[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Card of the Day 2019-08-30: >

Silent Archon {4}{W}{W}
Creature – Archon (R)
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile target nonland permanent that player controls.
Morph {3}{W}{W} (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
4/4

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-08-31: >

Unyielding Legion {1}{R}{W}
Creature – Human Soldier Army (R)
~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your graveyard or on the battlefield, amass 1 and ~ deals 1 damage to you.
0/0

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-01: >

Dwarven Engineer {1}{R}
Creature – Dwarf Artificer (C)
{R}, {T}, Discard a card: Draw a card.
{T}, Discard a Trap card: Draw a card.
1/1

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I like the salvage implications of Dwarven Engineer. I get the mental image of them dismantling traps found deep in Zendikar's mountains for scrap to build more useful stuff.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-02: >

Sardonic Hireblade {2}{B}
Creature – Vampire Assassin (C)
Lifelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to gain that much life.)
{T}: Target player loses 3 life. Activate this ability only if you gained 3 or more life this turn.
1/3

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-03: >

Urza's Miner {3}
Artifact Creature – Assembly-Worker (U)
~ gets +2/+2 and has haste as long as you control a creature named Urza's Operator and a creature named Urza's Overseer.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Undying Legion feels a little odd and Army was never meant to appear on nontoken typelines, but at the same time, I see you've thought very cleverly. I'm not sure the flavor works exactly - amass seemed like it worked pretty specifically with the notion of the invading Eternals in WAR, but maybe you could recontextualize it.

Dwarven Engineer is awesome, Sardonic Hireblade works well - I guess these are both meant to be Zendikari (or not, because of the Dwarf?). Lifegain is a tried and true Limited theme for Vampires.

Urza's Miner made me smile big.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

Smiles are good. Telling me about them is appreciated. That's how I feed my self-worth. : ) Thanks for the comments, smiling and critical both.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Undying Legion feels a little odd and Army was never meant to appear on nontoken typelines, but at the same time, I see you've thought very cleverly. I'm not sure the flavor works exactly - amass seemed like it worked pretty specifically with the notion of the invading Eternals in WAR, but maybe you could recontextualize it.
"Army was never meant to appear on nontoken typelines" is enitrely true, but look at all the great things that custom card design (and canon card design) does by using stuff in unintended ways. Testing out morph on noncreature cards, hideaway on nonland cards. There is only one token creature type in my mind. And that holy cow is definitely more problematic.

I am really, really aware that on this particular card I just made a subpar choice by hoping everyone would be as tickled as me that this is the same colors as Firemane Angel and because I wanted to try a very, very different flavor approach to amass: Living soldiers that are just so dutiful, they keep coming from the grave. This shift away in focus from "Zombie horde that is also an Army" to "Army that eventually is also a Zombie" was my attempt at re-contextualization. It feels less like an invasive threat to me that way as well, but opinions may differ.

The flavor of amass as a word also quite specifically cares more about Army than Zombie, which is the only reason that keyword action is even on the card and IMO works. Amassing an Army of living is still thematically consistent.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Dwarven Engineer is awesome, Sardonic Hireblade works well - I guess these are both meant to be Zendikari (or not, because of the Dwarf?). Lifegain is a tried and true Limited theme for Vampires.
I imagine reprints can happen between worlds, but neither of these actually were meant for Zendikar. As you noted I chose Dwarf, intentionally, as a creature type that doesn't appear on Zendikar, because I like putting mechanics and subtypes in a new context. Trap would e. g. be a neat subtype to but on certain spells if they ever make instant/sorcery cards with morph (now that manifest already forced them to clarify some of the rules that used to be in the way). But on the other hand that card was specifically designed to work well with existing Trap concepts if you have no hope of them being "triggered" (Disclaimer: I am aware the Trap ability is not a triggered ability).

Sardonic Hireblade though... I don't think the flavor I created works for Zendikar. I imagined a world more in tune with the flavor often associated with Street Wraith. As mentioned before tribal identities being consistent across planes in some ways is not entirely bad.

Card of the Day 2019-09-04: >

Nihilatog {1}{C}
Creature – Atog Processor (C)
Bury two exiled cards owned by opponents: ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/2

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

Trap support is a cool thing that needed to exist (still does!), and Urza's Miner is just kind of fun.

Nihilatog is an odd crossover, maybe because "Processor" is so strongly tied to the Eldrazi, that a creature whose species is something else and also not Eldrazi looks weird, but each creature type is tied to a subset of mechanics (Atogs: Sacrifice thing, get +2/+2; Processors: return cards from opponent's exile to graveyard, get thing). Depending on what you're playing against, that is kind of a sacrifice. It does what it's supposed to quite nicely.

I thought it was slightly undercosted, but I looked, and of the original (pre-Odyssey) atogs, only Necratog and Foratog are 3-drops. Huh! (And Foratog costs mana to activate? What the hell, why is this one so much more resource-intensive than the others? It's not like Mirage was a super weak set, either -- kind of middle-of-the-road iirc)

SecretInfiltrator

Oh, the mana in Foratog is easily explained. They had a habit of doing that for abilities that sacrifice lands rather than put in "Sacrifice an untapped Forest". And lands are so fundamental to the games economy that making the distinction is often advisable.

