[Official] Modern Prices Discussion

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Once Upon a Time is currently 10 dollars for pre-order. What do people think. Order now, or wait some weeks for the hype to pass?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

It's a big thumbs down from me. Unless it breaks Neoform or enables something amazing in Standard, it doesn't really have a home. I think this is a big miss for Tron.

I'm not familiar with Amulet Titan, but maybe this does something there? I know they're very creature and land based.

Edit: Maybe I came down to harshly on the Tron bit. It's a miss because I wouldn't cut anything for it. The mechanics that it has already are too good compared to this. You're either cutting mana stability in Chromatic 'Whatever', direct search, or Ancient Stirrings. I don't think any of those are bad enough to warrant this overriding them. And you certainly shouldn't be lowering your threat density or O Stones.
Last edited by Arkmer 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the idea. Ok then, I'll wait for it to drop. :)

I have no clue about Amulet Titan as well. The deck is too complicated for my mind to play.. which is why I don't like playing against it as well, it's sort of mentally taxing trying to follow what they're doing with their bounce lands. hehe :P
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Amalek0

Post by Amalek0 » 4 years ago

the big question for me is mystic sanctuary foils. Those things go in every frickin' format and have incredible late-game looping power in both pauper and legacy. Hell, even vintage *could* consider playing one, though I doubt it.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

[mention]Amalek0[/mention]

perhaps 10-15 dollar for foil mystic sanctuary? My price estimate is based on the price of foil arcum's astrolabe, because the astrolabe is a common seeing plenty of play now both in modern and pauper.

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Once Upon a Time is currently 10 dollars for pre-order. What do people think. Order now, or wait some weeks for the hype to pass?
I wouldn't go for it. There are very few rares from recent Standard-legal sets that sustain price tags in the $10-$15 range because so much product gets opened. ELD looks like it will have a number of pretty format-defining Standard cards, and potentially a fun Limited, so I expect tons of packs getting cracked.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I'm probably gonna try and bite the bullet and either get the three non promo copies of sfm I need or just trade my non promo one and other stuff into a set of promos. Will they drop much from here?

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I'm probably gonna try and bite the bullet and either get the three non promo copies of sfm I need or just trade my non promo one and other stuff into a set of promos. Will they drop much from here?
SFM is seeing literally no ply in my area. I'd be pretty weary picking them up before seeing them perform at a large event.

As many have said for awhile now, she's enabling something that the format has outpaced for quite awhile. While it's not a bad strategy, it's not what Tier 1 decks can put up or put up with. I don't really watch the big events so I don't know the schedule, but when it rolls around, I'm guessing she won't bring much to the table and she'll start to fall.

Up is a much narrower road than down and WotC is likely looking for a spot to reprint her anyway. So not only is the meta actively looking to chew up this deck but WotC is likely looking to capitalize on the unban themselves.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ktkenshinx wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I wouldn't go for it. There are very few rares from recent Standard-legal sets that sustain price tags in the $10-$15 range because so much product gets opened. ELD looks like it will have a number of pretty format-defining Standard cards, and potentially a fun Limited, so I expect tons of packs getting cracked.
yeah, I'm abstaining from getting them for now. Maybe the price would even drop to less than 5 dollars if no tier deck picks it up. :)

Amalek0

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Amalek0

perhaps 10-15 dollar for foil mystic sanctuary? My price estimate is based on the price of foil arcum's astrolabe, because the astrolabe is a common seeing plenty of play now both in modern and pauper.
bad comparison. Packs are 1/3 the price and the foils are twice as frequent in the packs now. I suspect it may be a $5 or $6 foil common when all is said and done, but it won't be $15 long-term.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago

Hard to know if they will drop much or not, People are still trying to find the decks that can use sfm to it's full potential.
I suggest waiting a little longer. As the prices are still very high. Well, but if you need them for a tournament.. then no choice but to go buy some.

What are people's thoughts on Prismatic Vista price rising? Was surprised to see it's more expensive than any khans fetch now, it's above 30 dollars already. Will this go higher or lower?

MashedPotato

Post by MashedPotato » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
What are people's thoughts on Prismatic Vista price rising? Was surprised to see it's more expensive than any khans fetch now, it's above 30 dollars already. Will this go higher or lower?
I am unsure of its value, seems commander is driving the price up to. But over the other fetchs im not sure why you would take one over it unless you were going for some landfall deck (mill anyone?) or needed the extra in a two colour deck. It is still affected by everything else that every non-basic is affected by. Untapped basic land is the same result from a Flooded Strand.
I reckon there is a good chance to be reprinted in a MH2 or a Commander set, it is useful but imho not worth the money its demanding at the moment

edit: It's not as if Pithing Needle is played as much as it used to be to stop fetches
There is always a greater power

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ok thanks for the opinion. Was planning on buying them as fetches for the Red Eldrazi that I'm building because it can fetch wastes, But I guess can wait for it to get reprinted in another set.

