GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
J agree. Giant tribal sounds horrible.
Guess I need to build a Giant tribal deck to school you with for the next time we play.
Oh I guess I never told you, I began demoing the basement. That built-in in the corner hides the house's well pump and it's quite old. We just had to replace the water heater so we are installing a new pump, but I had to completely remove the built-in. So now I'm going to turn that corner into a bar, the old bar area into the pantry and knock down the wall to expand the room.

I have a plan for what I would like to do in the room, but I don't know how much I want to put into it since I'm not sure how long we plan to stay in the house.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
75chan wrote:
4 years ago
Visited my old LGS this weekened... The meta somehow became even worse as Flash Hulk and Giant tribal battles it out (how do people find this fun???)
I have contemplated some Giants being included in a Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas deck. Going full tribal with any commander on giants sounds quite questionable though.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

75chan
Shoegaze ♥
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
75chan wrote:
4 years ago
Visited my old LGS this weekened... The meta somehow became even worse as Flash Hulk and Giant tribal battles it out (how do people find this fun???)
I have contemplated some Giants being included in a Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas deck. Going full tribal with any commander on giants sounds quite questionable though.
He used to run Kalemne as the commander to it (I think, I know he has run Kalemne but I'm not 100% sure it's the same deck), but has since moved onto Brion Stoutarm. The guy likes his overcosted tribals, he also has an angel tribal, what can I say :p (I've not played vs that, but I'm assuming it's better than giants by quite a bit)
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Oh I guess I never told you, I began demoing the basement. That built-in in the corner hides the house's well pump and it's quite old. We just had to replace the water heater so we are installing a new pump, but I had to completely remove the built-in. So now I'm going to turn that corner into a bar, the old bar area into the pantry and knock down the wall to expand the room.

I have a plan for what I would like to do in the room, but I don't know how much I want to put into it since I'm not sure how long we plan to stay in the house.
That sounds like quite a bit of work, but clearly means you can now build a super-awesome dedicated Magic corner! With all the bells and whistles!

More to reality, that sounds pretty fair. Are there actual plans to move out? or just some uncertainty?

I've been looking to my own place in the same light. Not so much of moving out - I just moved in so I'll be here a while, but I've been pitched a few recommendations to my ideas of "You should do this instead, it'll have better resale value." And on one hand, I'm tempted because that makes sense... but on the other I'm sitting there going... I'm doing this for me, not for some random Steve or Susanna who might buy several years from now.
75chan wrote:
4 years ago
He used to run Kalemne as the commander to it (I think, I know he has run Kalemne but I'm not 100% sure it's the same deck), but has since moved onto Brion Stoutarm. The guy likes his overcosted tribals, he also has an angel tribal, what can I say :p (I've not played vs that, but I'm assuming it's better than giants by quite a bit)
Kalemne seems quite fun, but my issue with her is that she doesn't lend well to Giant tribal. A surprising number of decent giants actually cost 4 or less, and of those that cost more... many are... questionable? (Jotun Owl Keeper, Desolation Giant, Marble Titan, Brion Stoutarm). Inferno and Sun Titan are giants, at least.

She also wants to punch face more, and I feel that Equipement tribal suits her much better. Things like Stonehewer Giant and Godo, Bandit Warlord - with big things to punch face.

Eh, now that I think about it... it actually could work...

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Kalemne doesn't need much support to be a combat monster. The biggest issue I have with her is that every time I start to plan out a list, it ends up basically identical to how I build Samut, Voice of Dissent and I just like Samut more.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Kalemne doesn't need much support to be a combat monster. The biggest issue I have with her is that every time I start to plan out a list, it ends up basically identical to how I build Samut, Voice of Dissent and I just like Samut more.
When I was eyeing Kalemne I had big beefy boys with pyroclasm etbs as a build. Mine never left the concept phase.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

That's fair. Samut is a straight up monster.

One more mana for added flash, haste, haste provider, and the capability for some shenanigans, (and another color). Pretty fair tradeoff compared to the loss of constant growth.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago

That sounds like quite a bit of work, but clearly means you can now build a super-awesome dedicated Magic corner! With all the bells and whistles!

More to reality, that sounds pretty fair. Are there actual plans to move out? or just some uncertainty?