Card of the Day 2019-09-05: >

Flamewild Aurochs {4}{R}{G}
Creature – Aurochs Elemental (R)
Trample, haste
At the beginning of combat during your turn, create a token that's a copy of ~. Exile that token at end of combat.
Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each attacking Aurochs and/or Elemental.
1/4

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Gotta love those Aurochs. Been fans of them since Ice Age, and I am happy we got more in Coldsnap. Bring on the Aurochs!
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-06: >

Soul Servant {3}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}
Creature – Avatar (M)
Lifelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to gain that much life.)
Pay 1 life: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to ~.
When things get personal, make them very personal.
6/6

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ooh, and interesting update on Personal Incarnation. I like.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-07: >

Thirsting-Blade Assassin {2}{B}
Creature – Azra Assassin (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may discard a card. If you do, target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of Assassin cards in your graveyard.
Vengeance is a thirst that cannot be quenched.
3/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-08: >

Bristling Badger {1}{G}
Creature – Badger (C)
If ~ fights, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn before it fights.
2/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Card of the Day 2019-09-08: >

Bristling Badger {1}{G}
Creature – Badger (C)
If ~ fights, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn before it fights.
2/2
Love the badger, and I am not just saying that because I posted a bunch of badger related cards the other day. :grin:

Seriously, it is a good, solid common that has a nice payoff if you manage to trigger its ability. Nice work.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-09: >

Raiding Horde {5}{R}{G}
Creature – Human Barbarian (R)
Trample
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures your team controls plus the number of lands your team controls.
The thunder of thousands of hooves heralds a storm that will tear apart armies and reduce kingdoms to rubble.
*/*

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Love the badger, and I am not just saying that because I posted a bunch of badger related cards the other day. :grin:
After seeing that thread I knew I had a audience to please. ; )

Card of the Day 2019-09-10: >

Entrancing Basilisk {2}{G}
Creature – Basilisk (R)
{1}{U}: Target creature blocks this turn if able.
{1}{B}: ~ gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/4

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
After seeing that thread I knew I had a audience to please. ; )

Card of the Day 2019-09-10: >

Entrancing Basilisk {2}{G}
Creature – Basilisk (R)
{1}{U}: Target creature blocks this turn if able.
{1}{B}: ~ gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/4
Only mustelid better than a badger is a wolverine, and that is entirely because of Johnathan. (And if you get that reference, you my good sir, are a nerd. And that is awesome. :grin: )

As for the Basilisk, I like it. Feels like blue could easily be swapped for red if the set needs it, or eliminated completely. Interesting that the ability doesn't force the creature to block the Basilisk though, which could lead to some interesting shenanigans.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2019-09-11: >

Shadowveil Bat {2}{B}
Creature – Bat (U)
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, you may pay {3}{B} and return ~ to its owner's hand. If you do, you may put a Vampire card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
2/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Oh man, the FLAVOR on that. I think you could drop the antininjutsu cost to 2B?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Oh man, the FLAVOR on that. I think you could drop the antininjutsu cost to 2B?
I probably could go even further if I really took a hard look at all Vampires, but I always feel so save with three mana initial investment plus four mana second step. It lets you curve out which in itself is a nice feeling. : )

Card of the Day 2019-09-12: >

Runeclaw Elder {2}{G}{G}
Creature – Bear Shaman (R)
Whenever ~ or a green 2/2 creature without abilities enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card. Then, if you control ten or more green 2/2 creatures without abilities with different names, you win the game.
Primal {1}{G} (You may cast this spell for its primal cost. If you do, it has no abilities.)
2/2

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Now that is a very cool card, but I'm a sucker for alt win-cons. I do like Primal though, it's a good way to make vanilla matters work while also having cards that do things.

Is the aim to win with specifically 2/2's, or would a 1/1 with a +1/+1 counter be allowed?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Now that is a very cool card, but I'm a sucker for alt win-cons. I do like Primal though, it's a good way to make vanilla matters work while also having cards that do things.

Is the aim to win with specifically 2/2's, or would a 1/1 with a +1/+1 counter be allowed?

Dragonlover
Well, a 1/1 with a +1/+1 counter and no abilities is the same as a 2/2 with no abilities when on the battlefield, so yes?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You could say "with base power and toughness 2/2" to make it more of a "true Bear win" challenge but... it's already pretty difficult, lol.

Runeclaw Elder is a fun and funny card and I like primal but maybe it needs some kind of counter as a memory aid? And maybe the alt-win ability has too many conditions? Requiring a green creature makes the "with different names" part possibly harder than it needs to be; I know the actual win part is mostly trinket/meme text and the gravy is in the card draw, but I want to be able to go off with it occasionally, y'know?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”