Baeloth Barrityl, Raised by Giants (Primer Formatted: 10/11/22)

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

They Might Be Giants

Table of Contents

Deck Overview

Commander is a thinking person's game. Not anymore! If you're the reason you never win at Commander, Baeloth Barrityl, Raised by Giants would like a moment of your time.
  • Big mana! Recast your commander again and again!
  • Big damage! Put the "Damn!" in damage!
The instructions here suggest informing you of the deck's power level. I don't know. What are one dimensional pub stompers with an excess of resilience going for these days? Probably 7. Just tell your pod it's a 7. 7 means you have no idea.

Current Decklist

They Might Be Giants

Enchantment (4)

Artifact (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Budget Considerations
In my case, this is the deck I decided I was going to "pimp out", so I hand selected all my favorite full arts, alternate arts and special prints of every card that supported it, and Archidekt has my deck running in the mid 600s range. Thankfully, the threadbuilder here has the price of a more average card selection, and it's looking at mid-high 300s. That's probably budget these days, but it can definitely go lower. Most of the cards are mere cents. I'll list out the cards that break double digits down below.
~10
[*]Xenagos, God of Revels ~10

Ragavan, Dockside, Exploration and Dryad are just ramp. Birds too - I'm surprised to be listing it here. Birds isn't budget anymore. Crazy. Anyhow, you can swap them as you see fit. Just keep the CMC in the 1-3 range, because what counts is getting your commanders a turn early. Turns 4 and 5 are almost always your Commander turns. Dockside is on something of a Rules Committee ban-watch, and I've never had a card banned out of one of my decks, so perhaps one day they'll so honor me in the future, and I'll throw in Tempt with Discovery or something, but that day isn't today. Wooded Foothills is just a fetch. Any land will do. Truth is, all my fixer lands were selected on a theme of teamwork - none of them can do it alone. Like Birds, Xenagos has no business being here. Any good power modifier will fit in his place. Wayward Swordtooth missed my initial deckbuilding search, but it's here now, and it qualifies for this category.

Deck Strategy

When you pare back all the BS, all this deck wants to do is cast its commanders and swing. Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer goads all your opponents' creatures that have less power than he, and Raised by Giants makes him a 10/10. Keep casting ramp, and keep them on the field doing their thing.

Turns 1-3
Ideally, all you're doing in these turns is ramping. If you're not ramping, you're digging for ramp. If you can't do either with your opening hand, mulligan. 2-4 lands and 2-4 ramp/dig constitute a decent hand. All you care about is casting the commanders on 4 and 5 respectively. Favor land ramp. Let the social construct at the heart of Commander save you a few deck slots you'd be devoting to protecting your ramp. They're not going to touch your lands, and there are a dozen threads on this site alone that'll corroborate it. You didn't make the rules, and you can say as much as you decry MLD.

Turns 4 & 5
Cast Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer on turn 4, Raised by Giants on turn 5.
Turns 6+
Swing. Ideally, this'll be good enough. What can really hurt is if opponents have bigger dudes than Baeloth. Prior iterations of the deck had a wide variety of ways to increase damage dealt each turn, be it, extra combat, damage doublers/triplers, etc. This version of the deck replaced all that with cards that double or otherwise directly affect Bae's power, because it really matters that everything else is goaded. You'll know what to do.

Card Choice Discussion

Let's break the card choices down into broad categories: Ramp, Draw, Win-More & Land. This pile of land doesn't require an in depth play-by-play.

Notable Ramp
Includes
Show
Hide
Your singular mission is to ramp commanders that cost five and six out on turns four and five. Ramp that costs more than three should be deliberated heavily. The sole reason I even included the dig cards is to facilitate the ramp-- particularly the additional land drops variety, that really fail to impress without a steady grip of lands.

Notable Draw
Includes
Show
Hide
Most of the draw is of the looting variety, because until you cast the commanders, its only purpose is to facilitate ramp. There are two explosive draw spells for post commander to hasten victory.

