Judgmentations
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Break R
Instant (C)
Destroy target artifact.

More conceptual... I think "Visit - Draw a card" was pretty cool, and felt so intuitive that it didn't even register as a novel implementation. I've always wanted shorter triggered abilities. The whole "beginning" should have been implicit. If it triggers at a point, of course it triggers immediately upon reaching that point. It's not like other triggers say "Whenever a creature dies, right away draw a card." And to make it more clear than a dash, triggered could use an arrow in parallel to activated's colon. "At end step → Sacrifice this."

Goblin Concocter 1R
Creature - Goblin Shaman (U)
Enter → Draw a card.
Dead → Discard a card.
2/1

IIW: scientific names
Something so simple it has been done: Smelt.

Your wording simplifications may some day happen in some form. It's true that they don't need a lot of explanation. This could work with simple triggers like upkeep or end step, and it's the kind of shorthand Melvins use anyway when making custom cards.

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Silverbramble Armor 1G
Enchantment - Aura {U}
As long as Silverbramble Armor is on the stack, the creature it targets has ward 2.
Enchant creature gets +2/+2 and has trample.

IIW: I'll post the Mishra design music and musicians
Targeting the basic weakness of auras (being open to a two-for-one) by making the creature cost more to remove at the moment of enchanting. However, unless the removal spell is toughness based, the ward won't protect it once the aura has entered the battlefield. Since the timing of that is so limited, I would rather it grant ward all the time, or just grant hexproof while on the stack.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Nightling bolt B
Instant
Choose one -
• Target player loses 3 life.
• Remove 3 counters from target planeswalker.
• Target creature gets -0/-3 until the end of turn.

IIW: Cards designed for Jumpstart Packs
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago

Nightling Bolt B
Instant
Choose One:
• Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn.
• Target player loses 3 life.
• Remove 3 counters from target planeswalker.
I knew this seemed familiar. To be fair I'm quite sure I've used this IIW before.

Your point that all these things fall under the purview of black is valid. But the world does not need black to have a true Lightning Bolt. Black's direct life drain has never been very efficient, and a Shock would be much more reasonable.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Miss
Instant (C)
The controller of target spell or ability may change its targets. If any target changed this way, draw a card. Otherwise, if that spell or ability had one or more targets, counter it.
Wow, what a card. It almost always counters a counterspell (which is very powerful in hybrid mana) and it changes a removal spell to a less desirable target with a cantrip on top. Hitting Ancestral Recall is particularly amusing, not that it would come up much. I'm inclined to think this would need a more restrictive mana cost, or it may need to cost 2. But that would take testing. I like the idea a lot.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Tropical Mosquito
{B}
Creature - Insect (U)
Flying
Whenever Tropical Mosquito attacks, you may pay {B} and 1 life. If you do, it gets +1/+0 and gains infect until end of turn.
0/1

Idea Theft
{U}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.

Voracious Caterpillar
{G}
Creature - Insect (R)
: Voracious Caterpillar becomes a Giant Insect with base power and toughness 3/3.
: If Voracious Caterpillar is a Giant, put a defender counter and two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes a Giant Insect Pupa.
: If Voracious Caterpillar is a Pupa, remove all defender counters from it, draw two cards, then put a flying counter on it and it becomes a Giant Insect Horror with base power and toughness 5/5.
1/1

(Yes, the 2nd ability is repeatable if you so wish and allows you to reuse the third)

Oni of Torture
2{B}{B)
Creature - Demon Spirit (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
5/5

IIW: Bad common green flyer that makes even Rosewater go "Y'know what? Green can have that."
Yes, an infecting Swamp Mosquito should exist.

Brainbite, Consult the Necrosages, Mind Ravel, Psychic Symbiont, Disinformation Campaign .... By Jove you're right. It hasn't been done. Not quite anyway.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is fun. Defender in the middle phase is a neat addition to the Figure of Destiny build. We see a lot of cards on that model these days, so something of the kind is not unlikely.

Breaking the Reserve List for Juzam Djinn on a technicality. Ravenous Giant didn't knock many socks off when it hit, and a lot of people seeing this wouldn't even realize the reference. Still a decent uncommon even despite the ridiculous creature creep we've had.
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Steady Growth 1G
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

IIW: Perfectly fine cards that nonetheless shouldn't exist.
You mean to tell me this doesn't exist anywhere?! Oh wait, it really doesn't? Fight Rigging and Obsessive Skinner are the closest things to this.

