Lord Windgrace

WizardMN
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Here is what I am going to cut to make room for the MID cards:
10/2/2021
Approximate Total Cost:

The additions I talked about above, so for the cuts I decided to go with these two mostly because I couldn't think of anything else. Arguably, You Happen On a Glade probably could be cut but I like what it can do. And, if I did want to cut it, I would probably cut Yavimaya Elder first. Ulamog is good and offers removal for certain things I might otherwise have trouble with. Mostly indestructible stuff. But he is still 10 mana and puts a pretty significant target on me. He is still probably better than Apex Devastator but I like that card more.

Fertilid just ends up being in a weird spot where it isn't as needed in this deck. While I don't really want to go down on ramp too much, it is slow and it might have been a little more than I needed anyway.

Tags:

WizardMN

I have gotten behind in set updates again but this set did have a bit for quite a few of my decks. Here are my thoughts for this deck:

Green Cards

Cultivator Colossus - This seems good for this deck. It ramps (hopefully) and keeps on ramping and drawing. The ceiling is super high and with things like Life from the Loam I can usually ensure I at least have a land or two in hand. I am not sure if I really need to be ramping at this point in the game though. 7 mana is a lot of mana already (not really for this deck, but still) so would spending that to ramp/draw, let's say, 2 cards be worth it? I am not sure but it does seem like a good card for the deck so I think I at least try it out.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
Cultivator Colossus - This seems good for this deck. It ramps (hopefully) and keeps on ramping and drawing. The ceiling is super high and with things like Life from the Loam I can usually ensure I at least have a land or two in hand. I am not sure if I really need to be ramping at this point in the game though. 7 mana is a lot of mana already (not really for this deck, but still) so would spending that to ramp/draw, let's say, 2 cards be worth it? I am not sure but it does seem like a good card for the deck so I think I at least try it out.
This is the thread I expected to see Colossus in when I misclicked on Karador. Womp womp.

I think Colossus is solid in this deck by virtue of being an endgame trampling beater that draws cards and ramps. It's not like, ridiculous, because you don't have that many ways to stock up on lands, and it's kind of counter-synergy with Lord Windgrace because he likes to discard lands, but still good enough I think it replaces one of the fatties.

WizardMN

You mentioned the price in Karador and that is my main thing right now with not running it. And not the paper price as it looks to be about $35 for the Extended Art Foil; but the Online price is pretty ridiculous. $31 for a Standard Mythic always seems really high to me. And I know other cards have gotten there too but I don't like spending that much on a card Online.

Otherwise yeah, the counter-synergy is my concern but when nearly half the deck is lands, this seem like a good way to start filtering through some of them in hand. I think it just straight up replaces Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar. I like Ulvenwald due to Reach and because it gets me Glacial Chasm but Multani is "just" a beater (granted, one that can come back fairly easily).

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
Otherwise yeah, the counter-synergy is my concern but when nearly half the deck is lands, this seem like a good way to start filtering through some of them in hand. I think it just straight up replaces Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar. I like Ulvenwald due to Reach and because it gets me Glacial Chasm but Multani is "just" a beater (granted, one that can come back fairly easily).
The reach fatties are deceptively powerful in green decks, but yeah I think it is probably better than Multani overall. All it really takes is one good creature with reach and you save so many life points from random flyer chipshots.

WizardMN

Agreed. I have had a lot of situations here and in Karador and Volrath where a good Reach blocker is just too much of a deterrent for people. It should always be a 6/6 at least and my decks don't tend to have an overabundance of fliers so having something like this that just soaks up damage is huge.

WizardMN

12/15/2021
Approximate Total Cost:

Here is my next change. Not a lot to say that wasn't said above. This seems like a better (more or less) Multani even if it is 1 mana more so it is worth trying out. I might wait a little bit on it to get online though as I guess I never got it when the set released and it skyrocketed online. It looks to still be coming down though so I might wait a little longer to pick it up.

