The Community Deck Build Project v5.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I don't think 3 cmc rocks are where we are at. Othere cards I can vote on are all easy yesses.
I am nominating Yahenni, Undying Partisan. Sac outlet that grows when we kill creatures, that survives wraths. I think this fits our deck nicely and we need free sac outlets to enable our loops.

This is what I will say about the Ox - we have no fetches. We have no self mill. we have little discard. So it is mostly a 5 mana 4/2 that has a draw ETB that is not always working for us. When we do have a chance to recur it in the late game, it could be good - but would it be better than recurring all those phoenixes we would otherwise be exiling?

Ox of Agonas 2 yea, 1 nay
Gravebreaker Lamia 2 yea, 1 nay
Supernatural Stamina 3 yea, 0 nay
Relic of Legends 0 yea, 3 nay
Razorlash Transmogrant 1 yea, 0 nay
Goblin Bombardment 2 yea, 0 nay
Cultivator's Caravan yay - 0 nay - 1
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Maybe I am missing a synergy, but I don't see the appeal of Cultivator's Caravan. It looks like an occasional extra creature from a mana rock. I will vote nay there.

I think the noted extreme card cost on the escape for the Ox is a good point. I will commit to nay on Ox of Agonas.

I would like a bit more of a reason.to vote either way on Razorlash Transmogrant. As it stands, I am not convinced that the cost reduction in it is realistic in the average game, but I don't want to vote only.based on my local group.

Yahenni, Undying Partisan is a solid, self protecting sacrifice outlet. That's a yea from me.

My nomination today is one that came to mind as either/both a sacrifice outlet and 'skeleton' type enabler: Tymaret, the Murder King. Low MV, cheap mana cost to trigger commander, and a sacrifice outlet and damage source in play. He is very sacrifice heavy, so needing enough fodder and ability costs would be the downsides. I think the multifunctional use here is the selling point.

Ox of Agonas 2 yea, 2 nay
Razorlash Transmogrant (pending) 1 yea, 0 nay
Goblin Bombardment 2 yea, 0 nay
Cultivator's Caravan 0 yea, 2 nay
Yahenni, Undying Partisan 1 yea, 0 nay
Tymaret, the Murder King 0 yea, 0 nay

Jeez this list is long, especially since it's 9 cards and we only have 15 slots left.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

The theory on the Ox is it's self-fulfilling. You cast it the first time then by the time you want to escape it, it's already set itself up, and then future iterations (how many times do you need a repeatable draw3?) are partially self-fulfilling. Getting to draw3 for two is pretty good as is, but that it also fuels grave strats while setting the table for the next use-case makes for a nice single piece engine card. Plus it comes with a 5/3 which eventually has to be dealt with, you can't just take five every turn after all. The idea is you feed it's escape with spent removal and the MIR fetchlands that are in the deck. After all not everything that touches the yard is something we care about getting back, once it's binned that's just another resource we can turn into something else. Overall, I think mechanics like this and delve gets a bit of unfair flack because of this FOMO "well what if I need that?" feeling, but you know what they say; if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's ass when it hops. For the most part, cards in graveyards are just cards. We see this same recoil with mill, players shy away or find some ill-conceived hatred of mill because of this theory when in reality, cards in the deck aren't anything until you'd draw them, you didn't lose anything while the mill player is spending resources to not affect the board or your hand. There's no guarantee you'd even have saw the milled cards anyway, let alone resolved it or watched it do something meaningful. Just my own two cents. If the community truly wants to gut the Ox, I'll relent, but I do feel this is an aspect not often thought about.

Yay for bombardment and nay for Caravan (sorry Lish). Yay for Yahenni and Tymaret. I don't see the appeal in razorlash over a myriad of other options. I originally read it as four nonbasics and that's trivial but it's controlled by one person? And the payoff isn't exactly stellar in the first place? I think I'd much rather use Nether Traitor in that spot, speaking of conditional skelies.

I'm nervous of the lack of instants in this deck and I think we need to have answers when our dumb bird doesn't get to stick on the board. At the minimum, this looks like at least Infernal Grasp should make the cut, but likely more I think. We also don't have much in the way of draw and tutours so how's that working for us? Grasp is my nomination for today.

Goblin Bombardment 3 yea, 0 nay
Cultivator's Caravan 0 yea, 3 nay

Razorlash Transmogrant (pending) 1 yea, 0 nay
Yahenni, Undying Partisan 2 yea, 0 nay
Tymaret, the Murder King 1 yea, 0 nay
Infernal Grasp yay - 0 nay - 0

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Isn't Razorlash good because it can be done on opponent's turns? Would Scrapheap Scrounger be better?

