Feather, the Redeemed - Weaponised Jankmas Incarnate

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

Thanks for consolidating your various talking points. While I may still currently remember them, future me or other readers may not necessarily :P

Seeing how I run Sword of Feast and Famine to decent effect, I could actually see The Reaver Cleaver having a home in some Feathers, especially ones that pump her up.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
Thanks for consolidating your various talking points. While I may still currently remember them, future me or other readers may not necessarily :P

Seeing how I run Sword of Feast and Famine to decent effect, I could actually see The Reaver Cleaver having a home in some Feathers, especially ones that pump her up.
Or ones that are trying to win with Aggravated Assault or Godo, Bandit Warlord both of which are pretty reasonable wincons (though not my personal jam:)).

I think Cleaver is likely better than FoF because it draws less hate and leaves persistent mana. FoF is great, for sure, but the combination of protections and discard tend to draw a lot of aggro.

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » 1 year ago

Lotta changes this time around, huh? (Also, hi, been a long time. :grin:)

I agree that Sad Robot/Cartographer were kind of "win-more" on the Ramp front, those new choices aren't bad. But personally I feel like I REALLY want to squeeze that Relic of Legends in (combined w/ a Flicker Spell, it lets you re-use Feather to pay for it each turn cycle. Not to mention Unwinding Clock untaps it. But 3 CMC IS a bit much.. :thinking:) If I had to choose one, you think the Knight or the Gnome is the better choice? (Probably the Gnome, right?)

I also really like Rosnakht, but I'm still hesitant to run more than one Heroic Creature (in my list I had already cut the Vanguard out for Clarion Spirit so I don't run into situations where I have two Heroics but only one actually does something..) I don't know if I should cut Akroan Crusader for Rosnakht, or say YOLO and go back to running two Heroics and cut the Spirit.. (Rosnakht IS spicy w/ Slaughter the Strong as you mention. :P)

Is Aggro REALLY that big of a deal? I've been gone a while, so my recent Commander game experience is a bit limited as I only recently started going to games again in person, but I feel like Aggro is something one runs into fairly rarely.. (And usually it's Goblins and/or Purphoros.) As such I still don't run Intimidation Bolt (I have it in the deckbox unsleeved, to add if I ever end up regretting not having it.. lol.) But you've allocated a lot of cards to this purported Aggro threat (the bolt, Slaughter, Wall of Omens,) and I'm still not sure how needed it really is (I mean, we got chumps, and Aetherflux Reservoir DID give Life before you cut it.. :P)

And on that note.. Are win-cons really that dense? The main win-cons as I see it, are Aria, Guttersnipe, and "Fishbowl".. I can't really imagine cutting any, especially since the Life-gain on "Fishbowl" can come in handy.

Speaking of "Fishbowls".. I'm also rather partial to Apostle's Blessing, as it's basically 1 Generic Mana and also protects Artifacts (and if running "Fishbowl" that protects a win-con, and the Clock.) But yeah, knowing how many Protection Spells is "enough" is kinda hard to decide.. lol.

Btw, what's your opinion on Mavinda? I run it in my deck, cuz there's some times where Spells end in the Grave (Hand-size, Surveil, Wheels, etc.) and it lets you get them back (or if you're really downbad, cast a Swords for 9 Mana.. lol.)

PS. I actually have even LESS Mountains than you, cuz I run Scavenger Grounds for Grave Hate (Grave and Land Hate are mandatory for all Decks imo if you can fit it in.)