I've been looking to my own place in the same light. Not so much of moving out - I just moved in so I'll be here a while, but I've been pitched a few recommendations to my ideas of "You should do this instead, it'll have better resale value." And on one hand, I'm tempted because that makes sense... but on the other I'm sitting there going... I'm doing this for me, not for some random Steve or Susanna who might buy several years from....
(Got zealous with the backspace. Whatever.)

Mrs. Cryo and her mom have had a... difficult relationship growing up, which is basically all I'll say about that. It had improved when Mrs cryo and I had our own house (can't remember if you ever were there), but moving back in with mom has made her realize that MiL is still the same person she was and hasn't changed. The arrangement that was described to us to encourage us to move here has not happened and we worry that it may be better for us to move back out in the long run. Unfortunately, a large chunk of the remainder of our proceeds from selling old home are going into this house now, so we have to think about major purchases because it will take away from saving towards a downpayment that will help us get a house we want rather than just something we can afford.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 4 years ago

Been a reasonably good day. Immunotherapy seems to be working; no new cancer and existing nodules have not grown. Got invited to be special guest at CommandFest DC. Tried a kind of wine I've never had before (rose of Tempranillo) and it's pretty good.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
Been a reasonably good day. Immunotherapy seems to be working; no new cancer and existing nodules have not grown. Got invited to be special guest at CommandFest DC. Tried a kind of wine I've never had before (rose of Tempranillo) and it's pretty good.
Good to hear it's not getting in the way of living your best life, and also doing what it ought to do. The hope for most people is that it doesn't dominate every aspect of your waking life, so this sounds really excellent. I'm glad it's smooth sailing so far, but also glad that you're able to do the things you love too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
That is excellent news to hear about the treatment. Hopefully it doesn't take as much of a beating on you as your previous treatments did.

I'll probably get to drive down on Saturday for one day of Commander, so make sure to put me on the waiting list for a game. I should convince [mention]bobthefunny[/mention] to come out to Roanoke or DC, I'm sure he would like to meet you.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Oooo, I could probably make the DC one. I'm not sure how I feel about that quantity of Sol Rings though.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

I just burned my thumb on a hot pan coming out of the oven. This is painful.
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
That is excellent news to hear about the treatment. Hopefully it doesn't take as much of a beating on you as your previous treatments did.

I'll probably get to drive down on Saturday for one day of Commander, so make sure to put me on the waiting list for a game. I should convince bobthefunny to come out to Roanoke or DC, I'm sure he would like to meet you.
It might not take too much to convince me... just saying.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Oooo, I could probably make the DC one. I'm not sure how I feel about that quantity of Sol Rings though.
Awesome, let me know if you do.
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
I just burned my thumb on a hot pan coming out of the oven. This is painful.
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago

I'll probably get to drive down on Saturday for one day of Commander, so make sure to put me on the waiting list for a game. I should convince bobthefunny to come out to Roanoke or DC, I'm sure he would like to meet you.
It might not take too much to convince me... just saying.
I double dog dare you to go.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Man, writing a Primer is hard work. On the other hand, when you're forced to consider every card in your deck in one go, it definitely sharpens the thought process with regards to potential cuts, especially when you get to cards that are essentially in there because you needed that type of effect and it happened to be in front of you. I'd highly recommend it, just be aware it's a long old process, and that's with using the handy template provided.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Yerp, it's customary for me to make a few swaps while writing the primer as I collect all the sensible options and whatnot, and tend to spot some improvements to the list. That said, the world needs more primers, and it'd be nice if we found a way to popularise them outside the bounds of the forum. They're a handy information resource on the commander at hand,

Seeing how it's suddenly primer season 'round here, my Ghired is consciously mildly suboptimal, as I'm avoiding running easy infinite combo and particularly unpleasant creatures (Archon of Valor's Reach and Yosei, the Morning Star come to mind). The question becomes - is this still primerable? While I can defend my lack of inclusion of the combo pieces as they're middling stand-alone, the two creatures I brought up feel like they should be ran in any serious build of the commander. And yet here I am, not doing it by choice. What do? Can still write this up? :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

[mention]cryogen[/mention] now i wanna put snowfall into the same deck i have solemnity thanks Shivam "Professional Magic Liker" Bhatt @ghirapurigears

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen now i wanna put snowfall into the same deck i have solemnity thanks Shivam "Professional Magic Liker" Bhatt @ghirapurigears

I thought about making that joke, but then I thought about it. With Solemnity in play, Snowfall generates 1 or 2 mana that can't use because I'm not creating counters.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Man, writing a Primer is hard work. On the other hand, when you're forced to consider every card in your deck in one go, it definitely sharpens the thought process with regards to potential cuts, especially when you get to cards that are essentially in there because you needed that type of effect and it happened to be in front of you. I'd highly recommend it, just be aware it's a long old process, and that's with using the handy template provided.