Honestly Ox is one of those cards that would need to be tested in this deck. Is it better than Grim Haruspex for card draw in this deck? I know Ox is generally good, but so far the deck has 12 non-permanent cards. Getting to 8 cards in the yard feels like it will be harder than we would like.
Again though, that's something we would really need to play with to see how it runs.

I will vote on Tymaret and Grasp tomorrow. I also have an instant to suggest.

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Isn't Razorlash good because it can be done on opponent's turns? Would Scrapheap Scrounger be better?
Just about strictly so. You get +1 toughness, same mv, and even in razorlash' best case, it's still worse to recur as BB vs 1B though of course not strictly so because exiling a body from the yard is a real cost vs sometimes costing six which is unplayable. I think Tymaret easily blows them both away in terms of usability.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Just about strictly so. You get +1 toughness, same mv, and even in razorlash' best case, it's still worse to recur as BB vs 1B though of course not strictly so because exiling a body from the yard is a real cost vs sometimes costing six which is unplayable. I think Tymaret easily blows them both away in terms of usability.
I thought about him, i think you're underselling the exile requirement, when over half of our creatures don't want to be exiled and even the ones that dont self recur, we could still leave them in the yard for Phyrexian Reclamation/Tortured Existence.

I agree that ty is better than both
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

You know what I like that's great with a tribe that dies and comes back? Plumb the Forbidden. Let's make that my card today!

I'm also going to yay Infernal Grasp, Tymaret, and Yahenni and then nay the razorlash.

Razorlash Transmogrant 1 yea, 1 nay
Yahenni, Undying Partisan 3 yea, 0 nay
Tymaret, the Murder King 2 yea, 0 nay
Infernal Grasp yay - 1 nay - 0
Plumb the Forbidden yay - 0 nay - 0

3drinks

I'm gonna make an executive decision here to move this along and clear up some of the gridlock. Also, yay for Plumb the Forbidden, this card is truly fantastic. In a similar vein as this, I'm going to throw Deadly Dispute into the mix.

Once this deck is compleate, I think I'm going to revisit this activity after the new year.

Yahenni, Undying Partisan 3 yea, 0 nay
Tymaret, the Murder King 2 yea, 0 nay
Infernal Grasp yay - 1 nay - 0

Razorlash Transmogrant 1 yea, 1 nay

Plumb the Forbidden yay - 1 nay - 0
Deadly Dispute yay - 0 nay - 0

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'll yay deadly dispute! For today I want to submit Mask of Memory, since it's really good at putting phoenixes into the graveyard 😎

Deadly Dispute yay - 1 nay - 0
Mask of Memory yay - 0 nay - 0

3drinks

Mask of Memory is an easy yay from me. Oh, that new skullclamp from brothers' war. Transmogrant's Crown,

Deadly Dispute yay - 1 nay - 0
Mask of Memory yay - 1 nay - 0
Transmogrant's Crown yay - 0 nay - 0

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Yea Plumb the Forbidden and Deadly Dispute card draw from sacrifice works well here, at low MV.
Equipment that triggers on combat damage is a bit cumbersome with creatures that recur at the start of combat, so I am not sold on Mask of Memory yet. I will nay.
Yea Transmogrant's Crown for adding power and offering draw.

There was some concern earlier about not having removal/interaction. I nominate Bone Shards as it costs things that we want to do anyway. I think it fits here better than the other similar cards like Spark Harvest (discard) or Mutual Destruction (no flash).

Plumb the Forbidden 2 yea, 0 nay
Deadly duspute 2 Yea, 0 nay
Mask of Memory 1 yea, 1 nay
Transmogrant's Crown 1 yea, 0 nay
Bone Shards 0 yea, 0 nay
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

Eaten Alive is better than Bone Shards, no?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I agree that as removal Eaten Alive is more final. I mostly liked the option to be a discard outlet to help set up our graveyard.
Commander Decks

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I think bone shards is very serviceable. I agree that hitting two different card types and exiling is better, but there's no reason shards isn't very sufficient. Yay. I'll also yay clamp #2!

For today's card since we have the exoskeleton, I think it's reasonable we have Glistening Oil too.

Plumb the Forbidden 2 yea, 0 nay
Deadly duspute 2 Yea, 0 nay
Mask of Memory 1 yea, 1 nay
Transmogrant's Crown 2 yea, 0 nay
Bone Shards 1 yea, 0 nay
Glistening Oil yay - 0 nay - 0

Dunharrow

Should we discuss what went wrong with this thread? Why did people drop off?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Imo, it's not any one person's fault. I think this game and threads like it would be more viable if there were some kind of automatic poll that recorded suggestions, tallied votes, and compiled a decklist from the results. As it stands though, the players have to go through 3drinks to get anything done which is ultimately a huge unfair time/attention sink for 3drinks and also annoying for anyone who wants to participate without engaging in an endless debate about whether or not Arcum's Astrolabe is a format-warping staple.

