Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Grismold - if you put in the work, you get...a big beater. Whoop-de-do. Pass.
There's a deck in my group which is all about forcibly giving people tokens and subsequently killing them off for various harm to the player. This will be pretty good in there. A tribute to the aforementioned situational utility of the new cards.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
There's a deck in my group which is all about forcibly giving people tokens and subsequently killing them off for various harm to the player. This will be pretty good in there. A tribute to the aforementioned situational utility of the new cards.
I'm sad Grismold isn't in white, because it'd be grand if you could blast people with Duneblast and Tragic Arrogance.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
That's my take on it as well. Getting big doesn't intrigue me as much as the token generation. Some might let you keep Grismold alive just so it could continue to pump out tokens. Aside from that, +1/+1 counter works with cards like Retribution of the Ancients

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

EDkYFrkXsAoAm8o.jpg
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I'm going to reserve full judgment of Flaxen Intruder and Oko until we know exactly how Adventures and Food work. So, trying to evaluate without too much speculation....

-Flaxen Intruder looks reasonable. Its main competition is other cheap creature-based artifact/enchantment removal, such as Caustic Caterpillar. Compared to the Caterpillar, you're trading the instant-speed activation for mana efficiency and speed - you can't activate it immediately (unless you have haste), and you need to actually get in for damage, but costing a total of 1 mana instead of a total of 3 mana is an upgrade. Politically, it's very possible that an opponent will be willing to take the 1 damage to destroy a mutual opponent's thing.

Welcome Home looks to be a sorcery with subtype: Adventure that you can cast. Ignoring any restrictions on it, it ought to serve as a decent mana sink - 7 mana for 3 tokens isn't great, but it can be valuable if you find yourself wanting a bit more action, and it adds a bit of upside to your 1 mana creature.

-Oko, Thief of Crowns looks interesting. Can't use the (-5) immediately, but turning an opposing general into a vanilla Elk seems potent. We don't know what Food is, but assuming that it is some sort of artifact token (similar to Treasure), then you can either make a food and trade it away, or make a food and turn it into an elk, or make something into an elk and then trade something useless (such as a random token) for it. Going food → elk → food → elk seems the simplest, since you get to make a 3/3 token every other turn. 6 loyalty on a 3 mana walker is also a lot.

Also: I love Oko's art - the haphazardly worn (presumably stolen) crown is a fantastic touch.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Oko, Thief of Crowns looks like GREAT value. for a 4 loyalty is already great, although we don't know what Food tokens do yet. The theft thing is cool, but I'm just as excited about that +1. That's a permanent effect, on a plus ability. Pretty nuts.

Flaxen Intruder seems great flavourfully. You get to decide how the story goes. The aesthetics of the card are cool too. I think at this point it's not much more than sometimes useful in this particular format, but it's still pretty cool.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Wtf is happening to my game? I got a bad feeling about this..............

Dear WotC;
Please do not turn my fave game into Hearthstone or whatever this weird ass new card format is. 😐

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Well, now we know Food tokens are artifacts with "2, , Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life."
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie

Food is.... interesting. There are certainly uses for expendable artifact tokens - Trading Post, Goblin Welder, etc. The base case - sacrificing them for lifegain - isn't great, but better than nothing. I think I would usually prefer the mana from Treasure tokens, but synergies for lifegain certainly exist.

Notably, the most common usage for Food will likely usually be to feed various synergies, which makes me expect it to be a somewhat parasitic mechanic. Depends on the individual cards though - most Energy consumers were capable of also producing their own Energy, so that may hold true here too. (will we get a Food commander this time?)

Gilded Goose is somewhat interesting as a mana producer. Obviously weaker than Birds of Paradise due to not being repeatable, but repeatable lifegain makes it a somewhat better topdeck. And, again, synergies for artifact tokens exist.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

New Cards Spoiled:
Oko, Thief of Crowns
Gilded Goose - (Food - Token | , : Sacrifice ~, you gain 3 life)
Flaxen Intruder
Golden Egg
Crystal Slipper - seems alright
Witch's Cottage
Wishful Merfolk
Witching Well - maybe?
Run Away Together - seems alright
Lovestruck Beast - included for completion's sake

So we've seen a Commander that is potentially overpowered, Arcane Signet, the new staple mana rock for many decks, and then the rest listed. Initial reaction is that Eldraine might be an under-powered set overall, with a few chase power cards. Randomly saw something about Eldraine maybe having more legendaries than usual on my FB feed, take that with a grain of salt.

Cautious, 60:40 pessimistic to optimistic right now.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 4 years ago

Now the "Eggs" archetype can reach the next level ;)

Hermes_

Rankle, Master of Pranks looks interesting, but Midnight Clock looks lame...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Clock seems powerful in theory. On-curve rock that gives you a time twister in 3 turns once you've dumped your hand. Biggest downside is that you can get wrecked by Removal. And probably too slow to be super competitive.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

maeos

Post by maeos » 4 years ago

the clock looks fun to use. its a 3 mana rock for Ux decks and has a cool ability tacked on. will probably try it with some sort of discard set up like lily of the veil or something.