PSS. I DO wanna squeeze in that Slaughter the Strong though, it's nice to have more than one [asymmetrical] Board Wipe... but what to cut.. :thinking:

PSSS. Zada, Rosnakht, and Mavinda also tap to Relic. ;)
Commanders:
RGW Hazezon ("Muad'Dib"): - (Deck List) (Dune flavored deck, every Card is a reference in some way)
RW Feather: - (Deck List) ("Cantrips 'R' Us", a Spellslinger deck)
UB Yuriko: - (Deck List) (Owls are great; bigger focus on 2-CMC utility "Ninja Enablers" rather than 1-Drops)
RWB Alesha: - (Deck List) (~$100 Budget)
WUBRG Alara: - (Deck List) (Lands.dec, with Maze's End)
WUBRG Reaper King: - (Deck List) (Changeling+Lord Tribal; yes, there is a Didgeridoo)
GU Volo: - (Deck List) (Zoo, Clones, and some fancy panorama alters)
BGU Kadena: - (Deck List) (Mighty Morphin' Naga Rangers)
Retired Decks
Show
Hide
GU Vannifar: - (Deck List) (cEDH; mostly a showcase of alters/promos)
WUB Aminatou: - (Deck List) (Thievery)
URG Riku: - (Deck List) (Retired, but should probably bring it back.. I need a more casual deck)
BGU Muldrotha: - (Deck List)
G Seton: - (Deck List)
UR Zndrsplt/Okaun - (Deck List)
UBR Tresserhorn: - (Deck List)
G Ayula: - (Deck List)
W Darien: - (Deck List)
RGW Uril: - (Deck List)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Hello there, been a while :)

If Relic of Legends speaks to you, go for it. We're already not optimal Feather by virtue of not being a pile of cantrips and dead combo pieces, so may as well have some fun if desired.

Between the two, Deep Gnome Terramancer strikes me as a stronger card. It's also nice here as you can catch an early fetch/ramp spell and chase out a Feather with mana up on turn three. However, Knight of the White Orchid is a perfectly serviceable card, and the fact there's a ceiling to the blink is less relevant than it used to be back when mana engines were worse.

Akroan Crusader is probably better. Having actual power come out of the tokens is more relevant than having a cute synergy with a wipe. Actually blocking down stuff on defence doesn't happen all that often, but having one power rather than zero at least creates the possibility.

On the rare occasion that I'd brave a Cockatrice pub and inevitably encounter something stronger/faster, there's not a lot that can be done. The only way around it is to pack more interaction to slow them down enough so we can do the thing, and Slaughter the Strong feels tailor made for those scenarios. Your mileage may vary. I still have those games stuck in my mind where I'd try my luck and get absolutely zerged down before the game even properly began.

My main condition is Zada plus Fists of Flame, everything else is incidental. Once Zada comes online and makes the deck nigh-impervious, it's nearly trivial to get Fists and do the thing. Hitting dedicated win condition pieces prematurely, especially redundant ones, is not great as you're still trying to set up properly. This has been a persistent observation, one that became more pronounced as the deck's efficiency improved with newly printed engines. There's still a high virtual density of the win conditions due to easy tutor access.

Apostle's Blessing is largely inferior to Blacksmith's Skill and Faith's Shield. At this point my protection spells are either effectively free, do extra stuff like scry, are efficiently costed blinks, or hit all permanent types in a pinch.

Mavinda is a cool card, but I just don't find myself needing her. If you need spell recursion then she's great for that.

I actually got a few games on Feather against guys from my group today, and got to see most of the new cards successfully doing what they're meant to be doing. Knight of the White Orchid costing two and nabbing the land untapped sequences nicer than Sad Robots, and as previously mentioned the various fancy new engines take a lot of pressure off him late. I played a Wall of Omens, drew and hit a land drop I otherwise would not have. Not shabby, but likely to be considered for cuts once something more exciting emerges. Maybe it would be better to devote this slot to a two-drop cantrip to cut out the middleman? Didn't have trouble finding win conditions, finished two games off via Zada Hoof and one via Aria of Flame. In one game I got to see Phyrexian Altar in action, it's still pretty useful if the pieces align. Definitely a different league than blinking four mana ramp guys.a