WizardMN

Here are my thoughts on new cards from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty:

Green Cards

Kura, the Boundless Sky - I like anything that can get me lands and this isn't bad. It is a great blocker to protect Windgrace (though being 5 can make sequencing a bit weird) and gets any land. I don't really know how good it actually is (it doesn't seem great) but I think it can work here.

Spring-Leaf Avenger - I have put a lot of cards in here to get back cards from the graveyard. I always prefer creatures and this seems like a pretty good one. And since I have a lot of permanents, lands being most of them, I think I will almost always get something relevant.

Multicolor Cards

Gloomshrieker - This is in the same vein but being single use and not being able to recur it and also limiting to a permanent card means this is easier to pass on.

Colorless and Land Cards

Boseiju, Who Endures - I can get lands back quite a bit in this deck and being able to re-use something like this seems very promising. I think I find a spot for this though, in this deck, it might actually be a land slot whereas in Karador it probably ends up being a spell slot.

Takenuma, Abandoned Mire - This isn't quite as good but because of the land recursion, it might still have some decent uses. And just being able to get some random creature back isn't the worst in this deck.

WizardMN

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

Here are my thoughts on cards from Streets of New Capenna:

Colorless and Land Cards

Ziatora's Proving Ground - I definitely like lands that can be fetched and ones that fix multiple colors. So, even though this enters tapped, I think it is worth adding in.

WizardMN

Since Baldur's Gate previews have concluded, here are my thoughts on some of the cards from the set that might work in this deck as well as some lands from the previous set I missed.

Green Cards

Druid of the Emerald Grove - This is tempting for basically no other reason than the fact that no matter the result, it ends up being good. My opinion of Creature based ramp is always higher compared to a comparable Instant or Sorcery so this has that going for it. And being able to get cards in hand to discard to Windgrace is not bad at all. I might give this a try to see what it can end up doing.

Erinis, Gloom Stalker - I do like this card. It doesn't take my land drop like Ramunap Excavator does which means it is actual ramp versus just letting me play the lands I discard. And it is an attack trigger so it is easier to actually get the land back. And having Deathtouch means it is less likely to be blocked. I think this ends up being a pretty good card for the deck.

Colorless and Land Cards

Haunted Ridge, Deathcap Glade, Rockfall Vale - These are all pretty good lands. While they aren't the best on Turn 2 and maybe turn 1, they are great from turn 3 onwards. They seem pretty solid in terms of fixing in all but the most aggressive decks and, even then, seem still worthwhile as they are very unlikely to be the only land one keeps.

WizardMN

Here are the changes I making next:
6/12/2022
Approximate Total Cost:

I think these lands are good enough to include but, due to their inclusion, I have had to cut down on a few basic lands which isn't entirely ideal. Unfortunately, I don't really have any other lands I want to cut though. I never got to the point of using Pathways here, which would have been the easy cuts. Probably even before the basics. At least, in this deck.

Because I am going down on basics, I don't think Druid of the Emerald Grove makes sense anymore. And, honestly, even before this it might have been tough to figure out what cut to make for it. It was hard enough to come up with the cut for Erinis.

I have decided to scale back (slightly) on the animating lands angle in order to fit in Erinis. Sylvan Awakening is a pretty risky play in general and with the printing of more cards that can exile creatures I think it just opens me up too much to a blow out. So Awakening seems like an easy cut. Kamahl's Will still gives me this option if I want it, And it has less chance for getting blown out since the effect for that one ends on my turn.

I am still thinking I want to find room for Ashaya, Soul of the Wild in this deck as I think there are pretty good interactions with it but I have yet to find a good cut for it. Perhaps next time I look for cuts to make for new cards.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I think the cutting fetchables and basics is gonna wind up burning in wind grace. These new lands are really questionable by scrubbing your early turns a lot.

I don't think they belong in 3 color land heavy decks.

WizardMN

The only time they should enter tapped *and* actually matter if they enter tapped is turn 2. Turn 1 I will have another land (which hopefully doesn't also enter tapped) and there isn't a ton of stuff I want to cast on turn 1 anyway so I could just play this tapped without much issue. Turn 3 and later they enter untapped so there is no issue there.

