The DCC - December 3rd, 2022

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Please take note of this if you haven't already:
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Next host is @bravelion83, whose thread posting timing I am unsure about, but will be either around this time or several hours later and will only affect December 3rd and January 2nd. I'd also like to welcome back some past DCC participants who are rejoining the contest for the first time in a while.
I also like very much to see several returning players and I welcome back all of them!

The thread posting time will stay the same this month too, which is right about the time of this post. Consider the default to be 6 am for me (CEST), which is midnight Eastern and 9 pm of the previous day Pacific. If I checked time zones correctly, it should also be 2 pm in Japan and 1 to 4 pm in Australia depending on where you live in the country. I should be able to host every day this month, including Christmas day and New Year's Day. Should I have any problems with that, but I don't think so at the moment, I'll give advanced notice.
Also, I forgot to thank everybody for all the votes yesterday. Winning the day with a +9 is huge, so thank you all.

DCC Scoreboard

Surging Chaos 7 (+7)
Ink-Treader 4 (+4)
bravelion83 3 (+3)
netn10 3 (+3)
emily 2 (+2)
Rithaniel 2 (+2)
marioguy3 1 (+1)

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: Surging Chaos, netn10

HM: Rithaniel

Enraging Mockery RG
Instant (U)
Rewind R (You may cast this spell for its rewind cost. If you do, all targets must be the same and you perform the listed actions in reverse order while resolving this spell. This is not a modal spell.)
• Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
• Enraging Mockery deals 1 damage to target creature.
"What's all this fuss about this damned box you want to get out of? That only enrages me!"
wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
emily, bravelion83
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10, Ink-Treader

Gruul-Pained Elf
Creature - Elf (Uncommon)
Whenever you tap a creature for mana, if that creature's power is one, Gruul-Pained Elf deals 1 damage to each player.
: Add
1/2
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: Rithaniel, Surging Chaos (Welcome back!)

Make Sense U
Instant (Un-Uncommon)
Put a name sticker or an art sticker on target creature you control. Then, a person outside the game put two +1/+1 counters, a flying counter or a vigilance counter on that creature based on what the sticker is.
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, Ink-Treader

Hey everyone, thanks for voting for my cards throughout November. I had fun, and am glad you liked what I put out.

Also, I really was bouncing around to different ideas throughout November. I even made a phantom card at one point. It was fun.

Choice of Failures
Sorcery U
Destroy target creature or planeswalker unless its controller sacrifices an artifact, enchantment, or land.
, Discard Choice of Failures: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays .
"Choosing between bad options is never any fun."
—Hklanna Rone, the Dishonorable
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Vote: Rithaniel, Surging Chaos

Containment Protocol 1WW
Enchantment (U)
When Containment Protocol enters the battlefield or integrates, exile target nonland permanent until Containment Protocol or the integrated permanent leaves the battlefield.
Integrate 2WW (2WW, Exile this from your graveyard: Target creature you control gains this card's abilities. Integrate as a sorcery)
"Make sure you lock that in securely."
-Zand, warden of Artezia
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: SurgingChaos, emily
Hold the Hourglass - XU
Instant. {R}
Target spell with mana value X phases out until its controller casts a spell with equal or greater mana value.
Surging Chaos wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: marioguy3, Ink-Treader

HM: RattingRots (would have likely voted for it if the ETB was a rummaging effect; looting is more of a blue effect)

Crime Scene
Land (R)
As Crime Scene enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. They investigate.
T: Add W or B.
RattingRots wrote:
1 year ago
bravelion83, Surging Chaos

Petrification 1G
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a player casts a spell, sacrifice ~. If you do, each of that player's opponents searches their library for two basic land cards and puts them onto the battlefield.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10 (surely that should say "ruff situation" though), Ink-Treader

Sunmask Recruiter 4R
Creature - Goblin Soldier (R)
Flying, double strike
When Sunmask Recruiter enters the battlefield or dies, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token, then you add WW. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps or phases end.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Votes: bravelion83, netn10

Heat of Unreality 1RR
Instant (U)
Choose one -
• Heat of Unreality deals 2 damage to each creature that isn't an Illusion, Nightmare, or Shapeshifter.
• Copy target red spell you control. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

mariguy3, OneAndOnly

Aether Postern XU
Instant (U)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays X.
Target player shuffles up to one target card from their graveyard into their library.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Votes: Rithaniel, Surging Chaos
Honorable mentions
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly - Phasing only works on permanents and not spells, I've just checked in the CR specifically because of your card. Of course, you could always change the CR, that happens every set, but currently it's not supported. I like the idea though, and if I were them I'd probably try to find a way to support it in the rules. I also appreciate a lot that you put a rarity in your submission, you know how much I care about that because we've already talked about it. No need to do it again now.

marioguy3 - I like the design a lot, but there are two templating/formatting mistakes and that was the tiebreaker against the two cards I voted for. A creature's power is written using numerals and not number words (it should be "...if that creature's power is 1..."), and a period is missing at the end of the activated mana ability. That's all. I'm sorry.
Scrap Selection 3UB
Sorcery (R)
Rewind 2R (You may cast this spell for its rewind cost. If you do, all targets must be the same and you perform the listed actions in reverse order while resolving this spell. This is not a modal spell.)
• Target player draws two cards.
• Target player discards two cards.
"So, what should I do first? Check which pieces are still working, or dispose of those that merely look broken?"
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Votes: Surging Chaos, Ink-Treader

Channelmarker of Chaos
Creature - Elemental Wizard (Uncommon)
Haste
Whenever an ability of a plane card causes you to sacrifice a permanent or discard a card, create a 2/1 red Elemental creature token.
3/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

Surging Chaos, void_nothing

Flame Imperishable 1R
Instant (U)
This spell can't be countered.
Add RRR. If you spend this mana to cast any spells, those spells can't be countered.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Votes: bravelion83, void_nothing

Scam B
Sorcery (Rare)
Look at target opponent's hand and choose a nonland card from it. Then, search your library for a card with the same mana value. If you do, exile both and that opponent may cast your card and spend any color of mana to cast it.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Vote: Surging Chaos, void_nothing

Parhelion Huntcaller 3RR
Creature - Viashino Ranger (U)
Reach, first strike
When Parhelion Huntcaller enters the battlefield, create two colorless 2/1 Elemental Dog creature tokens with first strike.
"The sun lays bare our prey."
2/1

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Votes: Ink-Treader, void_nothing

Telze, the Lotus Tender
Legendary Creature - Artificer R
Whenever you sacrifice an artifact, put a petal counter on Telze.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove two petal counters from Telze. If you do, create a tapped Lotus token (It is an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add three mana of any one color.")
2/3
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Votes: bravelion83, SurgingChaos
Osterok Champion -- 1RW
Creature - Satyr Warrior
Osterok Champion enters the battlefield with a haste counter.
At the end of each turn, each counter on Osterok Champion becomes a +1/+1 counter.
2/2

Surging Chaos

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

Votes: marioguy3, OneAndOnly

Torrential Torpidity U
Instant (C)
Target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn. If that creature's power would become 0 or less, return that creature to its owner's hand.
Flashback 2UU
You can't just tire out a Keldon warrior. You have to make it lose its will to exist outright.
September 2022 DCC Winner

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Votes - Rithaniel, RattingRots

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”