Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I didn't even notice Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber get spoiled, but rarely have I been so baffled about an ability. In a world where Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist why would anyone want to play Rhuk? What are you supposed to do, pre-equip to an Ornithopter to prepare for him entering the battlefield? Bro he costs 3 lol, why would you need to prepare?
As is, Rhuk is a niche fallback piece that soaks up equips from things that die in a non-wipe manner. A potential placeholder defender of your castle as your voltron commander got whacked and you need to redeploy/reequip. Rhuk would have a cool application if there were equips that rewarded you for being put on or unequipped, but as is the only triggers of that nature kill off the creature :P This doesn't strike me as likely design space to explore, R&D has gone on record that equipment leads to samey game actions even without this extra carrot. But hey, maybe one day.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

FoxHybrid
Guardian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by FoxHybrid » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Guys, help me english isn't my first language. Migloz, Maze Crusher is Migloz some thing that crushes in a maze or that crushes mazes? I'm dissapointed it doesnt crush Maze's end :(
After seeing some more flavor text from the set, I believe the maze in Migloz's name is in reference to the Hunter's Maze (I may be slightly off base with the name, but I know it ends in maze), where the green phyrexians associated with Vorinclex hang out. He crushes things in a maze.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

Makes me wish for a land that was "Maze of Vorinclex" that removed a creature from combat and made them fight a random creature on the battlefield. Maze of Ith, but with violence!

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Ovika, Enigma Goliath feels like a better Prismari general than what we have, and I will run it as such.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

kraus911 wrote:
1 year ago
Makes me wish for a land that was "Maze of Vorinclex" that removed a creature from combat and made them fight a random creature on the battlefield. Maze of Ith, but with violence!
That actually sounds sick.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

hmmmm
Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler in b/g Erinis, Gloom Stalker or whatever Windgrace deck, sifting yr deck for and reviving Dawnstrider or Priest of Forgotten Gods... giggle giggle giggle. slots right in alongside Nissa of Shadowed Boughs

this is a great planeswalker, terse abilities, WAR-style ability which is fairly relevant, previous tribal boredom lord recovered into something with more utility, ten out of ten design. hope it's gnot broken in that Lurrus type way

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I also just like the idea of a PW socking creatures in the face.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I have a feeling this is a stroooong set and maybe some playables will be ignored and then shoot up in price like a rocket. I'll have to keep an eye on constructed results so I don't miss something like Ledger Shredder . Thankfully I noticed Fable of the Mirror-Breaker // Reflection of Kiki-Jiki before the mega spike.

But for now here is my list of cards I'll either buy or try to trade for

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Mondrak, Glory Dominus , Anointed Procession with legs, is the card to keep an eye on for me. WIll need to look more at the set to see what to pick up because theres a lot of goodies

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

This one does seem like it has an above average number of strong cards for a Standard set. That doesn't always translate into high values but I am considering picking up some of the cards sooner than I usually would.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

set is really good. "phyrexian" creature type is awful, particularly cos they didn't print anything that targets phyrexians

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I think Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler is pretty neat in 60 card formats, it enables Fiend Artisan and Prime Speaker Vannifar in unfair strategies will be effectivey be 2 for 1 in fair low curve elf decks with the minus ability. And with the density of dorks they run it coudo enable biiig turns thanks to the pseudo haste , it trully might be a sleeper hit

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
set is really good. "phyrexian" creature type is awful, particularly cos they didn't print anything that targets phyrexians
It's been mentioned that it's due to the density of phyrexians in this set. If they'd printed a creature with "Phyrexians creatures you control get +1/+1", they'd have to cost it the same as "Creatures you control get +1/+1" for this set. Something like 80% of creatures have the Phyrexian type in this. Personally, I'd expect phyrexian tribal/hate to be in the next set, where it can be costed appropriately as a tribal element, but still have all the phyrexians from this set to interact with in larger formats.

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 1 year ago

We have started getting first looks at some of the cards in March of the Machine, courtesy of a panel at PT Philadelphia.

I really love the idea of having character team-ups where its one card with a fusion of sorts of different legends and their abilities. Planechase being an active part of the new Precons is cool as well.
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more card draw.

Decks:
Dragonlord Ojutai
Isperia the Inscrutable
Lurrus of the Dream-Den
Katilda, Dawnhart Prime
Beledros Witherbloom
Jenara, Asura of War
Niv-Mizzet Reborn

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
Remember when most creature types were just there for flavor, and we didn't need to have a tribal deck for literally every single type to ever exist?

Phyrexian farm remembers.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
Remember when most creature types were just there for flavor, and we didn't need to have a tribal deck for literally every single type to ever exist?

Phyrexian farm remembers.
Normally I think your tribal distaste is a little overwrought, purely because some flavors lend themselves to it. Zombies, elves, goblins, all of them kind of lean into being tribal thematically anyway. But I do think we're definitely at the point where all of the requisite tribal tribes are represented, we could 100% stop now and not jump the shark.

I blame MaRo and his %$#%$#% squirrel fetish; if they can be a legitimate tribe damn near anything can.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

New set came out last week, which means it's time for more spoilers, I guess? Still, I'm a fan of Planechase, so nice to see it returning in March of the Machine.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I can't tell you how big of a smile I had when I saw Yargle and Multani. It's simple, amazing, and combo's with Giant Growth to one shot opponents.

toctheyounger

Holy crap, Drana and Linvana is nuts. What a great card.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Omnath, Locus of All looks like a strong option for '3C matters' decks, somewhat comparable to Niv-Mizzet Reborn. Or just save up mana for the juiciest Torment of Hailfire of all time.
Three or more colored mana symbol, doesn't have to be three colors. It can be GGG if needed be.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

I kind of like the cards of two Legends, but sheesh, does everything and everyone have to be Phyrexian. They are sure not holding back on turning all the popular planes.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Oh, lord. Is there going to be a Phyrexian Erebos?

EDIT: Thalia and The Gitrog Monster is the Abzan commander of my dreams.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

toctheyounger

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
If I had to guess based on last known lore I'd say no. Heliod was the god on Theros most prone to choking on his own hubris having murdered Elspeth out of jealousy for her adoration, and thus is probably the most easily turned.

Still you never know.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
If I had to guess based on last known lore I'd say no. Heliod was the god on Theros most prone to choking on his own hubris having murdered Elspeth out of jealousy for her adoration, and thus is probably the most easily turned.

Still you never know.
Yeah, it's my understanding that Erebos just wants to vibe.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

SO much crazy stuff. Multani + Yargle killed me

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”