Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL August Signups/Round 1

"Alpha Howl"

Anara, Wolvid Familiar, taken from here on MTGNexus, by Jesper Ejsing and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Animals Month in the CCL! Time to make designs featuring furry friends, feathered ones, scaly ones, and otherwise.

Challenge
Design a legendary Wolf creature card
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, August 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 30th)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Istvan's Cur -- 1BBB
Legendary Creature - Wolf {R}
When Istvan's Cur enters the battlefield, it fights target creature, then fights target creature, then fights another target creature.
2/3
Not My Submission
Show
Hide
Woolfolk Hunter -- 2RR
Creature - Wolf
Forecast -- W, Reveal this card in your hand: Create a 0/2 white Sheep creature token with defender. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep, and once per turn.)
Devour Sheep (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of sheep. It enters with a +1/+1 counter for each Sheep devoured this way.)
As long as Woolfolk Hunter has a +1/+1 counter on it, it has haste.
As long as Woolfolk Hunter has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has doublestrike.
3/3
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Uromi, Contested Alpha 2RG
Legendary Creature - Wolf (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player creates two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens, then Uromi, Contested Alpha fights each of them, one at a time.
8/8

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Edu, Harbinger of the Thousandth Moon 1g
Legendary Creature - Wolf (m)
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
Choose a Background. (You can have a Background as an additional commander.)
Partner and Background chosen with Edu, Harbinger of the Thousandth Moon must share all of its colors.
Permanents on the battlefield cannot be returned to their owner's hand.
2/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Scowler, Night Villain
Legendary Creature - Wolf (Mythic Rare)
Menace
Wolf creatures you control get +2/+2.
Whenever another nontoken Wolf creature enters the battlefield under your control, destroy up to one target creature. This ability only triggers once during your turn.
3/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Attara, Pouncing Lycocampus 1UG
Legendary Creature - Wolf Fish (R)
Flash
Whenever you cast a spell during an opponent's turn, Attara, Pouncing Lycocampus deals damage equal to its power to up to one target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls.
3/3

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

The Omega-Mother 4UG
Legendary Creature - Fungus Wolf (M)
Other creatures you control have Evolve.
Whenever a creature you control evolves, put a +1/+1 counter on The Omega-Mother.
4/4
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Gakalza, the Righteous Howl GWU
Whenever Gakalza, the Righteous Howl attacks, untap all Wolves you control. They gain lifelink until end of turn.
Whenever you become the target of a spell or one or more creatures deal combat damage to you, create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token.
3/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Gr'Ynth, Godbiter 2RR
Legendary Creature - Wolf Avatar (Mythic)
Haste
Damage can't be prevented.
Permanents lose indestructible and can't have or gain indestructible.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Gr'Ynth deals 1 damage to that player. That player can't gain life this turn.
4/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

And that'll do it for round 1! Please critique and provide a top 3 for all other contestants - next round to come tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Reviews
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player creates two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens, then Uromi, Contested Alpha fights each of them, one at a time.
8/8
As written, "each player" includes yourself. If you consider the resultant damage equivalent to toughness reduction, this makes it an 8/4 for 4 in a 1v1, which isn't great but isn't horrible, given that it's otherwise vanilla.

In a 2v2 match, it takes itself off the board, absent toughness boosts or damage prevention. That makes it four mana for five ETB/dies triggers ... which is rather weird to see in R/G, rather than R/G.

Also -- is "one at a time" legit? It feels like the intention is to check lethal damage after each fight, but I'm not certain this would work that way unless the rules are expanded somehow.
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Partner and Background chosen with Edu, Harbinger of the Thousandth Moon must share all of its colors.
2/2
That's a lot of secondary abilities for what ends up being a no-bounce hatebear wolf. I might have opted for Companion, rather than Partner.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Scowler, Night Villain
Menace
Whenever another nontoken Wolf creature enters the battlefield under your control, destroy up to one target creature. This ability only triggers once during your turn.
3/3
The last line makes me wonder - does it trigger multiple times during other players' turns? Or is it meant to be, only during your turns, and only once during any given turn? It's a little vague.

Kinda Nekrataal++. +2/+2 is a really big boost, especially when it's taking out blockers. Isn't the more modern wording "Other Wolf creatures...."?
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Flash
Whenever you cast a spell during an opponent's turn, Attara, Pouncing Lycocampus deals damage equal to its power to up to one target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls.
3/3
Okay, Wolf Fish is kinda cute. I read the rounds Criterion as trying to get away from Werewolves. The trigger condition bos a bit toward Innistrad without being too exactly the same.

Given that it's tossing lightning bolts, an I right that the fish is an electric eel?

Mana cost should probably be one of two higher.
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
The Omega-Mother 4UG
Whenever a creature you control evolves, put a +1/+1 counter on The Omega-Mother.
4/4
It took me a while to 'get' a Fungus Wolf. I think a different name would help.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Gakalza, the Righteous Howl GWU
Whenever Gakalza, the Righteous Howl attacks, untap all Wolves you control. They gain lifelink until end of turn.
Whenever you become the target of a spell or one or more creatures deal combat damage to you, create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token.
3/3
That's a lot of Wolves at a low mana cost -- I still think token creation needs to be 1 or 2 more, but that's what I get for growing up with The Hive and Snake Basket. Giving your Wolves pseudo-vigilance is interesting, but rather thwarts the second condition of its triggered ability.

