Random Card of the Day: Talisman of Conviction

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

A latter-day Goblin Grenade - and those are both cards that are stupendously strong in the decks that use them.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RabidVacin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RabidVacin » 1 year ago

7/27/22 Lorthos, the Tidemaker

That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

The best payoff that ever came out of my friends and I spending 30 minutes digging through my bulk to make decks. I played this in a ramping UG deck and fought off multiple lords of the pit with this card.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 1 year ago

RabidVacin wrote:
1 year ago
7/26/22 Shrapnel Blast
powerful damage that can end the game. Used it for a long time in Affinity.

@Ulka

that's cool. Although high investment of always having 8 mana up during the opponent's turn. I guess it's doable, since you're using a ramp deck.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

RabidVacin

7/28/22 Natural Spring

This card will always have a special place in my heart. There was this one time where we were having a mini master. There were multiple times where someone would question this guy about his life total. He was this big, bearded guy and each time they questioned him, he would say in a gruff voice, "I gained eight." For years, we would randomly say "I gained eight."

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 1 year ago

life gain brings back some nostalgic memories. During my noob years.. was using a domain deck during a serious game, gained 8 life off from a wandering stream and I thought that was a good move. Was new to mtg, so I thought gaining life is good. Not sure anymore, but it might be also the same game I cast a breath of darigaaz kicked which killed off most of the green weenies the opponent had. The life from the stream helped me withstand the 4 damage from the breath. :P
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

RabidVacin

7/29/22 Silent-Chant Zubera

RabidVacin

8/01/22 Nether Shadow

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

There is a Nether Shadow variant in every block. Also, first black creature (first ever creature) with haste! Imagine that - haste debuted in black and green.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RabidVacin

8/02/22 Righteousness

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Back in the day, it was a!ma!zing! to think your little 1/1 Benalish Hero could stand up to a fiendish Lord of the Pit or Force of Nature -- and maybe even live to tell the tale! Unfortunately, Benny can't actually block LotP, and with STP being the same mana cost but better result, ummm, err....

I want to like Hold the Line, its Kamigawan older brother, It's got some of the same flaws: blocking is for chumps -- pun intended.

RabidVacin

8/03/22 Krosan Verge

RabidVacin

8/04/22 Woodland Stream

RabidVacin

8/05/22 Birthing Pod

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 year ago

Well, this card is still pretty good. Spawned a cEDH archetype (blood-pod) and I encounter it in my opponents EDH decks from time to time.

RabidVacin

8/08/22 Iizuka the Ruthless

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Those are some really steep costs. Obviously mass double strike is very good, but unfortunately it's hard to justify Iizuka in even the most dedicated Samurai decks. (Fumiko the Lowblood is the better and more interesting red Samurai legend.)

RabidVacin

8/09/22 Catti-brie of Mithral Hall

RabidVacin

8/10/22 Hasran Ogress

RabidVacin

8/11/22 Hidden Horror

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Catti-Brie is actually awesome. These latter two black drawback virtual-vanillas are less inspiring, but Hidden Horror could be a madness enabler at the casual table.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Hidden Horror + Reassembling Skeleton or Nether Spirit, etc., etc.

More importantly: shouldn't Hasran Ogress have the image from Arabian Nights? That looks like the white-bordered reprint from Chronicles, methinks. (Complete with a little foxing at the corners, Agent Coulson....)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
More importantly: shouldn't Hasran Ogress have the image from Arabian Nights?
Not unless I do this.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

i got a little microformat going where we use exclusively old cards with a severe budget limit as well as a slot layout (default is Fourth Edition, need at least five cards from FE/HL, can't concentrate too highly on IA/AL/MI/VI or chronicles-era stuff, anything later than those sets can only be run singleton, etc) and Hasran Ogress seriously overperforms :)) Arabian Nights was good for creatures with "pushed" p/t in exchange for mechanical disadvantages and running as many as you can puts you ahead of the wall decks, the regeneration decks, the mostly creatureless control decks etc. also being in black, in this format, gives you the chance to run either Hymn to Tourach or the cool pump knight, then maybe 1x Drudge Spell to give yrself a random chance at a big comeback down the line, plus you're in Ashen Ghoul colours, you can rely on Pestilence or Drain Life... basically black is the best colour to a massive degree lol

RabidVacin

8/12/22 Foriysian Brigade

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”