Aminatou, the Fateshifter - The 8-year-old Planeswalker

pedrofausto
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pedrofausto » 2 years ago

Arebennian wrote:
2 years ago
So I've got a variant of this deck based off your primer too.

Have you shelved it for a while? I was surprised that there wasn't any Strixhaven commentary from you as you are so prolific on the boards (although that is often creating or discussing new ideas).

I thought I'd seen a few tools that could potentially be replacements in Strixhaven, although with Modern Horizon spoilers there are quite a few cards there too that might make the cut
One card from Strixhaven that got my attention was Semester's End as pseudo protection and a mass blink.
Some times can work as pseudo-fog too.

Tags:

Ardeyn

Post by Ardeyn » 2 years ago

Hey darrenhabib,
Hope you're doing well?
Having played a great game with my Aminatou deck during our most recent game night, I was wondering if you had the chance and motivation to look into the new sets with Aminatou in mind?

Semester's End - as mentioned by Arebennian - seems like a neat inclusion, though at four Mana it's rather expensive.
Might be better to just run Brought Back for some value / protection.
Also, I've had some good results with Dakkon, Shadow Slayer as Removal and Card Selection.
Made me think of re-adding the Reanimation Enchantments to synergize with the Surveil. Also in this regard, Disinformation Campaign looks like some intersting card advantage tool; kind of like a mini Kaya, Ghost Assassin.

Ardeyn
"A single spark of passion can change a man forever."

Ucenna
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ucenna » 2 years ago

Woot, been a long time. I just submitted a deck to a streamer; and I've really been enjoying it so I want to share it with all of you.

It's definitely a more casual list; compared to the other ones seen here. Meant to just be something fun to pull out with friends.
Aminatou: Demonic Pact Hot Potato

Also wanted to post some cool cards that I just discovered:

Dreams of the Dead
Weird and a bit janky; but you get to reanimate at instant speed as many times as you want. As a Bonus flickering the reanimated creature allows it reenter without the cumulative upkeep cost.

Angel of the Ruins
I'm in love with this card; sweet ETB; cycles like a champ and is reanimatable with Dakkon, Shadow Slayer.

Aethermage's Touch
This is also janky; but so sick. If I were to ever make an Aminatou Oathbreaker deck this would be the card. Pop something with an awesome ETB on top; cast this; flicker the ETB'd creature so it doesn't have to leave. Basically a Through the Breach that doesn't have card disadvantage.

Faerie Artisans
Whenever you create a token; flicker this and it is no longer associated with it's own token, allowing you to create an additional token.
Last edited by Ucenna 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ucenna

Post by Ucenna » 1 year ago

Has anyone tested The Reality Chip? I just did some playtesting with it; and I've been blown away. Future Sight has always been a really busted effect that I can never justify slotting into my decks; but adding a 2 drop wall for protecting Aminatou, and artifact and creature types is just making it feel really good. And then Aminatou's +1 makes it much easier to cast from the top of the library, giving you that slick functional draw one.

Gonna test Cemetery Illuminator too, to see if it's worth it as well.

Honarable mention to Revive the Fallen; testing it in my current white weenies-esque list and it's been a super awesome, albeit casually powered, value engine.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Resourceful Defense is a card that I'm super excited about. It's sort of like Deepglow Skate but does work differently.
The general idea is that you Animatou blinking a planeswalker and then you get to put that amount of loyalty counters on any permanent. You could put them on Animatou to build her up, but if you're worried about her being removed (still lots of creatures on board) then you can just put them onto say a land, which normally there is less removal.
Then on a subsequent turn you can Animatou blink that land and then put the loyalty counters onto a planeswalker to ultimate straight away.
It also comes with the added bonus that if opponents use removal on your planeswalkers and they still have counters on them then you can put them onto say a land, so that later you can get them with Animatou [-1] at a later stage.
You can of course also use the 4w ability to move counters as well if Animatou is not available.

Damn is a nice mass creature removal spell and can be searched with Spellseeker.

Out of Time is like a Parallax Wave on steroids as far as creature removal, but because of phasing you won't get ETB effects. But unless opponents specifically remove it, there will be no creatures if you get to keep exiling it to reset the board again.

Luxior, Giada's Gift is a way to prevent opponents from attacking a particular planeswalker and Trinket Mage can search for it.

Ucenna wrote:
2 years ago
Woot, been a long time. I just submitted a deck to a streamer; and I've really been enjoying it so I want to share it with all of you.

It's definitely a more casual list; compared to the other ones seen here. Meant to just be something fun to pull out with friends.
Dreams of the Dead is always a card I've wanted to make work, and I did have a reanimation version of the deck so this would actually be perfect for that build.

