NN versus 3N (Certainly I would not push for Pillage, or Stone Rain, or Molten Rain -- a.k.a. Choking Sands but better.). But fair. (I guess that logic said Sinkhole was okay when Stone Rain existed, too...)
I got the same flashback. For those unaware, black used to only destroy nonblack creatures. R&D has removed that part of its pattern and replaced the nonblack condition with other conditions (e.g. CMC 2 or less, CMC 3 or greater, power 3 or less).
Black now also gets Murder as a common, at least occasionally. So it has some unconditional creature kills. Usually more expensive but with a bonus (e.g. Liturgy of Blood). Hooray! Playing monoblack vs. monoblack in limited doesn't suck an egg anymore!

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

When it comes to the effect of Bioshift, I see it as a color pie failing, as, for Green, it's support for wide boardstates, which is supposed to be White, while it only shuffles efficacy between stuff a person already has, when Blue's effects in that vein tend to be preventing things from being acquired, or taking them outright. Generally, I see Simic's guild keywords as stuff that fits far better as Green/White, because they're constantly about taking large creatures as triggers for good wide boards. Even Adapt, as a keyword, is all about only boosting each creature once.

Where the Blue makes it into Simic tends to be interactions in the wider cardpool. Bioshift, alongside Adapt, is a good Green/Blue mechanic, where the large Adapted creature, a Stompy property that belongs in Green well, becomes a source for activating other creature abilities, a Blue outcome. The +1/+1 counter synergies are usually applied in a toolbox fashion, fitting Blue better than White, as White's Weenie side would vastly prefer "Lord" effects. But the guild keywords seem to only be drawing from Green. Selesnya has a similar problem with only really drawing from White Weenie on the keywords, with Green effects as tie-ins.

Generally, I see the color pie having a huge issue with White/Green in general, because they can't seem to keep White as wide boards and Green as large creatures. They give White single-target combat tricks, highly offensive in nature and intensely supportive of powerful single creatures, while providing the very best use-cases with Double Strike and a creature that gains power and toughness only itself every time you heal, while Green keeps getting distributed bonuses and creature protection, alongside being able to spit out creatures on a constant basis.

Colors are supposed to have weaknesses, but Green is given more and more ways to ignore the downsides of the stompy strategy it's supposed to have as its creature gameplan, to the detriment of White Weenie being able to work. It gets carddraw. It gets ramp. It gets Hexproof. It gets more and more efficient threats, more ways of generating chaff, more ways to keep things on the board. Meanwhile, White keeps having its gameplan revolve around one or two specific creatures getting boosted like mad. Currently Ajani's Pridemate and Fencing Ace. The former is payoff for a defensive tactic, so it works out well enough as a White card. The latter should not bloody exist. That's a Red card, plain and simple. Fragile, ridiculously well supported by Power boosts, runs over chump blocking, that's Red.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”