Unreleased and New Card Discussion

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

That sounds like a really fun deck.

I am interested in the questing beast and embercleave but if the price is too high I can go without.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Linden, the Steadfast Queen. Lovely. I guess I'm rebuilding Darien, King of Kjeldor. :grin:
Some friends and I were just talking about it. Seems hype with Archangel of Thune, or Karlov of the Ghost Council. There are a few cards that benefit from incremental life gain, and Linden will provide it in spades.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I am all about Torbran. Mono-red, dwarf, works well with weenies? He does everything I want to be doing.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I am all about Torbran. Mono-red, dwarf, works well with weenies? He does everything I want to be doing.
Most definitely. I absolutely want to activate Pyrohemia with Torbran on the table.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Most definitely. I absolutely want to activate Pyrohemia with Torbran on the table.
I'm all about casting Firecat Blitz with Impact Tremors or Raid Bombardment down. He plays nice with token generation, red hate effects in the form of "do something, take damage" (which is most of them), burn spells, double strike, pingers, Grapeshot, and probably several other things I'm forgetting. I really like that he forces you to play actual red cards and not just a red-flavor artifact list. It also looks like the perfect home for Akki Lavarunner and I'm constantly searching for places to play that.

Also he's a dwarf, which is far and away my favorite high fantasy race. That definitely plays into my appreciation of the card.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Well, there's The Cauldron of Eternity, and I'm kindof disappointed by that trigger.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Well, there's The Cauldron of Eternity, and I'm kindof disappointed by that trigger.
Wizards doesn't want anyone to have fun with that downside :/

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

It could be fun if you want to delve into a self mill deck. But....... yea I think that one might require a little bit of setup. Still, if you ever get to cast it for BB it would be sweet.

The issue is how long it would take for most decks to cast it at a reasonable cost.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

lyonhaert

I think it would have been still a fair card without that trigger. But that trigger changes it from a generally useful recursion artifact to somewhat build-around. I'd probably appreciate the flavor of the design more if it really had to do with how the cauldron functions in the story.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

The Cauldron of Eternity is... interesting. My experience is that most recursion-focused decks aim to recur the same creatures over and over - Meren of Clan Tel Noth, Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, etc. Cauldron shuts that down. On the other hand, if you're doing a pure reanimator build and are capable of filling your graveyard with targets, reanimating any of them for only three mana, repeatedly is a pretty powerful engine. Can't bring back the same thing more than once though, so you do need a way to restock.

Forever Young is a cheaper Gravepurge for decks that want it.

Yorvo, Lord of the Garen Preserve is interesting. A 4/4 for GGG that grows as you play more green creatures. No evasion, so I think I would lean towards Ghalta, Primal Hunger as the default 'enormous green beater' general. Still, could be good if you care about +1/+1 counters - Hardened Scales, etc.

Linden, the Steadfast Queen is fine. Gains life, enables devotion, nothing super spicy here.

Drown in the Loch may be interesting for mill decks, but I think I'll stick to unconditional removal/countermagic elsewhere.

Torbran, Thane of Red Fell is interesting as a burn / pinger commander. Tripling your damage is a very strong effect. Relative value falls off as the size of your burn spells grow though.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Forever Young is a cheaper Gravepurge for decks that want it.
Also sorcery vs instant, which is a significant downgrade for the effect. I'd typically view this kind of thing as Raise Dead with upside. Being able to do it instant speed means you're able to protect things from hate or counter opposing reanimation spells (targeting your stuff, obviously) in addition to all of the usual benefits of having things instant speed. I don't really like the effect, but I'd still take Gravepurge over the new one if I had to choose.

Cauldron is interesting. Much more of a lategame payoff, which makes it much more fair as reanimation goes. You're not likely to cheat anything out super early unless you already have some kind of combo in place. I could see it in a deck like Chainer, Nightmare Adept or Olivia, Mobilized for War where you have easy discard access in the command zone to keep it live after you exhaust your original stock of 5-8 creatures.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Wizards doesn't want anyone to have fun with that downside :/

This will be awesome.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I could still see The Cauldron of Eternity in a deck like Anje Falkenrath or Chainer, Nightmare Adept where you can always discard it if you aren't ready for it. Its clearly more build around than Whip of Erebos which is a bit unfortunate if you ask me but I think its fine. I can live with a card with narrow applications as long as I can still see something that isn't like a single commander somewhere.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

For one shining second I thought castle vantress was the nonbasic island of the set, and everything was right and good with the world.

I mean, it's still a great land I'll use a lot, but hitting off fetches would have been *chef's kiss*.

Oh well. Thanks anyway wizards. I look forward to the other basic-typed lands sucking butts.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

lyonhaert

So Castle Garenbrig is okay (basically +1 g), but Castle Lochtwain is way worse than Underworld Connections?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Those rare castle cycle is amazing... they all will be played cards

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
but Castle Lochtwain is way worse than Underworld Connections?
I mean, the Castle replaces and functions like a Swamp most of the time. Sure, it's worse as a dedicated draw engine, but it also fits in many decks with almost no downside/cost to play. Also, Vilis, Broker of Blood is a card.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
For one shining second I thought castle vantress was the nonbasic island of the set, and everything was right and good with the world.

I mean, it's still a great land I'll use a lot, but hitting off fetches would have been *chef's kiss*.

Oh well. Thanks anyway wizards. I look forward to the other basic-typed lands sucking butts.
Lol yea I assumed that too when I first saw the cycle. That would possibly be a little concerning.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
So Castle Garenbrig is okay (basically +1 g)
Not if you have Mana Reflection! :P

lyonhaert

umtiger wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
So Castle Garenbrig is okay (basically +1 g)
Not if you have Mana Reflection! :P
Anything that makes mana is better with Mana Reflection. :P
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

Escape to the Wilds is as good as it gets for impulse draw in r/g. Getting the extra land play as well as digging very deep sells the card for me.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
Escape to the Wilds is as good as it gets for impulse draw in r/g. Getting the extra land play as well as digging very deep sells the card for me.
I'm glad the "until the end of your next turn" wording seems to be the standard now. It's the same use it or lose it flavor as the early versions of the effect but orders of magnitude more playable.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
I'm glad the "until the end of your next turn" wording seems to be the standard now. It's the same use it or lose it flavor as the early versions of the effect but orders of magnitude more playable.
They've said that it'll vary based on the size of the effect and mana cost. Chandra, Fire Artisan still only does until end of turn, for example, because she's typically doing one card at a time.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Yeah, you know what i said about the new land cycle being staples? It's still true, just don't look at the white one...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”