Prosper: Turbo Tryhard

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 1 year ago

This removes the last of the potential EtB tapped lands. I'd like to also get rid of Shadowblood Ridge, Tainted Peak, Graven Cairns, Spire of Industry and Shizo, Death's Storehouse. These lands always enter untapped and can always make mana - except for Shadowblood in a rare circumstance - so there's no urgency.

I'm having trouble finding the cards for trade that I want to replace those lands with.

Tags:

pzbw7z

I'm thinking about adding primer-like information to this thread, so this post is to store some information taken from Discord replies.

pzbw7z

I'm curious how Entomb and Gamble are used. What cards are typically gotten? I'm sure it's somewhat situational and perhaps these cards are bad when impulsed, especially early. I'd appreciate some information about these two cards.

Fenix

gamble is pretty hard to describe, as with all tutors it's situational
"generally" with gamble I'm looking for mana, naus, or top
you don't usually want to get half of an A+B with gamble because of the risk, but you aren't stopped from trying it you don't think you will get another turn
you can also risk it all and just go for breach and then it will "always hit" if you don't pitch the breach

Grapeshot Enjoyer

Early, early game I'll use Gamble to nab Mana Crypt / Vault, or similarly to what Fenix said, Ad Naus or a "payoff".

Gamble and Entomb are both super beneficial on Breach turns, or if you're setting up for a Breach turn (also Yawg Will if you're on it)

I really only use Entomb on Breach (Yawg Will if you're on it) turns, or occasionally will Entomb a Dockside Extortionist if I have Reanimate in hand and there's enough artifacts/enchantments on board to go off.

Gamble/Entomb also are beneficial tutors if you have Mizzix's Mastery in hand.

HIGH IQ ONLY: Super specific, fringe usage for Entomb -- screw over an opponent who attempts to Praetor's Grasp you by Entombing whatever piece they were planning to go for!

pzbw7z

@Grapeshot Enjoyer That's a super response, thanks very much! As far as Praetor's Grasp, you'd just have to guess right? I mean, Doomsday, Peer into The Abyss, Underworld Breach and more are all potential win-cons. There would be obvious clues, I suppose, the colors the caster is running, boardstate, but still, it would likely still be partly guess work right?

Grapeshot Enjoyer

Ahah yeah. It was more of a joke than anything but it still could be "relevant", it would really be a guessing game though

pzbw7z

In the for-what-it's-worth category, I entered this deck into Cards Realm Commander Deck Power Level Calculator and got a surprising result: 10.

No kidding. I wonder what it would return for a real cEDH deck with all of the good stuff? 11?

In fairness, I also entered my Varina deck and it came back 8, so it's doing something somewhat legitimately, but that score might be a little high too..

pzbw7z

pzbw7z

The adds are all cards that the cool kids are playing - with good reason. Channeler can filter and load the 'yard, Caverns can come into play turn 0 for a early mana boost and Necropotence needs no explanation. I remember playing Necro and Lake of the Dead in Type-2 (Standard today) back in the day.

I don't think the Lake is playable here, even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so that's an expensive card I won't have to scrounge up.

pzbw7z

So, perhaps Imperial Seal|2X2 will soon be a possibility!

pzbw7z

Dark Petition is out, Grim Tutor is in. Grim is a little easier to cast and easier on Ad Nauseam and Bolas's Citadel but more than makes up for that with it's own life loss. It's a marginal improvement, I think.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Why no Vampiric Tutor or Imperial Seal?
Vampiric Tutor is in the list; Imperial Seal was moved from the out of budget list to the wanted list with the Double Masters spoiler release.

Legend
Aethernaut

Okay. I was looking at this list and didn't see it.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Okay. I was looking at this list and didn't see it.
Unfortunately, that list generated by that program isn't entirely accurate or complete. I didn't correct it but I wanted to keep it in case I wanted to do something with it.

pzbw7z

Finally! Cloudstone Curio is in hand! Ruthless Technomancer is out. Techno guy really couldn't pull off the shenanigans.