Turn 2 is definitely the risk. Sticking with a 2 land hand, both of which that enter tapped, in the hopes of getting down a Sakura-Tribe Elder into Cultivate (or whatever) can definitely be an issue.

I plan on keeping an eye on them overall but I don't see there being a huge risk with running these since there is effectively a single turn where they end up being worse than a basic and that should be easily played around depending on the other land(s) in hand.

I will agree that the cutting of fetchable lands is a bigger issue but there are plenty of fetchable lands (22 still) in this deck so I would prefer to have (mostly) unconditional fixing as I try to get the deck off the ground between turns 3 and 6.

WizardMN

I forgot I hadn't added some previous cards so here is another change:
6/13/2022
Approximate Total Cost:

I didn't want to go down another Basic so I just started looking at other tap lands and Cave made sense. I liked the Cycling, especially in the context of the general and anything else that gets cards from the graveyard, but this again falls more into the idea that I want fixing. And I am still keeping the green and black cycling lands for now. I will see if those might be a bit less useful as time goes on.

pokken

Missing a turn one exploration because your only green source is one of these seems like the #1 scenario to hate. It doesn't happen a lot but I have found praerie stream to cause me a lot of grief.

Definitely not that many bad draws in this deck but being softer to non basic hate is also yuck.

I should also note that you likely want to cut a swamp or mountain for haunted ridge because you're cutting a green source net otherwise.

The triome seems good :)

WizardMN

That is a good point about the lands I cut for those. I probably should cut a Mountain instead as Red is easily the "worst" color in the deck. And I still go up a red source that way.

And I do get that it could hinder a potential turn 1 Exploration but I think that small risk is worth it here. If it happens often enough, I can think about cutting the Red Black land and throwing back in another Forest but for now I am not too concerned about it.

New change to swap a Mountain for a Forest:
6/13/2022

CUTS

ADDS

Approximate Total Cost:

WizardMN

Next round of changes:
8/5/2022
Approximate Total Cost:

First, Once and Future isn't actually being cut. At least, not online. Erinis from above isn't online so I am keeping it in for that.

Once and Future is meant to be cut for Avenger as I feel they do close to the same and I like the creature over the instant. Kura seems pretty good here as I don't mind lands just going to hand. And Barren Moor is too detrimental as it comes into play tapped so it made sense to cut for Takenuma. The last cycling land I have is Tranquil Thicket which I will cut for Boseiju as soon as it stops being $50+ online. I missed my window to get it around the $23 mark so I am just going to continue waiting for it.
Last edited by WizardMN 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Boundless *Sky

Has the curve not relevantly increased of late?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

WizardMN

Thanks. I hate it when I mistype/misspell cards in tags.

It almost certainly has though this is still around the 3.5 mark on average which isn't all that bad considering it is (more or less) a ramp deck. I think it is always something to keep in mind though I don't usually focus on the actual number as much as how it "feels". I don't think any recent changes have negatively affected the curve to a degree that I would find concerning. And, of course, this is a deck that I often have a little more wiggle room to go higher on the curve if desired.

WizardMN

With the full spoiler of Dominaria United, here are my thoughts on some of the cards that might make sense in this deck:

Green Cards

Silverback Elder - Finally a card I am excited about for this deck. It ramps which is good and can help clear out troublesome artifacts and enchantments which is good too. And the stats allow it to sit back and block to protect Windgrace which is relevant. I definitely like this card.

Tear Asunder - I like this for removal and even though it is 4 mana to get anything, it is exile which is relevant. And getting rid of an enchantment or artifact for 2 mana is a pretty good rate. I will see if it makes sense in place of some removal I already have somewhere.

Multicolor Cards

Soul of Windgrace - I mean, everything about this card suggests it should absolutely be in this deck. It cares about Lands, it triggers on ETB and Attacking, and it is literally the Soul of Windgrace. There is no way this doesn't make it into the deck somehow. Interestingly, it can grab lands from any graveyard which is pretty nice if I have already emptied mine of lands.