Faerie Artisans is actually one of my favorite commander cards in general and I never thought about that interaction, but because you get whatever the last creature opponent cast, it will be pretty random what you get to keep.
Ucenna wrote:
1 year ago
Has anyone tested The Reality Chip? I just did some playtesting with it; and I've been blown away. Future Sight has always been a really busted effect that I can never justify slotting into my decks; but adding a 2 drop wall for protecting Aminatou, and artifact and creature types is just making it feel really good. And then Aminatou's +1 makes it much easier to cast from the top of the library, giving you that slick functional draw one.

Gonna test Cemetery Illuminator too, to see if it's worth it as well.

Honarable mention to Revive the Fallen; testing it in my current white weenies-esque list and it's been a super awesome, albeit casually powered, value engine.
The Reality Chip is for sure a powerful card and the fact that it is a 0/4 for blocking until you get it online is a big factor. I'd want to play more smallball creatures to get it into my build.

Ucenna

Post by Ucenna » 1 year ago

Cemetery Illuminator
Has been solid. Doesn't feel as good in as Reality Chip; but the additional graveyard hate is much appreciated. My list is practically a weenie list; so it ends up being pretty easy to cast a few from the top late game.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
Resourceful Defense is a card that I'm super excited about. It's sort of like Deepglow Skate but does work differently.
The general idea is that you Animatou blinking a planeswalker and then you get to put that amount of loyalty counters on any permanent. You could put them on Animatou to build her up, but if you're worried about her being removed (still lots of creatures on board) then you can just put them onto say a land, which normally there is less removal.
Then on a subsequent turn you can Animatou blink that land and then put the loyalty counters onto a planeswalker to ultimate straight away.
It also comes with the added bonus that if opponents use removal on your planeswalkers and they still have counters on them then you can put them onto say a land, so that later you can get them with Animatou [-1] at a later stage.
You can of course also use the ability to move counters as well if Animatou is not available.
I suspected it'd be a good card with Planeswalkers; but I completely missed the interaction between the first clause and Aminatou's -1. I might have to pick up the bant deck to test this out.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
Out of Time is like a Parallax Wave on steroids as far as creature removal, but because of phasing you won't get ETB effects. But unless opponents specifically remove it, there will be no creatures if you get to keep exiling it to reset the board again.
It's been literally ridiculous in my experience. Being able to take out commanders is also just absurd. I've ended up taking it out of my Aminatou deck. I've found it's really easy to accidentally stax people out with Aminatou; and because I play in a primarily casual environment; I've had to avoid a lot of cards.

Speaking of casual cards, Revive the Fallen has been treating me great. It's trivial to setup; and is a great way refill the hand. That said; there's pretty much no reason to run it over Phyrexian Reclamation; although it is... "arguably" more resilient and functional.

Keen Duelist has been sick; sleek as a card advantage, politics, and killing people the way God intended. Protection Racket is of a similiar vein; and imho belongs in all black decks.

Vantress Gargoyle 2 mana 5/4 flier. Easy to enable blocking; so you can keep Aminatou safe, and then can pseudo scry with her +1.

Honorable mention to more competitive cards:

Wall of Mourning
Regrettably has intense deck restrictions which are not made easier by having a planeswalker in the command zone. However; with Aminatou you can +1 before casting this to get rid of something you don't need. And once you've drawn your 1-3 cards you can flicker to start again. TBH, probably better suited to other decks, but still a fine card just the same.

Scheming Fence
Best Pithing Needle effect we've had in a long time. Great to steal an effect for a bit; and then flicker to steal something better. Falls into that sweet 2 mana slot we love.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

darrenhabib

So out of all the cards from Dominaria United, the one I'm most excited about for all my primers is Urza Assembles the Titans for Aminatou.
I have Oath of Teferi and The Chain Veil in the deck which are key cards for a number out combos which I outline in the primer. The Third Saga of Urza Assembles the Titans is "You may activate the loyalty abilities of planeswalkers you control twice this turn rather than only once." means that I get another effect like this.
But on top of this because this is a planeswalker deck in general both the First and Second Saga are really good for value and combos.
First Saga—"Scry 4, then you may reveal the top card of your library. if a planeswalker card is revealed this way, put it into your hand." has a 35% chance of hitting a planeswalker and of course you could use her +1 if you have a planeswalker in hand already if you were wanting to draw something else for the turn.
All the planeswalkers in the deck are 6 or less mana so the Second Saga "You may put a planeswalker card with mana value 6 or less from your hand onto the battlefield." is guaranteed if you have one in your hand.
The neat thing about these new type of Sagas is that you can choose which one fires first to suit the situation at that exact moment in the game. Then with Aminatou -1 you get to reset it so that you can keep getting value.
Now unlike Oath of Teferi and The Chain Veil which you can play at any time to setup for the future, Urza Assembles the Titans does have the risk that if you trigger the Third Saga and then you can't use it on subsequent turns. If you specifically don't have Aminatou to reset it back to the First Saga then there is a risk that if you ETB on the Second Saga to put a planeswalker into play, the next turn you get that double planewalker activation but you'll really want to selectively try to plan this for a game winning combo turn.

