cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
I went to Walmart on Friday and grabbed the 6 remaining Brawl decks they had, putting me at halfway to enough Arcane Signets for my cube. Then I'll need ones for decks too, so god knows how many more I need. My life is hard.
Local target had nothing but empty space by the time I checked at 8:30 AM Friday morning, so I'm just waiting for the second print run before I try and pick anything up.
I'm luckyto not live in a big Magic area. I didn't even realize they were coming to box stores, so it was after 5pm on Friday, and I got 4, leaving some on the shelf. Then i went back Saturday morning when I saw they had shocks in them and there were still two left from the day before.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Damn, I didn't even realise they had shocks. That's....pretty good value.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cryogen
GΘΔ†

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Damn, I didn't even realise they had shocks. That's....pretty good value.
Yep. I was going to ignore them altogether because the only two (new cards) I wanted were Chulane and Arcane Signet, and I heard how limited the supply was and the prices being charged at LGS'. Then I happened to see people in one of my Facebook groups bragging about finding them at Walmart so I ran down the street to see if I could get any. Then later that night I actually looked at the decklists to see what I had actually bought, saw that they each came with a shock and scry temple, so I went to get the rest. Can never have enough of those, ya know?

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I'm mostly after the face legends, an Arcane Signet, and a handful of the other cards. Things like the shocks and temples would mostly have subsidized the cost of the box for me, because it's very rare that I use more than a couple shocks at any given time. There's a strong chance I just grab singles later on, depending on how the prices fall out after the second print run drops. If the boxes are being bolstered by the land reprints, there's not much incentive for me to grab them.

Got a few collector boosters as well. They're very much a toss up. My designated pre-con slot was pretty terrible (Banish into Fable was the best thing across 4 packs and I opened both Command Tower and Wind-Scarred Crag) but two of the rare foils were extended art Sorcerous Spyglass and extended art The Magic Mirror, so I think I still came out ahead. No Mystic Sanctuary, which is a little disappointing because odds on that aren't bad and I'm expecting that to be decently pricey for a foil common.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

Yeah, I was only after the face legends in specific myself, and really only majorly interested in Korvold, so I'm very glad my wife is kind. To be fair it's probably a reasonable trade for the Rankle, Oko and Brazen I gave her from my pulls. I wasn't overly interested in any of these so it's probably fair.

The shocks would've been nice but I'm patient enough to pick them up post rotation or just when I have the spare cash.

The collectors were a cool idea, in theory. But man, when you crack it and get more commons than a standard booster there's some real sour grapes to that experience. I think if they do it again maybe just narrowing the pool of possible pulls would bring the value up just a tad. I have no problem with dud packs, but super dud packs are pretty %$#%$#%. It'd just be nice to see something between the nadir of value and the zenith of value with less disparity.

You can tell I feel ripped off on that account right? Not the end of the world of course, but I really did get terrible cards from my collectors booster.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Yeah I'm tempted to get one for the hell of it but also not massively up for the chance of a dud pack.

In other news got the Primer tag for Golos! I would therefore say if you're thinking about it, Primer up your deck regardless of power level, cause Golos is not a 100% deck. Hell, it's barely a 60% deck!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

No luck on my local Walmart having Brawl decks, so I got a fat pack.

Pulled a second Oko, Thief of Crowns, Castle Garenbrig, and The Great Henge (I have copies of the last two ordered), Escape to the Wilds which I'll try out in GUR Lands, Wildborn Preserver for if / when I get around to an Elf deck, Mirrormade for either my artifact deck or for an eventual Enchantress deck, Fires of Invention which is at least interesting to have, a second Piper of the Swarm beside the foil promo one included, a shiny Lovestruck Beast as an extra foil from a pack I'm pretty sure, Giant Killer, and Clackbridge Troll. Last two definitely meh, at least the Beast is shiny, the rest are solid or fantastic.

For being lukewarm on the set overall, I'm certainly having good luck pulling things and it's being really kind to me in . :thinking: :)

(Congrats on the Primer Tag, Dragon!)
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

toctheyounger

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I'm tempted to get one for the hell of it but also not massively up for the chance of a dud pack.

