NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Emerald-Obsessed Echidna
2{G}
Creature - Monotreme (U)
Trample
When Emerald-Obsessed Echidna enters the battlefield, create a tapped token that is a copy of Mox Emerald.
3/2

Dr. Eggman, Ivo Robotnik
2{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (M)
When Dr. Eggman, Ivo Robotnik, enters the battlefield, choose one-
-Create Orbot, a legendary 3/1 colorless Robot artifact creature token with mentor, and Cubot, a legendary 0/4 colorless Robot artifact creature token with training.
-Create Scratch, a legendary blue and black 2/2 Robot Bird artifact creature token with menace and vigilance, and Grounder, a legendary 3/3 black and red Robot Mole artifact creature token with trample and dethrone.
At the beginning of your end step, if an artifact creature you control died this turn, surveil 2, then draw a card.
1/1

In-Universe Version: Ashnod, Cruel of Heart

IIW: Strange theme for Jumpstart pack
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

@Juancu is that for the sonic the hedgehog prompt, if it is I'm wondering if I'm missing some context

Sporegorger_Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
if it is I'm wondering if I'm missing some context
Uncanny early Sonic from first trailer of live-action movie, infamous for eerily human teeth.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Yep that checks out

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Baby Chao 3
Creature — Chao {R}
2, Exile a card from your hand: Put a +1/+1 counter on Baby Chao. Then, if there are three or more cards exiled with Baby Chao, transform it.
2/2

Adult Chao
Creature — Chao {R}
For each color, if there are two or more cards exiled with Adult Chao that share that color, Adult Chao is that color.
As long as a card exiled with Adult Chao has flying, Adult Chao has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, protection, reach, trample, and vigilance.
4/4

IIW: Something you wanted to see in ONE
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Go Fast R
Instant
Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains trample and haste until end of turn.
You may discard up to two cards. If you do, draw that many cards.
////////////////////////
Look for Secrets 3UU
Sorcery
Name a nonland card, then reveal the top three cards of your library. Put the revealed cards into your hand. If one of the cards you revealed was the named card, it costs you 3UU less to cast this turn. (If multiple revealed cards are the named card, only one has its cost reduced.)
the thing that has always kinda bothered me about Sonic
Show
Hide

He looks NOTHING like a hedgehog!

Tails looks like a fox alright, but Sonic looks more like.... uh.... Sonic.
IIW: Discontinued keywords, or those they now barely use (such as landwalk, regenerate, fear, and shroud)

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

You're Too Slow 2B
Sorcery
Destroy target creature without haste, first strike, or double strike.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

judging now

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Human Teeth
Phobia
Sacrifice a human. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. Otherwise, discard two cards.

Uncanny Reject 2BR
Creature - Horror (U)
Haste
When Uncanny Reject enters the battelfield, mill a phobia card. You may trigger its effect. If you do, tap each creature an opponent controls.
3/3

(Like stickers, you may present a Phobos deck made of 10 different Phobia cards, which are bad effects with an angle. You may trigger them as drawbacks, to pay for effects (like Reject does), or if you pay enough, give them to your opponent.)

IIW: ties
So I had to check what was going on here and yep. This is a good representation of Early Trailer Sonic. (Can I point out also the early design wasn't even given anything approximating an eyebrow ridge? It's part of what made every expression in the trailer fall weirdly flat.)

Phobias are an interesting concept but will have development issues I'm genuinely concerned about. If you can trigger them as costs, that means they all have to maintain a very similar power level, which will be its own challenge. I could create phobias that may not affect me at all (and be essentially free), or be costs that aren't really costs at all. This has a lot in common with dungeons, but a lot different in ways that matter a lot!
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Egg shaped Villainy 1BB
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature has "Whenever an opponent taps an artifact for colored mana, gain control of that artifact until enchanted creature leaves play."
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control but don't own.

IIW: Creator's Choice
Very good, yummy. Mechanically I think this makes more sense as a blue card, but I get why you went for black also.

Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Spring Trap 2UU
Instant - Trap (R)
You may pay UU to cast Spring Trap if an opponent controls an attacking creature with flash or haste.
Return each attacking creature to its owner's hand.

IIW: Cards that can remove counters
This made me laugh and works really well. Aetherize was hard to justify even with its potential to be a one-sided wipe, costing it as a UU trap might do the trick. Good work.