Notable Win-More
Includes
Show
Hide

Notable Excludes
Excludes
Show
Hide
  • Taiga - Being aware that I should run this, I concocted a theme for my manabase that excluded it. Truth is, every single card in my actual deck has been hand picked as my favorite printing of said card. A white bordered Taiga that looks like someone wiped their butt with it doesn't cut it. I can't afford Alpha or Beta here.
  • Gaea's Cradle I initially built Baeloth creature lite to justify not wanting the cradle, but I forgot that mission over dozens of upgrades, and now the only excuse is price. That said, I rarely have more than three creatures in play, and my existing ramp is pretty obscene to evade fearing the commander tax, so Cradle doesn't really pass any honest cost/benefit analysis. As it stands, none of my other lands really warrant an opponent's Strip Mine, so I question whether it'd even last. I've no intent of saving for it.
  • Wheel of Fortune - I included the dig cards to help me best utilise my starting hand, not replace it. For instance, a grip full of lands and no cards that let me play extras, or maybe an Exploration in a two land opening hand. I'm no stranger to two land openers that never see a third, even when this deck had 46 lands in it. After you play your commanders, the pace of putting down cards slows dramatically. There's no place for wheels here.
  • Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger - Used to be a sucker for mana doublers, but I'd rather have five mana on turn four than 15 on turn 10. Placeholder for all mana doublers, and to a lesser extent, stax effects, which I also avoided.

Credit & Thanks

"I'm 100% confident that you didn't build your Commander deck in a vacuum." - So says the primer skeleton. It's true. This deck got all the help you see below, and from a good friend I chat to on Facebook Messenger.

Change Log

*****Credit for this Primer Template belongs to all members of the Primer Committee*****
Last edited by BaronCappuccino 1 year ago, edited 77 times in total.

Tags:

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

You say it's just ramp, but you're missing the best ramp spells:
Also you probably want some removal:
And some protection:
As well as some card draw:
I understand you want a Gruul deck and not an Esper deck, but Gruul has some nice instants/sorceries.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

It's a neat fun looking aggro deck.

I would probably want to include some effects like Leyline of Punishment in case you run into people looping Spore Frog or Spike Weaver or Constant Mists type stuff.

BaronCappuccino

I've heard good things about Sol Ring. The ramp package here, as people might suspect, was selected more for thematic purposes than performance - as was removal only being fight. I've put together decklists with all the commander mox, sol ring, etc - I built one once. The ramp here, in my mind, does its job if I cast Baeloth on turn 4 and Giants on turn 5. Having that be the only possible outcome, with no possibility of a random turn 3 Baeloth, allows me to better know exactly what I intend to do every game. I'll do nothing on turn one, every single game. Just a land and pass. On turn two, there's a chance I'll cast a CMC2 ramp piece, or maybe a support piece of another sort - the deck's got a fair amount of 2-drops. By turn 3 I'll pretty much always have a ramp down. Turns 4 and 5 are my commander turns. Turns 6+ are for throwing down cards that magnify his damage potential or otherwise augment the gameplay, but hopefully having no tutors and lacking a critical mass of any single effect, means that every game, I'll be threatening with a different sort of 10/10+ unblockable guy. Is he flush with side tokens threatening to go wide as well? Maybe he's hexproof or indestructible, or when he swings, he automatically does his power to the defender. Ideally, he does triple damage and I one-shot opponents one at a time. Never know what's going to happen, but a 10/10 unblockable commander damage with a near 100% chance to hit magic number 11 power killing opponents in 2 is good enough for me. It's not the best deck, but it's always okay. More importantly, the kind of tunnel vision focus my opponents would need, killing my commander over and over and locking me out of the game, likely starts to weigh on their consciences, so I'm bound to take a game now and then. Historically, all my decks focus on doing some "thing" that usually isn't a win condition. They did so, but I've never won a game in my usual playgroup. The group are all 85%ers.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

This is the list I'm thinking of running:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

BaronCappuccino

Relatively significant overhaul, swapping out my mana rocks for the sorceries in the list (previously, the list contained no instants or sorceries).
EDIT (9/19)
Another significant overhaul. I had too much big and showy ramp that came out after the commander. It was too late. Replaced it with ramp at strategy-appropriate mana costs.

EDIT (10/3)
An insignificant overhaul. I have a Magda, Brazen Outlaw in the deck, and while I only included her to tap and make treasure, I already had two artifacts to tutor for if I cared to, but no dragons. I can't have a part of a card in a deck that's blanked by deck construction. I added Dragonborn Champion.

