[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Gaea's Regent
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gaea's Regent » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I suspect it might be a case of a rough transition rather than a plan for sally to be no forums but I guess time will tell. If sally forums are done or down for some amount of time it might make a better transition over to here.
Oh hai. 👋🏼😊
From Gaea grew the world, and the world was silent. From Gaea grew the world’s elves, and the world was silent no more. —Elvish teaching

:) :) :) :) :halo: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :halo: :) :cussing: :) :) :halo: :) :cussing:

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
If we're still doing introductions, hi, my name is Sheldon. My job is getting called names by people in the internet.
Best. Introduction. Ever.
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
At one of our mod meetup years ago we had drafted my cube. In one game Jivan was playing Oloro and Airi (I think) hit him turn 2 with Stigma Lasher. Kaburi hears us laughing across the room and investigates, then burst out laughing that Jivan got hit.... and then laughed doubly as hard when he found out who the Commander was.
Excuse me, but I'll be claiming this honor. It was in my Kurkesh deck.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

[mention]cryogen[/mention] you need to add a link to the play group thread to the official resource list. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=293
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
@cryogen you need to add a link to the play group thread to the official resource list. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=293
Consider it done, and thanks for doing this. I even added my LGS.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 4 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
If we're still doing introductions, hi, my name is Sheldon. My job is getting called names by people in the internet.
Welcome sir! While I was VERY sad to see Paradox Engine leave, being a dedicated cEDH player, I totally understand and support the rationalization.

And you do a great job with your job, lol. At this point, you must have hexproof since your skin is so thick!

In other news, since I've taken a 3-4 month long fast from Facebook, did the party for finishing your Master's involve high quality wine and/or MTG?
High quality wine. IIRC, the count was 32 bottles.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Gaea's Regent wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I suspect it might be a case of a rough transition rather than a plan for sally to be no forums but I guess time will tell. If sally forums are done or down for some amount of time it might make a better transition over to here.
Oh hai. 👋🏼😊
There's an old face. I missed your sig and avy shop :p
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

Ooh, intros.
I'm Liam AKA Rasputin101 from sunny England (yes I have the accent, no I don't know the Queen).
I have one super tight deck and my other 15 are 'play to play' style decks that keep the spirit of EDH alive... The tight deck sucks the life out of the room.
I'd say its good to see old faces but you're all just a bunch of words on a screen... Love you all anyways!

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
@cryogen you need to add a link to the play group thread to the official resource list. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=293
Consider it done, and thanks for doing this. I even added my LGS.
Got yours added, starting at the ground will make it better since I can add everyone's info instead of just commander players. Once we have enough I plan to put spoilers for the different states and then maybe even subdivid it by format or just leave it at the state level

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Got yours added, starting at the ground will make it better since I can add everyone's info instead of just commander players. Once we have enough I plan to put spoilers for the different states and then maybe even subdivid it by format or just leave it at the state level
If you're ever planning on subdividing by format you should probably start collecting the info now, even if you don't do anything with it yet. It's a lot harder to go back and add it in later.

I'll echo the sentiment that it's good to see some familiar faces, especially the ones who haven't been around for a while ([mention]Surging Chaos[/mention]). Now we just need viperesque and Gaka to poke in to really drag things back in time.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Hermes_

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
If you're ever planning on subdividing by format you should probably start collecting the info now, even if you don't do anything with it yet. It's a lot harder to go back and add it in later.
I honestly doubt i'd do that because it sounds like more work for me and i'm lazy lol

braden
Pronoun: they / them

Post by braden » 4 years ago

Hi, I am Braden and I'm currently from Worcester, Mass.

I am a predominately cEDH player, but I love to jam some casual games by borrowing random people's decks.

I play cEDH at my LGS pretty regularly. I travel around a lot to events in the North East. I am planning on going to a couple more GPs this year and some SCG Events for sure.

I love to chat with people about the philosophy of commander, cEDH, and other stuff. Feel free to tell me I am wrong.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

braden wrote:
4 years ago
Feel free to tell me I am wrong.
Wrong.

But also welcome.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

braden wrote:
4 years ago
Hi, I am Braden and I'm currently from Worcester, Mass.

I am a predominately cEDH player, but I love to jam some casual games by borrowing random people's decks.

I play cEDH at my LGS pretty regularly. I travel around a lot to events in the North East. I am planning on going to a couple more GPs this year and some SCG Events for sure.

I love to chat with people about the philosophy of commander, cEDH, and other stuff. Feel free to tell me I am wrong.
To be contrary...

You're right! As long as you play with the best card ever printed, that is.

Check out the cEDH forums! They'll be changing soon, but I'm planning on making Nexus THE destination place for cEDH discussion.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I think Reddit may have some words with you on that goal. But you know I got your back.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Reddit has words for everything.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
I think Reddit may have some words with you on that goal. But you know I got your back.
Of course. But does reddit really have credibility beyond a place for people to get trolled or experience dismissive comments? Sure, there's some generally useful suggestions and decent people, but for the most part I found the tone and suggestions to be frequently dismissive or condescending at best and vitriolic and sardonic at worst.