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Emerald-Obsessed Echidna
2{G}
Creature - Monotreme (U)
Trample
When Emerald-Obsessed Echidna enters the battlefield, create a tapped token that is a copy of Mox Emerald.
3/2

Dr. Eggman, Ivo Robotnik
2{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (M)
When Dr. Eggman, Ivo Robotnik, enters the battlefield, choose one-
-Create Orbot, a legendary 3/1 colorless Robot artifact creature token with mentor, and Cubot, a legendary 0/4 colorless Robot artifact creature token with training.
-Create Scratch, a legendary blue and black 2/2 Robot Bird artifact creature token with menace and vigilance, and Grounder, a legendary 3/3 black and red Robot Mole artifact creature token with trample and dethrone.
At the beginning of your end step, if an artifact creature you control died this turn, surveil 2, then draw a card.
1/1

In-Universe Version: Ashnod, Cruel of Heart

IIW: Strange theme for Jumpstart pack
Knuckles made me laugh and that's actually a really nice mana dork. Uh, mana beefy guy? Mana something. Please don't tell him I called him a dork.

Ivo letting me choose between Cubot and Orbot, or Scratch and Grounder, does things to my heart. I get to pick the era of Robotnik I want! I like that Orbot and Cubot attacking next turn means you get a 3/1 Orbot and a 2/6 Cubot. (If I read that correctly.) Eggman's final triggered ability is on theme.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Baby Chao 3
Creature — Chao {R}
2, Exile a card from your hand: Put a +1/+1 counter on Baby Chao. Then, if there are three or more cards exiled with Baby Chao, transform it.
2/2

Adult Chao
Creature — Chao {R}
For each color, if there are two or more cards exiled with Adult Chao that share that color, Adult Chao is that color.
As long as a card exiled with Adult Chao has flying, Adult Chao has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, protection, reach, trample, and vigilance.
4/4

IIW: Something you wanted to see in ONE
This is a wonderful interpretation of Chao. It's mana intensive, but that's some good value.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Go Fast R
Instant
Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains trample and haste until end of turn.
You may discard up to two cards. If you do, draw that many cards.
////////////////////////
Look for Secrets 3UU
Sorcery
Name a nonland card, then reveal the top three cards of your library. Put the revealed cards into your hand. If one of the cards you revealed was the named card, it costs you 3UU less to cast this turn. (If multiple revealed cards are the named card, only one has its cost reduced.)
the thing that has always kinda bothered me about Sonic
Show
Hide

He looks NOTHING like a hedgehog!

Tails looks like a fox alright, but Sonic looks more like.... uh.... Sonic.
IIW: Discontinued keywords, or those they now barely use (such as landwalk, regenerate, fear, and shroud)
Go Fast and Look for Secrets are both pretty nice. I like the rummage stapled onto Go Fast. We could alternately template Look for Secrets with "If you reveal the named card this way, the next spell you cast with that name costs 3UU less to cast this turn."

(I gotta imagine they started with a ball rolling fast and took a LOT of artistic liberty before anything else mattered. But also I feel like Tails is one of the only cast members who does look a lot like his animal inspiration: Rogue, Knuckles, Sally, Amy, etc all don't look much more like their animals than Sonic does like a hedgehog.)
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
You're Too Slow 2B
Sorcery
Destroy target creature without haste, first strike, or double strike.
rip i'm not fast enough for nexus flamingo

This is gorgeous though.

HMs: Juancu for You're Too Slow, Sporegorger_Dragon for Emerald-Obsessed Echidna

Winner: @Ink-Treader

Next: Cards that can remove counters

Mergatroid_Jones

Smart-ass entry:

Teyo, Shieldcaster W
Legendary Planeswalker- (U)
Ward 1
{-1}: If you control a Wall, put a +1/+1 counter on each Wall you control. Otherwise, create a 0/2 white Wall creature token with flying and defender.
{{3}}

(I'll probably add another entry that's more what was intended)

IIW: Victory at a strange cost

Juancu

Source Warden W
Creature - Human Cleric (R)
W: Source Warden gains flying and lifelink until end of turn.
When Source Warden enters the battlefield, you may put a ☯ +1/+1 counter on target creature you control (You can't put a ☯ counter unless you pay 6 life. Gain 5 life as that counter ceases to exist. Remove any of your ☯ counter any time.)
1/1

☯ or "balance counters" are an abzan mechanic (W vs B, with G as center) that gives you great control over your life total. You are limited on how many ☯ you can keep on the field, but you can regain that life anytime. The wording could be more streamlined, but I wanted to avoid proliferate equaling "+5 life" to whichever player proliferates.

Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Nessian Wingcutter 2GG
Creature — Plant Hydra (U)
Trample, reach
When Nessian Wingcutter enters the battlefield, remove up to three counters from among other permanents. Put a +1/+1 counter on Nessian Wingcutter for each counter removed this way.
2G: Remove a counter from another target permanent. Put a +1/+1 counter on Nessian Wingcutter. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/2

IIW: flashback but more

Mergatroid_Jones

Leeching Zone
Land (R)
T: Add C. If Leeching Zone has three or more charge counters on it, you may add one mana of any color instead.
1,T: Remove a +1/+1 counter from target creature. If you do, put a charge counter on Leeching Zone.

IIW: Morph and similar abilities

Megiddo
MEG

Toxic Leech BG
Creature - Leech {M}
Toxic 2
Pay X life: Target opponent loses X poison counters. For each counter removed this way, Toxic Leech gets +1/+1 and gains toxic 1 until end of turn. Activate only once each turn.
2/2

IIW: Birds
MEG

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Ack, almost forgot about this. COmmencing judgments
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Smart-ass entry:

Teyo, Shieldcaster W
Legendary Planeswalker- (U)
Ward 1
{-1}: If you control a Wall, put a +1/+1 counter on each Wall you control. Otherwise, create a 0/2 white Wall creature token with flying and defender.
{{3}}

(I'll probably add another entry that's more what was intended)

IIW: Victory at a strange cost
That might be fine for a 1 mana planeswalker. Maybe. It can blank 3 attacks, and will likely be used that way, as the +1/+1 counter bit is more of a limiter on setting up multiple blocks than a notable end goal outside of dedicated Wall decks.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Source Warden W
Creature - Human Cleric (R)
W: Source Warden gains flying and lifelink until end of turn.
When Source Warden enters the battlefield, you may put a ☯ +1/+1 counter on target creature you control (You can't put a ☯ counter unless you pay 6 life. Gain 5 life as that counter ceases to exist. Remove any of your ☯ counter any time.)
1/1

☯ or "balance counters" are an abzan mechanic (W vs B, with G as center) that gives you great control over your life total. You are limited on how many ☯ you can keep on the field, but you can regain that life anytime. The wording could be more streamlined, but I wanted to avoid proliferate equaling "+5 life" to whichever player proliferates.

Ah, your general brand of out there design. Having control over your life total is neat, but I think the life cost here is too extreme for a mechanic. I'd start at 3, maybe 2.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Nessian Wingcutter 2GG
Creature — Plant Hydra (U)
Trample, reach
When Nessian Wingcutter enters the battlefield, remove up to three counters from among other permanents. Put a +1/+1 counter on Nessian Wingcutter for each counter removed this way.
2G: Remove a counter from another target permanent. Put a +1/+1 counter on Nessian Wingcutter. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/2

IIW: flashback but more
This is definitely unusual for green, as counter removal is usually black, sometimes blue. Fun with Sagas, though you can't use it to repeat final chapters do to being sorcery speed.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Leeching Zone
Land (R)
T: Add C. If Leeching Zone has three or more charge counters on it, you may add one mana of any color instead.
1,T: Remove a +1/+1 counter from target creature. If you do, put a charge counter on Leeching Zone.

IIW: Morph and similar abilities
I think it could at least eat any counter off of a creature. Neat idea for a land though.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Toxic Leech BG
Creature - Leech {M}
Toxic 2
Pay X life: Target opponent loses X poison counters. For each counter removed this way, Toxic Leech gets +1/+1 and gains toxic 1 until end of turn. Activate only once each turn.
2/2

IIW: Birds
An odd design. The activated ability is seemingly pointless, though there's plenty of good reasons to use it. But why mythic? I could understand rare perhaps, but it looks like it could get away with being uncommon.
Winner and HM
Show
Hide
Winner: Mergatroid_Jones for Leeching Zone
HM: spacemonaut for Nessian Wingcutter
Next challenge: Morph and similar abilities