Basically, it's a nice idea, but a logistics nightmare.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I assumed it was he holiday, but once we couldn't sustain the requisite three votes to confirm cards, it didn't seem prudent to continue with just Lish and I, when we could just wax philosophically about it at work :P

I also think mechanically speaking we allowed ourselves to get too lax and spoiled with rerolls and that got away from the idea of the exercise. It no longer became a random community build and instead became just a good deck with good cards with a couple high debate point cards every cycle. The Livaan/Cultist deck remains the best iteration of the activity because it's just "what we got" and had to build it to be it's best. Despite mechanically speaking, that deck not being particularly powerful by comparison to other decks I think.

Further, I do think the clash of philosophies contributed to driving a wedge between players and thus sucked the fun out. No one wants to open this into an argument, and the cards one is suggesting flew in the face of the other cards others wanted. We had this weird amalgamation of a average deck with a mix of average cards, bad cards, and powerful cards but not the stress level to handle the arguments. I could write a book (or, perhaps a shortened abbreviated novel) about the differences in opinion that led to conflicting card submissions pulling on the deck in too many ways. I take responsibility for that, chiefly as it's my own arguments for Arcum's Astrolabe belonging or not belonging in every deck ever running against the grain of others "not wanting to play the same cards", whatever weight that metric happens to carry or not. While I respect not everyone wants to play it, I still don't understand why you wouldn't, mechanically speaking for a near zero opportunity cost in building. ...Not going to continue that, lest the same discussion flare up again - I think everyone has made their points very clear, and no one is going to budge on them.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Further, I do think the clash of philosophies contributed to driving a wedge between players and thus sucked the fun out. No one wants to open this into an argument, and the cards one is suggesting flew in the face of the other cards others wanted. We had this weird amalgamation of a average deck with a mix of average cards, bad cards, and powerful cards but not the stress level to handle the arguments. I could write a book (or, perhaps a shortened abbreviated novel) about the differences in opinion that led to conflicting card submissions pulling on the deck in too many ways.
Definitely part of it. It's of course why I dropped off very early in the process. Seemed like everyone else wanted to go a completely different direction from me, so I figured there was no point when I'd just end up either pulling the deck off-course or getting all my submissions rejected.

I also agree with the bit about rerolls. I think what was most interesting about Livaan, Cultist of the Absolute was definitely the mechanical challenge of figuring out how to make that absolutely bizarre thing work. Same goes for Lulu, Haunted One. I don't even think we need the initial three to pick from, because I would like to suggest, further, that we could do something similar even with vanilla Legends legends, if we are willing to go with type-based, art-based, and flavor-based themes, which could create more interesting deckbuilding challenges. And after all, that's the idea, right? So if you roll Tobias Andrion, why not roll with it and see if he can lead U/W Advisor Tribal? That would probably be a more interesting deckbuilding puzzle for the forum to work on than just rerolling until we get something that's just good. And if we get something that's too obvious, generic, or strong, we can add additional challenges and limitations to reinstate the puzzle element of all this, instead of just picking something else. "This is going to be hard to build" should be a reason to think we've got a good one on our hands, rather than a disqualification.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

This commander does absolutely nothing for me. I was ready to do that five color dragon, but came back two days later to see that it had changed to the phoenix. These have mostly been a lot of fun, but between the ho-hum commander and the random, out-of-nowhere salt, I decided to sit this one out.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Very well noted. I'll take all these into account when I relaunch after the holidays.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I dropped off a couple of builds ago when I saw that a direction I wanted to take a build wasn't what anyone else wanted, so rather than beat my head against a wall and piss everyone off I just let it be.

Since then I have kept an eye on these but haven't seen any commanders I've interested in working with. Plus RL is hella busy, work and life and balance thereof, yada yada.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Can I also suggest that we go back to the way we build deck 4? some of us are too busy to log in every day... so if we log in after 3 days and see that everybody has made 3 submissions since then and the deck is wildly different from when you last logged in, it is not very motivating to take part.

3drinks

The one card/day system?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
The one card/day system?
Weren't you naming 2 people to nominate cards and we would discuss them and vote and then the next day we would repeat?

Though some people weren't getting named and were frustrated

I don't know what is best. I just think round 5 was too fast for me. I don't see the rush, personally. What if we can each nominate a card on Monday and then no more nominations until Thursday or something like that?
Then people have 3 days to weigh in on the nominated cards.

If 3 people are really into the deck and very active on the board they end up making half the deck. I think it would be nice if every voice mattered, not just those who are on the forum every day.

3drinks

I see that, and yeah the next deck did go by quick. It was an every night thing for me to come in from work, audit votes, and update stuff. I know I appreciated the more meaningful discussion we were generating but I get that people want to go go go, such is the way of the internet.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”