Chrome Mox is in route courtesy of a trade on Deckbox and Lotus Petal is on order. Cuts will have to be considered; it's getting tough. I don't fancy going below 29 lands (plus one MDFC) even if that's how the cool kids roll. They usually have the Diamonds which are both out of my budget.

pzbw7z

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Imperial Seal was moved from the out of budget list to the wanted list with the Double Masters spoiler release.
And moved right back; presale price around $350. :(

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Doubt it goes too far down either since so far they confirmed they are doing two print runs. They of course could add more but those are so far the only two.

pzbw7z

Lightning Bolt replaces Scheming Symmetry.

Bolt can kill Drannith Magistrate and Symmetry is a horrible, bad, awful, no-good card in Prosper. It's bad when drawn, it's excrement when Prosper impulses it as happened twice last night.

I'm looking for Diabolic Intent and Gamble to improve the tutor density. I've been considering Bolt since the beginning but just never felt any urgency about it. After crossing paths with Magistrate, I knew I wanted something cheap and easy for that.
Last edited by pzbw7z 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

How have Imp's Mischief and Tibalt's Trickery played out? In my experience, reactive cards weren't effective.

What are you cloning with Twin Flame?

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
How have Imp's Mischief and Tibalt's Trickery played out? In my experience, reactive cards weren't effective.

What are you cloning with Twin Flame?
Twinflame combos with Dualcaster Mage. There has to be another creature on the board for the first casting. Then Dualcaster makes a copy of Twinflame, the copy of Twinflame makes a copy of Dualcaster, rinse and repeat until you have enough Dualcaster copies to kill everyone. You break the loop by targeting the original creature.

Imp's Mischief and Tibalt's trickery - and for that matter, Deflecting Swat, Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast are primarily for protecting win-cons and they all work well. I never like to pull the trigger on Doomsday without some protection.

pzbw7z

Shizo, Death's Storehouse and Chandra, Torch of Defiance out, Gamble and Forbidden Orchard in.

Chandra is not really supportive of the turbo plan; she's not a bad card and definitely playable with a more mid-range strategy. Gamble is just a solid staple. Shizo is cool, but not really part of the plan. I do occasionally attack meaningfully with Laelia, the Blade Reforged, but combat isn't part of the plan. Also, with Ad Nauseam and Bolas's Citadel such important cards, I do want to get the curve down.

pzbw7z

Cloudstone Curio is a hoot! Tonight, I had Stitcher's Supplier in play and Underworld Breach and Curio in hand when Prosper flipped up Grim Tutor. Next turn, I got Dockside Extortionist, played Curio and started bouncing, making treasures and milling. I told everyone how I was going to kill them and everybody said okay.

pzbw7z

A spoiler containing text about win-cons was added to the original post.

pzbw7z

More primer-like stuff added to O.P.

pzbw7z

Grinding Station and Diabolic Intent in; Aetherflux Reservoir and Light Up the Stage out.

Grinding Station combos with any mana-neutral or mana-positive rock to self-mill. Underworld Breach is needed to recast the rock. The idea is to search for a win-con and play it from the graveyard.

Diabolic Intent is a staple tutor.

I have mixed feelings about cutting Reservoir, but it's 4-MV and not very good without both Bolas's Citadel and Sensei's Divining Top. Grinding Station is pretty useless on it's own too but all of the cool kids use it and it can do work. I used it tonight with Mana Vault to produce some extra mana while I dug for a way to win. The extra mana was helpful to fire off Peer into the Abyss.

More changes have been made to the original post. I hope to some day transfer everything to a new post and apply for Primer status. Comments on the post are welcome.

pzbw7z

Grinding Station has more utility than I originally thought. Even with just Prosper, one can self-mill a bunch of cards, with Dockside Extortionist, a pile can be exiled with each casting of Dockside. A Dockside - Cloudstone Curio loop is GG.

More work done to O.P.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”