In other news got the Primer tag for Golos! I would therefore say if you're thinking about it, Primer up your deck regardless of power level, cause Golos is not a 100% deck. Hell, it's barely a 60% deck!

Dragonlover
Congrats on the primer tag! The content really did come through nicely, and that's what makes a primer, not how good a deck is. Very little is about the deck, almost all of it is how well the content is written up, so kudos from the committee.

I'd say if you have $25 burning a hole in your pocket go for it, but don't expect a wondrous experience and you won't be disappointed like I was :laugh:

There's definitely better ways to spend your money, but if you want a flutter go for it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Well, I have managed to scrounge up what cardkingdom is willing to pay me $5,600 (before grading) in cash for. I don't really want to think about what it would cost me to order these cards again but in attempting to be a more responsible adult I am moving those cards to reduce some debt before my wife and I have our first kid.

I should still be able to field most of the same things but mostly my duplicate copies of a lot of things are getting culled. I will miss my tabernacle but I guess I am still getting 4x what I paid for it back in cash.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

You are being a responsible adult by doing that, ISB, and I'm proud of you for doing that and making that sacrifice. :)

For what that's worth coming from an internet stranger.
________

Gonna go with Saheeli for my artifact deck, Breya is being retired.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

[mention]ISBPathfinder[/mention] Good for you, you nevcer know how many people you dislike until you go to pick a name for that 1st kid. lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Well, I have managed to scrounge up what cardkingdom is willing to pay me $5,600 (before grading) in cash for. I don't really want to think about what it would cost me to order these cards again but in attempting to be a more responsible adult I am moving those cards to reduce some debt before my wife and I have our first kid.

I should still be able to field most of the same things but mostly my duplicate copies of a lot of things are getting culled. I will miss my tabernacle but I guess I am still getting 4x what I paid for it back in cash.
"You can always have a second kid, but Reserve List cards won't ever get reprinted." - Abraham Lincoln

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Grats on the upcoming kid!

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Congratulations!

As much as we all enjoy expensive cardboard, looking out for the kid is a good plan.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Thanks everyone. God its expensive to send out expensive packages given tracking and insurance. It ran me like $80 to ship it off.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cryogen
GΘΔ†

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks everyone. God its expensive to send out expensive packages given tracking and insurance. It ran me like $80 to ship it off.
In all seriousness, kids are awesome and selling off cardboard to give yourself more financial independence for them is a no-brainer. Especially if it was just your excess.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
In all seriousness, kids are awesome and selling off cardboard to give yourself more financial independence for them is a no-brainer. Especially if it was just your excess.
In a lot of cases I had duplicate copies of things. Like I did have 2-3 of most ABU duels and I sold down to having 1 of most with 2 of very few of them. I also did sell of my tabernacle which is probably the only thing I did move that I didn't have in duplicate but I got it when it was a $300 card so really I can't complain about what I get back for it.

toctheyounger

Jesus, Tabernacle is expensive. But niche enough that you probably don't miss it anyway.

Congrats on the addition, ISB. I think you might've mentioned it before but I guess now you're selling excess value it's official. All the best to you and your wife/partner, may your nights be relatively sleep-filled.

I say relatively because let's be realistic :)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Jesus, Tabernacle is expensive. But niche enough that you probably don't miss it anyway.

Congrats on the addition, ISB. I think you might've mentioned it before but I guess now you're selling excess value it's official. All the best to you and your wife/partner, may your nights be relatively sleep-filled.

Sleep? You got jokes.

toctheyounger

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Sleep? You got jokes.
More like an eternal optimist. Wife and I may be parenting up shortly too, although it's too soon to tell.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Yea, been married 2.5 years now. It took almost 2 years of us living somewhere else for my house to sell so I was paying a full mortgage on a house that was empty. Then I ended up selling it at $15K loss after owning it for 4 years. The combination of all of that put me back a wee bit. I have been rapidly paying down the debt that was left from that but I had to take out a 10% loan to cover given my lack of collateral. I was making good progress on that but then it was like, oh here comes kid #1.

