[Official] "What Modern Deck Should I Play?" Thread

ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I have an important question that I probably already know the answer too. But at the same time, I appreciate anyone's replies and will read them completely and take them into consideration.

I have played in 4 MCQs this season. I haven't made the top 8 of any of these. Of course, the goal is to win one and qualify. It's been quite a while since qualifying - many, many years ago. My closest (this season) has been the recent one at 6-2 with Titanshift, losing to GDS 0-2 and Burn baaaarely 1-2.

These are my choices of decks to play for the MCQ.
1. Whirza - I believe this is the best deck. Many people from the MCQ also are of this opinion. My friend qualified for the first time JUST last week with the deck. He did give us more background, as we didn't get to talk to him about it until much later, at least the specifics. He said that he dodged a lot of the hate.
2. Titanshift - I know this deck like the palm of my hand. It is a very consistent deck and I like that. It is very straightforward, but there is some room, especially with deck building, to move around in matchups a tiny bit. But I am starting to be a little unsure about whether this is the winning deck. I know I can make the top 8, but making the top 8 is not the goal. It may seem like the goal right now since I've missed it a bunch, but it's not the ultimate goal.
3. Neoform - I think if I want to win the tournament, Neoform may even be a better option than Titanshift. Even though it's not consistent, it's super explosive and I need to spike the tournament (which is easier than in a GP). I can definitely imagine myself winning with Neoform, whereas I imagine losing in the top 4 (at best) or something with Titanshift.

The main decks I expected were Tron, Jund, Whirza, Burn, and UW Control. My last tournament didn't disappoint. I did dodge Jund, which there were tons of, and I dodged UW Control, which seems to have gone down. My opinion on why it's gone down is Whirza is a rough matchup for them. On an outside bet, I also expected to play against 1 Humans since it's a local team choice and Titanshift and Whirza STOOOMP Humans.

So, what do you think is the best choice and why?

For what it's worth, I've been casually testing Whirza since it came out, testing Titanshift for forever in multiple formats, and Neoform quite a bit a few weeks ago and before the GP Las Vegas.
I'd go with Whirza. It's probably the best deck in Modern and had the best performance spectrum even with Hogaak in the field. We don't have good data to show its current MWP stats, but I suspect they are as good as before with even more people on the deck. That's a huge feat. In general, if a deck has both obscenely broken starts and is capable of playing a grindier, fairer game, that's a good deck to focus on. If you don't go with Whirza, go with Neoform and hope the matches pair in your favor.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

ktkenshinx wrote:
4 years ago
I'd go with Whirza. It's probably the best deck in Modern and had the best performance spectrum even with Hogaak in the field. We don't have good data to show its current MWP stats, but I suspect they are as good as before with even more people on the deck. That's a huge feat. In general, if a deck has both obscenely broken starts and is capable of playing a grindier, fairer game, that's a good deck to focus on. If you don't go with Whirza, go with Neoform and hope the matches pair in your favor.
I wish this advice came earlier, but I'm not sure I would have listened unless I got overwhelming responses. Most of my friends say, "just play what you know OR try the best deck." So I'm super unsure.

Anyway, I went with Shift, lost to my friend in Round 3 and another one in Round 5, eliminating me from the tournament. I also ended up losing to Copy Cat in Round 7, so it's not like it was close either. My friend made top 4 with my Whirza deck, that I loaned him because he forgot to bring the Karn the Great Creator package in response to Whirza's success.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Erian Ignis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Erian Ignis » 4 years ago

So it seems 5 Color Niv is actually real. It practically has all answers you need.

Would you play this in a larger tournament? My guess is that you need to know the field against you would play correctly before considering using it so you can prepare your answers accordingly (although I think its generic removals of Helix and Trophy provide good game against most of the field).

Where would this Deck be at its worst? In a combo-filled meta, in a big mana meta...?

MtG Maniak
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MtG Maniak » 4 years ago

Hi! I am new to this forum, but I have been playing Magic on and off for about ten years. I have really gotten more involved with the competitive side of the game, and I have been using this good Mono-Green Infect Deck. My current record in tournament Bo3s is 41 wins, 12 losses, and 2 draws. I have never gone worse than 2-2, and only once finished worse than 2-1-1
I just made a a really nice, consistent turn 3 infinite combo modern artifacts deck, but I am really experienced with my infect deck using Emry, Lurker of the Loch. I hate to stop using Infect, and this new deck may get banned. Any advice on what I should do?

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 3 years ago

I am a returning player. I used to play orzhov tokens. But it seems to be bad in the format. Is there a deck for a player who have a love for bitterblosm - thoughtsieze - lingering souls
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”