WizardMN

With the release of the full Brother's War set, I have gone through to determine what cards might be good for this deck. Or, in some cases, which ones are worthy of discussion even if I may not add them:

Green Cards

Titania, Voice of Gaea - I am not sure I care that much about her first two abilities. The stats are good, and life gain is nice, but the main inclusion is obviously for Titania, Gaea Incarnate. And that part looks really good. I am not sure how good the land actually ends up being but it is not so bad as to not run it at all. I might give this a try to see what might happen.

Titania, Nature's Force - This seems like a pretty decent card though I am not sure I actually have enough Forests for it. And 6 mana is quite high. It works awesomely with Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth though which isn't nothing. But the mana cost is a little too high to want to do much with it.

Multicolor Cards

Sarinth Greatwurm - Lands leading to more ramp? Seems decent. But the restriction on Powerstone tokens means the extra mana is basically always going to be useless. Definitely something that could fit in the deck but also something that doesn't do nearly enough. I do admit that it is kind of cool that *any* land entering will trigger it, not just the controller's.

Skyfisher Spider - Removal on a creature is always nice to see. I am not sure I am often going to have something else I want to sac, and it can't sac itself, so it might be more hit or miss than I would like. But it is a good effect overall.

Colorless and Land Cards

Argoth, Sanctum of Nature - Really only included for Titania. I am not sure I like that land all that much in general, though the mill addition to the ability could be pretty good with some other land recursion options as well as with something like The Gitrog Monster.

WizardMN

Here are some further changes I am making to this deck:

You Happen Upon a Glade is certainly one that isn't as needed anymore. It is a good card, but it isn't a great or absolutely necessary card so it feels fine to cut it here. Nissa has been discussed before and she has always been sort of on the line. Since I need cuts, it makes sense for her to be one of them.

Nylea's Intervention is likely the hardest cut here but being a Sorcery really hurts it. And I don't think it is quite as necessary of a card considering all the other cards that can fetch lands. And Colossus is basically just a big beater. He works well with the deck and I will almost certainly revisit him, but I need the space for now.

I mentioned Argoth and Titania above and I am not sure they are absolutely sure to be great here. They make sense but the land is underwhelming on its own. And, to be fair, so it Titania. I only care about the Melded permanent so if it doesn't happen often enough, both likely get cut again.

Silverback Elder has 2 really good abilities and the 3rd is alright. I think it ends up being worthwhile to include to see what it can help with. And Soul of Windgrace, as mentioned before, just makes absolute sense in this deck.

WizardMN

With the full set spoiled for Phyrexia, All is One, here are some of the cards I am looking at.

Green Cards

Cankerbloom - Being able to Proliferate can be beneficial here as it could be a way to "suddenly" Ultimate Windgrace a turn before opponents think we can. I think it is worthwhile enough to slot it in over Outland Liberator even though the latter can be more powerful. It might be worth trying to just throw it in over something else as well, but I don't know what that would be.

Conduit of Worlds - I like that we get another Crucible of Worlds type effect but the limitation on it is pretty, well, limiting. I think I would go with this over Crucible and the additional mana is worth the option, but since I am not running Crucible, I feel this is a tough sell.

Unnatural Restoration - I know I have a few spell based ways of getting things back from the graveyard, and those are intants in most cases, but this might be good because of the tacked on Proliferate. I might think about swapping this in for one of those other spells. I know it is still a little worse than Regrowth but Proliferate here can still be good. Probably not great so I don't think it is a definite swap, but something to think about.

Multicolor Cards

Glissa Sunslayer - I think she is pretty decent. She will almost never be blocked or she can hang back as a deterrent to being attacked. And when she does attack, she can draw some cards to keep my hand full. Or blow up an enchantment. I don't think the counters often matter but could be good to deal with Planeswalkers. I might give her a try just due to her versatility.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

The additional text on Conduit of Worlds is just gravy in my opinion. I would have played it without the additional recursion stuff, so topdeck protection on a Crucible is perfect for me. I would have liked to have it on a creature, but we will probably get that in the coming years.

pokken

Conduit letting you recast Windgrace from the bin is absurd.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”