NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
commence argument about whether this token can be created by nonred cards.
Were Blood tokens in black (and, yeah, one time in white) that controversial?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

I kind of want to make that set now lol
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Grimdark Christmas? It sounds like a prank set announcement MiseTings would have posted in 2003. By that I mean it's an unironic good idea
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
commence argument about whether this token can be created by nonred cards.
Were Blood tokens in black (and, yeah, one time in white) that controversial?
I suppose not? Nor were clues in Green, etc. Though, looking into it, I don't see that impulsive draw is any more or less red than rummaging (blood). So it might be fair game then.
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My perspective is that Clues in every color are readily glossed over because they usually function as a delayed cantrip, punting the traditional 2ish cost for self-replacement down the line. So if "sacrifice this artifact: draw" is fine wherever, so is something that's directly worse than drawing a card. Although I suppose a Clue variant where you paid life instead of mana would be looked at askance outside black.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Exalter of Blood 1BR
Creature - Orc Wizard (R)
Deathtouch
6BR: Create a 3/6 black and red Avatar creature token with haste and "Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 3 damage to each opponent." This ability costs 2 less to activate for each creature that died this turn. Activate this only once each turn.
"I fear we'll never win this war if we can't find a way to counter such vile magic."
-Avel, kor general

2/4

IIW: Undead

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Cheerbringer won! But it wasn't my Cheerbringer.

Mergatroid_Jones

Village Unity XXW
Sorcery
Create X 1/1 white Townsfolk creature tokens.
Distribute X +1/+1 counters among any number of target creatures.
Gain X life.
Before the vampires, Innistrad had no hierarchy beyond the mayor.

IIW: An onomatopoeia

Megiddo
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Cheerbringer won! But it wasn't my Cheerbringer.
oh, jeeze, sorry. I definitely though that was an original name but my subconscious must have planted it after seeing yours.
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

The forming of the Temur 1GUR
Enchantment - Saga
| - Create a 2/2 green human warrior creature token
|| - Put 2 +1/+1 counters on target creature you control
||| - Draw a card for each creature you control with power 4 or greater. When you do, this Saga deals 5 damage to any target if you drew 2 or more cards this way.

Atarka, fledgling 2RG
Legendary Creature - Dragon
flying, trample
gr: Atarka, fledgling gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If this is the fourth time this ability has resolved this turn, Atarka gains double strike until end of turn.
3/3

IIW: Make attacking and blocking relevant interaction again

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Junkyard Skaab BB
Artifact Creature — Zombie (U)
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
Junkyard Skaab enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if an artifact land was discarded to cast it.
"Carburetor, carburetor, carburetor...I can't fix this skaab without a spark plug!"
—Ivica, Cecani Body Shop apprentice

2/2

IIW: Your favorite mythic reimagined as an uncommon
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Outistrad Invader 2B
Creature - Elf Noble (C)
Pledge 1B (1B: If it's the end step, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Activate only once.)
When Outistrad Invader dies, if it pledged, you lose 1 life and draw a card.
2/2

I tinkered a lot with this one. Imagine a trigger "When this dies, you may pay 1B. If you do, lose 1 life and draw a card." as a counterpart of kicker and other mana-required triggers. Since you'd need the mana at the precise moment the creature dies, there would be plenty of feel-bad moments. So, with pledge, you can pay anytime before the creature dies. Due to memory issues, and as a extra bonus, you get a +1/+1 incidental counter. But I don't want a combat surprise (another feel bad trap) so you only get the counter pledging on an end step... which is 100% when you'd pledge anyways, unless you are doing it because the creature would die.
Phew.

On flavor, Outistrad is the faery realm of Innistrad, where the Nobles came from, but were cut out at great cost. I just copied discworld.

IIW: flood

Megiddo
MEG

i will be attending PAX UNPLUGGED all weekend and will find some amount of time to judge somewherre tomorrow (not now i'm deep into some soju)
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

The most difficult part is making a card worthy of the name, doing it justice while still fitting it into a card. I can only hope I achieved a modicum of success.

