void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL February Signups/Round 1

"About Face"

Misthoof Kirin, taken from Art of MtG, by Ryan Barger and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Changing Forms Month here in the CCL. This month, we'll explore the many mechanical ways cards can shift from one version into something else.

Challenge
Design a card with morph or megamorph.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, February 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 9th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 17th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (February 18th–21st)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due February 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 1st)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Charging Augmenton XX1
Artifact Creature - Construct (Rare)
Charging Augmenton enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
1: Turn Charging Augmenton face-down.
Megamorph 1
1/1
Last edited by netn10 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Formless Legion 1B
Creature — Skeleton Soldier (U)
Formless Legion gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
When Formless Legion is turned face up,, mill two cards, then you may return any number of creature cards named Formless Legion from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped and face down.
Morph 2BB (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
1/1

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Materialization of Fears 2ub
Creature - Illusion Horror (r)
Flying
When Materialization of Fears deals combat damage to a player, look at that player's hand. You may choose a card from there, if you do, that player puts that card onto the battlefield under their control face down as if it had Morph.
Morph - Turn a nonhorror creature with Morph you control face down.
5/1

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Cookster Frogmental
Creature - Frog Elemental (Rare)
Double Strike
Whenever a creature token you control attacks, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, discard your hand. If you do, create a 1/1 blue, red, and green Elemental token for each card discarded this way.
Morph
3/5
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending the round by 24 hours - this is open to everyone and you have nothing to lose by entering!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Vinecloaked Tendrillus - gG
Creature - Plant Elemental. {U}
When Vinecloaked Tendrillus is turned face-up, turn it facedown.
Megamorph GG
You might not believe how the tendrilla of Krogenwood can hide within the underbrush - until you see how massive the Krogenwood wilds are!
2/2

Levin
Pronoun: any/all

Post by Levin » 1 year ago

The Infinite Legion - 4gb
Creature - Army
When a creature card you own is put into any graveyard or exiled, you may put it onto the battlefield face-down. It gains Morph - X, where X is its mana value.
When a creature is turned face-up or face-down, you may put a +1/+1 or -1/-1 counter on The Infinite Legion and that creature.
4: Turn target creature face-down.
Morph – 2{b/g}{b/g}
3/6
Last edited by Levin 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
A terrible name maker. Suggest names for my creations in PMs.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Evangel of Image WW
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Ward 1
Changeling
As Evangel of Image enters the battlefield or is turned face up, choose a creature type and a card name.
Creatures of the chosen type you control have protection from the chosen card name.
Megamorph 2WW
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Deathless Butcher BB
Creature - Zombie Soldier (R)
Deathless Butcher can't block.
Morph - Exile a creature card from your graveyard
BB: Return Deathless Butcher from your graveyard to the battlefield face down.
3/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright - round is closed! Please critique all other contestants and provide a top 3!

After the first two rounds this month we'll cut to a top 6.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Will review this evening.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Charging Augmenton XX1
Artifact Creature - Construct (Rare)
Charging Augmenton enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
1: Turn Charging Augmenton face-down.
Megamorph 1
1/1
The question with morph and its variants will always be, is it more profitable to keep the creature face-down, or face-up? This is typically just an Ivy Elemental with "2: Add a +1/+1 counter", which, while not particularly strong, is certainly mana-efficient. It loses a little by turning face-down (specifically, it gets -1/-1) and certainly handy with cards that trigger on turning things face-up (Aphetto Runecaster and others.) For that second aspect, I'd say it's much too cheap.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
1 year ago
Formless Legion 1B
Creature — Skeleton Soldier (U)
Formless Legion gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
When Formless Legion is turned face up,, mill two cards, then you may return any number of creature cards named Formless Legion from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped and face down.
Morph 2BB (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
1/1
I like the basic design, but I'd be really tempted to change the first ability (the P/T boost) to a Relentless Rats clause (the "any number" clause, not its own P/T boost!) That's mostly because you want to be returning those creatures to play with the second ability ... and they will spawn more creatures. As it stands, in its current iteration, it's difficult (in 60-card) to get to a spot where two copies are continually recurring each other, and impossible in EDH.

Minor quibble, but you have an extra comma in the triggered ability.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Materialization of Fears 2ub
Creature - Illusion Horror (r)
Flying
When Materialization of Fears deals combat damage to a player, look at that player's hand. You may choose a card from there, if you do, that player puts that card onto the battlefield under their control face down as if it had Morph.
Morph - Turn a nonhorror creature with Morph you control face down.
5/1
I'm not certain why you went with the triggered ability, rather than manifest.

Its own morph ability is a little unusual -- the majority of creatures with morph aren't Horrors, so it's not a strong limitation. And, on that note, it should be "non-Horror creature with morph."
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Cookster Frogmental
Creature - Frog Elemental (Rare)
Double Strike
Whenever a creature token you control attacks, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, discard your hand. If you do, create a 1/1 blue, red, and green Elemental token for each card discarded this way.
Morph
3/5
That's a very ... unusual mana cost there. Tjhe ability is very strong, especially given support from red and green (Goblin Warrens, Avenger of Zendikar, and so many others). Trading tokens for cards is almost pure profit, especially since they don't have to connect.
Levin
Show
Hide
Levin wrote:
1 year ago
The Infinite Legion - 4gb
Creature - Army
When a creature card you own is put into any graveyard or exiled, you may put it onto the battlefield face-down. It gains Morph - X, where X is its mana value.
When a creature is turned face-up or face-down, you may put a +1/+1 or -1/-1 counter on The Infinite Legion and that creature.
4: Turn target creature face-down.
Morph – 2{b/g}{b/g}
3/6
This is a realllllly strong ability, especially given that it protects against exile. Realize that by itself its infinite mana with Phyrexian Altar, as well as infinite ETB/dies triggers for things like Blood Artist. With a second, low-MV creature (Ornithopter or Memnite come to mind) you can trigger its second ability any number of times, too, making it sufficiently large to one-hit players out of the park.

