Yurlok Huggy Boy

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Here's the updated list
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/yurlok-of-sc ... 94/Gallery

I got a Yurlok of Scorch Thrash etched foil and have been itching to make it into a deck. This is kind of a smash up of my old Jaya Ballard, Task Mage with some group hug subthemes. The idea is to get people to flood the board with stuff and then snipe a win with Insurrection or Reverberate. Alternatively, get into a 1v1 and burn out the last player with a ton of Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle triggers. The goal of this deck is to be lower power but to keep more degenerate decks in line with a huge pile of removal.

List as of 07.05.2023
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by materpillar 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 9 months ago

@DirkGently I saw you weren't a fan of group hug lists at all. I'm curious to know if this list is properly (in your opinion) using group hug stuff even without any specific way to break parity. Unless you call getting people to over extend into Insurrection or Vicious Shadows breaking parity, but I think in the other thread you explained that as getting more card advantage out of your group hug effects.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 9 months ago

materpillar wrote:
9 months ago
@DirkGently I saw you weren't a fan of group hug lists at all. I'm curious to know if this list is properly (in your opinion) using group hug stuff even without any specific way to break parity. Unless you call getting people to over extend into Insurrection or Vicious Shadows breaking parity, but I think in the other thread you explained that as getting more card advantage out of your group hug effects.
While it's true that I'm not a fan of group hug decks, my point in the other thread isn't that I don't like them, it's that group hug - at least in the way it's commonly considered - isn't a strategy. It's an attribute of a deck, sure, but it says approximately nothing about the strategic aims of the deck.

Not sure what you mean about "properly using group hug stuff". So long as you're still playing to win - because playing to win is imo necessary for the game to be a game - there's nothing wrong with using hug stuff, even if I don't personally like it.

If you're asking me how I'd categorize it, honestly it's hard for me to glean information quickly from the way the decklist is presented - I need the cards grouped by function in order to quickly "get" what the deck is doing. But if the main wincons are insurrection or vicious shadows, I'd say that sounds closest to combo to me? The taxonomy isn't always precise.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
If you're asking me how I'd categorize it, honestly it's hard for me to glean information quickly from the way the decklist is presented - I need the cards grouped by function in order to quickly "get" what the deck is doing. But if the main wincons are insurrection or vicious shadows, I'd say that sounds closest to combo to me? The taxonomy isn't always precise.
I have reorganized the decklist. Some of the cards have multiple purposes, so I jammed them in what I thought was their primary goal.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

Yeah I think I'd still say combo. You're looking for certain specific cards that have synergies with the rest of the deck (albeit not strong synergies). Probably combo control since it does have a lot of removal to block enemy threats.

Of course it's not too difficult to build a deck that vexes that taxonomy. Stick 60 completely random nonlands into a deck and what is the strategy? I think you can broadly split decks into aggro and control by whether they're playing for the short game or long game, or alternatively whether they're primarily focused on killing the opponent or preventing the opponent from killing them. Of course in multiplayer things tend to get a lot muddier in that regard. And you could split roughly between combo and goodstuff by whether the deck is relying on specific synergies with specific cards, or if it's playing low-synergy, high-power cards. Anything more specific than that, though, things start to get pretty ad hoc imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
While it's true that I'm not a fan of group hug decks, my point in the other thread isn't that I don't like them, it's that group hug - at least in the way it's commonly considered - isn't a strategy. It's an attribute of a deck, sure, but it says approximately nothing about the strategic aims of the deck.
DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
Yeah I think I'd still say combo. You're looking for certain specific cards that have synergies with the rest of the deck (albeit not strong synergies). Probably combo control since it does have a lot of removal to block enemy threats.
I think of group hug as trying to provide a massive influx of resources to every player at the table, usually massively speeding up how fast people start dropping threats. The "normal" group hug deck does that but doesn't actually have an endgame strategy/plan other than losing after causing pandemonium. This deck is explicitly trying to do the standard early/mid-game group hug strategy of providing everyone an over abundance of resources, but instead of kinda just rolling over and dying like "normal" group hug decks it tries to piggy back off opposing haymakers for the win.

Group-Hug is just kinda reverse Stax. I assume you think that Stax is a strategy or do you just call that a type of control?

I have pondered slightly and it amuses me how poorly this deck lines up against Phelddagrif.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

materpillar wrote:
8 months ago
I think of group hug as trying to provide a massive influx of resources to every player at the table, usually massively speeding up how fast people start dropping threats. The "normal" group hug deck does that but doesn't actually have an endgame strategy/plan other than losing after causing pandemonium. This deck is explicitly trying to do the standard early/mid-game group hug strategy of providing everyone an over abundance of resources, but instead of kinda just rolling over and dying like "normal" group hug decks it tries to piggy back off opposing haymakers for the win.

Group-Hug is just kinda reverse Stax. I assume you think that Stax is a strategy or do you just call that a type of control?

I have pondered slightly and it amuses me how poorly this deck lines up against Phelddagrif.
Stax is a subset of control.

There are two big differences between stax and hug as strategies (or "strategies"):

1) Preventing your opponent from doing things is positive for you. The less your opponent can do, the more powerful you are relatively speaking. Whereas giving your opponent resources, without further explanation, doesn't benefit you.

2) Stax as an archetype is well established and involves ways to break the symmetry to win - the specific wincon may vary, but the most significant part of the plan is hamstringing the opponent, which is why the archetype is named after it. Hug, as a "established archetype", doesn't have a consistent way that it uses hugging towards any larger plan, and some hug decks have no plan to win at all. So when someone says their "strategy" is hug, again, that really says next-to-nothing about their game plan. Whereas stax says quite a lot.

So both in concept, and in concrete form, hug doesn't constitute a strategy. If you wanted to describe what the strategy of this deck is by way of hugging, you'd pretty much have to describe the entire game plan of the deck, at which point categorization is no longer useful.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”