February MCC, Round 1 - Druidic Arts

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Culling the Weak, by Scott M. Fischer and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
February MCC, Round 1 - Druidic Arts

Welcome to the February MCC! It's Mana Production Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a creature card with a T ability that produces mana.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not green
Subchallenge 2: Your card has one or more mana symbols in its text that are of a color the card is not

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, February 8th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, February 11th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet!
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Bomb Handler R
Creature — Goblin (C)
1, T, Sacrifice Bomb Handler: Add BR.
"Ooh, shiny! Let me pick this up and take a good look at i—"
—Gronk, last words

1/1
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Deepkelp Shaper U
Creature — Merfolk Druid (U)
T: Add G. Spend this mana only to cast an instant, sorcery, or Merfolk spell.
She reads the ripples in the kelp, interpreting the will of the tides.
0/1

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Priestess of Emanation 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric Wizard (R)
Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay U. If you do, draw a card.
G, T: Add two mana in any combination of colors. Spend this mana only to cast an enchantment spell.
0/1

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Ethersworn Realizer W
Artifact Creature - Homunculus (Rare)
T: Add UB. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells. Artifacts cast with this mana enters the battlefield tapped with three stun counters.
1/1

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Cleric of Salves
Creature — Human Cleric {R}
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, they lose one life. Add . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
: Target player gains 1 life.
: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature.
: Exile Cleric of Salves. Return it to the battlefield transformed at the beginning of the next end step.
"Remedies, potions, salves, come and get them! Made from only the finest ingredients! All sales final!"
1/2
//
Beast of Salvation
Creature — Horror {white}
First strike, lifelink
Ward—Pay 3 life.
Beast of Salvation enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature that died this turn.
Whenever Beast of Salvation deals combat damage to a creature, you may exile that creature. If you do, its controller gains life equal to its power.
The former peddler of illegitimate cures, transformed by his own products into a beast whose remedies were far more final.
0/0

Levin
Pronoun: any/all

Post by Levin » 1 year ago

Bloom-tender Automaton 8
Artifact Creature - Construct
Bloom-tender Automaton enters the battlefield tapped.
g, : Add 4 mana of any color to your mana pool.
6/6
Last edited by Levin 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Irenneka Innovator
Creature - Devil Artificer R
Haste
, Sacrifice a noncreature, nonland permanent: Add .
"Our world left the path of reason a long time ago. The only way to make progress anymore is to tear down what is already here."
3/1
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Æther Bender U
Creature - Human Monk {R}
T: Exile target spell you've cast. Add U.
U, T: Exile target spell you've cast. Copy that card. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
W, T: Exile target spell with mana value 0.
"The right path might not always be the one you initially chose, but rather adapt in to."
1/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Briya, Spark Wizard
Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)
Vigilance
, : Add . Spend this mana only to cast instant and sorcery spells.
, Exile Briya, Spark Wizard: Add .
3/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Servant of the Reaper 3
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (U)
T: Add C.
The first artifact spell you cast each turn costs {W}{U}{B}{R}{G} less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay.
"Is that rust on its scythe, or blood?"
—Bowen, Barrenton guardcaptain

2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Solfatara Acolyte 1B
Creature - Human Warlock (Uncommon)
Ward - Pay 2 life.
T, Pay 2 life: Add RR. Spend this mana only to cast a spell that targets a creature an opponent controls. When you do, that spell gains split second.
2/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Bitter Acolyte - 1bb
Creature - Human Cleric {R}
t, Pay one life: Add b equal to the amount of life you have lost this turn. If you have gained life this turn, you may add that much w instead. You can't add more than five mana this way.
1/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright, round is closed - I'm pleased by the number of entries! I'll judge solo and the top 8 will advance to round 2.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Not a big enough body or big enough mana for Txmmy. Jxnny has Aristocrats things to do with a one-mana creature or may specifically want Goblins to die and always likes to have mana of two different colors on hand. Just not powerful enough for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Sure, hard to beat that!

