[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Sunday, November 27th, 2022; The Ramos Cycle

...Why is the Eye $2 when Heart is the one with a pro deck print? during it's time, it was a key component of Kai Budde's Wildfire deck (because of it's ramp effect). I guess these have been crept out, but not strictly so I think since you can generate 2 for the 3 they cost for a net loss of 1 the turn you play them. Idk, I don't imagine they're terrible still (Coalition Relic can't even completely do what they do).

Or I'm just nostalgic to Kai's deck because Wildfire was what helped shape me into the player I am today.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Decent rocks for your meme Rarity deck.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

There may be some niche use case for these cards, but I'm not seeing it. I guess Second Sunrise? There aren't that many cards that sacrifice for mana, and recurring an Eye of Ramos even once yields +1 mana, with it only getting better from there. I'd probably lean towards a more traditional Krark-Clan Ironworks engine though, since it lets you play artifacts that are actually useful.

Beyond combo nonsense and treating these as an actual mana rock, I'd lean towards Worn Powerstone / Coalition Relic instead. Those don't produce two mana the turn you play them, but playing a mana rock and immediately sacrificing it seems pretty underwhelming anyway. Alternatively, Commander's Sphere exists.

Obligatory Ramos, Dragon Engine shout-out.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Fun nostalgia cards. Even in my one deck that values sacrificing anything on-demand (Juri, Master of the Revue), I cut them for cards that produce more treasures. I still have Commander's Sphere in it, but it's on the short list.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

They've got nice art, but I think they've just aged out of the format.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

By your powers combined, I am Ramos, Dragon Engine

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
Decent rocks for your meme Rarity deck.
I wanna run her with my Rainbow Dash plushy
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

They're only marginally underpowered IMHO, at least depending on what you want to do with them. That means that if you like them, you can totally get away with playing them. They're not best-in-class anywhere anymore, though. On power level alone, they're all just barely edged out of basically everything, I'd say. Still neat cards with neat art, though. I play all 5 in my Ramos Lucky Charms list purely for flavor reasons, alongside Henge of Ramos, and I have the Tooth in Darien soldier tribal just because I like the card enough to be willing to run with a sup-optimal rock that still lets me cast Darien 2 turns early.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

ukkuhrmakhai

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

By your powers combined, I am Ramos, Dragon Engine
By your powers combined, I am one mana short of Ramos, Dragon Engine

We need a colorless Rest of Ramos to complete Ramos.

I can't believe there isn't a deck that wants a self sacrificing artifact that generates mana but some kind of eggs deck is the only one I can think of. None of the artifact commanders are big on recurring small artifacts or trigger off an artifact sacrificing itself. Of the sacrifice matters commanders, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King is the only one I can think of that would get any value out of them sacrificing themselves.

I could see them being played if there was a commander who could recur them easily or if there was a commander who liked artifacts going to the graveyard without being a sac outlet themselves. As it stands though their main use is to get people to think you are tapped out and walk into the one mana counter.

3drinks

Monday, November 28th, 2022; Life of the Party

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Monday, November 28th, 2022; Life of the Party

This guy should definetely have been in my Thantis, the Warweaver deck.
There's actually a lot of cards I've found that should be in that deck, maybe I'll resurrect it someday.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

It looks like a fun card, but I have not gotten to try it in the Cabaretti precon that I am playing as-is. Giving opponents resources can be dangerous, but I still think this is an interesting card for an aggro deck. Having first strike makes it much better, and the tokens can't kill each other since they block with 0 power. Clever.

3drinks

Tuesday, November 29th, 2022; Razia's Purification

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Unless they only have three permanents this will be more miss than hit and a high cost
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Unless they only have three permanents this will be more miss than hit and a high cost
If opps only have three permanents it'll be all miss. :teach:
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

In between Blasphemous Act, Cleansing Nova, Austere Command, Tragic Arrogance, Winds of Abandon, Farewell, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, ect. It's hard to put this card above those.

Also, Boros is generally the color of aggro. The other colors are more likely to have scary permanents like The Great Henge and Omniscience. Unless you're also playing those colors, then I guess it could work but then you'd have more cards competing with RP.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

PrimevalCommander

Some of the best art for a wipe effect. Unfortunately it is very difficult to capitalize on only 3 permanents. If it was 5-6 I would expect it to see a bit more play since you could get a winning possition from that number of permanents. Or just keep 6 lands that tap for 2+ each and get a leg up in mana on the table. White's catch-up ramp would work well with this.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

This card is a nuke. It looks like a nuke and wraths like a nuke. Super high cool quotient, very low playability given its sheer extremity.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

When I have seen Razia's Purification, it's mostly Jeskai decks (and likely storm combo of some kind) and almost exclusively with Phasing to avoid at least some of the sacrifice. Niche Johnny Wipe that tends to feel bad because it rarely closest out quickly after resolving. . .
V/R

Treamayne

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

This card is very strong, but it has a few big problems.

1) most people don't want to play MLD
2) the people that do usually want it for cheaper
3) trying to have 3 permanents sufficiently stronger than the rest of the table's 3 permanents to close out the game is difficult - if you have 10 creatures while everyone else has 2, it's easy to get ahead with geddon. When you have to concentrate your lead into just 3 cards, it's a lot harder. Especially if you're trying to calculate for potential removal.
4) RW isn't that popular and isn't amazing at having high-impact permanents

Making this reduce to 5 or 6 would make it significantly weaker overall (though it might get played more by virtue of being "nicer"). The better version of this card already exists - Cataclysm. It costs less, it's less color restrictive, and it cuts opponents off of mana more effectively (so you don't risk keeping 3 bomb creatures into an enemy going "4th land, board wipe" like with Razia).
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

PrimevalCommander

Does Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero play this and Cataclysm to get an asymmetrical wipe? Or is it still too mean? Looks like a good wincon, but still vulnerable to a timely spot removal. Maybe not the best for that.

ukkuhrmakhai

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

This is held back by its colors quite a bit. Outside of Gerrard, most RW decks are going wide or won't have the scariest three permanents on the board. If you add blue you get more ways to cheat it out as well as selection of much more powerful individual permanents (Omniscience, GinGitaxis). Adding Green gets ramp to get it out faster and recover faster, land recursion to make it asymmetrical and better threats (Gishath, Sun's Avatar).

Even so it is a punisher card because your opponent get's to choose what to keep so it is rarely ever a guaranteed answer to anything specific. It usually ends being a value play for a player rather than cementing the win like true MLD does. And 6 mana is a little too steep for that in RW.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I think this would be soft-banned by most people I would play with. In a universe with MLD, I can see it getting a slot, if you can make your three permanents be something like Aurelia, Gisela, Iroas.

3drinks

Wdnesday, November 30th, 2022; Angelic Ascension

I'd play this. Odds are the 4/4 angel is worth a helluva lot less than whatever it is you're hitting.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

PrimevalCommander

I'd snap play this in Green or Red, but not White or Black. Blue would be borderline as we already have Resculpt and a half dozen other transformation removal spells giving less back than this. I favor Fateful Absence over this at the moment. Although many would say the card is worth more than the 4/4, but Flying is somewhat relevant. I play a ton of these transformation removals, but this one is in a color of some of the best removal in the format, so it had stiff competition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”