[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Card of the Day 2019-09-29 >

Lost Pilgrim {2}{W}
Creature – Kor Citizen (U)
Afterlife 1 (When this creature dies, create one 1/1 white and black Spirit creature tokens with flying.)
{3}{W}, Exile ~ from your graveyard: Put two +1/+1 counters on target Spirit you control.
May you find your way. In this world or the next.
2/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-30 >

Azra Nightseeker {2}{B}
Creature – Azra Cleric (C)
Lifelink
When ~ enters the battlefield each player on your team may pay 3 life, then each player who paid life this way, draws a card.
2/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-01 >

Cockatrice Hatchling {1}{B}
Creature – Cockatrice (C)
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
Deathtouch (Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)
~ can't block.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Really like Cockatrice Hatchling. Very simple and flavorful. Would want to see at Core.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

I feel like Cockatrice Hatchling is structured in a really, really perfect way. Flying 1/1? Sure, go on. Flying deathtouch 1/1? Seems extremely good. Can't block? And there's the rub. I know this is just because this is how rules text is ordered on cards nowadays anyway, but it's set up in a way that "~ can't block" is almost like a punchline. (Note: Even in a core set, I think you can get away without the reminder text for flying nowadays, but maybe that was also always my least favorite thing I'd seen on MTG cards in some core sets.)

Azra Nightseeker's card draw feels a little costly, but it's fine.

SecretInfiltrator

Yeah, the reminder text will quickly make room once I come up with flavor text that is inevitably too long to fit otherwise. : )

Card of the Day 2019-10-02 >

Modular Bot {1}
Artifact Creature – Construct (C)
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 colorless Equipment artifact token attached to it.
When ~ dies, you may attach an Equipment you control to a creature you control.
1/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-03 >

Craven Champion {R}{W}
Creature – Minotaur Coward (U)
~ can't attack a player that controls a creature.
4/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I like Craven Champion a whole lot.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-04 >

Scavenging Crustacean {3}{U}{U}
Creature – Crab (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, surveil 2, then return an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That is a very very strong common. I like it, to be sure, and sea creatures feel Dimir to me in a Ravnica context, but I think this could do work in Pauper. Not that that's a bad thing, always good for different formats to get different tech!

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-05 >

Lurking Snapjaw {2}{G}{G}
Creature – Crocodile (U)
Flash
When ~ dies, draw a card.
4/3

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-06 >

Sheepeater {2}{B}{B}{B}
Creature – Cyclops (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, target player sacrifices a creature. If you sacrifice a creature this way, you gain 4 life and draw two cards.
4/4

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-07 >

Duskpath Adept {3}{B}
Creature – Dauthi Warlock (C)
Sacrifice a creature: ~ can't be blocked this turn.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lurking Snapjaw looks like a very strong Limited card but I have a soft spot for first-pickable uncommons.

Love the design on Sheepeater. Absolute bomb and I've always have a soft spot for "hurt your opponent OR hurt yourself for benefit" design space.

Duskpath Adept is interesting flavorwise as it doesn't have shadow - is this a pre-Rathi Dauthi from the time before the entire race got stuck in the Shadows, mutated, and went mad?

SecretInfiltrator

We seem to have some soft spots in common. : )
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Duskpath Adept is interesting flavorwise as it doesn't have shadow - is this a pre-Rathi Dauthi from the time before the entire race got stuck in the Shadows, mutated, and went mad?
The Dauthi is not "pre-Rathi" chronological as much as "off-Rathi". The same way we eventually got Kor and Sliver cards that did not go through Rath and have Elf, Goblin and even Human variants from different planes I like to expand upon the Dauthi, Soltari and Thalakos tribes.

Part of my philosophy there is that they are "alternate history" members of the tribe, but part of the tribes identity is still there e. g. some Rathi Dauthi are able to pull beings to the shadow side (Dauthi Trapper not having shadow itself). I envision the "Duskpath" to be a tradition among some non-Rathi Dauthi that are able to do the reverse. Magic that allows them to slip through reality comes more easily to a Dauthi Warlock no matter where the plane emerged as part of their tribal identity no matter whether it employs shadow or not.