Auntie Grub
1{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman (M)
Menace, haste
When Auntie Grub enters the battlefield, you may search your library and/or cards you own in exile for a Goblin card, then put it into your graveyard. If you searched your library this way, shuffle.
Once during each turn, you may cast a Goblin spell from your graveyard.
2/2
=================
A Tale of Auntie Grub
{B}{R}
Tribal Sorcery - Goblin Adventure
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

IIW: Runeclaw Bear (ie 2 MV/CMC vanilla 2/2 creature) for blue.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

The First Tempest 3RRR
Legendary Enchantment (MR)
When The First Tempest enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature without flying.
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"Korg, what was that noise?"

IIW: ELDEN RING

Megiddo
MEG

Mystery Judging: Convention Edition!
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Exalter of Blood 1BR
Creature - Orc Wizard (R)
Deathtouch
6BR: Create a 3/6 black and red Avatar creature token with haste and "Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 3 damage to each opponent." This ability costs 2 less to activate for each creature that died this turn. Activate this only once each turn.
"I fear we'll never win this war if we can't find a way to counter such vile magic."
-Avel, kor general

2/4

IIW: Undead
Arcavios! I personally want to attack with seven avatars and take my opponent from 20 to 0 in one shot.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Village Unity XXW
Sorcery
Create X 1/1 white Townsfolk creature tokens.
Distribute X +1/+1 counters among any number of target creatures.
Gain X life.
Before the vampires, Innistrad had no hierarchy beyond the mayor.

IIW: An onomatopoeia
Innistrad! Can't buff the tokens but that's fine.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
The forming of the Temur 1GUR
Enchantment - Saga
| - Create a 2/2 green human warrior creature token
|| - Put 2 +1/+1 counters on target creature you control
||| - Draw a card for each creature you control with power 4 or greater. When you do, this Saga deals 5 damage to any target if you drew 2 or more cards this way.

Atarka, fledgling 2RG
Legendary Creature - Dragon
flying, trample
gr: Atarka, fledgling gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If this is the fourth time this ability has resolved this turn, Atarka gains double strike until end of turn.
3/3

IIW: Make attacking and blocking relevant interaction again
I think this one is also cheating since we had Fate Reforged, but I didn't rule it out, so fair play. I like the baby dragon (though i think the dragons in Tarkir were born fully formed from the dragon storms?)
Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
Junkyard Skaab BB
Artifact Creature — Zombie (U)
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
Junkyard Skaab enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if an artifact land was discarded to cast it.
"Carburetor, carburetor, carburetor...I can't fix this skaab without a spark plug!"
—Ivica, Cecani Body Shop apprentice

2/2

IIW: Your favorite mythic reimagined as an uncommon
Innistrad again! Future I think. I like the set this card is trying to sell me.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Outistrad Invader 2B
Creature - Elf Noble (C)
Pledge 1B (1B: If it's the end step, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Activate only once.)
When Outistrad Invader dies, if it pledged, you lose 1 life and draw a card.
2/2

I tinkered a lot with this one. Imagine a trigger "When this dies, you may pay 1B. If you do, lose 1 life and draw a card." as a counterpart of kicker and other mana-required triggers. Since you'd need the mana at the precise moment the creature dies, there would be plenty of feel-bad moments. So, with pledge, you can pay anytime before the creature dies. Due to memory issues, and as a extra bonus, you get a +1/+1 incidental counter. But I don't want a combat surprise (another feel bad trap) so you only get the counter pledging on an end step... which is 100% when you'd pledge anyways, unless you are doing it because the creature would die.
Phew.

On flavor, Outistrad is the faery realm of Innistrad, where the Nobles came from, but were cut out at great cost. I just copied discworld.

IIW: flood
I sadly don't know discworld. Your logic is sound for Pledge but I think it reads/feels like a bad Monstrosity rather than what you wanted. Worth trying to tweak with wording/timing.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
The most difficult part is making a card worthy of the name, doing it justice while still fitting it into a card. I can only hope I achieved a modicum of success.

