[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Leonin Shikari

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Wednesday. Octiber 9th, 2019; Burnished Hart

Should be quite the lively discussion. Personally, I think this card is over played and not near as good as playable as it's current % suggests that it is.
I can't see how there's any debating that. I've tried to make this card work in decks where it ought to give repeated value, like Glissa, reanimation builds, artifact heavy cost reduction builds...ultimately it just ends up being too slow and too costly every time. 6 for two lands that enter tapped is very steep.

That being said comparing it to Farhaven Elf et al, those are still reasonable, and I think part of it is that the ramp is more bite sized there. 3 for a land right away is fine, 6 for two over maybe two turns if it's early game is just a bit too far to make this do what you're wanting it to do. And early game is ideally where you want it so it's not really giving you the momentum you want. Mid to late game at best it's a chump blocker you can sac for ramp, and there's far better options for that (Sakura-Tribe Elder being the most obvious that springs to mind).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

plushpenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

Even in artifact Marchesa, where basically none of the artifact creatures die permanently, this doesn't make it.

The mana investment and payoff is better suited with cards like the mana altars that also perform other roles.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I think Burnished is great when it comes to a slow battlecruiser, non MLD / fast combo meta where you aren't playing green. There are plenty of places it isn't right and generally speaking it comes down to the faster the deck / meta is running the worse this guy gets. If on the other hand you want to play a slow slugfest not in green its great.

I think my favorite places to play this tend to be mono white / mono black decks where you might throw some recursion at it. Black decks pushing big mana off coffers and jamming recursion is a fun thing to do.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Maybe ok in Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle decks?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Maybe ok in Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle decks?

Dragonlover
That's a fine place. Lawd knows mono-w needs the help.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Thursday, October 10th, 2019; Naked Singularity

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Soul Diviner's best friend in a 5c deck?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
I find it highly amusing that they printed this and Reality Twist in the same set. Maybe they ran out of designs.

I have a nostalgic fondness for this card, but thus far, I have been unwilling/unable to find a home for it.

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
I find it highly amusing that they printed this and Reality Twist in the same set. Maybe they ran out of designs.

I have a nostalgic fondness for this card, but thus far, I have been unwilling/unable to find a home for it.
Reality twist doesn't affect u though. Cumulative upkeep is also much harsher.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
I think Alesha otherwise would be this card's best home.
She's up there certainly, but there are still Feldon of the Third Path, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle (the only deck, where I run it) and other artifact centric decks that can abuse it more efficiently.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Alesha? Feldon? Daretti? Teshar? 👮 You know that's not legal, right?

If you're in a proper deck, Eon Hub exists.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Serenade
UnderKing

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
Alesha? Feldon? Daretti? Teshar? 👮 You know that's not legal, right?
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt was referencing 3drinks's post about B.Hart. Not the current card.

Anyone run Infernal Darkness? I fear blowback in running Contamination, and this is a variant.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Naked Singularity is an effect I'm not really a big fan of. It's also not a particularly good version of the effect. Its cumulative upkeep cost is too high to realistically keep around for more than a turn or so without Solemnity / Eon Hub / Chisei, Heart of Oceans shenanigans. It also doesn't do a good job of shutting people down - lands without basic land types are totally unaffected. Which, unlike most land hate, actually makes it better against monocolor and green-based decks, which tend to have more basics.

I suppose there is some mechanical synergy between it only being runnable in a five color deck and five color decks being least affected by it, but that's pretty much the only point in its favor with me.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

what would happen with this out and Quicksilver Fountain?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
what would happen with this out and Quicksilver Fountain?

The table would flip

3drinks

Friday. October 11th. 2019; Electrolyze

I like how it's super effective with Torbran, Thane of Red Fell.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I do appreciate the sliding scale of Electrolyze - Ral's Outburst - Prophetic Bolt. As for the card itself... not a huge fan in EDH. How good it is really depends on how much value you can get from the two damage - if you're killing two mana dorks, it's pretty good. If you don't kill anything, not really worth the cost. I would say that I generally prefer hard removal, such as Reality Shift or Pongify, but cantripping is always relevant. Having multiple targets could also be relevant if you're running Willbreaker or Dismiss into Dream.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I like this card. It's a small Arc Lightning for the same cost, but you get a cantrip. Probably not enough to merit the card being blue, but since Zap costs 2r, I'll allow it.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
I like this card. It's a small Arc Lightning for the same cost, but you get a cantrip. Probably not enough to merit the card being blue, but since Zap costs 2r, I'll allow it.
I'm quite the fan of it. It's very good. He says, as the guy that plays like mana curves stop @ 5 😂👀

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Friday. October 11th. 2019; Electrolyze
Ever since I got this card in the first commander product, I have not played it. It often feels just not impactful enough to be worth the slot or the three mana.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Electrolyze is highly efficient in lots of places. Commander is usually not one of them, however. Not enough 1-toughness creatures you can hit two of.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

I think I only play it in Adeliz, because there clearing out a couple chump blockers can lead to a lot more damage to the face, and being an instant that cantrips helps fuel her. I'd imagine that like all burn spells that can split targets, it works very well with damage doublers and especially cards that increase the amount of damage dealt to targets (like the aforementioned Torbran). In a UR deck based around that, it would be pretty good.

3drinks

Saturday, October 12th, 2019; Wall of Blossoms and functional clone, Wall of Omens

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

These are good includes for that topic about less-than-3cmc cards. Establishing a board state and replacing themselves is so nice. No ground attackers (maybe deathtouch?) will challenge you early.

I think I almost always run Elvish Visionary over WoB. Clamp and able to attack are great advantages. EV probably never gets targeted removal directed at it...unless it is something like Electrolyze. =P

That wall dragon probably loves these, right?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

It's kinda surprising how often a 0/4 is stumping people's early game pecks that would otherwise be pressure. I will run both of these cards in decks where the opportunity to rebuy them occurs. 2 CMC card advantage creatures have gotten a bit worse as commander has overall sped up, but they're still solid if your strategy includes a lot of reanimation or blinking.

Wanting to play Sun Titan is a good tip for me that I should be playing wall.

I play one in my Golos, Tireless Pilgrim mono white enchants deck, as a way to infinitely draw off of opalescence/parallax wave combo, and I am thinking about slotting one into Aminatou as well.

I find Omens to be more desirable generally because Green has gotten a raft of dumb bomb card draw spells in recent years, like Rishkar's Expertise.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”