Throne of Eldraine- what each card represent

DrFunkenstein
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

So most of what we have previewed is quite obvious, we have the classic faerie tale antagonists, like the Giant Jack slayed, trolls under bridges and wicked step mothers. We also have the heroes, such Goldilocks, Robin Hood and the Beast (who loved Belle). But some are not quite obvious.

I want to discuss two things here:

1) What are some of the not so obvious parallels? For example, which knight in Eldraine represents which knight in particular (each knight had their own personality and style) from Arthurian lore.

2) Color shifts that make sense in its color, but is different from what have viewed them as, such Robin Hood traditionally wore green and lived in the forest with his Merry Men, so we associate green with Robin. Any other card make a color shift you weren't expecting? I am intrigued with Cinderella's Glass Slippers being white as they they are elegant and used for good, but they are also helped her run away quickly. Also Robinhood, but I gave that example already.

Will we get a legend that represents the Sheriff of Nottingham? I am expecting the Sheriff to be multicolored, black and white. But I will not be surprised to see him in white, as white can view laws of taxation as acceptable.

Some stories of old have just a few main stories, so representing them would be simple, but for deeper stories like Arthur and his Knights or Robin Hood, a lot of characters are there. I think the tricky part here is balancing out all of the stories. I really hope this isn't a one-of set. Hope it becomes a block. Would really dig (if they are not already in this set) Little Bo Peep, Snow White w/ her 7 dwarven boyfriends, and Rumpelstiltskin. I would venture that the influences will go beyond Grimm's Fairy Tales. But wonder how contemporary Eldraine will go? Wizard of Oz? Alice in Wonderland? I just do not want it to a be a M:tG regurgitation of "Once Upon a Time" by Disney.

DrFunkenstein

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

Wow... a-freakin'-mazing how no one has anything to say. The only way for Nexus to survive and thrive is if we engage each other.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Would have replied sooner, but noticed your thread only today.

In reply to your number two. I think Robin Hood and his merry men have been colorshifted to red, because they are thieves. And red is the color with plenty of haste. Haste = running fast. Thieves need to run fast.

Also I'm liking mtg version of Goldilocks, she's complete with traps and weapons to slay the bears. :grin:

A little disappointed no cards which reference Puss in Boots. Was hoping I could get another good card for my cat deck. ><
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

I haven't updated it due to personal stuff and computer deleting 2 hours worth of fairy tales typing but I already had made a thread in the lore section on this you could have looked at.

We are also been told nursery rhythms, talking animals and the modern fairy tales of Oz, Neverland and Wonderland wouldn't be used
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I didn't respond because I didn't know how to answer the question.

I am not proficient in either fairy tale world or aurthorian lore, besides the completely obvious tropes extracted for fiscal gains by powers greater than myself

I was hoping people would respond in this thread with the "easter" eggs. the deep stuff that only people smart in such topics would know.

I will say this for fun.

id watch out for eldraine. magic will definitely (probably I mean I really don't know) come back. this is lowryn 2.0, the reason we wont go back to lowryn (in my mind) is lame. now "lowryn" has humans so that's fixed.

the umbrella of "fairytale" is real. I think lowryn touched on it, lowryn 2.0 is showing the vein. from what im reading in the main post is that there are a lot more "fairytale" tropes. my curiosity is leaning now to what character was NOT used.

also Nexus is fairly new, maybe there aren't very many people here yet or something. and my apologies as I didn't answer your question even now haha

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I'm just gonna move this to lore since it's a better fit there

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
We are also been told nursery rhythms, talking animals and the modern fairy tales of Oz, Neverland and Wonderland wouldn't be used
referring to the part in bold. Ah, that's sad.. :(
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
id watch out for eldraine. magic will definitely (probably I mean I really don't know) come back. this is lowryn 2.0, the reason we wont go back to lowryn (in my mind) is lame. now "lowryn" has humans so that's fixed.
Maro has said reply that Eldraine isn't fixed Lorwyn and don't fight at all for space. Lorwyn is light/shadow world with celtic mythology dressing. Eldraine is Arthurian legends and Grimm Fairy tales.
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
referring to the part in bold. Ah, that's sad.. :(
Si and I'm not full on board though Eldraine animals are somewhat smarter so a duck can get you a key to get out of the cell but doesn't wear clothing or talk which is a nice compromise.

We also did get Keeper of Fables so thats a new kitty friend :D

EDIT: Updated the thread I had started.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

getting one cat does make it not so bad. Added one of the big green kitty on one of my scg orders. :)

Although I do hope we get more cats from the next sets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”