Jaheira, Clan Crafter - My Treasures are Clues

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Believe it or not, despite playing commander since Kresh the Bloodbraided was a powerhouse, I've never built a simic deck.

So with this simic deck, I made sure that I could ramp and draw cards!

The commander Jaheira, Friend of the Forest is insanely busted - essentially green Urza, and Clan Crafter is a hell of a draw engine. With both in play, any artifact token we create adds to our mana base or can be sacrificed for draw.

I've built the deck, and played a couple games, and it can get out of hand quickly, especially if Academy Manufactor gets involved.

Would love to get feedback on the token producers I've included, and what cool ones I've missed.

Right now, I started with 40 lands, almost certainly too many in a deck where nearly every card you play can ramp you with the commander in play - so there's probably room for some spice.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Side Note:

I've deliberately avoided infinite combos.

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Deck is pretty cool. I think these cards might potentially be useful for you;

Whirler Rogue is a fun one that makes a few tokens and helps push through damage.

Thopter Spy Network shouldn't be too tough for you to trigger, makes tokens and provides card draw.

Not sure if alt win conditions are your thing but Mechanized Production would probably be pretty effective.

Chromaticus

Had a fun game with this deck last night – the explosiveness of the mana is kind of nutty when Jaheira, Friend of the Forest lives. I was playing a 3 man versus Miirym, Wyrm Sentinel and Varina, Lich Queen – my deck that I loaned to a friend. Think Pokken's Varinaristocrats with about 10 cards different.

Mulliganned away a slow hand, and kept a risky 2 lander with Hard Evidence and Shark Typhoon to get me out of a pinch should I wind up in one. The hand also had Tireless Tracker, Cyclonic Rift, and Ant Queen.

I led off with Hard Evidence and drew into Sylvan Offering

The next turn I didn't draw land, so I cracked my clue. Lonis, Cryptozoologist and I started to sweat.

The next turn I drew Sol Ring and played it as well as Sylvan Offering for two. By that time, Miirym had deployed a Parallel Lives off a Sol Ring start, so the tokens went to Varina.

Varina had played out a few zombies, and Miirym played Conjurer's Closet, still setting up.

The next turn I was still stuck on land 2, but I played Jaheira and had 4 bonus mana from the tokens I'd made to that point. I used them, and the remaining 1 mana to play Clan rafter and cycle Shark Typhoon for a shark and hopefully a land. Old Gnawbone off the top.

Miirym had a wild turn, playing Jeska's Will, Miirym, Wyrm Sentinel and a Wrathful Red Dragon that brought along 2 buddies. At end of turn, when she went to blink it, Varina played Swift End on it.

I played Tireless Tracker, a land, and Parallel Lives

The next turn, Miirym blew up Parallel Lives, and 3 dragons swung, 10 damage to me, 6 to Varina. Conjurer's Closet untapped the commander.

Varina then swung her team except the commander into Miirym's lone defender. The Wrathful Red Dragon triggers didn't go after Jaheira, instead blowing up the treefolk I'd gifted, Withered Wretch and a saproling token. She followed this up with Lilliana's Standard Bearer for a big draw.

On my turn, I deployed Doubling Season and Servo Schematic,and kept up counter magic (Confirm Suspicions).

Miirym played Scourge of the Throne and attacked again with the three dragons – this time making 5 copies of the Scourge as the Conjurer's Closet went uninterrupted.

Varina played out some more zombies, but otherwise didn't do much.

On my turn, I went ham. I overloaded Cyclonic Rift, played Old Gnawbone and swung for 21 damage, making 42 treasures – passing the turn. From that point, it was mopping up, the other players redeployed, but the wrath attempt was countered, and Varina's end step I drew 20 cards, one of which was Cyberdrive Awakener which was plenty lethal for both opponents.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Deck seems sick!

As some "spice" suggestions:
- Concordant Crossroads and Thousand-Year Elixir would give you ways for your creature tokens to also generate mana the turn you cast them to make the Storm Dream live and make the deck even crazier.
- Stuff like Turnabout, Dramatic Reversal, and even Vitalize seems silly here, and enough stuff like that might even make it worth considering "worse" Storm cards like Hunting Pack and Mind's Desire.
- And I also don't think it would hurt to just run more interaction or protection - Swiftfoot Boots, Counterspell, Negate, Heroic Intervention, etc.

In addition to cutting land, I'm not sure what Training Grounds is doing for you in this deck - you only have a few cards it really helps.

Chromaticus

Thanks Hawk!

Concordant Crossroads im deliberately not running because I don't want this deck to have infinite combos — more interaction seems like a good idea.

Training Grounds only really works with Clan Crafter - but cutting the cost to sacrifice artifacts to 1 means you can basically draw a card for every artifact token you have if desired. 1 is just exponentially less than 2.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
Thanks Hawk!

Concordant Crossroads im deliberately not running because I don't want this deck to have infinite combos — more interaction seems like a good idea.

Training Grounds only really works with Clan Crafter - but cutting the cost to sacrifice artifacts to 1 means you can basically draw a card for every artifact token you have if desired. 1 is just exponentially less than 2.
Oh, that does make sense and I guess Heartstone would be similar but if you've got grounds run it eh?

Since you asked for token makers I thought hard and the only one I can think of is Treasure Vault? There are a few token makers like Full Flowering or Awaken the Woods that are good in other Gx token decks but seem pretty mediocre for your build, and most other exciting token makers feel too ponderous. I guess since you're considering more interaction, it's worth considering Sublime Epiphany? I've been routinely impressed by it in Volo, Guide to Monsters despite the insane 6MV price tag.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 8 months ago

Got in the first game in a long time with this deck.

If Jaheira, Friend of the Forest doesn't die, games don't last very long.

I went turn 2 Noble's Purse
Turn 3 Oko, Thief of Crowns
Turn 4 Jaheira, Friend of the Forest, Killer Service, Wavesifter evoked, make a rhino.
Turn 5 Bootleggers' Stash
Turn 6 Cyberdrive Awakener kill a player.
Turn 7 Finale of Devastation kill the other players.

Sure, most decks can kill a goldfish, but I was holding up mana for countermagic most of the game. Strong deck is strong!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”