October MCC Round 1 - Research the past

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

MCC-2110.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the cards Untamed Pup and Frenzied Trapbreaker by Randy Vargas.)

October MCC Round 1

Research the past

Leo's set-themed MCCs are back! And it's been a long time, my last set-themed MCC month was for Ikoria, which now is not even in Standard anymore. It was more than a year ago. It was time. And it feels good to be back! This month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Midnight Hunt, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Main Challenge - Design an instant or sorcery card with flashback and/or investigate. DFCs are NOT allowed.

Subchallenge 1 - If your card has flashback, the flashback cost and the mana cost don't share any colors. If your card has investigate, it's not blue. If your card has both, both conditions apply.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is common.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None for now.

If you have any questions, post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, October 9th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Tuesday, October 12th Wednesday, October 13th 23:59 EDT (24-hour extension)

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

Top 4 in each bracket advance to the next round.

Judge: bravelion83

kwanyeegor-ii
Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout

Judge: void_nothing

Freyleyes
Henlock
marioguy3
Subject16
vishamon
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Common Difference U
Sorcery (Common)
Create a 0/0 green and blue Fractal creature token, then put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X's the amount of mana spent to cast this spell.
Flashback XGGG

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Forced Interlude 1u
Instant (C)
Target creature phases out.
Flashback 3w(You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
--
"I'll deal with you later."
-Teferi

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Hide and Seek W
Sorcery (Common)
Exile target creature until a player sacrifices a Clue. That creature's controller investigates. (They create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Some things lost are never found, but there is always a chance for hope to bloom.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Trackers' Compact 2GG
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures you control. For each creature you put a +1/+1 counter on this way, investigate and you gain 1 life.
Three is the ideal number of sleuths to find all possibilities but not lose the trail.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Contaminate the Crime Scene 1B
Instant {U}
Until your next turn, if an opponent would investigate, you investigate instead.
Investigate. (Create a Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Flashback 2U (You may cast this spell from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 years ago

Search for the Hidden Valley 1G
Sorcery {C}
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Flashback 3W (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Last edited by Freyleyes 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Mysterious Absence 1W
Instant (C)
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step. When you do, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
When Vinter returned home a decade later looking as young as the day he left, of course people had questions.

Apellosine

Post by Apellosine » 2 years ago

EDIT: Missed primary part of challenge, please remove from contention.
Last edited by Apellosine 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Collective Investigation
Instant (Common)
You and your teammates each gain 1 life, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying, and investigate (Each player creates a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Those who created a world full of blight must see the light of group investment.
Last edited by marioguy3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Open the Case
Sorcery (C)
Scry 1, then investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Flashback — , Exile a creature card from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
After inspection of the crime scene, victims' bodies are sent to professional surgeons.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Contested Evidence w
Instant (r)
Choose a card name. Spells with the chosen name can't be cast this turn.
, Sacrifice three Clues: Return Contested Evidence from your graveyard to your hand.
Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

The round is closed. Brackets are as follows. Top 4 in each bracket advance, which means the last one in each bracket is eliminated.