The Cruelty of Gix is another interesting Saga and in the reanimation version is perfect as you can put any creature into play via searching for Entomb and then the Third Saga can put that into play. You can Aminatou -1 to get 2 searches in a single turn which is of course very powerful.

Temporary Lockdown is a good choice for controlling early game play. You can look to get additional triggers from your own creature with mana 2 or less.
Even though your own artifacts can get locked under it, if you Aminatou -1 the Temporary Lockdown then they will come into play and in response to the trigger to exile them again you can tap them for mana. You are far more likely to spend the mana than your opponents' getting their artifacts back for the short period.
I think before I'd include it in the deck I'd want to have more ETB creatures that trigger it

The Peregrine Dynamo is another double up effect you can do with planeswalkers. In this instance however you can't use it with Animatou as the commander.
But just like Lithoform Engine you can look to go infinite with planeswalkers that untap artifacts. So Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Tezzeret the Seeker and Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset.
You need another artifact that gives you the mana to activate them.
With Teferi, Temporal Archmage and Tezzeret the Seeker the aim is to either get infinite mana and/or have an artifact that you can tap for some sort of card advantage. For example you can use Sensei's Divining Top to tap to draw, but in response you can activate The Peregrine Dynamo/Lithoform Engine to copy the planewalker ability again and this allows you to stack up as many draws with Sensei's Divining Top before it actually triggers to go back on top of library.
With Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset you get infinite life, but you need a land that taps for 2 or more mana if you want infinite mana (or a creature that taps for mana).
Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset is a planeswalker that I've eyed up a bit, but I thought that the ultimate might not be quite good enough for this deck as I don't have that many ways to ultized the untapping each opponent turn as most of the spells are sorcery speed. But drawing an additional 3 cards a turn is nothing to turn nose at, so I could well see making a build that has these cards.

Ambyli
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Ambyli » 1 year ago

Love this deck design!

I was reading your thoughts on Resourceful Defense and I had something to note as a possible correction. When you blink a planeswalker and it returns, the trigger from enchantment will allow you to place the counters on the new instance of the same planeswalker. This allows you to ultimate it on the turn this is performed rather than the next turn.

This only works because the trigger does not go on the stack until Aminatou, the Fateshifter's ability resolves, and unlike most other blink/flicker effects in this case the permanent returns immediately! Only then will Resourceful Defense see something left and will "remember" the loyalty counters that left allowing you to place them on a target as it goes on the stack.

Had an argument discussing this at locals as there is no real information online. All you really need to know is that abilities and spells can't go on the stack when something on the stack is resolving. They really didn't want me ulting my Venser, the Sojourner, I wasn't even winning! :anxious:

darrenhabib

Ambyli wrote:
1 year ago
Love this deck design!

I was reading your thoughts on Resourceful Defense and I had something to note as a possible correction. When you blink a planeswalker and it returns, the trigger from enchantment will allow you to place the counters on the new instance of the same planeswalker. This allows you to ultimate it on the turn this is performed rather than the next turn.

This only works because the trigger does not go on the stack until Aminatou, the Fateshifter's ability resolves, and unlike most other blink/flicker effects in this case the permanent returns immediately! Only then will Resourceful Defense see something left and will "remember" the loyalty counters that left allowing you to place them on a target as it goes on the stack.

Had an argument discussing this at locals as there is no real information online. All you really need to know is that abilities and spells can't go on the stack when something on the stack is resolving. They really didn't want me ulting my Venser, the Sojourner, I wasn't even winning! :anxious:
Ok yeah I could see the timing of that working as there is no time between it leaving and returning to battlefield. Yeah that makes it way more powerful to ultimate a planeswalker immediately!

I'm assuming you found this thread via Googling "Aminatou, the Fateshifter Resourceful Defense" to find out an answer hehe but alas?