This should cover the last of what I had to borrow on the upside though so I have a little less to worry about on that front. Minimizing debt before the kid is kind of high on my list right now.

Ohhhhh then I got hit up with $1K in dentist bills this year. This is with having dental insurance. Its like I got hit with everything this year lol.

toctheyounger

Damn that's a rough scenario with the housing. That whole area of life is pretty rough where we are in NZ. It's a buyer's market but still rough as hell for anyone but the incredibly wealthy. We're in the process of buying from my brother in law on my wife's side, and he's leaving some equity in the deal to make it softer on us, so instead of 520k it's 465k. There's no way we'd manage a purchase any other way, we've got the market beat by a significant amount purely because we know the buyer. Everything else out there is either derelict or well over 550-600k and upwards. Auckland is savage.

Literally a month before this deal closes, and we're pretty sure there's a bun in the oven. Life happens all at once apparently. So we've had to be completely quiet about it and avoid confirming pregnancy status until the deal closes. We're pretty sure the deal would go south if we were upfront about it, and if they find out we know for sure we are and haven't told them, they can close it based on NDA.

Man, the Game of Life from when I was a kid is sooo freaking woefully inaccurate.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Man, the Game of Life from when I was a kid is sooo freaking woefully inaccurate.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Damn that's a rough scenario with the housing. That whole area of life is pretty rough where we are in NZ. It's a buyer's market but still rough as hell for anyone but the incredibly wealthy. We're in the process of buying from my brother in law on my wife's side, and he's leaving some equity in the deal to make it softer on us, so instead of 520k it's 465k. There's no way we'd manage a purchase any other way, we've got the market beat by a significant amount purely because we know the buyer. Everything else out there is either derelict or well over 550-600k and upwards. Auckland is savage.

Literally a month before this deal closes, and we're pretty sure there's a bun in the oven. Life happens all at once apparently. So we've had to be completely quiet about it and avoid confirming pregnancy status until the deal closes. We're pretty sure the deal would go south if we were upfront about it, and if they find out we know for sure we are and haven't told them, they can close it based on NDA.

Congrats to you as well. I know what you mean on that front. I bought my house when I was in sort of a stable single situation. I got a few roomates to help me cover expenses and then I met my now wife something like 3-4 months later. She is a pastor and her church provides a parsonage so I knew essentially immediately that if things worked out with her that the house I literally just bought was going to need to be sold lol. I guess the upside is that while I had this house nobody was living in I wasn't paying for an appartment / house to actually live in. It has just kind of sucked that for the most of three years paying for something I wasn't using.

Anyways, good luck and I know EXACTLY how you feel on that front right now as its kind of been the story for me as well of late.

toctheyounger

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Congrats to you as well. I know what you mean on that front. I bought my house when I was in sort of a stable single situation. I got a few roomates to help me cover expenses and then I met my now wife something like 3-4 months later. She is a pastor and her church provides a parsonage so I knew essentially immediately that if things worked out with her that the house I literally just bought was going to need to be sold lol. I guess the upside is that while I had this house nobody was living in I wasn't paying for an appartment / house to actually live in. It has just kind of sucked that for the most of three years paying for something I wasn't using.

Anyways, good luck and I know EXACTLY how you feel on that front right now as its kind of been the story for me as well of late.
Thanks ISB :) Yeah it's not easy being an adult. We're pretty sure this is all going to work out just fine, but things will be tight. But I guess that being a parent, there's never going to be a right time or enough money, so now is as good a time as any.

End of the day we're pretty lucky to have family generous enough to help us out with the house scenario. If we didn't have the opportunity we'd never own a house - it's not the end of the world but it still sucks living under someone else's rules and putting money in someone else's pocket to no meaningful end. The market right now is better for buying than it's been in the last decade but that's not saying a lot, the price of housing is still very high here. Pretty sure Auckland is globally one of the highest cost of living cities, I vaguely remember seeing some article about it somewhere.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”