Since I'm posting here already, 40K and UNF review: literally nothing. There's a three mana Loyal Warhound, I'm already not running the two drop version. The name sticker goblin gives off strong "Dockside at home" vibes, and can't even milk a good sticker properly as a new one needs to happen each time it enters the field. Oh, and also it makes straight red, which as we know is beloved by this {W}-instant-heavy build.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » 1 year ago

If one was to no longer be in possession of Plateau and Mox Diamond , what would you sub in? I guess I COULD run the Knight of the White Orchid d]] now.. lol. But for the Land, I'm not sure if I wanna just go 1 more Basic Plains , or run one of those new Dual TapLands (granted that'd be slow, but give more targets for off-color Fetches.)
Commanders:
RGW Hazezon ("Muad'Dib"): - (Deck List) (Dune flavored deck, every Card is a reference in some way)
RW Feather: - (Deck List) ("Cantrips 'R' Us", a Spellslinger deck)
UB Yuriko: - (Deck List) (Owls are great; bigger focus on 2-CMC utility "Ninja Enablers" rather than 1-Drops)
RWB Alesha: - (Deck List) (~$100 Budget)
WUBRG Alara: - (Deck List) (Lands.dec, with Maze's End)
WUBRG Reaper King: - (Deck List) (Changeling+Lord Tribal; yes, there is a Didgeridoo)
GU Volo: - (Deck List) (Zoo, Clones, and some fancy panorama alters)
BGU Kadena: - (Deck List) (Mighty Morphin' Naga Rangers)
Retired Decks
Show
Hide
GU Vannifar: - (Deck List) (cEDH; mostly a showcase of alters/promos)
WUB Aminatou: - (Deck List) (Thievery)
URG Riku: - (Deck List) (Retired, but should probably bring it back.. I need a more casual deck)
BGU Muldrotha: - (Deck List)
G Seton: - (Deck List)
UR Zndrsplt/Okaun - (Deck List)
UBR Tresserhorn: - (Deck List)
G Ayula: - (Deck List)
W Darien: - (Deck List)
RGW Uril: - (Deck List)

pokken

Sheriff wrote:
1 year ago
If one was to no longer be in possession of Plateau and Mox Diamond , what would you sub in? I guess I COULD run the Knight of the White Orchid d]] now.. lol. But for the Land, I'm not sure if I wanna just go 1 more Basic Plains , or run one of those new Dual TapLands (granted that'd be slow, but give more targets for off-color Fetches.)
my opinions only, ymmv, etc, etc :P

I think with all the rainbow lands in this deck you can skate by just subbing in a plains, but I'd personally add Prismatic Vista I think. I've really been happy with that card in two color decks.

Mox Diamond can be replaced with a mountain, a draw spell, or a ramp spell. In this deck, I'd be inclined to add Faithless Looting which I think is a really good card--I really like it in my build. The velocity is very nice.

gunar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by gunar » 1 year ago

Sheriff wrote:
1 year ago
Is Aggro REALLY that big of a deal? I've been gone a while, so my recent Commander game experience is a bit limited as I only recently started going to games again in person, but I feel like Aggro is something one runs into fairly rarely.. (And usually it's Goblins and/or Purphoros.) As such I still don't run Intimidation Bolt (I have it in the deckbox unsleeved, to add if I ever end up regretting not having it.. lol.) But you've allocated a lot of cards to this purported Aggro threat (the bolt, Slaughter, Wall of Omens,) and I'm still not sure how needed it really is (I mean, we got chumps, and Aetherflux Reservoir DID give Life before you cut it.. :P)
I dunno, bolt has saved my hide so many times. It can blank any deck that tries to win through combat. Aggro player? big stompy green guy? dinosaurs? angels? As long as craterhoof is relevant I think I'm keeping bolt around.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

BRO Change

Yes, I totally tactically delayed this update post so I could cover J22 in the same post :P

BRO Change
Approximate Total Cost:

Loran's Escape is about as auto-include as cards get here. One mana, fantastic blanket protection, and it somehow scries on top of that. It's kind of funny that this came out not long after I took out my prime artifact-based finisher, but I stand by my prior assessment that Aria of Flame is more consistent on the whole. I wonder if Feather is still an active consideration for R&D when they make cards. We haven't seen a new one mana cantrip in {r/w} since she got made, but at the same time stuff like Escape feels very targeted toward this deck. This "hexproof and indestructible" stuff is very potent, we'll see what the future holds for the protection suite.