At the same time there is more to that tribe that would be interesting to explore e. g. the incredible diversity in body shapes that is seen among Rathi Dauthi is probably owed to artists interpretation, but retroactively that potential can be interpreted as something as inherent to the Dauthi tribe as a propensity for additional limbs is to the Vedalken.

Funnest fact of them all: Shadow Rider is probably supposed to be a Dauthi (that despite its name does not have shadow - and lacking the term Dauthi on the printed card also doesn't get to carry the creature type), but who would guess that if it wasn't told to you. Explains actually a lot about the card.

Card of the Day 2019-10-08 >

Black Morass Daemon {3}{B}{B}
Creature – Demon (R)
Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
Raid — At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice a creature unless you attacked with a creature this turn.
6/6

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-09 >

Windblown Reaver {1}{U}{R}
Creature – Human Deserter (R)
You may cast ~ without paying its mana cost if you control a permanent you don't own.
Flash
The first rat to flee the sinking ship is always exactly that: the first.
3/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Another wacky token creature type but I think the flavor works well here. (And I think that CCC has collectively decided that nontoken Deserters would have a "control but don't own" theme.)

SecretInfiltrator

I was not aware - the design is entirely top-down and not even the only way you could do a Deserter; I'm thinking e. g. of re-themed cards along the lines of Possessed Nomad here. Even the few custom Deserter cards had different themes. It's resonant though, so if you have to have a mechanical theme for the creature type, that one is okay. Unless you want to make Deserters more common. o.o

Card of the Day 2019-10-10 >

Firestarter of Sedris {1}{R}
Creature – Devil (U)
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, exile ~. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of your next upkeep.
2/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That's a clever card. Not sure about the Grixis connection flavorfully.

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

If nothing else, devils did exist on Grixis? Shrug.

Neat design, though. (Shouldn't it be "Return it to the battlefield" etc., though?)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Oh, and I almost want to petition to get Shadow Rider made a Dauthi in the typeline to make it canon and pin down flavor stuff now.

SecretInfiltrator

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
That's a clever card. Not sure about the Grixis connection flavorfully.
The Grixis connection is a mechanical one, actually, and doesn't have so much to do with Grixis in general as with Sedris themself. This combines with Sedris, the Traitor King by circumventing the "permanently exiled" drawback of unearth - exiling itself it can also return itself even after being unearthed.
M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
Neat design, though. (Shouldn't it be "Return it to the battlefield" etc., though?)
Well, the design is very old and uses old an old wording. Allowing myself functional errata I should use "exile ~ until your next upkeep" wording.

Not using "return it" though is actually correct, because of all the subtleties with zone changes creating new objects. For this wording "it" is the permanent that ceases to exist once it leaves the battlefield - you return the exiled card instead.

You'll still find this kind of wording on e. g. modern "blinking" cards like Acrobatic Maneuver.

Card of the Day 2019-10-11 >

Imposing Tyrranax {4}{G}{G}
Creature – Dinosaur Beast (R)
~ enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the total number of +1/+1 counters on other creatures you control.
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sure. Easy to get it very big. I was going to say "Avatar of the Resolute will probably be better" but then I reread the ability. Still, no evasion - maybe you could throw in that unblockable by creatures with power 2 or less thing if space isn't at too much of a premium.

SecretInfiltrator

Yeah. I like to make virtual vanillas a little too much and rare probably wants some form of evasion. The proposed type actually seems nice here.

Card of the Day 2019-10-12 >

Stormseer Djinn {1}{U}{R}
Creature – Djinn (U)
Flying, haste
When you cast ~, draw a card, then discard a card.
Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
2/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-10-13 >

Chaos Dragon {2}{B}{R}{G}
Creature – Dragon (R)
Flying, trample, haste
Each blank roll on the planar die is a roll.
4/4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”