BRACKETS

Judge: bravelion83

kwanyeegor-ii
Lorn Asbord Schutta
netn10
RaikouRider
slimytrout

Judge: void_nothing

Freyleyes
Henlock
marioguy3
Subject16
vishamon

Judgments complete.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Trackers' Compact 2GG
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures you control. For each creature you put a +1/+1 counter on this way, investigate and you gain 1 life.
Three is the ideal number of sleuths to find all possibilities but not lose the trail.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes making his big creatures even bigger. Johnny can probably use the counters somehow. Spike is the least interested of the three, even though she does like card draw.
Elegance 3/3 - Not too long and easy to understand.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules. I appreciate the boldness of giving this card the right rarity despite the subchallenge.
Balance 3/3 - The first comparison the comes to mind is Incremental Growth. This puts half the +1/+1 counters but has additional upside. Maybe the mana cost should have been the same, five mana? Three +1/+1 counters, investigate up to three times and gain up to 3 life is certainly worth four mana. How much would a 3/3 with "ETB, investigate three times and gain 3 life" cost? Four or five mana? I don't know the answer, it also probably depends on the limited environment it lives in. In the end, it might be a strong four-mana card but certainly not broken. Playable in limited if you have room for it, after all this card has certainly an immediate impact. That's also the reason I could see it in constructed, even if only in Standard and definitely not as an auto-include or a four-of, but in some decks it can probably shine. I see no problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Doing something for each creature you put a counter on is new, and it feels original to me, but it also feels like an easy place to go to, especially on a card that distributes counters.
Flavor 3/3 - I had to look for the meaning of "compact" as a noun, I only knew it as an adjective. Google says "a small flat case containing face powder, a mirror, and a powder puff. That's the meaning I guess you were going for, and it's good, but the definition sounds more like an artifact to me. Despite that, it fits the card concept very well, as does the flavor text. I like the flavor that the three sleuths are the creatures you put the counters on and that they are the ones who investigate, and you investigate three times if you put the counters on three different creatures. Excellent union of flavor and mechanics.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - For each creature you put a +1/+1 counter on this way" is an unusual template and I haven't been able to find any precedent for it, but it looks plausible enough to me. No deductions for that. Investigate is not evergreen so it needs reminder text. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Not blue, not common.
TOTAL 22.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 years ago
Open the Case
Sorcery (C)
Scry 1, then investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Flashback — , Exile a creature card from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
After inspection of the crime scene, victims' bodies are sent to professional surgeons.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I don't see much for Timmy here. Johnny can use this to dig for combo pieces. Spike likes to play this in a control deck.
Elegance 3/3 - This is very simple, especially for a mix-and-match card. It's short and very easy to understand. It would be hard to do better than this.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Scry is in all colors, especially scry 1, so white can certainly do it. Investigate is in Bant colors, though yes, I know Foul Play exists and it's in the latest set, but it's the only black card with investigate ever printed, I checked. Flashback is in all colors. I have no problems with this at common, it's short and very easy to understand. No problems with the rules either.
Balance 2.5/3 - Preordain is banned in Modern, and it's "scry 2, draw 1". This is "scry 1, you may pay 2, if you do, draw 1". It looks fine to me, maybe underwhelming in the comparison, but for the same mana value you had to make a weaker card. But then there is the upside of flashback, and the flashback cost is as low as it can be. I could see this in limited thought it won't probably always make the cut. Maybe as a double cantrip in constructed control decks? No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing new here. The flashback cost reminds me of escape, that is a flashback variant. Old elements put together in a technically new way.
Flavor 3/3 - I like the name and flavor text and I could see them printed as is. I really like the double meaning of the name: start to investigate on a crime, or open an investigator's handbag with their tools in it. Very good job!
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the reminder text of investigate, the 2 should be a mana symbol (2 instead of {2}, -0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. I didn't say the flashback cost couldn't be blue if you had investigate, only the mana cost.
TOTAL 21/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Common Difference U
Sorcery (Common)
Create a 0/0 green and blue Fractal creature token, then put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X's the amount of mana spent to cast this spell.
Flashback XGGG
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy is excited for the flashback side, when you can get an arbitrarily large token as long as you have the mana to pay it. The "front side" of this card, a 1/1 Fractal, is too small to interest him. Johnny can find some unintended way to use the tokens, or do something like using the flashback here as a finisher of some kind of infinite mana engine. I don't see much skill required to play this card in the best way, so I don't see Spike interested here.
Elegance 1/3 - No problems the first time you cast it from your hand, you create a 1/1 Fractal, that's clear. But then, when you flash this back, what is X? Is it still "the amount of mana spent to cast this spell" (whatever X + 3 is, so the Fractal is at least a 3/3), or is it the X in the flashback cost (so that you would have to spend four mana for a 1/1 Fractal for example)? It's not clear. I would remove the X from the flashback cost, but having a variable flashback cost is probably the point of the card, seeing how it determines how big the Fractal is. How about writing "Flashback — Pay any amount of mana"? You lose the triple colored mana, that's true. You could write "Pay any amount of green mana", but it's still not the same. I'm trying to find a way to have a variable flashback cost without having an X in it and I'm not finding it. At worst, use another variable, like YGGG. But then we're definitely out of common territory, spells with a single variable X aren't really common these days, let alone spells with two different variables. We'd get close to The Ultimate Nightmare of Wizards of the Coast® Customer Service.