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Barkskin Chant 2GG
Enchantment
When Barkskin Chant enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Elemental creature token.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Grow with the forest or become its food."
—Inscription found in Oran-Rief

IIW: the deep dwarven kingdoms and their frontiers
That's a sweet little enchantment. Since the prompt was for maximum simplicity, I'd rather without the 1/1, but I think the balance you chose with the mana cost is good.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Tolarian Elf U
Creature - Elf Wizard
The first instant or sorcery spell you cast during your turn costs less.
0/1

IIW: Unexpected creature type mashups.
It only discounts one spell and is a 0/1. Perfect balance. No notes.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Bloodbeard Wrathful R
Creature - Dwarf Berserker (U)
Haste
Bloodbeard Wrathful must attack each turn if able.
2/1

Wooded Pond
Land (U)
Wooded Pond Enters the battlefield tapped.
T, Sacrifice Wooded Pond: Search your library for an Island or Forest card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.

IIW: Design an Uncommon meant for limited/ cube play
Bloodbeard Wrathful fits the challenge perfectly. Again, perfect balance. No notes.

As to Wooded Pond... these were overdue 15 years ago. I don't know why the off color slow fetches have yet to exist.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Winner and next:
HM: Ulka for Bloodbeard Wrathful and Chetoos for Tolarian Elf.
Winner: Ink Treader for Steady Growth

Next: Perfectly fine cards that nonetheless shouldn't exist.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Family Accountant 1
Creature — Human Advisor {C}
Whenever you lose unspent mana during your turn, create a treasure token. This ability triggers only once each turn.
2/2

IIW: "but it's just kicker!"
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Boring and obvious
Show
Hide
Paradise
Land (R)
Paradise enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add one mana of any color.
Punisher Imp 3R
Creature- Imp (R)
Menace
When a land enters the battlefield, Punisher Imp deals 2 damage to that land's controller.
1/4

Afterthought U
Instant (C)
Draw a card.
Add C.

IIW: Walls, towers, fortifications, and monuments

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Eternal vista
Land
The first spell you cast each turn costs less.
As one gazes into the placid expanse, starting the journey just doesn't seem so hard anymore.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
White Sheet Geist 1W
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying
Whenever White Sheet Geist attacks, if your white power is six or more, draw a card (your white power equals the total power among white creatures you control.)
1/2
Black Gorilla Warrior 1b
Creature - Ape Warrior
Menace
Whenever black gorilla warrior attacks, draw a card and lose 1 life if your black power is 6 or more.
2/2

Grizzly Tardigrade 1u
Creature - Fish Bear
2/2

Iiw: unusual creature type mashups OR make a marvel snap card (Or location) a magic card, or vice versa
Last edited by chetoos 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Uh, @Mergatroid_Jones, I think you skipped over some of my entries. Specifically the ones in my first post? :)

EDIT: I think when you went to copy Ulka's previous submission, you accidently copy and pasted over my entries.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mergatroid_Jones

Sorry about that!
missed judgment
Show
Hide
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Cramming
1{U}
Sorcery (U)
Draw three cards, then discard two cards.
There's only so much room.

Risky Reward
{B}
Sorcery (U)
Draw two cards. Skip your next two draw phases.
Is it worth it?

Saprophyte Sporebirth
2{B}{G}
Sorcery (C)
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
The soil and even the air contain countless spores waiting for the nutrients to sprout.

Undergrowth Troll
2{G}
Creature - Troll Warrior (C)
1{G}: Put a shield counter on Undergrowth Troll. Tap it. At the beginning of the next end step, remove all shield counters from Undergrowth Troll.
3/2
This new breed of troll can regenerate from wounds that would kill regular trolls.

IIW: Bad common green flyer that makes even Rosewater go "Y'know what? Green can have that."
Cramming: Wow, the closest to this is somehow Mystic Meditation. You're digging pretty deep there at two mana, and feeding the graveyard too. But I don't think it's overpowered despite how much better it is than Catalog.

Risky Reward: Seems more red than black to me. It's weird to keep track of, and kinda belongs for the current challenge: It's actually a fine design, but it's not a card that should be printed.