Megiddo
MEG

Jace, Master Illusionist 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Jace {M}
As Jace enters the battlefield, you may reveal two cards you own named Jace's Illusion from outside the game. If you do, turn all three face down, shuffle them, and put them onto the battlefield.
You may turn Jace face up at any time.
[+1]: Draw a card. If you control a face-down creature, draw two cards instead.
[-2]: Return each creature card named Jace's Illusion from your graveyard to the battlefield face-down.
{4}

IIW: birds, birds, birds
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
I once made the same mistake (funnily also with a Jace entry), but you need extra text to ensure he gets loyalty counters ("as Jace is turned face up, put four loyalty counters on him").

Megiddo
MEG

what If I want to condemn him to death???

(good catch)
MEG

Juancu

Jumping Shifter 1W
Creature - Rabbit Warrior (C)
Shift 2W - Gain 3 life
(If your deck has cards with shift, you may start the game with up to three emblems that share one of their creature types.)
2/2

Rabbit Shape
Emblem - Rabbit
You may cast cards with shift face down, as a 1/1 white Rabbit creature for W.
(Turn a creature face up any time for its shift cost, then trigger that ability.)

Owling Shifter 1U
Creature - Bird Wizard (U)
Flying
Shift 2U - Remove all counters from Owling Shifter and draw that many cards.
2/1

Bird Shape
Emblem - Bird
You may cast cards with shift face down, as a 1/1 blue Bird creature for 3U.
Face down birds you control have flying and enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on them.
(Turn a creature face up any time for its shift cost, then trigger that ability.)

Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Viashino Sandsneak
{R}
Creature - Viashino Rogue (U)
Haste
Megamorph {R}
At the beginning of your end step, turn Viashino Sandsneak face down.
1/1

Gelatinize
{U}
Instant (R)
Turn target creature or planeswalker face down. It's a 3/3 green Ooze creature.
More palatable to both Mel and Volrath.

IIW: Card for strange Jumpstart pack theme

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Facedown Corpse
Creature - Zombie (R)
Morph B
When Facedown Corpse is turned faced up, destroy target creature or planeswalker. Facedown Corpse becomes a copy of the destroyed permanent but is a Zombie in addition to its other types and if becomes a planeswalker, it gains one loyalty counter.
0/1

IIW: What's going on with Amonket right now?
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

Judgmentations
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Jace, Master Illusionist 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Jace {M}
As Jace enters the battlefield, you may reveal two cards you own named Jace's Illusion from outside the game. If you do, turn all three face down, shuffle them, and put them onto the battlefield.
[+1]: Draw a card. If you control a face-down creature, draw two cards instead.
[-2]: Return each creature card named Jace's Illusion from your graveyard to the battlefield face-down.
{4}

IIW: birds, birds, birds
I wouldn't have thought of needing text for counters, but it should be a pretty easy fix. What I really wanna know is what Jace's Illusion does.

Don't you have to define what they are as they're turned face down?

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Jumping Shifter 1W
Creature - Rabbit Warrior (C)
Shift 2W - Gain 3 life
(If your deck has cards with shift, you may start the game with up to three emblems that share one of their creature types.)
2/2

Rabbit Shape
Emblem - Rabbit
You may cast cards with shift face down, as a 1/1 white Rabbit creature for W.

Owling Shifter 1U
Creature - Bird Wizard (U)
Flying
Shift 2U - Remove all counters from Owling Shifter and draw that many cards.
2/1

Bird Shape
Emblem - Bird
You may cast cards with shift face down, as a 1/1 blue Bird creature for 3U.
Face down birds you control have flying and enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on them.

This is a parasitic mechanic. Nevertheless, it's a very cool one. Presumably it would work much like contraptions/attractions where shift emblems must be drafted and probably appear at a rate of one per pack.

The thing I'm not sure about is limiting it to a shared creature type (though I do get the flavor). It seems a little cumbersome to have to say at the start "Okay, I've got Crab Shape, Wolf Shape, and Horse Shape, and here's my proof that I have a shifting Crab, Wolf and Horse.

