The 5 color tribal everything deck

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 1 year ago

I have a 5-color deck with Jegantha the wellspring as companion. It requires only 2 cards to go off, Jegantha the wellspring and Sisay, weatherlight captain, and they're both in the command zone. There's about 7 flexible spots set aside in the deck for various tribes.
It typically runs like this:

Turns 1-3: cast mana dorks/rocks, and put Jegantha in hand.
Turn 4: cast Jegantha.
Turn 5: cast Sisay, tap Jegantha to bring out derevi, empyrial tactician (untap jegantha), tap jegantha to bring out one of the kiora planeswalkers (untap jegantha), bring out oath of teferi and use kiora again to untap jegantha and bring out Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset (untap jegantha), bring out The Peregrine Dynamo. Teferi and the Dynamo can provide infinite life and untap Jegantha and any other creatures and artifacts infinitely, which allows you to bring out all the legendary permanents you want.
*Note: if you start with a bloom tender or faeburrow elder in your hand, you can skip casting Jegantha and you should combo off a turn sooner.
*Note#2: I'm currently working on a way to use the peregrine dynamo in a non-infinite manner since I prefer not to win with an infinite combo.

Switching out 7-10 cards between games results in a completely different army to smash my opponents with, like dragons or slivers.

I'm looking for suggestions on other tribes to run in this. I could do knights, vampires (Lord Xander, anyone?), pirates, angels, or whatever. Or I could do things like bring out Helm of Kaldra and its friends, then attack people with a 9/9 trampling indestructible Kaldra avatar.

Any suggestions on other 'tribes' I could use?
Tribal Everything

# The Captain

# Companion

# The Tribe

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Theoric 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Robobro72
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Robobro72 » 1 year ago

Sweet deck, might tinker around with a version of this idea. Had some questions about the general approach. I understand the need for a TON of ramp since Jegantha is essentially 8 mana but I was curious about the large density of tutors. Are the creature tutors there to grab derevi elsewhere on your curve? Grab the haste enablers? Due mostly to my budget I would probably replace them with just more redundant ramp and interaction.

Are you married to the idea of those last slots being reserved for beatdown? Especially if you are grabbing something as strong as the legendary slivers, I'm curious if there isn't or two combo pieces that could be put in those slots to just win, leaving the rest for more interaction or just fun back-up plans like Lazav, the Multifarious.

Shame that Sarkhan the Masterless can't be played with Jegantha. With Aminatou, Saheeli, Oath, and turning things into creatures there is likely some way to twin out.

EDIT: The easiest lines are with really any legend that can do blinking shenanigans with aminatou. Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God is the obvious choice (with oath, Aminatou and Nicol Bolas take turns blinking saheeli and eachother, saheeli can just burn everyone out or create infinite copies of any of your creatures). Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward almost definitely has a similar line if you want something feasible to cast from hand (and playable with Jegantha, I am dumb).

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 1 year ago

Hi Robo, thanks for the post!
Robobro72 wrote:
1 year ago
I was curious about the large density of tutors. Are the creature tutors there to grab derevi elsewhere on your curve? Grab the haste enablers? Due mostly to my budget I would probably replace them with just more redundant ramp and interaction.
They're mainly there because I like consistent decks and anyone who's played against this will kill Jegantha instantly. When that happens I'll often tutor for lazav (to copy jegantha in the gy), bloom tender, or faeburrow elder. With all the ramp and untapping planeswalkers, this deck runs smoothly without them too.
Considering that having Jegantha and Sisay on the battlefield are all you need for this deck to go off, another option for replacing the tutors is adding protection. Spellskite , mother of runes, giver of runes, tamiyo's safekeeping are four great, cheap options. Deflecting swat is pricey, but awesome as well.
Are you married to the idea of those last slots being reserved for beatdown? Especially if you are grabbing something as strong as the legendary slivers, I'm curious if there isn't or two combo pieces that could be put in those slots to just win,
If all I wanted this deck to do was win, I'd probably include things like thassa's oracle and demonic consultation.
But to me, a victory like that is a cure for insomnia. Booooorrrrring. I built this deck to PLAY, to smash face with dragons. Or slivers. Or sisay's weatherlight crew. Or whatever. This deck is competitive and consistent, but it's also fun as hell.
EDIT: The easiest lines are with really any legend that can do blinking shenanigans with aminatou. Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God is the obvious choice
I'm almost glad Nicol isn't allowed in a deck with a companion. Aminatou + Nicol + Oath of teferi + basically anything = a boring victory (to me).
Aminatou is overpowered in this deck. After jegantha (or bloom tender or faeburrow) brings out the untapping planeswalkers and oath of teferi, I bring out aminatou to flicker teferi who slows the sunset twice. Which means, teferi can untap jegantha 4 times plus I untap artifacts and lands 4 times, which means I can bring out at least 5 more legendary permanents.
Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward almost definitely has a similar line if you want something feasible to cast from hand (and playable with Jegantha.
Abdel can be amazing in this deck. I was considering him as something to cheat into play in response to a boardwipe - use him to exile your stuff so it all comes back when the boardwipe resolves. Also, considering all the mana dorks and samut (which gives haste), you could consider doing shenanigans with abdel + roon of the hidden realm to bounce stuff every turn (including derevi, which can untap Roon each time it ETB).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”