Saprophyte Rebirth: It's the saproling version of Late to Dinner. I bet you're 100% right that they will eventually print this.

Undergrowth Troll:
I've seen this ability before somewhere. :burnt:

Sporegorger_Dragon

Restart
{4}{U}{U}
Sorcery (M)
Restart the game.

Mathmagician
2{U}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
You can only cast Mathmagician during even-numbered turns.
Flash
Flying
4/4

Imaginative Homunculus
{U}
Creature - Homunculus (C)
{Q}: Look at the top card of your library.
1/1

Turntimber Allyship
1{G}
Enchantment (U)
Wolves you control are Allies in addition to their other creature types.

Boggart Firedancer
2{R}
Creature - Goblin Warrior (U)
Sacrifice Boggart Firedancer: It deals 1 damage to any target.
Persist
2/2

Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

I'll try to judge in about 12 hours.

But yeah, seriously, I was surprised to see there was no straight up unconditional 'add +1/+1 counter to target creature on upkeep'. Just lots of conditional ones.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Timbits, Chaos Learner
Legendary Creature - Goblin
: Add or .
1/1

IIW: Draft matters Cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

White Sheet Geist 1W
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying
Whenever White Sheet Geist attacks, if your white power is six or more, draw a card (your white power equals the total power among white creatures you control.)
1/2

Communism W
Enchantment (U)
If a player would create one or more treasure tokens, instead each player creates X treasure tokens, where X is that number divided by the number of players, rounded down.

IIW: writing
Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
White Sheet Geist 1W
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying
1/2
Illustrated by Harold McNeill
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

🦃
MEG

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Pardon the delay, Thanksgiving and what-not. Commencing judging
Judgments
Show
Hide
Megiddo: I suppose this qualifies. The ability is perfectly fine, the mana cost shouldn't exist.
Mergatroid Jones: Punisher Imp - Ankh of Mishra says this card could exist just fine. If anything, this is underpowered.
Afterthought- While a little bit safer than Manamorphose in regards to Storm decks, this probably shouldn't exist.
chetoos: Eternal Vista- Yeah, I'm not sure if this is perfectly fine. Getting the effect every turn is what pushes it. Just your turn though...
Black Gorilla Warrior- Yeah. Honestly it's more the name of this and JuanCu's that are perhaps trying too hard. The mechanic alone is perfectly fine, and <color> power is quite easy to understand the intent of.
Grizzly Tardigrade- Can you really call it a fish?
Sporegorger_Dragon: Restart- Perfectly fine this is not.
Mathmagician- Yeah, this fits the prompt well enough. The tracking is what ruins an otherwise fine card.
Imaginative Homunculus- No.
Turntimber Allyship- Nooooo.
Boggart Firedancer- Slightly less blatant than the previous two at least.
Ulka: A restriction away from perfectly fine I'd say.
JuanCu: White Sheet Geist: The right art and a name change could maybe salvage this. But probably not.
Communism: Probably could happen, just would need to be powered up/be less narrow.
Winner
Show
Hide
Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon for Mathmagician
HMs: Mergatroid Jones for Afterthought
Next challenge: Bad common green flyer that makes even Rosewater go "Y'know what? Green can have that."

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Marsh Wasp 3G
Creature — Insect (C)
Flying, deathtouch
Marsh Wasp can block only creatures with flying.
1/1

Juancu

Blitzybuzzy 1G
Creature - Insect (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever Blitzybuzzy deals combat damage to a player, that player untaps each land they control, and they may cast spells as if they had flash until end of turn.
1: Counter target spell if its controller was dealt combat damage by Blitzybuzzy this turn.
1/1

Mergatroid_Jones

Giant Dragonfly 3G
Creature- Insect (C)
Flying
The kingfisher catches the fish, and the dragonfly catches the kingfisher.
1/4

It may not be the world's most thrilling design, but I wish it existed.

IIW: Insects, arachnids, and worms.