Auntie Grub
1{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman (M)
Menace, haste
When Auntie Grub enters the battlefield, you may search your library and/or cards you own in exile for a Goblin card, then put it into your graveyard. If you searched your library this way, shuffle.
Once during each turn, you may cast a Goblin spell from your graveyard.
2/2
=================
A Tale of Auntie Grub
{B}{R}
Tribal Sorcery - Goblin Adventure
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

Loving adventure on Lorwyn. good synergy with the exile retrieval.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
The First Tempest 3RRR
Legendary Enchantment (MR)
When The First Tempest enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature without flying.
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"Korg, what was that noise?"

is this also tarkir? This is Battlefield Domination: The Card. Appropriately costed!

Winner: Cythare
Next: Your favorite mythic reimagined as an uncommon
MEG

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Parboil -- 1R
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant land
Whenever enchanted island is tapped for mana, you may add an equal amount of R. If enchanted land is an Island or Plains, Parboil deals one damage to its controller.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I was surprised to learn Boil, Choke, and other early color-hate cards were assigned mythic status in Amonkhet -- but, then again, I wouldn't want them to be more available. I always liked the theme that certain colors worked very well against others, but early sets overplayed this antipathy -- Flashfires can be monstrous against a mono-white deck, and utterly useless if a deck doesn't have Plains in it.

I like the "soft" drawback of adding mana; it's often going to be a minimal drawback, since you might not be in a position to use the mana. The one damage is minimal, and only a drawback in the very early and very late game states.
If I Win: Answers
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Juancu

Ur-Dragon Egg 2
Legendary Creature - Dragon Egg (U)
T: Add one mana of any color.
Eminence - If Ur-Dragon Egg is your commander, rather than cast it from the command zone, exchange it with a dragon creature card from your hand. If you do, that card becomes your sole commander. If it isn't all colors, its mana cost becomes UWRGB in all zones.
0/2

IIW: shh, listen!
Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Flowertender
1{G}
Creature - Elemental (U)
When Flowertender enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on a Plant creature you control.
1/1

Yarok's Flowerpicker
{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Elemental Horror (U)
Whenever Yarok's Flowerpicker or another nontoken permanent enters the battlefield under your control, choose one you haven't chosen this turn-
-Each opponent loses 1 life.
-Create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
-Draw a card.
3/2

Two dragons birds, one stone:

Nicol, the Last Fallen
1{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (U)
Partner with Ugin, the Last Fallen
Flying, trample
Whenever another Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, target player discards a card.
3/3

Ugin, the Last Fallen
1{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (U)
Partner with Nicol, the Last Fallen
Flying, haste
Whenever another Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
2/4

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Selvala, Soul of the Wilds 2GG
Legendary Creature — Elf Scout (U)
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player draws a card if they control a creature with the greatest power or tied for the greatest among creatures on the battlefield.
: Add GG. Add an additional if you control a creature with power 3 or greater, an additional if you control a creature with power 6 or greater, and an additional if you control a creature with power 9 or greater.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
2/2

Mergatroid_Jones

Lorthos the Tidemaker 5UUU
Legendary Creature- Octopus (U)
Whenever Lorthos, the Tidemaker attacks, you may pay 8. If you do, tap up to eight target permanents. Those permanents don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps.
When Lorthos emerges from his deepwater realm, the tides bow to his will and the coastline cowers in his presence.
8/8
non-troll entry
Show
Hide
Kess of Grixis BRU
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard (U)
Flying
When Kess enters the battlefield, exile up to one noncreature, nonland card from your graveyard. During any of your following turns, you may play that card from exile.
2/3
IIW: Your favorite uncommon reimagined as a mythic

Juancu

Guards! Guards! 👇
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
I sadly don't know discworld.
Sadly, but from another point of view, happily. I'm envious of people who have yet to read Guards! Guards! (a recommended entry point, and one of my favorite rereads.)

Sporegorger_Dragon

@Megiddo I think you'll have to do it, Cythare was last online in 3 days ago and I think he doesn't know he's won.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
@Megiddo I think you'll have to do it, Cythare was last online in 3 days ago and I think he doesn't know he's won.
Nah I'll ping him.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Solar Giant 4WW
Creature - Giant (U)
Vigilance
Whenever Solar Giant enters the battlefield or attacks, you may return target permanent card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3

IIW: Powerful Uncommons
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”