Development
Viability 2/3 - This is a Quandrix card in Quandrix colors, that's good. As I just said, despite some existing, X spells are not really a common thing nowadays. This card should have probably been uncommon, despite the subchallenge. No problems with the rules, only the ambiguity about X's that I've already written about.
Balance 2.5/3 - Playable in limited as a 1/1 in the early game that doubles as a big creature in the late game. A 1/1 for one mana is underwhelming in constructed, maybe in a self-mill deck to use directly the flashback? No problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing new here. Plenty of Fractals are in Strixhaven, and I can also remember caring about the amount of mana spent to cast a spell. This essentially feels like Quandrix meets flashback. Only technically new, in the sense that it has never been done before, but I can't say this feels original. At least it doesn't to me.
Flavor 1.5/3 - I'm not a fan of the word "common" in the card name, even if this is indeed a common card and there is precedent. Searching Gatherer for that word in the card name returns only four black-bordered cards ever: Archway Commons and Guildless Commons (where it actually has another meaning), Common Bond, and Common Cause. There are also Common Courtesy and Common Iguana in silver border. All those names look stronger that this one to me. I like the word "difference" on a Quandrix flavored card though. I only wish the card made you calculate a literal subtraction somehow. No flavor text, despite there being room for it.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - "where X's" should be "where X is". (-0.5) Flashback is not evergreen so it needs reminder text (-0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 16/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Contaminate the Crime Scene 1B
Instant {U}
Until your next turn, if an opponent would investigate, you investigate instead.
Investigate. (Create a Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Flashback 2U (You may cast this spell from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I don't see Timmy caring too much about this card. Johnny will try finding unintended ways to force the opponent, and thus himself, to investigate. Spike likes that this is an instant, so that she's able to cast this in response to an opponent investigating when they least expect it. They will see it coming the second time, when she flashes this back, but she still likes the card.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here. The first ability has a new template but the replacement effect is perfectly worded.
Development
Viability 3/3 - The only black card with investigate ever printed is Foul Play in MID. For the rest investigate is in Bant colors, but if black can use investigate now, stealing it to other players is probably the best way to do it. That first ability does feel black, and blue can certainly do it with flashback. This card fits both black's will to do everything for power and blue's trickery. I agree that this card is not common, and I'm happy to see it at uncommon despite the subchallenge. I don't think there are any problems with the rules, I believe they support stealing investigate, and even if they don't it would be easy to adjust them.
Balance 2.5/3 - The costs look fine to me. The reactive nature of this card helps the balance, even though you may still play it in a proactive way if you don't want to or can't use the first ability for some reason and you just want to investigate yourself. The former pushes this towards being just a sideboard card but the latter lets this card have some use besides that, both in limited and constructed. No problems in casual or multiplayer. In particular, "an opponent" makes choosing the opponent you want to steal investigate from an interesting choice in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Stealing your opponent's investigations feels new and original. The rest of the card not as much.
Flavor 2/3 - The name and card concept are very good. MSE shows me a couple of lines of flavor text would have fit in the M15 frame.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - The costs doesn't share any colors and the card isn't blue, but it's also not a common.
TOTAL 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Mysterious Absence 1W
Instant (C)
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step. When you do, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
When Vinter returned home a decade later looking as young as the day he left, of course people had questions.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes to save his big creatures from removal by flickering them in response and also being rewarded with a Clue for doing it. Johnny is brewing some decks abusing ETB triggers and using Clues in a different way than intended. Spike likes both playing this in response to removal and abusing ETB triggers, and obviously she also loves card draw.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here. Not too long and very easy to understand. I also really appreciate the reflexive trigger.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - The costs look fine. Playable to save a creature from removal or to abuse ETB triggers, we've seen flickering spells played in both limited and sometimes constructed, and I don't think this card makes a difference. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Flickering is nothing new, and this is just another twist on it. Tying another action to the creature returning feels a bit original, but it's certainly not groundbreaking.
Flavor 3/3 - I'm in love with the flavor of this card despite being more of a Mel than a Vorthos. Vinter going away and returning a decade later is an excellent mirror of the creature getting exiled now and then returning after some time, at end of turn, and flavorfully it's of course the same creature even if mechanically it's a different object. And of course that would raise questions! I'd give you extra points here if I could. In the meantime, get your full points here.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 23.5/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 23.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta: 21
RaikouRider: 21

