On-the-nose translations of legendary names

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

As everyone knows, a lot of Magic settings are based either loosely or tightly on real-world history and mythology. With that comes names of characters, objects, and places that are derived from real-life languages - and if you are familiar with the language in question, some of them can come off a bit funny in how overly descriptive or obvious they are. For example, "Polukranos" is basically ancient Greek for "many-headed" and "Boseiju" is Japanese for "maternal tree".

Anyone else have a favorite translated legendary name similar to these?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Not sure I'd say it's my favorite, but I was facepalming for not seeing it sooner, was pointed out to me the other day. Sheoldred, Whispering One, Sheol is Hebrew for hollow, the place of the dead, or hell. Seems pretty fitting.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

While this article:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2002-08-09

Claims that "Kird" from Kird Ape is adapted from an Arabic term meaning "jungle", most modern Arabic speakers would parse "Kird" as a phonetic representation/being derived from the Arabic word quird/qird, قرد, meaning ape or monkey.

So Kird Ape is actually Monkey Ape, or even more hilariously, Ape Ape.

EDIT: I am an utter ape myself, the thread clearly states LEGENDARY. :pensive: I'll show myself the door.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

wordbizarre
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by wordbizarre » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Not sure I'd say it's my favorite, but I was facepalming for not seeing it sooner, was pointed out to me the other day. Sheoldred, Whispering One, Sheol is Hebrew for hollow, the place of the dead, or hell. Seems pretty fitting. slope game
This explanation is so fascinating to me, omg.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”