Soldier of Fortune shuffles

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Hey
so tabletop magic, if you resolve Mind's Desire, you only need to shuffle the first time as your deck is now randomized (barring any additional cards that change things, like a card that shows you the top of your library for example)

Okay, so let's say I have Psychogenic Probe and Soldier of Fortune, and I activate SoF multiple times in a turn. Does the player actually need to reshuffle? Do we just resolve the PP trigger and move on?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 1 year ago
I would allow the same shortcut to be made for SoF as is made for Mind's Desire since we are achieving the same thing by simply "skipping" the additional shuffles. However, there is a slight difference in that not all the shuffles are necessarily happening at (more or less) the same time with SoF. If you put a bunch of activations on the stack then the shortcut is basically the same. But if you activate it in the Upkeep and then again in the End Step I might suggest shuffling again. While not a lot of time has passed in game, it is possible a player has forgotten whether someone did anything to manipulate their deck in that time and would suggest the shuffle happen again to be safe.

It likely comes down to a specific context. If one player insists on the additional shuffle in a later step/phase occurring compared to a previous shuffle, I would say to shuffle it. But if everything happens in the same step/phase with no library manipulation happening in between, or if both players agree to omit the physical shuffle, you are fine to just resolve the PP trigger and continue the game.
Go to full post
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

WizardMN
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

I would allow the same shortcut to be made for SoF as is made for Mind's Desire since we are achieving the same thing by simply "skipping" the additional shuffles. However, there is a slight difference in that not all the shuffles are necessarily happening at (more or less) the same time with SoF. If you put a bunch of activations on the stack then the shortcut is basically the same. But if you activate it in the Upkeep and then again in the End Step I might suggest shuffling again. While not a lot of time has passed in game, it is possible a player has forgotten whether someone did anything to manipulate their deck in that time and would suggest the shuffle happen again to be safe.

It likely comes down to a specific context. If one player insists on the additional shuffle in a later step/phase occurring compared to a previous shuffle, I would say to shuffle it. But if everything happens in the same step/phase with no library manipulation happening in between, or if both players agree to omit the physical shuffle, you are fine to just resolve the PP trigger and continue the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”