Ultimately the cut is Wall of Omens. I'm literally only happy to see this on turn two, and very rarely otherwise. The deck draws cards just fine without adding this effect to its ETB suite, and often I'm happier to be more mana efficient and use a scry instant rather than a slow blink as a cantrip. We're often looking for very particular things, mana engines, swarmers, finishers, what have you, and efficiently digging through the deck rather than going for pure hand girth gets the job done for the most part. Other cut considerations included Faith's Shield/Ephemeral Shields as comparably do-nothing protection (oh how spoiled are we getting!), or maybe even some of the slow blinks. It was still worth trying the Wall out.

The other main BRO consideration was Loran of the Third Path herself, but we already have Duergar Hedge-Mage. The fact I was so sluggish in tossing this update up means J22 is spoiled now, and there's nothing really worth noting there either. Preston, the Vanisher might be a consideration for blink Feathers due to the repeated ETBs and extra chump gum?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

In case you didn't know, Ancestral Anger is available as a red Defiant Strike (add trample) and Renegade Tactics is strictly better than Panic.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pokken

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
In case you didn't know, Ancestral Anger is available as a red Defiant Strike (add trample) and Renegade Tactics is strictly better than Panic.
In feather, sorceries are real bad (panic and defiant strike can be cast once per player's turn, and with stuff like Storm-Kiln Artist can be cast for free)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

On similar grounds, Balduvian Rage is a secret sorcery as it can only target attacking creatures :P Somehow still has a higher include rate on EDHREC than Heal, which is amusing.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 year ago

Has been a while since I visited your primer, so I was curious about possible changes that you have been making to your list. I am running an identical list to yours, except for the fetch lands and the moxes. I agree on taking Aetherflux Reservoir out, I think it was the weakest wincondition of the deck. It is also much more satisfying to kill people with Aria of Flame, Monastery Mentor or Zada + stuff imo.

I am not sure about Deep Gnome Terramancer in my meta specifically. It triggers when people play land ramp or fetch lands, and most people do not run fetch lands here. I did like the sad robot and cartographer. Blinking those in the mid game often put me ahead a lot for a relatively low opportunity cost.

Also a hard agree on removing Wall of Omens, and Boon of Safety is just a very good card.

Overall, nice small improvements across the board!

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Glad to hear you're on board with the tweaks. Just taking inspiration from stuff is often correct, feel free to keep the Sad Robots if you wish :P I remember when about half the players rotated in the group I was in back in 2015, and the resulting alternate meta had me pulling multiple changes to a number of decks to adapt. It's expected that not everything will translate over perfectly, plus I've got my own set of biases and whatnot. That said, it is kind of strange that there's insufficient land ramp in a group where Feather is appropriate for Deep Gnome to be relevant.

ONE's premier consideration for Feather, and many other white decks, is Clever Concealment. It's trivial for this to cost as much as Eerie Interlude, and it only gets cheaper from there. Plus phasing is super powerful, and this can technically reach Aria of Flame etc. too. However, phasing comes with the clause of things being gone for the entire turn rotation, which is a bit of a double-edged sword for Feather trying to milk value. Other than that, pickings are slim. Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines could be a thing in flicker builds? The Torpor Orb is a brutal piece of tech to casually staple onto a value engine.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

ValiantJake

Post by ValiantJake » 1 year ago

As a new player and Feather Fanatic, I wonder what you think about a couple of inclusions:
Liquimetal Torque + Explosive Entry
Explosive Entry has been good for me. Admittedly, my deck has not been as fast or as competitive, but I am retooling thanks to the insights and guidance I have found here.
Liquimetal Torque allows Explosive Entry to remove ANY non-land permanent the same way. Enchantments, creatures, whatever. It also serves as a 1 mana to fuel my Boros Signet when not needed to make things artifacts.