Megiddo
MEG

Needleshell Darner 3GG
Creature — Insect {C}
Flying
When Needleshell Darner enters the battlefield, distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two target creatures you control.
1/1

IIW: Bigger & Dumber
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

I always felt that {G} getting no flyers except as a cycle was a bit of a mistake. I see no problem with anti-flying removal coexisting with a few mediocre flyers. {R} occasionally gets a terrible weenie flyer. So instead of Hornet Queen or whatever, {G} gets to have something terrible once in a while.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Marsh Wasp 3G
Creature — Insect (C)
Flying, deathtouch
Marsh Wasp can block only creatures with flying.
1/1

This was really what I had in mind. Give it Flash at a higher rarity, and what you have here is a flyer kill-spell. As is, it's still interesting for discouraging your opponent from swinging with their winged win-condition, or forcing your opponent to make a choice; let the thing ping, or block with a flyer
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Blitzybuzzy 1G
Creature - Insect (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever Blitzybuzzy deals combat damage to a player, that player untaps each land they control, and they may cast spells as if they had flash until end of turn.
1: Counter target spell if its controller was dealt combat damage by Blitzybuzzy this turn.
1/1

Uh, well the spirit is there, but I can't help but feel there is a way to break it. Sure it's only your turn, but I can see it being used to protect a combo played post combat.

Also; disqualified! That thing is a rare!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Giant Dragonfly 3G
Creature- Insect (C)
Flying
The kingfisher catches the fish, and the dragonfly catches the kingfisher.
1/4

It may not be the world's most thrilling design, but I wish it existed.

IIW: Insects, arachnids, and worms.
True, we never got a "modern" dragonfly; all our dragonflies are green flyers from ages past. This seems fine, a glorified Giant Spider with a bit less power.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Needleshell Darner 3GG
Creature — Insect {C}
Flying
When Needleshell Darner enters the battlefield, distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two target creatures you control.
1/1

IIW: Bigger & Dumber
Interesting; not quite as bad, but still below the curve. Still somewhat useful for the counters.
Winner and next:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
HM: Megiddo
Winner: spacemonaut

NEXT: the deep dwarven kingdoms and their frontiers

Megiddo
MEG

i didn't have the heard to make it only give out one counter for five mana.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

alternative prompt: Young Pyromancer and Young Necromancer are both big fans following in the footsteps of a planeswalker they once encountered. Create the next young hero for us to see.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Dwarven Lumberjack
2{R}{R}
Creature - Dwarf Warrior (U)
Haste
When Dwarven Lumberjack enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature without flying. That creature loses reach until end of turn, and blocks Dwarven Lumberjack this turn if able.
3/2
"Why do dwarves carry axes?"
"Elves live in trees."

IIW: Runeclaw Bear for blue

Megiddo
MEG

Strange Mood 1R
Sorcery {R}
The next time a nontoken artifact would enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead exile that artifact. When you do, draft a card from Strange Mood's spellbook and put that card onto the battlefield.
IIW: next iteration of a classic
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Copper Mine
Land- Mine (C)
T: Add R and put a depletion counter on Copper Mine. If there are 3 or more depletion counters on it, instead add C.
3R,T: Put a first strike counter on target creature and a depletion counter on Copper Mine.

Silver Mine
Land-Mine (C)
T: Add u and put a depletion counter on Silver Mine. If there are 3 or more depletion counters on it, instead add C.
1UU, T: Draw a card. Put a depletion counter on Silver Mine.

And so on according to the Gold Myr cycle. And something to do with depleted mines.

Greedy Overseer 3R
Creature- Dwarf (U)
Haste
T, Sacrifice a land: Draw a card. If that land was a mine, create a colorless artifact Treasure token.
2/4

Deepmountain Jeweler RR
Creature- Dwarf (U)
When you sacrifice a treasure token for red mana, add an additional R.
2/1

IIW: The summer 2025 Zendikar set is WEEEIIIRD.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Juancu

Blor, Gully Dwarf King 3B
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Peasant (R)
When Blor enters the battlefield, choose one:
- You gain 3 life and mill up to three cards.
- Mine a card from your graveyard. (To mine a card, exile three cards from your graveyard. If one shares its mana value, another its color identity, the third a card type, and none its name, put the mined card in your hand.)
4/3

IIW: put a ring on it

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

The fall of moria 1rb
Enchantment- saga
| - create a 2/1 red dwarf creature token and a treasure token
|| - sacrifice a land unless you sacrifice 2 creatures
||| - create a 6/6 red and black demon creature token with flying and "1r: this creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn"

Iiw: unexpected creature type mashups OR turn a card or location in marvel snap into a magic card (or vice versa)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”