Im loving the different border for the adventure cards. Also it seems like its a good way to reuse etb and ltb triggers and HOLY COW ITS A REPEATABLE SPELL!!! arguably its mildly expensive but its good if you play around it. Instant speed adventures look interesting as they would let the creature dodge removal and can do combat tricks.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

We got the Brawl Legends now.
brawl.jpg

Mookie

Welp, that's a lot of new cards revealed. Time to collect my thoughts...

- Steelbane Hydra is a bit slow, but repeatable artifact/enchantment destruction is powerful.
- Chittering Witch is an upgrade over Sengir Autocrat. Token producer and sac outlet, both of which are nice to have.
- Silverwing Squadron looks sweet, assuming it lives to attack a couple of times. Very capable of creating an army by itself, assuming sufficient opponents.
- Shimmer Dragon looks amazing. I'll take two, for Thada and Sharuum.
- Taste of Death is a bigger Barter in Blood. Not great otherwise.
- Witch's Oven is a very cheap sac outlet.
- Knight's Charge is a bit narrow, but mass reanimation effects are always worth looking at.
- Korvold, Fae-Cursed King requires some support, but is an extremely powerful draw engine. Prossh, Skyraider of Kher's new best friend?
- Alela, Artful Provocateur is a triple tribal commander - artifacts, enchantments, and fliers. Seems interesting. Also a bunch of useful keywords.
- Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale looks like a powerful Knight tribal + equipment commander, and the one I would be most interested in building of the bunch. Equip 0 combined with card draw is a very powerful combination.
- Corridor Monitor looks to be the new cheapest card to combo with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.
- Tome of Legends is a very powerful draw engine, assuming you attack or blink your commander frequently. Brago, King Eternal sends his regards.
- Piper of the Swarm is another decent token producer. Fun with Ogre Slumlord and other Rat tribal support.
- The Circle of Loyalty is potentially a powerful payoff, although also rather narrow.
- Syr Konrad, the Grim has waaaaay too much text.
- Midnight Clock is a bit slow, but I would consider it for Thada. A mana rock that turns into a Timetwister after a few turns is pretty potent. Note that it triggers on each upkeep - in a four player game, it will crack after three turns, which isn't that long.
- Rankle, Master of Pranks looks very tricksy. It's symmetric, so it's fair, right?

Overall, quite a few interesting cards, some of which I want for decks. Also lots of flavor, which is nice.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Syr Konrad, the Grim has a ton of text to convey a pretty simple idea. Any creature entering any yard or leaving yours causes damage. As someone who plays a lot of decks built around small creatures and grindy gameplans, I like it a lot. It's a decent deterrent against nuking a full GY.

Rankle, Master of Pranks fits into a lot of the same lists. Repeatable discard+edict on a single card is amazing and having the card draw on there in a pinch is useful as well.

Of the various other spoiled stuff, knights look like they're getting heavy support. They've always been a fringe tribe waiting for a breakout moment, so that could be fun. Looking forward to getting some more use out of Knight Exemplar and Haakon, Stromgald Scourge. Also, Belle of the Brawl (may not be in the spoilers here yet, check the Arena brawl card dump) is the best card name in a while.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Shimmer Dragon is close to Smothering Tithe, in the sense that it's going to immediately be a double digit cost cards based solely on it's demand from Commander. And the reason that I'm ONLY "pretty" sure is that it could definitely be standard playable.

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

I'm loving the aesthetics of the new set, especially the adventure cards! I'm hoping I'll get a good one that fits in a deck of mine.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

maeos wrote:
4 years ago
Im loving the different border for the adventure cards. Also it seems like its a good way to reuse etb and ltb triggers and HOLY COW ITS A REPEATABLE SPELL!!! arguably its mildly expensive but its good if you play around it. Instant speed adventures look interesting as they would let the creature dodge removal and can do combat tricks.
I think you may be misunderstanding adventure (understandable, since the mechanics article explaining it was published this morning). You can cast the adventure half from hand and it will exile itself on resolution instead of going to the GY. You can then cast the creature from exile. Anywhere other than in hand, the card may as well not have the adventure text.

Hermes_

bake into a pie is now my favorite card name, So,it's been years since I added a new card to my rat deck, but now i want to put Piper of the Swarm in it.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Personally, loving the flavour thus far. Seems awesome, and I know my wife is stoked to see faeries again.

I'm sort of holding out for a legendary witch somewhere in the set. If there's any set it's this one, right?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

I'm holding out for legendary gingerbread man. With all of the food themes and the gingerbread promotion for it, I figure there's an actual chance I get that one.

maeos

Post by maeos » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I think you may be misunderstanding adventure (understandable, since the mechanics article explaining it was published this morning). You can cast the adventure half from hand and it will exile itself on resolution instead of going to the GY. You can then cast the creature from exile. Anywhere other than in hand, the card may as well not have the adventure text.
FML ... i thought you cast the spell once the creature was on the battlefield T.T welp there goes my hopes and dreams of a recurring spell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”