I've been using Deep Gnome Terramancer in my Mono-White deck and dropping Path of Exile on an opponent's creature and getting a land when they get a land is nice. Not sure I want to put the land-destruction I include in there in Feather, but I don't remember seeing anyone mention this benefit to DGT.

ValiantJake

Post by ValiantJake » 11 months ago

Just some thoughts from recent play, my apologies if these are already obvious to everyone else:
-Feather is much more complicated to play than many other decks, my mistakes cost me 2 of the 3 games I played. I was 1 turn away from victory and I hadn't effectively utilized scry to get to the card that would have finished the game in my favor. Still, none of the other players had any clue I was that close.
-I included Fell the Mighty, as I was convinced it is a great card. In 2 of the 3 games, it sat in my hand - dead - waiting for it to be a better play than the other cards. It never happened. This could be because of my inexperience, also, but the board threats weren't from several big creatures this day.
-I need to consider my opening hand more carefully - just having enough land to get a good start is not enough.
-I struggle to see how this deck will ever compete meaningfully with fully janked Rograhk hammer decks. Consistently killing by turn 4? Considering putting Magnetic Theft back in just for something more to deal with that.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 11 months ago

Hey, sorry for forgetting to respond to your initial message. Liquimetal Torque plus Explosive Entry is a pretty neat idea, though you'll have to see if your build is okay with the colourless. This deck is mightily coloured hungry.

As for the latter concern, that matches an experience raised in the thread back in 2020 when I hit up Cockatrice pubs with the deck and I ran into Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin and Winota, Joiner of Forces. As much as I'd like to pretend to build meta-agnostic, I do not. Everybody is more or less consciously trying to make it in their group (as evidenced by your spitballing of Magnetic Theft), and my group is quite a bit slower than Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh turn four kills. As such, Feather is the deck that comes blasting out of the gates and it's everybody else's problem to try to stop it. The deck is geared to fare as well as it can into that scenario. However, when exposed to faster curve-out aggro strategies, it's kind of like bringing a horse chariot to a car race. While the aggro deck exposure made an impression on me, I did not aggressively redesign my entire deck around it as this is not the sort of environment I'd typically encounter. I did add a couple cards, ones that were also geared to be effective in my group. If going up against Winota or something of that nature, the token swarmers often also help, producing chumps for critical attackers. Rograkh does not hugely care about chumps though.

Is there a way for you to race Rograkh to a turn four kill? You'll probably have a rough time, and will need to adjust the deck's direction quite a bit. You could technically try to go for all the bits of fast mana I left out in the hopes of landing a very fast Feather, and follow it up with a critical mass of cheap pump to try to kill them quickly. The thing is that they (presumably) land Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist on three, stick some hammer-likes on Rograkh and go to town. Meanwhile we spend three on Feather, who enables a value engine to be subsequently constructed. You'd probably have more luck leaning into permission to try to trip the faster decks up. I run relatively minimal removal, you could add more. Drannith Magistrate and other hatebears could be effective. My pet deck is Daxos, who is quite a bit slower than Feather, and in fact slower than my group in general. As such, the deck gravitated toward a healthy dose of interaction to keep the game going long enough to get to a winning position.

It should also formally be noted that cEDH Feathers go in a different direction, one that I am less familiar with. I tend to largely stay away from combos unless all the pieces are naturally live in the shell.

On an unrelated note, I've been chatting with pokken about Feather lately, and he's gotten me to reevaluate Brought Back here. A very nice piece of ramp on two, and a reasonable one-shot reaction spell further down the line. I could see myself taking out Faith's Shield for it. I'd probably bring in Prismatic Vista to maximise fetch saturation for the ramp, Fabled Passage does not work well with the "ramp on two" plan and I don't see myself using this for ramping later.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

From a purecombo perspective, the Twinflame / Dualcaster Mage has become my favorite. All good cards and Dualcaster Mage working as a Cancel is pretty nice too.