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Obviously it's fine for a red creature to sacrifice itself for a ritual-type effect, but I'm just not getting where the adding B comes from. Is it because cartoon bombs are literally depicted as black? If the flavor were more on point this would be a full score.
(3/3) Balance - I absolutely can't fault you here - this card doesn't stray from what a one-mana common can do. In fact, it's actually probably a bit weak for Limited, but not so underpowered that I'd dock points.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - The Rakdos Signet-esque ability is an interesting wrinkle, but how many "sacrifice for mana" creatures have we seen from Blood Pet on down? I think there are quite a few things that could have been done here to make it more unique while staying in the bounds of a one-mana common.
(2.5/3) Flavor - This has perfectly good, pithy flavor text, and does a good job justifying itself except for why a bomb is adding mana and why black is involved, so I've kind of split a 1-point deduction here between viability and this category.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy is really not much for this, but Jxnny and to a lesser extent Spike are both intrigued by the possibility of getting green mana accel in a blue Merfolk deck.
(3/3) Elegance - Sure, not an issue - "instant, sorcery, or Merfolk" is actually a particularly elegant phrase.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - "Mana for instorceries" is an established blue ability by now, building on the older "mana for artifacts" tap ability, but despite the Merfolk tribal twist this feels sort of disappointing for Limited. It's clearly for a particular two-color archetype, but I think it can still be common easily. If I were making it uncommon, I'd make it a 0/2, especially since that leverages blue's reputation for high toughness versus power.
(3/3) Balance - On the whole, certainly not overpowered, nor really underpowered, although it's on the low end of efficiency - the price to pay for giving a color an ability it's bad at, one supposes.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Giving blue the ability to tap for an off color, and adding Merfolk tribal to the list of valid things for which to use the mana, are new twists, but otherwise this is a pretty bog-standard mana maker.
(3/3) Flavor - This makes exceptional sense. Nice name that rolls off the tongue.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Not an issue.

Total: 21/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both want to go crazy playing enchantments, but while this is the kind of thing Spike likes, at these costs it's too fragile for Spike, who has better options.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but both the triggered and the activated ability are simple.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Enchantments are white's thing. Adding in the allied colors makes it possible for white to do things associated with those colors using enchantments. It all makes sense to me.
(2.5/3) Balance - The costs here might be too safe, and frankly make this card a little underpowered. Yes, Verduran Enchantress, the classic version of this effect, is still considered powerful, as are other enchantress effects, but this is 4CMC and requires mana in order to draw cards for the tradeoff of the mana ability, which, while good, is also not quite enough to justify the other losses of power.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a mashup card combining very old effects in a new way.
(2/3) Flavor - I like the name and the use of both Cleric and Wizard typing, but I don't really get a sense of the setting for this card.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.

Total: 20.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes producing two mana per tap on the cheap but is not big on the drawback. Jxnny and Spike both have major reasons to want to use this card.
(2/3) Elegance - The intent of the card overall is understandable, but the condition for using the mana is wordy and requires tracking.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This card would most typically be U tapping for WB, but in an Esper setting and with the "put artifacts in stasis" drawback I can definitely see it in white. Rare is where I would put this.
(2.5/3) Balance - The drawback for using the mana is harsh, to be sure, but this card is a bit swingy (and dependent on deck composition): Either it makes it so you can't use your artifacts in time and you get beat, or you utilize artifacts that just don't depend on tapping, accelerate a bunch out, and get a huge advantage.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This card has only a "basic" mana ability, but it has enough twists - being a white card that produces UB and the quite original drawback - to make it feel new.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I love Esper Homunculi! But also, this card could have possibly used short flavor text. The name, however, is great.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - The last clause needs rewording/a grammar change: "If this mana is spent on an artifact spell, that artifact enters the battlefield tapped with three stun counters on it." (I know this seems redundant.)

haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Plenty here for Txmmy and Jxnny, and actually even for Spike - although they would likely only use this for the triggered ability and the lifegain.
(0/3) Elegance - This card is, not to put too fine a point on it, a mess. Three activated abilities and a triggered ability on the front side, plus a whole bunch of mana symbols, and a back side that has three keyword abilities, is variable in size, and additionally has a triggered ability… altogether, this is too much. The front face alone would have to be printed in microtext.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors fit, and this would have to be at least a rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - This card is legitimately hard to evaluate with everything it's doing, but I'd say it's too powerful for what it costs. W to gain 1 life at any time already seems like a powerful combo enabler/mana sink to wall off your life total, and the triggered ability is inherently strong. Everything else is just gravy.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - There's a ton going on here, and no card quite like this has been printed.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Two disconnects here: Why is there a transform ability if the medicines work as intended (they seem to; the front face legitimately prevents damage and gains life)? And why does the back face not have the Beast type if it has it in the name? I get that this is a Healing Salve reference and a Swords to Plowshares reference, but while the front face clearly has a Salve connection in the flavor I guess I'm not all that sure what the back face flavorfully has to do with StP.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That first sentence should say "Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, that player loses 1 life."
(0/2) Main Challenge (*) - Plainly doesn't have a tap ability, unfortunately.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 16.5/25
Levin
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both have ways and reasons to cheat this out, while Spike just doesn't really see the appeal in any way.
(3/3) Elegance - Yup, no issues here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels fine at colorless, that is indeed a green-themed activated ability, and power level aside this would have to be rare.
(2/3) Balance - Probably leans too far towards underpowered. This feels like a VERY old artifact creature design, when both creatures and colorless stuff were much more conservatively costed and less powerful than they are now. Eight mana for a ramp card is win-more, and that body isn't going to rock any boats for the cost. In other words, I think this design plays it too safe and falls squarely in the bulk rare camp.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Oddly the only "four mana of any one color" effect out there is Blacker Lotus, but otherwise this is a pretty simple mana ability attached to a big but otherwise vanilla body.
(1.5/3) Flavor - The name does match the ability, but honestly, it's fairly generic and literal: "Bloom-tender" to hearken back to many other mana-of-any-color adders with flower related flavor, and "Automaton" because it's a Construct artifact creature. Plenty of room for flavor text, and some would have helped a lot.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That mana ability should say "Add four mana of any one color…" - see Gilded Lotus and similar.

Total: 19/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy particularly likes how this is good for both combat and mana making, but might balk slightly at the relatively high cost of the mana ability. Jxnny and Spike are all over it.
(3/3) Elegance - Absolutely no issues here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red and rare look good, as do the other associated colors.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - potentially powerful, but you need particular permanents to fuel this. A great enabler and central piece for a specific deck. Spot on for this kind of rare.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - This has a relatively normal mana ability and there have been haste mana maker creatures before, but altogether it feels new.
(3/3) Flavor - Really neat. Gives me a hint of worldbuilding and draws me in to learn more, especially with that typeline. I'd like to see a world with sapient devils as a major red race and one where artificers are involved in the study of mana/leylines or what not.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks alright.

Total: 23.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This is too small and fiddly for Txmmy, but Jxnny and Spike both like it for differing reasons.
(2/3) Elegance - Three abilities with potentially complex implications and, to newer players, totally unclear utility. These might be better off saying "spell you control".

Development
(3/3) Viability - Some of these abilities are kind of uncharted territory, but Nivmagus Elemental suggests that blue can exile its own spells as a cost. Rare works.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - a niche card that's bound to be used either for combos or to hose something (counterspells or Living End and its ilk). The mana ability might even be a little weak and could maybe even add two mana, although it's not necessarily the main thrust of the card.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Definitely new ideas here.
(3/3) Flavor - Perfect. The ascetic/balancing feel of the abilities is complemented well by the Monk type and the philosophical flavor text.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - All other things being equal, an activated ability with a white cost should be written above one with a blue cost (same as mana cost order).

