[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
4 years ago
I actually like Sinew and Steel better because you can ask an opponent to let you deal damage in order to target a different players artifact/planeswalker to get more value.
I like Sinew and Steel because it does something that is hard for my favourite colours in the colour pie.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Having remembered a game I put out of reach of a GAAIV player with Mishra's Factory and a SoBaM, this makes me smile widely. Prot. U is so under rated by a lot of people and I'm never sad to see it. That said, I'd actually favour Body and Mind in the scenario above because it creating the extra body to provide pressure (off a manland no less) has me considering it the better of the two (he had academy ruins and an o-stone but not enough mana to crack in one turn and couldn't afford to take two turns to use it).

Never expected I'd consider SoBaM better than anything, honestly.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
4 years ago
I have all the swords for completeness. Seems they are trying to make them safer every time they are printed. I hope when they finish the set the new swords still have some semblance of value on the triggered abilities.
Sword of Nuts and Bolts: protection from red and green. On combat damage to a player, deal 1 damage to any target and create a 1/1 squirrel token.
Clearly the same power level. /s

I think that Truth and Justice / Sinew and Steel are actually in the middle of Sword of X & Y rankings - better than Body and Mind / War and Peace, but weaker than the other three. War and Peace can be a pretty big life swing though.... I think the main difference is that they're a lot more specialized in their payoff, since Proliferate and artifact/planeswalker removal are a bit niche.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

This is one of the few apples/oranges swords I can afford. It goes in a very specific build, and outside of that I just don't know it's worth picking up. It just seems very much like a 'buy it if you need it' card.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Tuesday, October 8th, 2019; Copy Artifact

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Tuesday, October 8th, 2019; Copy Artifact
It's one of two artifacts that Zur the Enchanter can get! (The other is Spear of Heliod.)

This card can be real great, but it's not earthshattering, and rarely makes the cut in my decks.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Two mana is very cheap and there are lots of artifacts in EDH pretty consistently. Very high ceiling and reasonable floor (extra copy of the mana rock of your choice anyone?) of power - I wouldn't use it everywhere but I can definitely see decks of mine that would want it. Pity it's Reserved because I'd love to see it reprinted.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sinis

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Pity it's Reserved because I'd love to see it reprinted.
Jesus, I bought my one copy years and years ago, and had not looked at the price since. Sigh.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
It's one of two artifacts that Zur the Enchanter can get! (The other is Spear of Heliod.)
Plus, we just got Mirrormade, which i really should add to Brago, King Eternal...

Sinis

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Plus, we just got Mirrormade, which i really should add to Brago, King Eternal...
Oh wow, I glossed over Mirrormade as a new analogue. Well, at least there's something for people to use other than Copy Artifact...

Beyond Zur, there's also Sculpting Steel and Phyrexian metamorph.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Pity it's Reserved because I'd love to see it reprinted.
Jesus, I bought my one copy years and years ago, and had not looked at the price since. Sigh.
It's a two-mana clone (for artifacts) with no downside. And in EDH, artifacts are especially important. Of course it's going to be expensive.

9/10
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie

Copy Artifact is an incredibly efficient clone effect. Only copies artifacts, and has some awkwardness due to it not being an artifact itself, but otherwise it's quite solid. Only real downside is being on the Reserved List, and thus somewhat expensive.

Fortunately, there are a lot of viable alternatives - Mirrormade, Phyrexian Metamorph, Sculpting Steel, and others. I'm not aware of any notable synergies that require CMC 2 instead of 3 or 4 - you couldn't fetch it with Tribute Mage anyway. I guess Muddle the Mixture? It is mana-positive with Gilded Lotus or another rock that taps for three mana, but that is a bit niche.

3drinks

When it comes to clones, it's hard to beat the versatility of clever impersonator. So much so, that this guy made it into my modern deck. Think about that.

But, yes, strictly speaking in efficiency, copy artifact is unmatchable.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

I use it as a Signet with upsied in Wanderer & Tasigur. It's usually something better than that, and almost never dead. Never disappoints.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

3drinks

Wednesday. Octiber 9th, 2019; Burnished Hart

Should be quite the lively discussion. Personally, I think this card is over played and not near as good as playable as it's current % suggests that it is.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

It's so much mana and such a small body. I know it can fit in any deck, but...the only thing I ever considered it for was Jor Kadeen. I'm running S.Simulacrum over it 100% of the time.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

I'm playing Hart in mono red and mono black. I think that is it. Both decks care about having basics enter the battlefield Valakut and Cabal Coffers so I think it fits. Both also run Sad Robot. Otherwise it is painfully slow and expensive on the mana. You have to skip turn 3 AND turn 4 to get this off early game if its your only ramp in hand. Ouch.

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Wednesday. Octiber 9th, 2019; Burnished Hart
I agree that this is one of the most overplayed pieces of garbage in existence. It's so awful. My view of it may be skewed since my group (and me in particular) is hefty on the artifact hate, but when your success case is 6 mana for an Explosive Vegetation, I feel like the card is just not efficient enough.

Maybe there are niche uses for it, but I have my doubts (like, Muldrotha, the Gravetide maybe?)

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

Yeah I kind of agree, this is one of the most overplayed cards I know.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I almost never play this card despite originally jamming it everywhere. It's wildly inefficient and I'm not sure I ever want to be doing that in my more serious decks. I mostly play it where my decks are scaled back so much that they're interested in playing a longer game.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Really inefficient. Probably only worth it these days if you are repeatedly recurring sacrificed things.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Passable in anything but green, and it also passes the Sun Titan and Reveillark/Alesha, Who Smiles at Death tests, so maybe gwx or Alesha, but probably not. Beyond that, it has the benefits of being a creature and an artifact, so possibly Animar, since it's cheap there?
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Never really had a problem with it in Chainer and it might see play there again after settling some other slots - a protracted game is always helpful to me, so the slowness of this is fine. If nothing else, turn 3 and 4 are where I'm still setting up anyway - there's not a lot of action for me in the first few turns. If that means 7 mana for turn 5 then I'm usually doing pretty well. An early Sheoldred or Abhorrent Overlord is quite good. Chainer is more of an 8-mana deal to cast+activate but this still helps get that by turn 6. For that context I don't compare Burnished Hart to Solemn Simulacrum or Explosive Vegetation - I compare it to Gilded Lotus, which also enables turn 6 Chainer+activation but is harder to recur and doesn't support Coffers, Swamp Ghost 1, or Swamp Ghost 2.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

I jammed this so hard in Alesha upon it's spoiling. And every single time, it turned out I'd much rather have a Moriok Replica. And I think Alesha otherwise would be this card's best home.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

I play Burnished Hart in one deck, Teysa. It's reasonable there, mostly because I have a ton of synergies for it - ramping out lands for Emeria the Sky Ruin, triggering Grave Pact and Mentor of the Meek, recurring with Sun Titan... and many others. I've also looped it with Phyrexian Reclamation in a few particularly slow games.

I would say that it is worse than Worn Powerstone by default. However, it's worth consideration if you care about creatures dying or ramping out lands. It's also one of very few ways in nongreen to ramp out multiple lands, which is relevant if you want to trigger landfall or ramp into something expensive without relying entirely on mana rocks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”