ValiantJake

No worries! Thanks for the reply!
My feather build is very fluid at this time. I'm trying a lot of different stuff (Boros Reckoner, Blazing Sunsteel and Arcbond anyone?) to see what I have the most fun playing. The group I play with has all sorts of different stuff across the board. There are a several players who use infinite combos or turn 4 win strategies as win conditions. Maybe I just need to let those guys have their "wins at all cost" and play with the guys who are there to have competitive fun.

In that case, enjoying a build of Feather using Sunforger, Magda, dwarves, and dragons and using Kick in the Door for a dungeon-y theme. Will have to get a decklist together and post it somewhere here and keep tinkering.

In the meantime, I've learned a lot trying out something close to your decklist and look forward to see what else you come up with in the future.

Thanks again!

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 11 months ago

New set! New card type! And Feather is actually quite well positioned to make use of it!

Feather is by far the best equipped of my lists to run sieges. She comes out quickly, offers a decent bit of evasive power, and is happy to use it for this task most of the time - the only conflict of interest are the various ramp swords. Alas, none of the sieges actually want to go in here. Invasion of Gobakhan is a bit of early tempo into an impressive backside that the deck doesn't really care about. Invasion of Kaldheim is a very cool card that is completely unnecessary here given the dig prowess.

I'm a little disappointed that there's no new cool convoke thing. MOM convoke cards seem quite conservatively designed and costed, translating to no viable includes.
  • Pain Distributor is the prime consideration from the set. Not quite as busted as Dorf, but being able to cycle a single value spell for free in others' turns is pretty neat. I'm not sure it's worth handing out free treasure to everyone for the benefit though.
  • Everything else rhymes with prior cards. Coming in Hot is another one mana scry 1. Flywheel Racer is inferior to Springleaf Drum from a sequencing perspective. Scrollshift has more range than Acrobatic Maneuver but we don't care. Tiller of Flesh is way too slow to be a practical swarmer. Urabrask is Birgi 2.0 that costs one mana more, and technically has a backside that is unlikely to see the light of day. The problem here remains that most of the spells that get aggressively repeated cost W rather than R.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

ValiantJake

Got my first pseudo cEDH win with my Feather deck this past weekend. 6 person table, running Rogahk, some non-Urza mono blue artifact deck, and several other self-professed very competitive decks.
First turn for me was Plains, Sol Ring, and Marble Diamond. 2nd Turn, dropped a mountain and brought out Feather.
Then I started using Defiant Strike to draw cards. Took advantage of the Rogahk player aggravating a Rakdos deck who stuffed his Urza's Saga...
Somewhere on Turn 4, I drew Dual Caster Mage to go with a Twinflame I had in hand.
Turn 5 - Went infinite: everyone was surprised and impressed.

I could not have done it without your advice and encouragement here.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 9 months ago

New set!
  • The main consideration is Reprieve. The most effective way to fight the deck is on the stack, and while red offers some element of counterplay via Pyroblast and the like, it's always nice to see more options for that. Reprieve can be used to pick up cantrips or other crucial spells in response to danger in general, which is something pokken brought up in a chat. Plus there's the political shenanigan option of staggering a huge play and painting a massive target on someone. Pretty neat package all around as it turns out.
  • The One Ring is a stupid piece of goodstuff that merits consideration in most decks. Feather doesn't really want it - the deck draws very well as is, and while the immunity shield could be neat in the event of being outraced, jukes like Teferi's Protection are more versatile and punishing.
  • Hey would you look at that, more Guttersnipes. Erebor Flamesmith is yet another junior one. Fiery Inscription is an enchantment, and as such weirdly softer than the original in this deck in particular. The tempting is not super relevant, the deck is already swimming in card selection as is.
  • Slip On the Ring is one for the dedicated blink decks, and I guess the incidental temptation is not terrible to have stapled on. Still, I'm not paying two mana for a fast blink. Gilraen, Dúnedain Protector is a nice source of repeatable blink, but is summoning sick. I'm sure the card will have homes aplenty as is.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 6 months ago