Amalek0

MashedPotato wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I am unsure of its value, seems commander is driving the price up to. But over the other fetchs im not sure why you would take one over it unless you were going for some landfall deck (mill anyone?) or needed the extra in a two colour deck. It is still affected by everything else that every non-basic is affected by. Untapped basic land is the same result from a Flooded Strand.
I reckon there is a good chance to be reprinted in a MH2 or a Commander set, it is useful but imho not worth the money its demanding at the moment

edit: It's not as if Pithing Needle is played as much as it used to be to stop fetches
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
ok thanks for the opinion. Was planning on buying them as fetches for the Red Eldrazi that I'm building because it can fetch wastes, But I guess can wait for it to get reprinted in another set.
Y'all have pretty much hit on the head why it's $30. It fetches wastes, so it's actually now probably the best land in all of the 2-color eldrazi lists. It fetches basics of any color combo, so for all the whirza and snow-control variant decks trying to play 4-5 colors with basics in 3 of those colors + astrolabe requiring snow lands (aka basics), it's actually more powerful than any of the other fetches. I don't expect it to drop back down; I'm moving to finish my foil playset in the coming weeks.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Glad I didn't pre-order all the castles. Almost all the castle have lowered in price now.

Only wasted 2 dollars getting Ardenvale at 3 dollars. Would have been much worse if I pre-ordered all. :laugh:

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

Does anyone know why the Scars fastlands have dropped in price so much recently? Blackcleave Cliffs have dropped $20 in a few days and Copperline Gorge has dropped $10. Are people selling off modern staples that are not playable in Pioneer?

Mtgthewary

Post by Mtgthewary » 4 years ago

Look how Pioneer cards rising in price and think about how people pay for. Everyone want good Pioneer cards at the moment, but Noone had 500 dollar on his shoes. So how they make fast money? Sell cards you don't need at the moment. You have 4 modern decks? OK let's sell 1...

Yawgmoth

Mtgthewary wrote:
4 years ago
Look how Pioneer cards rising in price and think about how people pay for. Everyone want good Pioneer cards at the moment, but Noone had 500 dollar on his shoes. So how they make fast money? Sell cards you don't need at the moment. You have 4 modern decks? OK let's sell 1...
Hmm good point. May be time for me to pick up some old modern staples. I'm not worried about the end of modern. Given how successful Horizons I cant imagine wotc will abandon the format in the near future. Plus I love playing modern with my friends and that's not changing over night.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Selling the allied fast lands seems like a bad idea given they're likely to complete the cycle in the next Mirrodin set. Maybe it's a good time to pick them up if you're on the speculation train and have cash. If you're in it for the short game, then do your thing, I guess.

This thought is based on nothing other than the enemy fast lands being in Pioneer already. Unless for some reason the rename them entirely, I feel like this is pretty solid.

Yawgmoth

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
Selling the allied fast lands seems like a bad idea given they're likely to complete the cycle in the next Mirrodin set. Maybe it's a good time to pick them up if you're on the speculation train and have cash. If you're in it for the short game, then do your thing, I guess.

This thought is based on nothing other than the enemy fast lands being in Pioneer already. Unless for some reason the rename them entirely, I feel like this is pretty solid.
Do you mean selling or buying?

It seems to me that buying the ally fast lands is a bad idea considering that they are going to get cheaper with the inevitable reprint. Unless, do you think they will be MORE expensive after the reprint? I can't imagine Blackcleave Cliffs getting more expensive with a reprint.

Now seems like the time to sell since they are only going to get cheaper with a reprint.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

I feel like my comment was very from my perspective point of view and probably relates less to this thread than I was in the mindset for at the time. I have the allied fast lands, they're slowly dropping in price, I don't want to sell mine because I know I'll see them later with the inevitable reprint. That's really where my comment comes from, I just wasn't really thinking outside that.

I guess it's reasonable to assume they'll drop with a reprint, especially from their current prices (which I also just looked up), but it depends on how low they drop right now. If you're looking to flip them, sure.

All I really think for certain is that they're likely to be reprinted because of Pioneer. Core set or actual Mirrodin set, who knows.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Is it because of Oko that Breeding Pool seems to be increasing in price?

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Yes. In Standard it is essentially required for competitive play.
UR Control UR

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

It looks like there has been some panic selling with Oko, Thief of Crowns recently. You can get them for slightly under $40 if you search around right now. People are anticipating a ban after seeing memes after memes of Oko. The card does not seem okay for Standard or Pioneer's power level.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

From a cursory look at things, it seems like lots of non-pioneer Modern staples are starting to drop at a pretty good rate. We'll see how alarming this gets, but with the ability to reprint any of our cards at any time and the shift in spotlight to Pioneer, it seems many are selling out of their expensive Modern cards...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”