netn10: 16
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes mana accel but overall the effect is a bit small for them. Jxnny likes fiddly effects. Getting out two lands is good but that possibility is a bit too unreliable for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant indeed.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Fits perfectly at common. The flashback cost being white, though, is at least a bend: white more or less only can put lands onto the battlefield as part of a "catch-up" effect.
(3/3) Balance - Swingy, but only swings from underwhelming to good: Investigate is a nice thing to have instead of a total whiff but is definitely not worth the mana for the spell in the first place.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - No part of the effect is very new, but the investigate as a contingency effect is nice thinking and there's no flashback card that can put any land onto the battlefield untapped; the closest ones are Deep Reconnaissance and Path to the Festival.
(3/3) Flavor - Name works very well with the effect.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both done.

Total: 21.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not much here for Txmmy, but there's plenty of appeal for Jxnny and especially Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A little fiddly but basically okay.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Very definitely white and rare.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - potentially strong as long as you know what's in an opponent's hand. Hosers like this can shut down decks but have to be used skilfully.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of precedent for this in white but the recursion ability is new.
(3/3) Flavor - Great name/effect matchup.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - With the investigate being part of the main spell effect, it needs to be on the next line after the first effect, with the activated ability from the graveyard being below that.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Is rare.

Total: 20.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - It's all a bit low-key for Txmmy. Jxnny is the kind of person who would like a format featuring four-player teams anyhow (Archenemy?). Spike likes the sheer value on offer for such a low CMC common.
(3/3) Elegance - Nothing that complicated in a general sense going on here.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This has a bunch of effects and can affect multiple players, which makes it a bit complex for common, and even a bit powerful, assuming it's meant for a 2HG draft format. White is correct however.
(2.5/3) Balance - As noted this could be quite good for common in a team draft situation.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - All very old effects, but the team aspect has not been explored much.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Name is fine although it doesn't really explain all of the effects. Flavor text is… a non-sequitur.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Missing a period after "investigate" and the mana symbol in the copy-pasted reminder text.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 18.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - A Txmmy with Jxnny leanings would probably have an absurd fantasy with this card of using it as forever-exile by destroying the Clue. Jxnny and Spike both like cheap blinks/cheap removal but desperately wish the card were an instant.
(3/3) Elegance - Can't go wrong with this. I'd give MORE elegance points if I could.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - White's definitely right. Card just FEELS more uncommon than common however.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing wrong here - sorcery speed makes this less of a high-impact card than an instant would be.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Definitely a mashup of blink and Oblivion Ring type effects, but they're combined in a really interesting way here.
(3/3) Flavor - Very serviceable. Flavor text writing doesn't say anything profound but it's still a good short piece.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - The name Hide and Seek is effectively already used by Hide // Seek.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.

Total: 21.5/25
vishamon
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Very small-scale for Txmmy to care. Jxnny typically would prefer "real" blink, unless there were something specific they were doing with phasing (Warping Wurm...?). Spike appreciates the utility in Limited.
(3/3) Elegance - An effect so simple I have basically no argument against it.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity right for sure.
(2.5/3) Balance - A bit underpowered if anything. Phase out is often less powerful than blinking because it doesn't allow for repeated ETB abilities, among other things, so this card's big saving grace is flashback.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Very much like a colors-inverted Momentary Blink.
(3/3) Flavor - Sure - the name and flavor text both make sense. Teferi knew Jaya so he studied one-liners under a master.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks alright.

Total: 20.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Freyleyes 21.5
Subject16 21.5
Henlock 20.5
vishamon 20.5

marioguy3 18.5
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”