Either way, I'll probably start wading into the cEDH battle sometime next week due to my life schedule.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Reddit has some inherent problems with deeper discussion both because of the upvote/downvote system and, probably bigger, the inherently transitory nature of how the topics work. When the same topics have to be rehashed on a weekly or daily basis (see: proxies on the EDH sub), it's more difficult to really get into things. On the occasions where good discussion does happen it gets washed away by whatever the new topic is a day or two later, so it's not available as a resource to anyone who wasn't involved in the conversation to begin with. It's exacerbated by downvotes often getting used as an "I disagree" button, meaning that unpopular opinions frequently don't get addressed. The entire system works well for some things - if I'm commenting on whatever the day's news is, I'm probably not looking for discussion history. It's been problematic for things like magic decks, especially in formats where the metagame is slow to shift and decks can develop over months or years. I do read it as entertainment, but I hate trying to have any actual discussion there.

Legacy has seen a lot of people move from traditional forums like the Source to Reddit and Discord (which is even more transitory) and it's felt like a net negative for discussion of the format. It's much more difficult to get an idea of an unfamiliar deck, whether that's because you're interested in trying it or because you're looking for how to combat it. I'm not involved enough in cEDH discussion to know if it's had similar problems or if its coming to popularity after that rend was already established means it wasn't felt as much, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Idk where to put this, but i wanted to shout out this lovely, young community. Just because the energy on here is quite unique already!
2 days ago i wrote this:
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
I might get addicted to this coding thing, once i get a grasp of most options. :nerd:

Yesterday all i did was copy and paste my decklists over from MTGS and adjust them a little. Today i foolishly felt like overhauling my signature... Once i've read into the BB options on here it was really hard and time-consuming to achieve what i wanted to go for within the 1.024 character limit. :explode:

Now i'm highly interested in adjusting my decklist template next!
I can barely fathom how much time and effort that might take... :crazy:
What happened since then?

1. Several people did inquire about said signature and the communication was awesome and creative!
2. I couldn't keep myself from color coding all 16 effing decks of mine - and loved it despite the time it took.

On top of that there are several threads going that are a pleasure to read. Something that hasn't really been the case on MTGS for me in months. If the spirit can keep going and everyone stays as inspired as is i can totally see myself dropping my MTGS acc very soon.

Keep it up, you wonderful people!

Sheldon

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
Well, if you saw my Twitter or FB post, you know that it got better.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could say that I can't believe it happened.... except I totally can believe it.

Hermes_

Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Sheldon wrote:
4 years ago
I will gladly hunt down whoever it was and either cough on them and or lick them or both.

EDIT: [mention]cryogen[/mention] are you a brony and or a sock puppet for Sheldon..the suggestion came up over at reddit...

Sheldon

If anyone thinks that cryogen is a yes man or blindly devoted follower, they have not paid attention. He's good to play games with and understands how to disagree like an adult, so if that makes him a sock puppet, whatever.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
It's funny you should say that, as your survey seems to have gotten a lot of attention, including some seemingly competitive people. I do hope they stay, we've got some lively threads at the moment.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

So here's the story behind my avatar:

When I first joined MTGS and the official forums I needed an avatar, because you're not legit if you don't have an avatar. I was deployed at the time and MLP had just come on the air. My daughter was three, so I thought this would be a perfect way for her and I to have something to do together and I heard it was actually a really good show, so I started watching it (obviously with headphones on under the blankets so the other people in my unit didn't find out). Well this character connected to me because she was a DJ and I liked music, so I picked it to be my avatar on the forums. Pretty soon it just felt like "me" and it was recognizable so I kept it long after my daughter stopped liking the show or either of us watched it. Plus, it has the added bonus of trolling people who think that calling me a Brony is supposed to somehow offend me.

As to the other part, I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm actually a googly eyed sock that resides on Sheldon's hand.

Edit: tstorm I meant that if Ben tried to claim that we were the cEDH site they might be upset that we were trying to usurp that title. But yeah, I'm happy to see some of them coming here. I even recognize some of them, [mention]Kajarak32[/mention], whom I had a number of good interactions with in my Reddit thread.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
So here's the story behind my avatar:

When I first joined MTGS and the official forums I needed an avatar, because you're not legit if you don't have an avatar. I was deployed at the time and MLP had just come on the air. My daughter was three, so I thought this would be a perfect way for her and I to have something to do together and I heard it was actually a really good show, so I started watching it (obviously with headphones on under the blankets so the other people in my unit didn't find out). Well this character connected to me because she was a DJ and I liked music, so I picked it to be my avatar on the forums. Pretty soon it just felt like "me" and it was recognizable so I kept it long after my daughter stopped liking the show or either of us watched it. Plus, it has the added bonus of trolling people who think that calling me a Brony is supposed to somehow offend me.
I have honestly only seen the movie, never seen an episode of the cartoon but i do know bronies,and i have a plush rainbow dash

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”