Ambyli
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Ambyli » 1 year ago

I did and in the moment I was disappointed to find nothing helping my side. Everyone at the locals kept arguing with me, long story short blinking is complicated and makes weird interactions. Talked to a judge later and they agreed on the functionality but it was too late for the game 😂

darrenhabib

There are two planeswalkers that I'm excited about with The Eternal Wanderer and Vraska, Betrayal's Sting. I haven't added a new planeswalker since Teferi, Master of Time, so that just gives you an idea of how premium and on theme a planeswalker needs to be to make the deck.
The Eternal Wanderer -6 is a creature board wipe of sorts so is perfect for leveling the field to protect planeswalkers. Being able to do this every turn resetting with Animatou is going to be overwhelming at times.
The +1 "Exile up to one target artifact or creature. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of that player's next end step." is perfect with ETB creatures in the deck.

Vraska, Betrayal's Sting can be cast for 5 mana and when blinked will come back with the full 6 loyalty. The reason I like this card is because of the Proliferate. You can add two loyalty counters to your planeswalkers if you blink Vraska, Betrayal's Sting for another activation.
Proliferate will let you go infinite with the Aminatou + Mystic Sanctuary + Temporal Manipulation combo.
The -2 ability allows you to basically kill any creature which is always nice to have. It even gets around indestructible. There is tricky stuff where you could target your own creature so that when you resolve a creature board wipe it'll remain on the battlefield, then you can Aminatou -1 blink it to then return as the creature again.
The -9 should be enough to kill a player as you can give them 9 poison counters then Animatou Viper's Kiss Betrayal's Sting[/card] again to Proliferate to give the 10th poison counter.

KOTNK

Post by KOTNK » 1 year ago

@darrenhabib, how do you like the Ichormoon Gauntlet in this deck?

darrenhabib

KOTNK wrote:
1 year ago
@darrenhabib, how do you like the Ichormoon Gauntlet in this deck?
I am going to try Ichormoon Gauntlet in my Will & Rowan Kenrith deck because I have a very specific goal of getting a Rowan emblem early, but in this deck getting certain planeswalker ultimate's is a bit more organic.
I have played Grateful Apparition, Skyship Plunderer, Thrummingbird, Guildpact Informant, Flux Channeler all at some point in this deck because I got really hyped when Mystic Sanctuary came out and I wanted to do infinite loops with extra turn cards like Temporal Manipulation.
I found with Flux Channeler that you do really need to play a good number of cheap spells in order to make it worth while. So for example I'd want to change the configuration of the deck to play more cantrip type cards like Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain and perhaps even things like Mishra's Bauble and Urza's Bauble.
I think if I was to play Ichormoon Gauntlet then I'd also play Flux Channeler and put the cards in I mentioned above and maybe a few others. But of course something has to give and so realistically the creature suite would have to go.
I'd play Time Warp and Capture of Jingzhou as well to make the whole infinite turns a very realistic and powerful element of the deck with Ichormoon Gauntlet included.
Also of note that I mention in my primer is an infinite setup combo with Tezzeret the Seeker if you can get him on 5 loyalty because you can then search for the The Chain Veil, which results in infinites. Ichormoon Gauntlet allows you to do this.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 11 months ago

With the new Battle type cards it presents an interesting dynamic with Aminatou blink ability. You could defeat the Battle to get the transform side, but at any stage you can Aminatou [-1] to reset it to get the front side triggered ability again.

Invasion of Fiora is a permanent board wipe much in the same way as The Eternal Wanderer. You can look to defeat it to get Marchesa, Resolute Monarch which is potentially card advantage as well as a fine defender with the stats (3/6) and deathtouch.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 10 months ago

Deification is a card that I want to try. The main idea that you can name "Aminatou" to start off with if early game. Obviously it would be better in a deck with more creatures. I'm hoping that Oath of Gideon and Luxior, Giada's Gift will help to make the card better.
Aminatou will realistically be left on 1 loyalty each turn, so you can only use the [+1]. But having her on the board until you assemble other cards and start to combo does seem really good.
Then later on you could possibly [-1] the Deification and name another planeswalker type. Specifically the most numerous are Teferi.

Remove

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 9 months ago

Hithlain Rope works great with Animatou [-1] to give it back to you and land ramp in Esper is far-and-few between.

On that note The Restoration of Eiganjo is a card that I sort of missed, but can be land ramp and given the number of fetchlands and land cyclers, should be fairly consistent. Of course you can discard the Plains that you search for, but just in the cases where the Plains is your only land in hand. Then you can reset The Restoration of Eiganjo for more value. The transform side is also decent protection.
I've added another basic Plains so that Hithlain Rope and The Restoration of Eiganjo should have targets.