Rather, I think all the creatures with shift should be Shapeshifters in addition to their base types. That's already there in the flavor, and then you don't need to explain why the Fish was taking a Fox shape. Since the emblems only effect creatures with shift, I think it's unlikely this could cause any waves or issues in eternal, but that's something to keep an eye on with a mechanic like this.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Viashino Sandsneak
{R}
Creature - Viashino Rogue (U)
Haste
Megamorph {R}
At the beginning of your end step, turn Viashino Sandsneak face down.
1/1

Gelatinize
{U}
Instant (R)
Turn target creature or planeswalker face down. It's a 3/3 green Ooze creature.
More palatable to both Mel and Volrath.

IIW: Card for strange Jumpstart pack theme
The Sandsneak just keeps getting bigger, but slowly. It's a 1/1 haste, then it morphs over into a 2/2, then megamorphs to be a 2/2 again, then it flips back into being a 3/3. Morph it for another counter, but it's still a 3/3 until it flips back over. That's a kinda funky pattern, but worth it for a red mana, and not too pushed (though a Raging Goblin that turns almost immediately into an Isamaru, Hound of Konda isn't nothing.)

Gelatinize: what? Wordplay! I guess that's a malapropism (melapropism :grin: ) between Vorthos and Volrath. This is just a redone version of Rapid Hybridization, but now it's rare and hits planeswalkers. Certainly more palatable to Volrath.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Facedown Corpse
Creature - Zombie (R)
Morph B
When Facedown Corpse is turned faced up, destroy target creature or planeswalker. Facedown Corpse becomes a copy of the destroyed permanent but is a Zombie in addition to its other types and if becomes a planeswalker, it gains one loyalty counter.
0/1

IIW: What's going on with Amonket right now?
That's quite clever. However I don't like that it's effectively a better Control Magic for 3B.

I feel like the zombie should have base power and toughness 2/2 (traditional zombie stats), and it shouldn't hit planeswalkers. Even so, it's quite a bit more efficient than Ravenous Chupacabra. Especially considering you can play it on turn three and later activate the morph as an instant. Pay one mana to kill their dragon, and become a zombie dragon: backbreaking. At least Wall of Stolen Identity can't attack.

Generally, I feel this is too pushed. Looking at cards like Planar Disruption, it's clear they are willing to push removal farther than it's ever gone, but this should be thought of as a theft card more than a removal spell, at least from a balance perspective.
Victorations
Show
Hide
Winner: Juancu for yet another blatantly weird mechanic that I like.
Next: Ties

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
I guess that's a malapropism (melapropism :grin: ) between Vorthos and Volrath.
defeated

Living Bowtie
1{U}
Artifact Creature - Equipment Faerie (C)
Flying
Whenever Living Bowtie or equipped creature attacks, untap target permanent.
Configure {2}
1/1

Tie Up Loose Ends
2{U}{U}
Sorcery (U)
End the turn.

IIW: Card for a very strange Jumpstart pack theme
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Industrious Spouses 1G
Creature- Human Peasant (U)
Homebond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Industrious Spouses is paired with a land, that land has "T: Add CC" and "T: Add one mana of any color". Activate these abilities only if Industrious Spouses hasn't been paired with another land this turn.
"You mended the roof and painted the door? Good. I finished the weeding and sharpened the tools. Goodnight!"
1/3

Cathartic Arsonist 2R
Creature- Human Rebel (U)
Homebond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
T, Sacrifice a land paired with Cathartic Arsonist: Cathartic Arsonist deals 1 damage to target opponent and 1 damage to each creature and planeswalker that player controls.
"The smoldering destruction reminds me of home."
3/2

Camouflaged Merfolk 2U
Creature- Merfolk Scout (U)
As long as Camouflaged Merfolk is paired with an untapped land, it has hexproof and can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.
Underwater: impossible to see. On land: impossible to miss.
1/3

Loyal Homeguard W
Creature- Human Soldier (U)
When a land paired with Loyal Home Guard becomes tapped, choose one--
- Gain 1 life.
- Loyal Homeguard gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

IIW: Teeth

Megiddo
MEG

Unhassled Arbiter 2WW
Creature — Loxodon Cleric {R}
Unhassled Arbiter has ward 3 as long as it's untapped.
At the beginning of your end step, if a player has fewer cards in hand than each other player, that player draws a card. Then if no player draws a card this way, put a +1/+1 counter on Unhassled Arbiter.
3/4

IIW: Weird conditions (stuff like Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner)
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”