August MCC, Finals - Two Itchy Trigger Fingers

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Strionic Resonator, by Noah Bradley and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
August MCC, Finals - Two Itchy Trigger Fingers

Welcome to the August MCC! It's Triggered Abilities Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a permanent card with two or more triggered abilities, and no static or activated abilities
Subchallenge 1: Your card has the numbers "seven/7" and/or "thirteen/13" in its text
Subchallenge 2: Your card is colorless but not an artifact

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, September 24th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Monday, September 26th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

Players:
@slimytrout
@Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just going to give a quick reminder to both @slimytrout and @Henlock - The provisional deadline is in about 36 hours.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Inscrutable Pilgrim 2
Creature — Shapeshifter (U)
Whenever Inscrutable Pilgrim attacks, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
Threshold - Whenever Inscrutable Pilgrim becomes blocked, if there are seven or more cards in your graveyard, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, Inscrutable Pilgrim's base power and toughness become equal to that card's mana value until end of turn.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Giving another reminder to @Henlock.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Henlock One more bump.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Will try to get this done tomorrow. Sorry about the delay

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

The Peristatic Field
Legendary Land (r)
When The Peristatic Field enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Whenever you become the target of a spell, add one mana of the chosen color.
Nothing stokes the desire of peeking in like being told to keep out.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, that will do it - time for me to judge and determine the champion!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy appreciates the sheer size this card can get to, but is disappointed it's only when blocked. Effects like these have Jxnny interested in things like forced blocks and trample. Spike would need a fairly specific setup to use this card - there are usually better options for pure looting per se and Spike would regard the other ability as marginal.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Sure, there's a little bit of complication here but nothing never seen before.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Not too much for uncommon and honestly I get the colorless feel here; GU would be one potential option if this were a colored card.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing objectionable. The threshold effect here primarily lets this - well, stay unblocked.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Nothing unprecedented, but also some interesting ideas.
(2/3) Flavor - Maybe flavor text would have helped here. The name is suitably mysterious however.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine by me.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - No issue.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 20.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Almost a pure Jxnny card. The effect is too narrow for Txmmy and not consistent enough for Spike imho, but it could be tempted versus burn.
(3/3) Elegance - No issues here as intended, but I have some quibbles quality-wise to be addressed later-on.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a land and definitely odd enough for rare.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - this is theoretically a combo card, but one where the applications are hardly obvious. Defensively, it does have the aforementioned potential against burn decks.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A deeply, deeply unusual ability for a land, particularly for one with no activated abilities. This feels old-school and Future Sight-y at once.
(3/3) Flavor - Abstract, but I like it. Makes you think.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Choose a color" abilities on permanents are formatted as "As this enters" - in other words, they're static, replacement abilities, not triggered abilities.
(1.5/2) Main Challenge (*) - With that in mind, it's hard to give full points here because, normally, one of these abilities would not BE triggered.
(1/2) Subchallenges - No 7 or 13.

Total: 20.5/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The result here is a tie. Congratulations to both co-winners @slimytrout and @Henlock!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”