as one of the guys in my group said "it's :cussing: Jason Bourne"
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Thoughts:
  • Meld Urza is ridiculous and I love it. Six abilities!!!!?! And if you use Urza's Power Plant and friends to flip him, that means you've assembled Urzatrontron, which is sweet. The Mightstone and Weakstone is pretty solid by itself - Hedron Archive that draws cards immediately seems solid, although the 'can't cast nonartifact spells' limits the decks it makes sense in significantly. May need a judge ruling re: what its color identity is though - I assume uw?
  • Queen Kayla bin-Kroog is also a very solid card advantage engine, assuming you have creatures / artifacts to put into play.
  • Recruitment Officer amuses me, although I suspect it's more of a cube card than an EDH one. Still, looks nice.
Also: previewing three different sets in three weeks is too much. WotC, please stop. @_@

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Thoughts:
  • Meld Urza is ridiculous and I love it. Six abilities!!!!?! And if you use Urza's Power Plant
I just realized that the power plant is the only one I'm missing

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

I love that meld is back! I think this is how it should be used; like a gimmicky thing for a high-profile card once in a while.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I mean, it's okay, but it's nowhere near the power of the original Mightstone and Weakstone. They really did right by those crucial story-related cards back in the day.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

The Mightstone and Weakstone can't produce mana for nonartifact spells, but it can be used for nonartifact abilities, including Urza, Lord Protector, so if you have 4 mana(-1 for Urza's ability) for Might&Weakstone then the next turn you should have 7 mana to meld as long as you hit a land drop. So you could do turn 3 Urza, Turn 4 the stones, and turn 5 meld them.

I guess if Urza is your commander and someone exiles the Might/Weakstone you won't be able to meld.

I think the same thing applies is someone exiles the melded planeswalker.
Last edited by NZB2323 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Meld Urza is pretty wacky, but I kinda like the design. Sure, you can dump a bunch mana into this and the stones and make an Uber Walker, but you can only do it once without doing Pull from Eternity stunts. So you really have to time it right instead of mindlessly ramping & tutoring to spew it out as quickly as possible.

Not my kind of cardboard, but it's more interesting than the last Urza card they printed.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Thank God for the unrelenting spoiler cycle. In a week I won't remember that Unfinity exists.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Thank God for the unrelenting spoiler cycle. In a week I won't remember that Unfinity exists.
For reals though. I get that Un-sets are meant to be silly... but adding stickers to your cards? Wtf?

The new Urza looks absolutely AMAZING. It's abilities are on par with the lore, and being able to double up on his first ability could lead to some insane Storm-like turns in Azorius colors. I also like that it synergizes with its non-artifact version as well to make some more Mox Sapphires. Very powerful card that opens up a new color for Urza I'd be fond of exploring.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

I don't like these flash-forward mini previews. 40K hasn't even hit the shelves yet and here I am being bombarded with teasers about a product 1.5 months away. It adds to spoiler fatigue by reducing cohesion in the hype train. Let sets have their moments in the sun, dammit :P

That said, this new set is very much after my wallet. I have two decks which I keep fully proxy-free, and even sometimes get them some special treatments. Thing is, I already skipped the old-bordered fetchlands for Daxos, so I don't feel quite as implored to pick up whatever appears in the old border this time around. Patron is a different story, so far I've got a 100% rate of acquiring the new old border printings, so we'll see whether this set puts anything in there.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Oooh baby old-bordered Skullclamp for Grismold!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I just realized I have to give credit where credit is due to Queen Kayla bin-Kroog. Any time a RW legend isn't just more Boros trash it deserves praise.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
I don't like these flash-forward mini previews. 40K hasn't even hit the shelves yet and here I am being bombarded with teasers about a product 1.5 months away. It adds to spoiler fatigue by reducing cohesion in the hype train. Let sets have their moments in the sun, dammit :P

That said, this new set is very much after my wallet. I have two decks which I keep fully proxy-free, and even sometimes get them some special treatments. Thing is, I already skipped the old-bordered fetchlands for Daxos, so I don't feel quite as implored to pick up whatever appears in the old border this time around. Patron is a different story, so far I've got a 100% rate of acquiring the new old border printings, so we'll see whether this set puts anything in there.
The nice part is that the old borders are part of the commander deck releases for the set, so they'll be easier/more consistently attainable. I hope.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
I just realized I have to give credit where credit is due to Queen Kayla bin-Kroog. Any time a RW legend isn't just more Boros trash it deserves praise.
True, even though her being Rakdos would work better with madness and discard synergy.

Maybe we'll get more white cards with madness? Frantic Purification and Strength of Isolation aren't the strongest cards.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
While it would be great if they could skip these, it would both screw over LGS's and get leaked anyways. They need to give retailers enough time to place pre-orders, and to do that they need to give at least *some* info so the stores can gague reactions to it. That way the LGS's isn't looking at their preorder during spoiler season going "well if I'd known they were going to have schematic artifacts reprints, I'd have doubled my order!" Plus, a lot of cards they're showing off here are promos, which are something store owners sometimes get to see anyways as part of placing their order. At the very least, they frequently leaked back when they *didn't* do these pre-beats.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Transfomer cards showing up in Brothers War https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/statu ... DeoYQ&s=19.

Cool news for fans of Magic and Transformers. I'm sure its gonna upset some people of course.

DirkGently

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
I'm sure its gonna upset some people of course.
Cringe. Is transformers still liked? I figured the movies would have cratered whatever good will remained by now.

Happily they all look pretty terrible. But my biggest question is, why do they say "convert" instead of "transform"? The easiest flavour slam-dunk of all time, no?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Happily they all look pretty terrible. But my biggest question is, why do they say "convert" instead of "transform"? The easiest flavour slam-dunk of all time, no?
It's apparently something having to do with the trademark or copyright for Transformers. By acknowledging that transforming is a verb it somehow can weaken the trademark for that product from what I saw in a random reddit comment.

DirkGently

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
It's apparently something having to do with the trademark or copyright for Transformers. By acknowledging that transforming is a verb it somehow can weaken the trademark for that product from what I saw in a random reddit comment.
Lol that's kind of amazing (if true).

Wait, is that why the heroes of the realm Optimus Prime, Inspiring Leader has such awkward wording too?

I am at least kinda glad they're available in normal-ish boosters instead of a standalone product. If I do open any (in prize packs most likely) I'll probably hold onto them, but keep them separate from my collection. So far none look very interesting as commanders anyway so it's no great loss.
Last edited by DirkGently 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
So much text on the transformers cards that I got bored and gave up reading them.
This. They remind me a bit of Plargg, Dean of Chaos // Augusta, Dean of Order and the other MDFC legends, which had a similar problem.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Starscream caring about monarch is TREMENDOUS flavor.

These cards would be neat additions for my collection. I doubt I would play them unless we got Universes Within versions, though…it still feels wrong to me to play other major franchise cards in MTG. (I use my extended border Gyruda and not my Gigan version, for example.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
According to Maro, this is a rules thing. That said, reading the rules myself, it does appear to be possible to cast a TDFC card transformed, so... yeah.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

White seems to be getting some love, Recruitment Officer seems good. Maybe one of these days white players will stop complaining.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
I'm sure its gonna upset some people of course.
Cringe. Is transformers still liked? I figured the movies would have cratered whatever good will remained by now.

The Bumblebee movie got back a ton of goodwill and just like Power Rangers,TF is one of those never really goes away franchises.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”