BaronCappuccino

Third major overhaul. If it could be summed up in one phrase, it would be additional combat steps. I replaced a lot of dead weight. Prior deck versions had cards that didn't further a victory plan, but varied how the deck played -- backgrounds, etc.

BaronCappuccino

Another major overhaul with some tough cuts. Essentially, I was really happy with everything that happened except my first three turns. Azusa, Lost but Seeking and her friends, for example, are excellent played on curve with a fist full of lands, but fall off the cliff in usefulness once I'm topdecking. A few cmc4 ramp overlapped with the turn I cast Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer. I made 14 cuts of cards that didn't play right or weren't part of the main plan, and added 14 cards like Cathartic Reunion, I'm very pleased with my early game now.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

In my forced combat list with Thantis, the Warweaver at the helm, Urabrask the Hidden was pretty great, it meant summoning sick creatures couldn't block (and of course, next turn they'll be forced to attack, so they still can't block. And it gives your stuff haste, which was nice with a giant vigi creature like Thantis, the Warweaver in the CZ and probably even better with a 10/10 there.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

BaronCappuccino

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
In my forced combat list with Thantis, the Warweaver at the helm, Urabrask the Hidden was pretty great, it meant summoning sick creatures couldn't block (and of course, next turn they'll be forced to attack, so they still can't block. And it gives your stuff haste, which was nice with a giant vigi creature like Thantis, the Warweaver in the CZ and probably even better with a 10/10 there.
I hadn't thought of the interaction with summoning sickness. I initially didn't even look for enters tapped effects because in my mind, it was a nonbo with forced combat, but you're right, it's a combo with summoning sickness.

Dunadain
I like turtles

BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I hadn't thought of the interaction with summoning sickness. I initially didn't even look for enters tapped effects because in my mind, it was a nonbo with forced combat, but you're right, it's a combo with summoning sickness.
Also, if your looking for cuts, 44 lands seems a bit excessive, even for a ramp deck, I think I'd run 40 at the most.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

BaronCappuccino

I'm definitely looking into it.

BaronCappuccino

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Also, if your looking for cuts, 44 lands seems a bit excessive, even for a ramp deck, I think I'd run 40 at the most.
You were right about the land count - I've been keeping at fine tuning the list and it's down to 39 now, and still doing what it wants to.

Dunadain
I like turtles

BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago

You were right about the land count - I've been keeping at fine tuning the list and it's down to 39 now, and still doing what it wants to.
That seems like a more reasonable number with the amount of ramp you have.

Though be careful you don't go too far in the other direction ;)

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

I watched a recent youtube video with this combo, and as one might expect people kept killing Baeloth because nobody likes to be controlled by someone else's commander. I know your point is for it to be straight forward without a ton of interaction besides ramp and replay Baeloth, but Heroic Intervention and Veil of Summer and friends might go a long way, along with a couple of redirects to turn away targeted removal.

BaronCappuccino

Attack of the dorks - added Birds, Llanowar Elves, etc, all the expected faces in said category. Didn't need so many closers.

EDIT: Double update. Lands dipped too low, up to 43. Dropped the extra combats.

BaronCappuccino

Today I replaced a variety of damage doublers, triplers, extra combats, etc, with cards that double or whatnot Bae's power, because it serves the same end (double damage or double power) and the latter further makes it unlikely that anything at all escapes the goad. I'm putting a whole lot of stock into goad as a synonym for unblockable. I think this'll make it so. Should I find myself in some sort of vigilance meta, I'll adapt.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

Did you consider Bedlam? I just love weird old red enchantments...

BaronCappuccino

kraus911 wrote:
1 year ago
Did you consider Bedlam? I just love weird old red enchantments...
I might have to, since I seem to be missing something and the creatures can't block effect is popular in the deck as others build it. The reason I hadn't is because I put all my effort into making sure my commander has a high enough power and toughness, especially after recent changes, to absolutely goad every single enemy creature. If they're swinging, they're not blocking. I figured the effect wasn't necessary. I suppose vigilance would like to have a word with me, but if I end up losing because there's some even more game winning creature than my buffed out Baeloth, well, that means my kitchen table group is at least half focused on winning with giant creatures the old fashioned way, and that's a win in itself. In another thread, I'd listed Bothersome Quasit as a false friend on the same rationale. I'm thinking on it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”