[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Leonin Shikari

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Slimefoot is an engine, and he goes well with other similar engines. Also he's a thallid in the Weatherlight crew, how fun is that? (In CCaB we had him completely ruin Mercadia one time.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

A commander after my own heart. A weird Thallid friend feels like something that should have existed in Magic long before it did, but better late than never.

Slimefoot is pleasing on many levels; it feels just right power-wise as a Legendary at Uncommon, and its design is pleasingly alien and only roughly humanoid.

I shudder at the idea of someone deciding to give it big cute endearing eyes as the "mascot" character; hopefully the artistic direction continues to prevail.

Here's to seeig Slimefoot in the next Dominaria set, perhaps even branching into Muldrotha colors?

I hope to see a legendary Thrull friend too!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

It has one interesting application. That says "damage" not "loses life". Fun times with infect?

You can also use lifelink or Snake Umbra to benefit from the fact that it does damage.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Tuesday, August 9th, 2022; Angelic Guardian

...why is this a $6 card from M20? Especially when you can get the M19 version for a dollar.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@3drinks The collector number is 302/280, so it's probably from and due to an undersold supplementary product like theme boosters. Scarcity begets value, even for garbage limited bombs such as this.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

hyalopterouslemur

I mean, this has value in a token deck, just because mass indestructible: You can alpha strike, and then wrath. And (outside of creatures with wither or infect) nothing can hurt your creatures. But she is kinda niche.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Yeah, this looks to be an availability thing - Angelic Guardian wasn't printed in the main set. Looking around, it appears to have come from the starter / welcome decks, which don't look to be particularly high in circulation. Still odd that the price disparity is so large though.

Anyway, Angelic Guardian is roughly what I'd expect from an into pack-style rare - a reasonable and somewhat splashy effect, but on an overcosted / inefficient body. Granting your creatures indestructible is certainly good, but when you have roughly the same effect on the cheaper Dolmen Gate and Iroas, God of Victory... or even Reconnaissance. Letting your creatures survive combat is not a particularly difficult thing to do. I guess one upside of Angelic Guardian is that you can have your creatures survive any board wipes you want to cast post-combat... but if you're playing a particularly aggressive deck that wants this effect, you'll probably also be light on board wipes.

...looking at other options, I'll call out Angelic Skirmisher and Victory's Herald as two other combat-buff angels. Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Sephara, Sky's Blade are two more powerful sources of indestructibility, or you could use Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Don't use intro pack rares in normal Constructed decks, generally. I know this card was not the face rare of its starter deck, but still - Mookie just listed some Angels that buff your creatures in combat en masse, and nobody needs that much redundancy for those.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

US prices sure are whacky. In eu both versions cost about 2€. m19 version is foil by default. Foil version don't have reminder text and have flavor text.

I wonder if I should add this to me bird collection?

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

I built my wife a Kaalia of the Vast deck that had Avacyn, Angel of Hope as a secret commander and a bunch of board wipes. The deck had Angelic Guardian as a Avacyn backup.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

As someone running a dual tribal angel deck, this isn't even in the running. Avacyn is amazing for resilience but this isn't, and the reason is that protection during just one part of one turn isn't enough, or even really relevant. If you're on tribe you're mostly smacking face because flying. If you're not, there's better keywords to have in combat specifically.

For me, I compare this to Angelic Skirmisher which gives your fellas your choice of keyword every single combat. You're never short of blockers, you stand to benefit from combat almost every turn in a cycle and makes almost every combat step favor you. Comparatively, Guardian just isn't it at all.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Wednesday, August 10th, 2022; Imp's Mischief

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I have a few of these from when Planar Chaos was released. Don't think I ever really used them for anything. I really should put this in mono-black since it is a relatively unique effect. Been meaning to sell off the extras since it missed the Time Spiral Remastered reprint, but local events all but dried up.

With how popular Deflecting Swat is, I should really give this a fair shake in decks without Counterspell, Heroic Intervention, Teferi's Protection or Deflecting Swat... So I guess mono-black?

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I'm glad more people don't play it because it still feels special when I do. I only have the one copy and do run it in mono-black. Never been disappointed to draw it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

While it's not generally a card that leads to a total blowout, the price is right and it's extremely unpredictable. Most of the time I pair B with U so I don't make use of this card very often, but I strongly consider it any time I'm not in U or R.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No one ever predicts me redirecting something big in Firja.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

I wish this card wasn't so expensive, otherwise I'd definitely pick one up. It's a fun card as it's obviously a colour break (planar chaos was such a treat), so no one will expect it :p
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

I always want to give this a shot but it feels kinda good stuffy. Red and blue decks have better ways to do this. I don't really play mono-B, BG or BW

Never seen it cast either which is a shame.

Mookie

I like the idea of Imp's Mischief - it's a unique effect and certainly capable of blowouts - but I don't really see myself ever running it. Redirect effects are pretty niche, and significantly more limited than both counter and copy effects, since many of the most impactful and threatening spells are untargeted. You can't redirect a board wipe, or mass reanimation, or Torment of Hailfire, or Genesis Wave... the primary use case is redirecting a removal spell pointed at a key permanent, but given that black also has access to reanimation (for creatures, at least), I don't value protecting creatures that highly in black decks (and running Imp's Mischief to protect your stuff from artifact/enchantment removal feels... even more niche).

...so yeah, not a card I see often, but certainly capable of blowouts in the rare situation where it is relevant, if only because no one will be expecting it.

hyalopterouslemur

Can be useful in some situations. Generally not as good as being able to grant shroud or hexproof, but I have stolen an Eldrazi Conscription that was scheduled for Uril, the Miststalker and insteasd going to my Vampire Nighthawk and not even cared that I paid 8 life. Since, you know, 17/17 flampler Commander is a huge deal, but so is 12/13 flying deathtouch and I gain that 12 life back even as my opponent's effectively on a four-turn clock.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I've always wanted to steal a time warp with one of the various shunt effects, but to this day the opportunity has never presented itself. Someday.

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I've always wanted to steal a time warp with one of the various shunt effects, but to this day the opportunity has never presented itself. Someday.
Why stop there? Live the dream and respond to Time Stretch with Wild Ricochet.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Imp's Mischief is one of my favourite cards. It appeals to me as a Magic player, and as a person. I've been playing my one copy for almost as long as I've been playing EDH; about 10 years.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I'll climb the Mt. Everest of Misdirection effects when I'm good and ready. Quit pressuring me, George Mallory!

Mookie

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I'll climb the Mt. Everest of Misdirection effects when I'm good and ready. Quit pressuring me, George Mallory!
The last time I hit an extra turn spell with Reverberate, so did both the other players at the table. >.> My current opinion of copying extra turns is thus currently 'overrated'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”