I change it to "Whenever a face-up creature card you own ..." and add "Whenever a face-down creature you control dies, exile it," which should remove the infinite loopability,
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Evangel of Image WW
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Ward 1
Changeling
As Evangel of Image enters the battlefield or is turned face up, choose a creature type and a card name.
Creatures of the chosen type you control have protection from the chosen card name.
Megamorph 2WW
3/2
So the question with morph will always be, is it more profitable to put this into play face-up or face-down? and by making its ability trigger either way, you're removing that bit of gameplay. Okay, face-down lets you put a +1/+1 counter on it eventually, but that's a really small deal compared to having protection from your opponents biggest threat (or sole defending card). There's a wee big of gameplay in being able to throw protection as a faster-than-instant, but that's small potatoes overall.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Deathless Butcher BB
Creature - Zombie Soldier (R)
Deathless Butcher can't block.
Morph - Exile a creature card from your graveyard
BB: Return Deathless Butcher from your graveyard to the battlefield face down.
3/1
This is a weird combination of abilities. Part of the joy of morph is that it your opponent doesn't know what card it could be. Casting it face-down from your hand adds that element of mystery; face-down from the graveyard really needs some strong gameplay interaction to make up for it. This recurs itself infinitely for just BB, which is awfully cheap; the "surprise" I guess is that face-down it actually can block!, but it's only slightly stronger as a 3/1 when it turns face-up. I'd increase the mana cost to recur it, the cost to unmorph it, and boost its size so the change in combat strategy really matters.

Rankings
Show
Hide
1. Subject16's Formles Legion
2. kwanyeegor-ii's Evangel of Image
3. slimytrout's Deathless Butcher
4. marioguy3's Cookster Frogmental
5. Henlock's Materialization of Fears
6. Levin's The Infinite Legion
7. netn10's Charging Augmenton
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Levin
Pronoun: any/all

Post by Levin » 1 year ago

Net, one, 16
In this order
A terrible name maker. Suggest names for my creations in PMs.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

just top 3 this time
SPOILER
Show
Hide
1 henlock
2 oneandonly
3 slimytrout
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
It's a fun idea but the activation/megamorph cost is probably too cheap -- the cheapest existing activation to add a +1/+1 counter without additional costs (typically sacrifice, discard, or tap) is Jenara, Asura of War, which is a three color card with a colored activation. This will too often come down as a 1/1 on 1 and then just grow from there. Also there's not much reason to ever cast this as anything but a 1/1 since you can grow it at instant speed for the same cost.
Subject16
Show
Hide
The idea of returning other copies of itself is fun but mostly trinket text compared to growing from creature cards in the yard. I like the little bit of suspense over whether you're going to mill creatures with the unmorph.
Henlock
Show
Hide
The first ability would be a bit more fair if it said "that player manifests that card" - as is, it looks virtually identical to "that player discards that card and creates a colorless 2/2 token" since the only way they can flip their card up is if it has morph itself. 5/1 flyer for 4 is an aggressive rate but power creep among midrange flyers has been enough that it's actually a bit below the curve (see Orcus, Prince of Undeath).
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Oh man, this guy spits out tokens like crazy. I like the basic idea but maybe the tokens could just be for discarded creatures?
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
This works a lot like netn10's submission, just with slightly different workings. I don't think it's appropriate as an uncommon.
Levin
Show
Hide
This card would be *way* more balanced if it started "Whenever a face-up creature you control dies..." As is, it's just too easy to go infinite with it. Also I don't love the fact that you edited your submission after void closed the round -- please don't do this in the future.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Ooh, I like this a lot -- morph here is basically a way to give the card flash. Not sure why it needs to be megamorph rather than normal morph, but that's my only quibble.
T3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Henlock
3. Subject16

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

1. OneandOnly
2. Subject16
3. Slimytrout

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

netn10: Feels a bit both confusing and underpowered for a rare. Probably could use one more ability that cared if it turned face up to be more a fun card.

Subject16: Now this is a pretty fun use of the megamorph mechanic. This legion of small but growing megamorphs will ruin an opponent's day.

Henlock: Cool concept, but I think the card needs reminder text that the card put face down is a 2/2 colorless creature with no abilities text. Creative for sure.

OneandOnly: Strange card to explain about what the point of its face up ability is.

Levin: Yeah, this can go infinite with a 0 drop sac outlet creature.

kwanyeegor-ii: I like how the text of this card reads and how the cards interact with each other. The ward is a solid design choice too.

slimytrout: Always the interesting take on the "self-return" black creatures of Magic lore.

Top 3:
3rd place: slimytrout
2nd place: kwanyeegor-ii
1st place: Subject16
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”