Dragonlover
Indeed. This is why almost every list I write has an explanation of what the goal of the deck is, what the theme is, and what are the major contributing factors.

I won't always go quite to current primer standards of depth, but it's a very helpful process, both to focus your own contribution, but also to get your readers and commentators on the same page to get more useful feedback.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Seeing how it's suddenly primer season 'round here, my Ghired is consciously mildly suboptimal, as I'm avoiding running easy infinite combo and particularly unpleasant creatures (Archon of Valor's Reach and Yosei, the Morning Star come to mind). The question becomes - is this still primerable? While I can defend my lack of inclusion of the combo pieces as they're middling stand-alone, the two creatures I brought up feel like they should be ran in any serious build of the commander. And yet here I am, not doing it by choice. What do? Can still write this up? :P
Go crazy. My Jaya list intentionally omits Sol Ring and that's way more of a format staple if you only talk to people on the internet. I don't have Distorting Lens, Painter's Servant, or Squee, Goblin Nabob in there either, which feel like autoincludes in Jaya for a lot of people. Archon and Yosei don't even seem particularly necessary for Ghired. If your gameplan revolves around copying and populating and you're playing towards prison, sure. If you're just playing more of a beatdown or value game, they're not even on theme. If you're worried about it, you can always write a paragraph about why they're good and why you're not running them.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I made Lovisa Coldeyes in to a primer, and that was even before I cleaned house on the deck and removed stuff like Balduvian Barbarians. Follow your dreams!

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Yerp, it's customary for me to make a few swaps while writing the primer as I collect all the sensible options and whatnot, and tend to spot some improvements to the list. That said, the world needs more primers, and it'd be nice if we found a way to popularise them outside the bounds of the forum. They're a handy information resource on the commander at hand,

You totally should! 75% decks need primers just as much as highly tuned monstrosities.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Seeing how it's suddenly primer season 'round here, my Ghired is consciously mildly suboptimal, as I'm avoiding running easy infinite combo and particularly unpleasant creatures (Archon of Valor's Reach and Yosei, the Morning Star come to mind). The question becomes - is this still primerable?
Absolutely. A primer isn't a guide to CEDH, it's a guide to how you built your theme and the choices of cards you ran. Every meta is different, and everyone's idea of fun is different.

In the Modern forums, there was only allowed one primer for any deck - because there could only be one optimal build, and only needed one discussion area to reach it. Commander is vastly different. We've often had multiple Primers for the same Commanders, because no two people builds, metas, and expressions would be the same.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
The question becomes - is this still primerable? While I can defend my lack of inclusion of the combo pieces as they're middling stand-alone, the two creatures I brought up feel like they should be ran in any serious build of the commander. And yet here I am, not doing it by choice. What do? Can still write this up?
Definitely still write up. Primers are not (necessarily) guides to an optimal build, they're guides to your build, whatever that might be. All of my decks are 75-85% absolute tops and I make no bones about my budget too, yet I have 3 primers currently (and no, it's not because I'm on the committee - there's a standard that needs to be met). If it really is something you want to discuss, include a section for 'notable exclusions/alternate builds/alternate choices' or whatever. I use this in all of my primers because I don't have access to fetches, swords of x and y, duals, hard tutors, or generally anything that might run you more than $30 NZD, but also because deck lists are varied and I want to give the idea that I know the commander and build well enough to suggest other options.

Ultimately the primer is infinitely less about the cards you choose and more about how you represent your list, how you describe it, analyse it, sell it and discuss it. The content is far more important than the cards you choose. We've even tossed up fully themed decks too, although it's not something we've had an application for since I joined.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I'm tempted to post my rat deck,but I haven't added any new cards to it since i posted it over at sal
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”