WOE's main Feather consideration is Plunge into Winter. Do you want to pay an extra mana for a Niveous Wisps to get a scry on top? Honestly not a bad deal, but situations where the spell's full potential will be realised will be few and far between. A one-drop cantrip will happily occupy spare mana in the early/mid-game, being easier to sequence on top of that, and by the time there's enough resources to support a cantrip all the way around the table you are probably swimming in options. Witch's Mark would be similar to Plunge as a repeatable Thrill of Possibility, but it's a sorcery, so no go.

Red has a surprising number of targeted spells, presumably due to one of the archetypes. Flick a Coin is a bundle of all sorts of good stuff, a cantrip, a treasure, but at the rather prohibitive cost of three. Kindled Heroism is yet another cheap scry 1 option, buried deep in the pecking order by spells that actually do something on top of the selection. Monstrous Rage technically leaves behind a +1/+1 pumping aura with trample, which might be relevant in a voltron take. Stroke of Midnight is another solid three drop answer.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 months ago

Releases! Options!

WHO and the Lotr panorama cards were weirdly stacked in terms of vaguely useful cardboard. Bill Potts is a Zada at home with the once per turn clause, whereas the power of Zada comes from often chaining multiple spells together (including the Fists of Flame "Hoof" win). Courageous Resolve ends up being a three mana Shelter with an extra juke clause that's very unlikely to come into effect. The phasing double-edged sword gets its best card yet in Galadriel's Dismissal, I've decided to avoid the mechanic in the deck for now, but this is the best card for it at this time. Speaking of that, Gallifrey Falls // No More is an Eerie Interlude variant with a technically repeatable, overcosted wipe attached. Rammas Echor, Ancient Shield is cute but overcosted and inefficient. Getting extra cards from it means you're already revved up and doing quite well for yourself, and by then there are far more impressive things to spend 4 mana on. Return the Past is a perma-Past in Flames, which is honestly kind of cool. Thing is, we already have Mavinda, Students' Advocate which accomplishes most of what this would do, for half the cost, and not limited to our turn only. The War Doctor technically revs up from Feather's trigger, but ends up being a terrible Aria of Flame at home because of only doing anything when he swings. Can technically whack creatures, I guess.

LCI has fewer relevant things to mention. Ancestors' Aid is a second copy of Sudden Breakthrough. Dreadmaw's Ire ends up being a very nice piece of artifact control for decks that want to slam in with Feather, also offering +2/+2 and trample on an attacker for a measly R. Get Lost is a white goodstuff removal option, with decent spread for two mana at instant.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 days ago

MKM's commander product brings the most viable Feather card in quite a while with Unexplained Absence. Point it at something useless on your side of the board, get it back, keep on controlling things, with the morph serving as self-replacing recursion fodder if there's no token generation. It does cost four though.

Crime Novelist sauces up treasures with an extra R, and as such suffers from the same problem as Birgi and others in this W-heavy shell. Tap bad, Elegant Parlor not in. It's cute to get another Feather in Feather, Radiant Arbiter, but she gives off severe Zada at home vibes, and soon got bested as an aura copy legend by Three Dog, Galaxy News DJ. Felonious Rage is a pretty neat package of stuff for R - pump, haste, replacement on death. Hey, it's something. Sunscorched Divide is an untapped land, though one that is a little awkward with its signet returns. Nice to see the cycle completed for what it's worth, even if they may be many years past their prime. Commander Sofia Daguerre is a decent blink target to keep people off their commanders, but if that direction were to pursued I think more mileage would be gotten out of proper hatebears like Drannith Magistrate... oh, and also actually running Unexplained Absence :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”