I've decided to try Urza's Saga over Trinket Mage. Blinking the Urza's Saga can mean that you make more constructs for blocking potentially. Plus there are only 4 targets for these, albeit the Luxior, Giada's Gift is super powerful in this deck, so still liked the idea of searching for it.

Teferi's Protection is obviously a great card, but I just find that the deck is very proactive, so holding up mana for protection doesn't really happen that often, especially at 3 mana.

ADD REMOVE

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 8 months ago

Alright there is a bunch of sweet new tech in Commander Masters for this deck!

Onakke Oathkeeper is a nice 0/4 blocker in the early game and the additional cost to attack your planeswalkers really does put a stop to opponents game plans at times.

Teyo, Geometric Tactician puts a 0/4 flying blocker into play as an ETB, so blink this once and you'll have your defenses up early.
The draw a card and also one to an opponent can often be an advantage in games where you have a weaker opponent -or- need opponents to get answers for an explosive start by another opponent. I like this.
The [-2] to have a Mystic Barrier for a turn is perfect for the deck as well .. I mean I used to play Barrier, but this cost 2 less and has the other abilities. Teyo, Geometric Tactician is great in this deck!

Vronos, Masked Inquisitor can protect a bunch of your walkers, up to 4 if you blink it for another go. The [-2] returning permanents is a great tempo play and with Aminatou blink you can return 2 relevant permanents for each opponent each turn. The [-7] sucks however.
If you copy Vronos, Masked Inquisitor with Spark Double then you can phase out each of them with the other and of course two other planeswalkers for the ultimate in protection.

I've had Thalia's Lancers since the beginning and it's always been good, but there is just so many great mass creature removal and cheaper cards that it's time to say good buy to a favorite of mine. For that reason Cavalier of Dawn also as a mid-range cost has been good, but cost efficiency has to be the major factor for the deck with so many good cards to choose from.
Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd have all the combo potentials so remain for that reason.

Gatewatch Beacon is another enabler of the Tezzeret the Seeker combo win and is additional mana so I want to give this a try at least.

ADD REMOVE

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

So this is my favorite control commander and I also run a few Pw's since the blink is strong but mines a but more blue control based than yours is. Have you Considered Gilded drake? with the commander you can bounce it off their field to steal new creatures every turn. Treachery i also really liked as you can bounce it to ramp 5 and grab a new or the same guy again. Can do a similar thing with animate dead. Also if you have a one ring there are enough untaps to make it even more silly than normal and you can blink it for the fog effect.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 6 months ago

Moxnix wrote:
6 months ago
So this is my favorite control commander and I also run a few Pw's since the blink is strong but mines a but more blue control based than yours is. Have you Considered Gilded drake? with the commander you can bounce it off their field to steal new creatures every turn. Treachery i also really liked as you can bounce it to ramp 5 and grab a new or the same guy again. Can do a similar thing with animate dead. Also if you have a one ring there are enough untaps to make it even more silly than normal and you can blink it for the fog effect.
Hi, I have looked at Gilded Drake and it could easily be in the deck. The reason mainly because I have so much mass creature removal for the sake of protecting the planeswalkers that I'm probably going to be destroying the creatures that I'd take in the first place.
Same with Treachery great card of course, but I'm looking to clear the board eventually.
If you noticed that the creatures I have all have card advantage so that even if I know that there is going to be a board wipe, I've probably at least replaced the card with one of two other cards by that time.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

Well its been great for me and I'm a control deck looking to wipe so I run farewell, Toxic deluge, supreme verdict cyclonic rift, damnation, damn . That being said when your plans to remove all of them stealing what's left when all the other cards are gone does make it stronger but i would test it anyway the bounce steal more stuff feels kind of broken when you pop it. Hard to say on the one hand we have lots of similar cards but the strategy looks so different it might play a lot different. I'm playing more of a wipe early then pass on counters with counterbalence and scroll rack and top and top deck tutors for free countermagic etc. That being said I would still test it as its always felt really strong every time I draw it. Treachery is more niche and just a really good card but gilded drake has always been an all-star for me.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 6 months ago

Blinking for theft and 5 land untap is pretty sweet - sort of a mana doubler mode for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 5 months ago

The Pandorica is a sweet new protection card perfect for phasing out a planeswalker each turn.
Vronos, Masked Inquisitor did the same thing, but itself was vulnerable, and unfortunately the other abilities on the card I never used.
I'm pretty okay with replacing it with The Pandorica in a similar role. The Pandorica can also phase out a creature, which with all the mass removal gives it an edge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”