Total: 22.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike both have reasons to appreciate that potentially explosive mana, although Jxnny wishes this were less one-note; at least there are any number of different instorcery combos it enables.
(2/3) Elegance - Since the two mana abilities are similar but different and can easily be used in the same turn, there's bound to be confusion about why one adds mana that's restricted and the other adds unrestricted mana. Besides, it just comes off as odd that one requires generic mana to use and the other requires specifically red.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - While adding one-shot mana is certainly a red ability and the body and keyword are fitting with white, "mana only for instants and sorceries" appears to be more blue than it is red.
(2.5/3) Balance - There are probably dumb things that can happen from paying 1R to ramp up to RRRRRRR the turn after this comes out, but in practice this is probably a relatively slow ritual that is relatively limited in scope, so it shouldn't be too out of line.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Pretty much just a vigilance beater that makes mana - a Satyr Hedonist plus-plus - which is fairly unexciting for a legend.
(1/3) Flavor - Not getting much out of this. "Spark Wizard" is a pretty generic title - why is this character white? Why those mana abilities?

Polish
(2/3) Quality - This was pretty clearly meant to be a legendary creature based on the name, but isn't one in the typeline.

Total: 17.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny love this - less so Spike, except in certain niches.
(2.5/3) Elegance - That cost reduction ability is slightly wordy, but for the most part this card is quite elegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Fittingly artifact-y, but you could argue that cost reduction ability is borderline uncommon/rare.
(3/3) Balance - Very strong as long as you have, well, the right colored artifacts, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - An interesting variation on the Edgewalker style of cost reduction.
(3/3) Flavor - Flavor text is really fitting of the Shadowmoor setting, and it's appropriate that this card can hustle out Reaper King the turn after you drop it.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 22.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Pretty much a Jxnny/Spike card - Txmmy wants to be able to ramp to use things other than removal, after all.
(2/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, and granting abilities to spells involves certain complexities.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Sure - this feels like a black card, red is a natural second color to associate with creature removal, and ultimately it feels uncommon (rare would be too high for what this is, despite the uniqueness).
(2.5/3) Balance - A two-mana black creature that taps for two mana would normally probably be overpowered, but the restrictions on the mana use make this much more comfortable. Still, the ward and the split second are both strong additions - it's even a 2/2!

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - An interesting twist on the typical mana maker.
(2/3) Flavor - Evocative name, Warlock feels like good typing - could use flavor text though.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Instead of a triggered ability, that last clause should probably be "If you spend this mana to cast a spell, that spell gains split second."

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny are both about this, but the "can't add more than five mana" rider, while useful for balancing, makes them less interested than they otherwise would be. Spike considers this but ultimately a three-mana mana maker has to be REALLY good for them to be interested.
(2/3) Elegance - It's ambiguous whether gaining life allows you to add W equal to the amount of life you gained or the amount you lost. The ability itself is also somewhat wordy, although by necessity.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black has a history of tap-for-mana creatures with life payments, and the white mana is added here in a way that makes sense. Rare is okay.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing objectionable here. "Can't add more than five" means no Wall of Blood combos or whatnot.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Sort of an Accomplished Alchemist variant - adding different colors of mana based on different conditions and self-fueling with the life payment are interesting.
(2/3) Flavor - Name somewhat conveys what's going on and it's neat that it's a mana-making Cleric, but this certainly could have used flavor text.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be "Pay 1 life" and "Add an amount of B equal…"

Total: 19.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Rithaniel 23.5
Freyleyes 22.5
slimytrout 22.5
Subject16 21
Riria 20.5
netn10 20.5
kwanyeegor-ii 20.5
bravelion83 20

OneAndOnly 19.5
Levin 19
marioguy3 17.5
haywire 16.5

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”