3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

September 30th, 2019; the Checklands;

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Aside from not having landtypes they are awesome.
I've seen 4C+ decks with enough shocks for them to work close to unconditionally.

On top of that Drowned Catacomb, Glacial Fortress and Hinterland Harbor have some of my absolute favorite artworks of all lands in MTG.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Some of the best lands. Also reprinted enough that they are affordable. I wish these would be in Precons a lot more.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
Aside from not having landtypes they are awesome.
I've seen 4C+ decks with enough shocks for them to work close to unconditionally.
I run them from time to time in 3/4C lists where color requirements are heavier and rarely have problems with them coming in tapped. They do lose some utility in 3+ colors if you're not running basic land typed duals (e.g. shocks) and the allied ones have been mostly outclassed by the BBD cycle at this point, but they're not bad by any stretch. Obviously even lower risk in 2C lists where they're usually just going to be an untapped dual.

They're solid lands and well deserving of the slot in most of the decks they're included in.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Checklands are great. Not guaranteed to enter untapped, but their requirement is one of the easiest to satisfy, and can often start entering untapped by turn 2 or 3. You do need to be running enough lands with basic land types (or enough fetchlands / ramp effects to tutor them out), but that's usually trivial to do in any two color deck, many three color decks, and any green deck. More difficult for four/five color decks though.

They also have the upside of having been reprinted multiple times, which means more accessibility to budget players. Better if you have access to a fetch/shock/dual manabase, but they also work well with a high basic count.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Some of the best lands. Also reprinted enough that they are affordable. I wish these would be in Precons a lot more.
Can't say it any better than this...should be in nearly every deck that can legally run them.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

One more reason to run more basics. (Though the big one is, of course, Blood Moon.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

Great Lands. Don't see enough play. I like these more than many other lands which get much more attention, like the Temples or the BBD's. Some of the best duals without land types. I need to pick up a couple more of the enemy Checks since they are low cost again.

I typically play filter lands before these, but I have a fondness for filter lands, and have played both in 3 color decks without issue.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

As someone who can't pimp out a land base perfectly, these are excellent. They're almost always entering untapped, and the price is just right. These really ought to be printed in precons here on out. That's my primary issue with precons every year, the lands are mostly awful. These would be a budget way to give them a bit more sparkle.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Ive actually phased these out of my 3c decks, but I'm now running an 11 fetch mana base so it was bound to happen. They'd still make it in a wedge base since there's some missing enemy cycles. But in a shard, nah the options are too great.

They're great lands, though. No complaints. They're just not fetch duals.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Gotta agree with 3drinks (yet again, lol) - I've been tinkering my phelddagrif manabase to death, and these ended up getting cut. And that's missing some abu duals too. That's a deck with 44 lands and I'm still cutting them.

Needless to say, they're a lot more likely to make the cut for decks that aren't already flush with fetches and whatnot.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I tend to run them in 2 color decks especially off color (because there's a shortage of duals), and in less competitive 3 color decks with fewer than max fetches.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
September 30th, 2019; the Checklands;
Among my favourite lands ever printed.

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

As someone who does not play with ABUR duals (since no foils) and only on-color fetches (aesthetics), these lands currently rank 3rd behind fetches and shocks for me for my 2/3-colored decks. They're arguably among the best duals if there's some metric of power over budget used.

Compared to other "budget can come-into-play-untapped" options:
The Tangolands have a higher untap requirement, so their value relies heavily on how many fetches you're running (and even then they're trailing behind shocks, assuming you could already get fetches).
The SOI-Cycle work similarly to Checklands, but there's always the "vulnerability" about having to reveal a card in your hand as opposed to simply already having a card in play that annoys me personally... and they make for worse draws later on.

Half the painland cycle is relatively cheap as well, so I wouldn't fault people for preferring those as well, but with only 6 fetches/shocks total in a 3-colored deck for me and the fact this cycle has rarely, if ever, disappointed me, the painlands just felt inferior.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

I also only run on-color fetches, so there is more room in my decks for the Checklands.
Once they complete the Tangoland and Cycle Dual cycles, then we may have a harder time squeezing these in.

DirkGently

Eww, I'd never run a tango land over a checkland. Probably not a cycling dual either.

Battlebond duals, though, are easily superior.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Eww, I'd never run a tango land over a checkland. Probably not a cycling dual either.

Battlebond duals, though, are easily superior.
You'd think that, but once you start fetching into 10 duals your mind begins to change rather quickly. Need something untapped right away? Abu/shocks. Just need an eot fix for next turn? Tangos exist. Fetch into bicycles last because they're stronger later on when you can "trade" them for a new card.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Tuesday, October 1st, 2019; Combust & the incredibly similar, Rending Volley

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Don't forget Fry!

Okay, but, I'd rather just play a Lightning Bolt, or a Pyroblast. These feel a little too narrow.

DirkGently

Hate cards were brought up recently, and obviously can be pretty high/low roll, but these would just be decent if they had no targeting restrictions at all. Hard pass.
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
You'd think that, but once you start fetching into 10 duals your mind begins to change rather quickly. Need something untapped right away? Abu/shocks. Just need an eot fix for next turn? Tangos exist. Fetch into bicycles last because they're stronger later on when you can "trade" them for a new card.
After I fetch shock + dual I'm almost always fetching basics to protect against BM/B2B/ruination/etc. Unless my fixing is already good, in which case I might fetch basics first, especially if someone is playing mono-red at the table.

Mostly I just can't think of that many times I'd need more than 2x of the same dual. Maybe if I'm trying to cast necro or something and hit 3 non-swamp fetches (jk I'd never stoop to playing necro ;) )? Theoretically late-game if I'm trying to cast multiple spells of the same color in a turn, but practically-speaking by that point I'm almost always flush across all the colors with or without additional fetch targets. If I've fetched all 6 duals/shocks then that's already 4x of each color.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
jk I'd never stoop to playing necro ;)
*gasp* :o
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Don't forget Fry!

Okay, but, I'd rather just play a Lightning Bolt, or a Pyroblast. These feel a little too narrow.
Huh. Where the hell was I during M20 to miss Fry? That's a pretty reasonable spell and it hits walkers too. For five, even.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I usually don't play this kind of hoser. I prefer my hosers to be more "benefit me" so that I get a benefit no matter who uses the offending color. This actually excludes most red ones.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Combust and friends are fine, but not amazing. Efficient rate, but damage-based single target removal misses a lot of larger creatures and voltron commanders. I would usually prefer Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast - lose flexibility in color, gain flexibility in everything else.

3drinks

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019; Zhalfirin Void

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”