Also weird to see Wolves getting lifelink -- especially with the blue mana in its mana cost.

Overall, feels like the card could be streamlined or honed to make its intention clearer.
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Gr'Ynth, Godbiter 2RR
Haste
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Gr'Ynth deals 1 damage to that player. That player can't gain life this turn.
4/4
Like the above card, feels like it could be streamlined -- a general "Players can't gain life" is stronger, but plays out much the same way. Of its four abilities, it feels like it could lose one and still be fairly costed.
Rankings
Show
Hide
1. OmegaMother by CunningGame
2. Attara, Pouncing Lycocampus by slimytrout
3. Scowler, Night Villain by marioguy3
4. Edu, Harbinger of the Thousandth Moon by Henlock
5. Uromi, Contested Alpha by netn10
6. Gazalka, the Righteous Howl by kwanyeegor-ii
7. Gr'Ynth, Godbiter by MonoRed Mage
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Top 3:

slimytrout: I love the creature types on this thing, but the damage should limit itself to flying creatures for color pie sake.

CunningGabe: Evolve is an underrated mechanic, so nice to see here. 6 mana is perfect for a card like this even if it goes infinite somewhere.

kwanyeegor-ii: Lifelink werewolves is a new take on a popular group of creatures. Were-link would be called should Wizards mirror squirrel-link.

MonoRedMage: Questing Beast This is emulating, and I wish Wizards would print more damage prevention effects rather than print lifelink stopping effects.

netn10: Too many tokens this thing makes, but I get the idea is cool. The fighting aspect matches a flavor win.

OneandOnly: Points for the triple fight, but the wording can confuse some players due to the "another" target creature not matching the line of fight before it. So you could fight the same creature twice but not three times?

Henlock: Intriguing design, but I would not be sure the effect works in the rules. Must not like blue that much, eh?

3rd place: slimytrout
2nd place: CunningGabe
1st place: kwanyeegor-ii
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly - multiple fights is kind of interesting, but in practice this is not much different from "Deal 2 damage to 3 target creatures"

netn10 - This has an interesting flavor, but the tuning seems weird to me (or maybe there's a mistake?) In a 2-player game, if this isn't buffed right away, then you get an 8/8 blocker for a turn, then create 4 wolves that all die, killing Uromi. Maybe that's the point and you just have to buff it in order for it to survive, but I find that a bit wonky.

Henlock - The ability is interesting and makes me want to look at a bunch of cards to try to break it wide open. I feel like the whole package is a little busy though - having both Partner and Choose a Background and the restriction that they have to match colors... they kind of crowd out the really interesting ability.

marioguy3 - This is a solid commander for a wolf deck, and I like how you limited the triggered ability to one per turn to limit abuse. Maybe a little pushed.

slimytrout - I love the word "Lycocampus"! The pieces fit together really nicely here. Maybe I'd add an extra cost of 1 mana to the triggered ability.

kwanyeegor-ii - This is a nice one-card engine. This could maybe be just green and white, but I think the blue works too.

MonoRedMage - This one is dripping with flavor, even down to "Wolf Avatar". The abilities go together nicely, and the body is solid but not too pushed.

My top 3:
1. marioguy3
2. slimytrout
3. MonoRedMage

P.S. @OneAndOnly: I love your "not submission"!
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Istvan's Cur -- 1BBB
Legendary Creature - Wolf {R}
When Istvan's Cur enters the battlefield, it fights target creature, then fights target creature, then fights another target creature.
2/3
Not My Submission
Show
Hide
Woolfolk Hunter -- 2RR
Creature - Wolf
Forecast -- W, Reveal this card in your hand: Create a 0/2 white Sheep creature token with defender. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep, and once per turn.)
Devour Sheep (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of sheep. It enters with a +1/+1 counter for each Sheep devoured this way.)
As long as Woolfolk Hunter has a +1/+1 counter on it, it has haste.
As long as Woolfolk Hunter has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has doublestrike.
3/3
I think Woolfolk Hunter as a legend would be a more interesting design. as it is istvan's cur doesnt really feel like a black card. Red maybe since it probably will usually deal 2 damage to 3 creatures then die? Interesting with pump effects
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
8/8
This looks like a pure johnny card... very flavorful and i think it would have interesting combos but underpowered as a stan alone
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
2/2
So monogreen partner and background only? Interesting, very powerful but not that many options. I think this looks pretty innovative. The extra commanders do not look so broken
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Scowler, Night Villain
Menace
3/3
Good effects an feels like a fairytale wolf. But this is very pushed. Definitely needs to pump only other wolves an not make itself a 5/5 for 4
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Flash
3/3
Wolf fish, thats really clever... seems like an Ikoria legend, and while the card is mostly green it uses a blue themed trigger, overall I like it as a good multi shot removal creature
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
The Omega-Mother 4UG
4/4
Just awesome, is all I have to say, +1/+1 counters on everything
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Gr'Ynth, Godbiter 2RR
Haste
4/4
Questing Beast inspired? feels not as pushed as QB an more focused
t3
Show
Hide
1 CunningGabe
2 Henlock
3 marioguy3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

1 - slimytrout
2 - netn10
3 - Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

T3 first, critiques if I have time.
T3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. CunningGabe
3. MonoRedMage
HM: marioguy3 -- difficult cut for the T3, would have made it if it were "other wolves..."

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

1. netn10
2. slimytrout
3.kwanyegor

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”