Atraxa: Phyrexian Compleation

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

This is my Vorthos inspired Atraxa list that aims to be a highly functional deck outside of Atraxa's abilities. Some non-Phyrexian cards are in the deck because they are so powerful and there is a mini-Blink subtheme present in the deck in addition to a Pod theme and a Sacrifice theme, so there's a lot of variation in strategies that can be deployed in the deck. The Planeswalker suite is specifically chosen so as not to be a heavy Planeswalker-focused deck but still take advantage of Atraxa's proliferate trigger.

Atraxa, Phyrexian Tribal + ETB

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

cEDH Decklist
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Made some updates to the list, most importantly to include Toxrill because he's awesome for this particular deck's strategy of sac-ing creatures, proliferating, and creating a dominant board state.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

Yeah I found myself thinking Toxrill, the Corrosive would be fantastic in a non-artifact centric atraxa list ;) Or a pretty disgusting commander himself with a proliferate subtheme.

One reason I decided to do artifacts only was because the sheer number of card options for atraxa was overwhelming.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Totally agreed. I tried to take the best concepts that I saw represented amongst the powerful Atraxa lists I've seen on YouTube and in person and combine them into one list. It was SUPER difficult, but I'm pretty pleased with the list above. It's got a good balance between Vorthos and standalone power, so I'll look forward to testing it in the future methinks.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

With the new Atraxa coming out, it's time I update this list to make a Phyrexia tribal decklist with ETB themes. This is going to be AMAZING.

A lot of the core elements of this current decklist will transition over, but it's going to be more ETB focused.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Going to use the same atraxa or will you use the new? I feel that the new while REALLY great card advantage is not as good as 4CC atraxa. 7CC commanders tend not come out as often as you want even when playing green for ramp.

benjameenbear

EonAon wrote:
1 year ago
Going to use the same atraxa or will you use the new? I feel that the new while REALLY great card advantage is not as good as 4CC atraxa. 7CC commanders tend not come out as often as you want even when playing green for ramp.
I'll probably go with the new one Atraxa, Grand Unifier. Her ETB ability is absurdly strong and the way I want to build the deck shouldn't be dependent on her. The key to maximizing her trigger is to get dual type cards in the deck, so that you can maximize the number of cards she puts into your hand.

And I really only need her to show up once, maybe twice, in a game for her to have the impact I want. What's really nice about her ability is that she oftens finds you at least a land AND some sort of ramp piece so that you can keep recasting her. She's very similar to Golos in play patterns I think, so I think I'm going to try and explore her.

So, here's a rough decklist of what I'm thinking of rolling with for the first few games:

Atraxa, Phyrexian Tribal + ETB

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

benjameenbear

I'm considering trying to somehow squeeze Vishgraz, the Doomhive and Nissa, Ascended Animist into the deck to get more Phyrexia flavor. I'm thinking Koma and Craterhoof are the ones that should go. Does anyone else see any more swaps I can make for flavor?

Edit: Made the swaps.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Emiel the Blessed seems like maybe a flavor fail lol (i know why it's here though) . What about Jin-Gitaxias, Progress Tyrant seems generally powerful for this deck, albeit high cmc.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

@RowanKeltizar Yeah, I agree about Emiel. But I'm struggling to find a replacement for it. Maybe Ghostly Flicker? Gah, but I want something more repeatable if possible. I know Aminatou, the Fateshifter fills the role and adds diversity to my card type pool for Atraxa's ETB. Or maybe Venser, the Sojourner? Especially since he's been Phyrexian-ized...

Yeah, I heavily considered the new Jin-Gitaxias for this deck. Currently, I just added it to my Kalamax deck so I don't have a copy of it I can slide in here. And I'm worried I don't have enough Instants and Sorceries in the list to make Jin-Gitaxias worth it. I'm thinking I'd want to increase the Instant/Sorcery count by at least 2 for each card type, and I struggle to see how I can do that without getting rid of some awesome creatures/synergy pieces.

benjameenbear

Ok, I've settled on a list that goldfishes pretty well. It's pretty much the above list with Emiel switched out for Venser, the Sojourner (since he's been Phyrexianized). He's another card type for Atraxa's trigger, has a blink ability to get the same functionality that Emiel had (albeit WAY less powerful), and his second ability is actually relevant as another win condition. And if I get to his ultimate, it's probably a GG for the rest of the table.

But, I'll also be working on creating a Primer for this list. Since I'm a Phyrexian nerd, I feel an obligation to do so and include a comprehensive history of Phyrexia, all the way up until present day.

And good Lord, ANOTHER set preview?! I mean, it's about Phyrexia, so I don't mind as much, but... it's exhausting. And potentially anxiety-inducing. If they kill off Phyrexia, I will personally lead the revolt against WOTC and storm their doors myself.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
And good Lord, ANOTHER set preview?! I mean, it's about Phyrexia, so I don't mind as much, but... it's exhausting. And potentially anxiety-inducing. If they kill off Phyrexia, I will personally lead the revolt against WOTC and storm their doors myself.
Yeah, things are nuts right now in the story. I mean, it's pretty epic actually but I just hope they wrap this episode up well in this next set. If we get some magical cure and everything goes back to normal, I will flip my %$#%. That's what I'm most nervous about.

Most likely it will involve time travel though and we'll get all our heroes back and phyrexia will never have invaded other planes. I'm calling it now! Not the best ending, but preferable over some other options I could think of.

I really hope our other achenemies get involved somehow though. Bolas or Eldrazi.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic